PDA

View Full Version : Sad Off Season for Titans Fans...

JMiah
06-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, nor am I saying that the Titans won't have an O.K. season this year but...

I am truly disappointed with this years off season for the Titans. Sure, I am not a front office G.M. but it seems like with every single window of opportunity the Titans had to get a quality player or grow in any position, they failed.

Here are my main issues with the Titans off season

1. Disappointing draft... If we wanted to get a WR, why not get a quality one in the first round rather than 8 of them in the later rounds? The Titans have a 2nd year QB that now has no experience to throw to... nice Titans...

2. What happened to the trade for Turner... Sure they wanted a lot, but with the way we spent our picks, we should have shipped them and got a guy that we all know can perform at the NFL level...

3. Henry, really... I'm not totally off on the guy, but wow! Having only him and Fatty Fat Fat on the backfield may prove a 2-14 record with no WR help...

4. Why did we let everyone go in free agency? Bennett? Why? Henry? Why?

5. Pac-Man...

6. VY on the cover of Madden... look forward to getting hurt for the season...

7. Not only did the Titans let everyone leave, but they didn't sign anyone huge via free agency. There were guys out there, but come on...

I suppose we can look forward to getting a top 3 pick in the draft and maybe getting McFadden next year...

Cashmoney
06-02-2007, 11:12 AM
If one of the two rbs do well this year we wont be as bad as people think. plus as long as lamont is not playing in the secondary it will be better

aNYtitan
06-02-2007, 08:48 PM
1.Just because you draft a WR high does not mean that he will become your instant #1 WR. Sure the majority of the board thought that we should have gone with Meachem, but Griffin will be a great safety in my opinion, and allows us to get rid of our Achilles heal in Lamont Thompson. Chris Henry in the second was surprising, but he has alot of boom-bust on him, and it is possible that he does hit. We just have to hope that LenDale does something productive.

2.Turner was not really worth that much. A first and a third for a RB that faced defenses that were worn down by LT. I rather just wait til the offseason and sign him or someone else then go after a guy who could possibly get injured just like that. Not to say that he wont be a star, but he isn't worth basically your entire first day for.

3.Henry will prove people wrong, I really feel he will. Like I said, LenDale has to show some willingness to work though

4.Bennet wanted #1 WR money and he isn't worth it. Lets face it, he is a good #2 possesion WR. One of our WR's is bound to breakout this season

5.He was having too much fun, but hey its Pacman

6.I agree, though I really hope it doesn't happen

7.Asante Samuel-Franchise tag
Dwight Freeney-Franchise tag
Nate Clements-Highest paid defensive player in the NFL now
Donte Stallworth-Another overrated #2 WR

I don't think there was anybody else really worth signing that would help the Titans though

TitanHope
06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I remember when Kyle Vanden Bosch was the biggest signing the Titans made in the offseason, and I was ticked. And look how that turned out...

1. We didn't have the best draft on the first day. There were questions at every position. But, if Michael Griffin helps fill in our secondary, no matter what position he's at there, then its a good pick. The coaching staff thinks Chris Henry is Larry Johnson 2.0, and some college players are just more successful in the pros than they were in college (ie. Terrell Davis and Willie Parker). And Paul Williams has just as many physical tools as Meachem and Bowe, he just underachieved due to injuries. He has just as much of a chance to turn into a #1 reciever than those previously listed, and has less of a risk factor due to being picked in the 3rd. Not to mention, there are probably more 2nd and 3rd round #1 receivers in the game than those taken in the first.

2. The Chargers wanted a 1st and a 3rd for Turner. He may be better than a rookie RB, but a back-up RB isn't worth that much. No matter who he plays behind.

3. If LenWhale can stay on track on his Curves program and learn a little more discipline, him and Henry can provide the power run game we need. If we have a power run game, we don't need amazing receivers, especially with a QB like Vince at the helm. And if Henry lives up to potential, he will be a reliable RB. And if both LenDale and Henry live up to their hype, we could have an amazing three headed monster with Vince, LenDale, and Henry.

