PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Stewart

SenorGato
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Does anyone else think this guy is the second best back in the draft?

While I know college production is a big factor, but I think in many, many early draft rankings many ignore just how important an NFL body and skillset actually is.

Stewart is fast, big, strong, breaks tackles, never stops moving, and has the perfect NFL body.

Meanwhile guys like Steve Slaton are...quick and fast.

I don't know about you, but I think the former is way better for the NFL, wouldn't most agree?

Personally, I have Stewart as my second best RB prospect in the draft, and he's quickly becoming my favorite overall prospect.

Thoughts?

HoopsDemon12
06-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Ya i really think he is the second best back, and with a solid season i think he could be on of the top prospects in the draft. the question is, was he good just cahsing that huge contract? using it as motivation? who knows but he strong fast and a very good RUNNING back. he knows what to do and is one of my favortie prospects as well in the draft

BuddyCHRIST
06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I think most people here have him number 2, very few people actually have Slaton 2.

DorianSmith
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Stewart hasnt done anything in collage but he does have an NFL body if you cant gain yards agianst The Pac-10 how are you gonna gan yards agianst the NFL

Sniper
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Well Stewart needs to produce, but on potential alone he is #2 in this draft. I'm not a big Slaton fan and of his competition and spread O, but he still has produced and stayed pretty healthy, which is more than we can say for Mr. Stewart. I've liked Stewart ever since he came out of HS, and I really think he can be a special player

OhioState
06-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I think that Stewart is really overrated based on his measureables. There are a few other guys who could be better that him

duckseason
06-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Lets just all hope he can stay healthy this year. After the warm-up game against Houston, we'll be going to the Big House in Ann Arbor on Sep 8th. So we should all be treated to seeing a fully healthy Stewart against a Big-10 powerhouse on one of college football's biggest stages. Let's hope they don't do to Stewart what we did to Chris Perry when they visited our house a few years ago.

Scott Wright
06-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I love him but he needs to stay healthy. Definite first round potential in my opinion though.

HoopsDemon12
06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
ya the big thing is the production.... he has tons of potential... and there are some players who were better pro's than in college, its to early to tell where he is gonna go but is a first round POTENTIAL pick

TouchdownUSC
06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
who do you guys think the third best rb in the draft is? brandon ore? slaton?

Sniper
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
who do you guys think the third best rb in the draft is? brandon ore? slaton?

By pro prospects or collegiate production? If by collegiate, you could make a case for a bunch of guys. Ore, Slaton, Hart, Beanie Wells, James Davis, CJ Spiller, Felix Jones etc..

Sniper
06-02-2007, 09:21 PM
By pro prospects or collegiate production? If by collegiate, you could make a case for a bunch of guys. Ore, Slaton, Hart, Beanie Wells, James Davis, CJ Spiller, Felix Jones etc..

Edit: Didn't read the whole question. I'm an idiot. I like Jones and Davis, as well as Ore

Ho0k Em'
06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
uhhhhh most people.

jbeans187
06-02-2007, 09:51 PM
If Chris Henry was the 50th pick in the draft for his measurables, Stewart will be the second back taken bc he has similar measurables and way more production

Sportsfan486
06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Well Stewart needs to produce, but on potential alone he is #2 in this draft. I'm not a big Slaton fan and of his competition and spread O, but he still has produced and stayed pretty healthy, which is more than we can say for Mr. Stewart. I've liked Stewart ever since he came out of HS, and I really think he can be a special player

It's not like he's Chris Henry here, he's done OKAY/GOOD when he's been healthy.

Def. the number 2 guy at this point in my mind.

marks01234
06-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not so sure Stewart can't end up as the top back in this years draft.

DorianSmith
06-02-2007, 11:37 PM
I like Slaton Better then Stewert Just because of what Slaton has done compared to stewert

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 02:25 AM
The kid has a fantastic build and very good feet and speed for his bulk. I have a few concerns about his inconsistency last season, but a lot of that can be explained by the players around him failing. It isn't easy to produce as a runner in a spread offense if the defense isn't forced to respect the rest of your offense.

That said, you look at what defensive squads like that of Cal did to him, and you wonder if he is really that special of a player. He could be another LaMont Jordan.

SuperKevin
06-03-2007, 02:32 AM
I really like Stewart because of his size/speed combination. Plus he seems to be a solid blocker and reciever

Sniper
06-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I like Slaton Better then Stewert Just because of what Slaton has done compared to stewert

Slaton has run in a gimmick offense vs. some of the worst teams in the country. That's like saying you like Ty Detmer and Timmy Chang because they produced too. Slaton is a one trick pony whereas Stewart is an absolute animal

Muckluck
06-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Jamaal Charles would have to merit 1st round consideration if he came out.

I think Marlon Lucky also has a shot to blow up. The junior running back class is just incredibly impressive.

aheineken
06-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Physically he was ready for the NFL his Freshman year. He just needs to learn the position better. If he has a breakout year, he could easily be a top 20 pick. His added value as a KR man will help him out some as well. It definitely would not be a stretch to say he's the #2 back, but there are several others you could argue for as well.

