PDA

View Full Version : Future OL

DaBears9654
06-02-2007, 12:06 AM
What does everybody think it might look like? We have a possibility in place, as follows (without left or right for tackles or guards b/c I don't know about which side any of them are suited to play on).

T-Travis LeFew, Aaron Brandt
G-Tyler Reed, Tyler McMeans
C-Josh Beekman

And please, don't rip me too badly. I'm not predicting that this will be the future line. I'm saying it's possible. In actuality, only some of this quintet may even make the team this season. The 2 most likely, imo, would be Beekman & Reed. Another thing I think concerning Beekman is that the Bears will probably do with him as the Saints did with LeCharles Bentley: have him play guard for a season or 2 and then take over @ center.

Smokey Joe
06-02-2007, 10:01 AM
If that's our future OL, then we suck.

bearsfan_51
06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Why would you make this thread when you admitted in your own post that it's never going to happen.

Metcalf and Garza are still pretty young too.

DaBears9654
06-02-2007, 11:07 AM
If that's our future OL, then we suck.
How can you already say that? All 5 of those players are unproven; we have not a clue how good or bad they could be. Obviously, Reed didn't impress the coaches enough to make the 53-man roster, but did impress enough to last all season on the PS.
Why would you make this thread when you admitted in your own post that it's never going to happen.
B/c I'm curious about what others think the line might look like in the future, since our current starters are so old.

And Garza, I'd call more upper mid-range in terms of NFL experience, heading into his 7th year.

Smokey Joe
06-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Kreutz will be staying a bear until he retires, and that could be for another 7-8 years, as he is only 30.

bearfan
06-02-2007, 03:57 PM
We have depth at G w/ Beekman, Reed, Metcalf, and center we arent bad off at depth either.

C-Kruetz (next 5 years at least)
G-Beekman
G-Garza
T-
T-

Tackle is our weakest depth, and future wise so far IMO

Smokey Joe
06-02-2007, 08:05 PM
C - Kruetz
RG - Beekman
LG - Early draft choice
RT - FA/Early draft choice
LT - Same ^

bearsfan_51
06-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Garza will be our starting guard for at least the next 4-5 years if he can stay healthy. All we need to replace in the next 2-3 years is Miller (obviously I'm assuming Metcalf/Beekman takes over for Brown). Tait can move to RT and still have another 4-5 quality years in the league.

Smokey Joe
06-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Having Beekman or Metcalf at LG would be atrocious... They are big run blockers, who aren't very good pullers. If anyone from the current team replaces Brown, it would likely be Reed.

bearsfan_51
06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Having Beekman or Metcalf at LG would be atrocious... They are big run blockers, who aren't very good pullers. If anyone from the current team replaces Brown, it would likely be Reed.

Ok then Garza at LG. Whatever. Beekman is going to start somewhere sooner rather than later. They didn't draft him to have him sit behind Reed, who didn't even crack the active roster last year.

Smokey Joe
06-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Ok then Garza at LG. Whatever. Beekman is going to start somewhere sooner rather than later. They didn't draft him to have him sit behind Reed, who didn't even crack the active roster last year.
Garza can barely move either with his knees being held together with screws and such.

Hurricane Ditka
06-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Reed is never going to start, neither is Brant. Beekman will be starting by the end of the year. Kruetz will probably be starting for another 3 or 4 years. I think next year we'll see a left tackle drafted fairly early, and then eased in moving Tait back to Right tackle, before eventually replacing him.

bearfan
06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I think next years draft would probably be the year that we start to build OL. Im not sure of contracts, and who is up next year, but I know both CBs are, so I would count on a CB also. I think an OL in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th would be good (pending on position, and who is avaliable)

awfullyquiet
06-03-2007, 04:35 AM
the strat is..
move tait to RT, where he's better fit.
put money in a LT like none other.
miller will be gone in 2 years.
kreutz is our franchise center.
garza will be hanging on for 3-5 more years, he still moves alright. he's a decent starter.
LG will be beekman in a year.
reed i think just needs a few more years.

DaBears9654
06-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm going to rephrase something I said when I started this thread. I have a feeling Beekman will be a guard until Kreutz is no longer a Bear, then move to center.