4. Bennett wasn't worth resigning, and him being our lead receiver last year is misleading. He wasn't that vital to the team, but he was an experienced WR who was arguably the most reliable target. But, he would have cost more than he was worth, so the GM didn't see a reason to resign him. The Henry loss sort of puzzles me, but the bottom line is that he wanted more money and the front office disagreed. But, if he gets caught tokin' once more, the Broncos are out a running back for the year. LenDale White + Chris Henry > Travis Henry...hopefully. ;)

5. PacMan doesn't think.

6. The Madden Curse doesn't exist. People make up things to prove that it does, such as Eddie George having a poor season statistically or Barry Sanders retiring. Vince's cat could die, and its the Madden Curse's fault. Vince Young will not get hurt.

7. I dissappointed in the lack of Free Agency presence as well, but, our new GM is the former cap management whatever for the Seahawks (I dunno his official title), so having a conservative approach in Free Agency. His whole job was to make sure the 'Hawks didn't spend too much. So we can look forward to never being in cap hell ever again, but never make a humongous splash in FA, unless there's a guy we just have to have. This will allow us to keep our own players and have the money to resign them. The only weakness about this is having to mainly build through the draft. While its a great strategy, there really isn't much room for error.

Just because things look grim, it doesn't mean we're doomed. Vince Young isn't a kid out of college anymore, and neither are the other WR's (the ones we didn't just draft, that is) and the rest of the team. They're professional players who will take care of business. I have faith in them stepping it up.

Pit Bull #53
06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I think, despite the unproven RBs we have, that our running game will be at least solid. I think this because we have a good OL with 2 young OT's and a young OG with another year under their belts, a great veteran leader at Center that still has gas in the tank, and Olson is a solid run blocker at times. If they perform the same way they did last year, then that will be great.

Then we have Hall at FB, who hits like a hammer. I remember last year after we signed him someone on here predicted Troy Fleming would beat him out. See how that turned out, haha. Hall fits in perfectly with what Fish and Chow like to do, he can block in the power run game, run the ball himself a little, and can catch and run with a pretty good burst.

Add in VY's running and I think we'll be solid. Hell, we did fine with Ed George's sub 4.0 YPC running for years...I think LenDale and Henry can at least do that. Now we just need LenWhale to get his ass in shape and on the practice field.

OzTitan
06-05-2007, 10:21 PM
1. Disappointing draft... If we wanted to get a WR, why not get a quality one in the first round rather than 8 of them in the later rounds? The Titans have a 2nd year QB that now has no experience to throw to... nice Titans...

So far these "quality" 1st rounders have impressed little. Meachem turned up over weight and is now battling an injury issue, Bowe is starting slow from what I read, and DJ was never a value pick at 19. They may all turn out fine, but none were can't miss picks at 19 and we'd still have no experience to throw to with one anyway.

2. What happened to the trade for Turner... Sure they wanted a lot, but with the way we spent our picks, we should have shipped them and got a guy that we all know can perform at the NFL level...

But as a starter, he's basically as much as a wild card as LenDale and Henry. It's a totally different game starting when you don't have LT in front of you.

3. Henry, really... I'm not totally off on the guy, but wow! Having only him and Fatty Fat Fat on the backfield may prove a 2-14 record with no WR help...

It may, or it may work out great. Teams regularly leave their HB position up to unproven potential players, it's how the HB position works. Who the hell was Chris Brown when we started him?

4. Why did we let everyone go in free agency? Bennett? Why? Henry? Why?

Why spend money on a player who made the WR position poor when he was here to begin with? He wasn't worth what the Rams paid him, not for us as a #1 anyway. He's cut out for a team where he's the #2 or #3.

Henry, well that was a combination of money and age. I read comments suggesting the Seahawks were silly to pay an aged pro bowl caliber HB in Alexander but the general consensus seems to be the Titans were stupid to let Henry go at 29, with one good season in recent years, which coincidently started just as VY entered the lineup and our OL was reshuffled. Plus he was a suspension risk due to weed. If we're prepared to draft a HB in the second, you've got to be prepared to hand the work load over to him when the time comes - as I said, every team hands it over to a no name sooner or later; usually reasonably regularly.