HoopsDemon12
06-03-2007, 01:00 PM
ive gotta say slaton because he has done a lot... and he is just i a good back, i dont know can he put more muscle and weight onto that frame of his? if he can and keep the speed.... i think he'll be extremly good

Billingsley26
06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I really like Jon Stewart. I think this year tells alot. But I dont think that College success does alot. I mean it does, but guys like Jared Zabranksy, Timmy Chang and so on had a tough time in the pros (you know what i mean). I think Stweart is very solid. Size, speed, bruising, breaks tackles, blocks and catches. If he can have somewhat of a decent season, play a big game against Michigan, and have the team around him have a solid season, then I think he could be the #2 back. Right now he is definately top 5, possibly top 3.

DorianSmith
06-03-2007, 01:29 PM
ive gotta say slaton because he has done a lot... and he is just i a good back, i dont know can he put more muscle and weight onto that frame of his? if he can and keep the speed.... i think he'll be extremly good

Exactly What i was saying but i do like Stewert but not as much as i like Slaton or Rice for that matter

WarOnTheShore
06-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Nothing but an underachiever, but he is only a junior so he still has some time to improve. To me, McFadden, James Davis, Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton and maybe even Marlon Lucky are better junior RB prospects.

Sniper
06-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Nothing but an underachiever, but he is only a junior so he still has some time to improve. To me, McFadden, James Davis, Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton and maybe even Marlon Lucky are better junior RB prospects.

Better prospects? Um, no sir. As a prospect, I'm pretty sure scouts love 235 lb running backs that run in the low 4.4s, but that's just me. Steve Slaton as a prospect can't hold Stewart's jock

SenorGato
06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
The kid has a fantastic build and very good feet and speed for his bulk. I have a few concerns about his inconsistency last season, but a lot of that can be explained by the players around him failing. It isn't easy to produce as a runner in a spread offense if the defense isn't forced to respect the rest of your offense.

That said, you look at what defensive squads like that of Cal did to him, and you wonder if he is really that special of a player. He could be another LaMont Jordan.

You know Jordan was actually a pretty decent player when he was healthy right?

He had over 1500 yards with the Raiders 2 years ago, and that was with running behind that O-line.

The guy Stewart reminds me of is Jamal Lewis at his best. Another comp I can see, but not as much, is Micheal Turner (I'm a huge fan).

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2007, 10:59 PM

He had over 1500 yards with the Raiders 2 years ago, and that was with running behind that O-line.

The guy Stewart reminds me of is Jamal Lewis at his best. Another comp I can see, but not as much, is Micheal Turner (I'm a huge fan).

I'm surprised no one has thrown out the "Jerome Bettis" comparison.

It'll take a lot of work to get him to that level.

I'd say he reminds me of Najeh Davenport. Fast, Big, he just runs with a lot more power, and less injury questions.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-03-2007, 11:34 PM
A little Steven Jackson/AP in this guy.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 11:46 PM

1500 yards? Jordan?

His best year he managed just over 1000 yards and a 3.8 YPC. I don't blame him entirely since he's either been a backup to a workhorse or behind a crappy line, but despite a great build and talent he doesn't produce or run like he should.

Honestly, I think Stewart reminds me of Tomlinson a little with slightly less wiggle in his step and a greater tendency to carry guys. However, I am far from convinced that he has a feel for the position to match his immense ability. If he proves he does, he's a 1st round prospect in my book.

Gribble
06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm surprised no one has thrown out the "Jerome Bettis" comparison.

It'll take a lot of work to get him to that level.

I'd say he reminds me of Najeh Davenport. Fast, Big, he just runs with a lot more power, and less injury questions.

I hope Bettis was sarcasm.

BigRed
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I personally prefer Slaton as a college player to Stewart, i just don't really like Stewart at all. However, I think more teams will be interested in Stewart come draft time and he has more first-round potential.

WarOnTheShore
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Better prospects? Um, no sir. As a prospect, I'm pretty sure scouts love 235 lb running backs that run in the low 4.4s, but that's just me. Steve Slaton as a prospect can't hold Stewart's jock

If Slaton can add 10 pounds, people would be crapping their pants about him. But hey, you keep loving with those 40 times even though he clearly doesn't play up to his numbers...

draftguru151
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Stewart's pro potential certainly is higher than Slaton's but Stewart has to prove a lot more than Slaton. Great size speed combo but he needs to stay healthy this season and produce more. Guy is swole though.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1060/stewartfq6.jpg

Paranoidmoonduck
06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Slaton is definitely going to make some teams take notice. He's not big but he's built compactly, has nice instincts, is a really good receiver and can line up at wideout, and, of course, is blazing fast.

Until he shows me he has some more wiggle in that step, I think he's the closest thing we're getting to Michael Bennett (which is far from a bad thing).