5. Pac-Man...

It sucks, I know, but I still stand by the opinion he was the best choice for us in 05 so I can't fault the FO really. He was probably out best defender though so that will sting although perhaps not in a linear sense - our 07 D may have been that much better with Pacman, but without him we can still be a lot better than 06, as Hill and Thompson's ineffectiveness simply canceled out Pacman's presence most of the time. Two solid corners and two solid safeties are better for the team than one great corner, one solid safety, and two horrible players on the other side. I think there's reason to believe our secondary will be better in 07 and our overall defense because of it.

6. VY on the cover of Madden... look forward to getting hurt for the season...

He was also on the cover of SI before the Rose Bowl amongst other times, which has its own curse, but I get the feeling people will be crying "curse!" if VY fails to get above a 80 QB rating when in reality, he's still a developing QB with a ways to go. If he gets hurt, then that will suck, but it wouldn't be the first time he defied a "curse" if he doesn't, and it also wouldn't be the first time a scramble friendly QB was injured in the NFL either. It happens.

7. Not only did the Titans let everyone leave, but they didn't sign anyone huge via free agency. There were guys out there, but come on...

Anyone huge, like who? The only big name player who I think we even had a chance on was Clements and I'm glad we didn't pay what the 49ers did for him. FA stank this year - teams aren't built via FA, they are patched via FA, and it's often the less likely signings that end up being the best patch work players anyway. Case in point, Giants fans when they signed Arrington - it's great for a positive distraction to keep the offseason interesting but FA has a pretty high failure rate and is severely overrated.

I suppose we can look forward to getting a top 3 pick in the draft and maybe getting McFadden next year...

If we can have an 8-8 record with a rookie QB, crappy WR's, a crappy DL, Peter Sirmon and Lamont Thompson, I don't see the need to be pessimistic myself. We have the potential to be bad but I have many reasons to believe we can be good too.

iKNOW
06-08-2007, 12:44 AM
...some college players are just more successful in the pros than they were in college (ie. Terrell Davis and Willie Parker).

t.davis and fast willie were late round picks or free agents. that is when you should reach for a player without much college production. if not for his workout and 40 times, he would've been a FA. bust.

serious disappoint for the titans. sign chris brown at least. this poor offseason is not good for the longevity of VY as he's gonna have to do a lot more running and take more hits.

possible FA they could've brought in:
WR stallworth and washington - although i dont see them as pro bowlers, they are a huge improvement over the collection of WRs currently on the roster.

no real RB targets this year. turner was too costly. although good, it was risky for that asking price. i would rather have liked to see them take tony hunt or michael bush in the draft....but chris henry?

JMiah
06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I like most of the responses to my questions about the Titans...

I just wonder if we are letting our love for our team get in the way of clear thinking about what this year will really be like?

I reality... we are pretty thin and young on O... 2nd year QB... Fat 2nd year RB/Rookie who avg. 3 yards a carry in COLLEGE/WR-??? lets be honest...

Those are some key positions, and I am not saying we will stink up the joint week in week out, but I am a little worried!

Phrost
06-16-2007, 05:04 AM
I don't understand the Titans fans call for rookie WRs. You should want VET WRs. WR have proven(next to QB) to be the hardest position for most players to become fully accustomed to in the pros. You should have preferred trading a 4th for Moss or something along those lines.

Rookie WR + 2nd yr QB < Vet WR + 2nd yr QB

Cashmoney
06-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Randy moss is not welcome to becoming a titan

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I actually think Vince Young will be the one to absolutely shatter the Madden Curse theory. Young is a freakin stud, and he'll do whatever is needed to win. People calling Cutler god, more like Vince is god!

Cashmoney
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
it seems as if pacman is in more trouble, he's obviously an idiot and deserves every punishment he gets.

BufFan71
06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
with the signing of Chris Brown u can expect 1,000yds and 5-7 td's

IF he stays healthy and doesnt take all the carries

Cashmoney
06-20-2007, 06:34 PM
with the signing of Chris Brown u can expect 1,000yds and 5-7 td's

IF he stays healthy and doesnt take all the carries

yea hes been a titan his whole career so we know all about him, and i gurantee he won't get 1000. he'll either get injured or not get enough carries to get there. we still need a #1 receiver in the worst way. and a couple d-lineman

HEISMANHERSCHEL
06-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Guys, I was reading your post, and I had to give my two cents...

I am a big Longhorn fan, so I follow your team because yall drafted the best college quarterback I ever watched (and my favorite, VY). I was totally surprised when yall drafted Griffin. Not the pick I would have made, considering your WR corp...

However, I watch all the Longhorn games. The truth is, Michael Huff looked like a great safety. He was fast, and could do everything well. But when everyone was talking about him being a top ten pick, I couldnt beleive it. I think there have been very few safeties worth a top ten pick in the last several years. Huff was not one of them, but he ran a great 40 time, and was the talk of the town.

I think Griffin is on the same level as Huff was. I think Huff was a solid 1st round pick, and so is Griffin. I personally like Griffin a little more, as I think he is a good safety, whereas Huff was more versatile. Huff was better at cb, whereas Griffin was a true safety.

I dont understand why one might want to put Griffin at cb. I think you guys will be pleased with him at safety. He is always around the ball. I would have drafted someone else, but Griffin wasnt a bad pick. Trust me, I have watched him a lot. You could have done worse.

By the way, my heart broke when I saw all the Houston Texan fans wearing Texan jerseys with #10 and "Young" on the back.

Cashmoney
06-21-2007, 10:41 AM
well i wish we would have drafted aaron ross the cb if we were just gonna move griffin to cb all along anyways. i dont see the point in drafting a safety to move them to cb when there are very good cb's left on the board. plus ross had some punt return ability.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
06-22-2007, 02:52 AM
I think you are 100% correct. I would have taken Ross, based on need. He is good on returns, too. I'm not sure Ross would replace Packman, but he could do multiple things for your team.

After reading my post again, let me clarify. I don't think Huff was bad at all, just not that much better than Griffin.

By the way, was Lamont Thompson really that bad? I thought safety was supposed to be one of the stronger areas of the team. Griffin may be an upgrade over Thompson, but who knows.

I am just really frustrated with the offseason of the Titans in general. I'm not trying to bring anybody down. I admittedly do not watch as much Titan games as you guys, so maybe your needs were addressed. Please, give me your imput.

OzTitan
06-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Griffin won't stay at CB. I think they're just training up his coverage skills as it is his biggest weakness. Herndon, Harper, Hill and Finnegan should be in the top 4 for CB's, I think Griffin will be taking reps at S by training camp gets going.

Lamont is that bad. He is terrible. Easily in contention for the worst starting S in the league. The impression I get from him when he's playing is he hopes somebody else will make the tackle, make the coverage, make the play. He shouldn't be out there.

Pit Bull #53
06-22-2007, 05:28 PM
By the way, was Lamont Thompson really that bad? I thought safety was supposed to be one of the stronger areas of the team. Griffin may be an upgrade over Thompson, but who knows.

Here's your answer:

Jamal (Wisconsin): Titans fans were excited about the Griffin pick when they thought Lamont Thompson would be gone... now that Griffin is working at corner, I need to know: How bad exactly is Thompson?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif KC Joyner: Thompson is really, really bad. He ranked next to last in YPA and 30th in success percentage.

My only question is who the hell was worse?!!

49ersfan_87
06-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Here's your answer:

My only question is who the hell was worse?!!

Probably Mike Adams.

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Technically Michael Griffin is only a nickelback.

islandboy843
07-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Griffin should just play S because Thompson gots to go.

Cashmoney
07-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Griffin should just play S because Thompson gots to go.

youre preaching to the choir my friend

islandboy843
07-03-2007, 12:58 AM
I think Finnegan and Herndon will be good enough.

I still think we should have traded for Samuel and keep Henry.

stephenson86
07-03-2007, 05:53 AM
griffin has to play safety, if he doesnt and we use him at corner after signing herndon harper and also having finnegen and hill then i will throw up in LT's hair