HoopsDemon12
06-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Stewart's pro potential certainly is higher than Slaton's but Stewart has to prove a lot more than Slaton. Great size speed combo but he needs to stay healthy this season and produce more. Guy is swole though.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1060/stewartfq6.jpg

wow i wishi was built like that he is a tank

Sniper
06-04-2007, 09:37 PM
If Slaton can add 10 pounds, people would be crapping their pants about him. But hey, you keep loving with those 40 times even though he clearly doesn't play up to his numbers...

AS A PROSPECT....AS A PROSPECT....AS A PROSPECT...If Slaton didn't play against the National School for the Blind and Addict's favorite school, Connecticut School for the Amputees and didn't put up these sick stats in a gimmick offense vs. the aforementioned teams, would we be talking about him? The Big East makes the Pac 10 look like the SEC by comparison. So for the last time, AS A PROSPECT, Jonathan Stewart is leaps and bounds ahead of Slaton

WarOnTheShore
06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Oregon and West Virginia run a very similar offense, so don't give me that gimmick crap. And I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with that blind or amputee stuff. I guess it was a joke?? Ho ho! Hilarious!

elway777
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Jonathan Stewart isn't underacheiving, though I admit he's a complete idiot for choosing to attend a college that runs a spread offense. He's also been nagged by injuries the last 2 years.

Sniper
06-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Oregon and West Virginia run a very similar offense, so don't give me that gimmick crap. And I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with that blind or amputee stuff. I guess it was a joke?? Ho ho! Hilarious!

Yet no response to the fact that Stewart is a better pro prospect. The amputee was for Addict ;) It meant WVU plays nobody except for Louisville and last year Rutgers. And FWIW, Pat White threw the ball 197 times last year. Dennis Dixon? 322. Real similar

duckseason
06-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Yet no response to the fact that Stewart is a better pro prospect. The amputee was for Addict ;) It meant WVU plays nobody except for Louisville and last year Rutgers. And FWIW, Pat White threw the ball 197 times last year. Dennis Dixon? 322. Real similar
Not to mention Brady Leaf's 155 attempts or Jeremiah Johnson's role in the offense either. Bottom line is that the Mountaineers are far more run-oriented than the Ducks. The 2 offenses are like night and day. Personally, I'd like to see that change. I think our coaches need to recognize the true strength of this team. We should be running just as much as WVU if we want to maximize the potential of our current athletes. And our passing game would be much tougher to stop if it wasn't so predictable. Force teams to stop the run, and then open it up. I really hope Chip Kelly can give us what we've been missing in the play calling dept over the past few years. We were far too predictable last year. Opposing coordinators must've felt like Kasparov against a 4th grader. People who knock Stewart's production thus far need to realize two things. 1) He's played through injuries for most the time he's been here, and 2) Our team has never been the type to rely heavily on one player. Hopefully that all changes a bit for the better this year.

AdamJT13
06-05-2007, 03:50 AM
wow i wishi was built like that he is a tank

And that picture was taken when he was in high school.

WarOnTheShore
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe Oregon is throwing the ball because Stewart isn't as good of a running back as you think he is. ;) Seriously, if Brady Leaf and Dennis Dixon are your quarterbacks, you'd really expect the running back to have more than 183 rushing attempts -- injuries or not.

Jonathan Stewart is a better weightlifting prospect, sure, but he's a deceiving football prospect. You know what you're getting with Slaton -- a good speed back who can catch the ball and actually play through his injuries, unlike Stewart. In Stewart, I'm not sure what you get. He's 5'11, 240 so I'd expect him to run up the middle and get some tough yards. Instead, he runs like Slaton and doesn't seem to like contact.

Also, I'm not sure the pass and run attempt numbers really matter. The simple fact is that they do run a similar offense -- the linemen are spread out, they usually run three or four receiver sets, the quarterback (at least in Dixon's case) are mobile and the running backs go outside to get yards.

But hey, you keep loving those 40 times and weightlifting numbers. I'm sure they'll help a lot. Just ask Greg Jones.

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe Oregon is throwing the ball because Stewart isn't as good of a running back as you think he is. ;) Seriously, if Brady Leaf and Dennis Dixon are your quarterbacks, you'd really expect the running back to have more than 183 rushing attempts -- injuries or not.

Jonathan Stewart is a better weightlifting prospect, sure, but he's a deceiving football prospect. You know what you're getting with Slaton -- a good speed back who can catch the ball and actually play through his injuries, unlike Stewart. In Stewart, I'm not sure what you get. He's 5'11, 240 so I'd expect him to run up the middle and get some tough yards. Instead, he runs like Slaton and doesn't seem to like contact.

Also, I'm not sure the pass and run attempt numbers really matter. The simple fact is that they do run a similar offense -- the linemen are spread out, they usually run three or four receiver sets, the quarterback (at least in Dixon's case) are mobile and the running backs go outside to get yards.

But hey, you keep loving those 40 times and weightlifting numbers. I'm sure they'll help a lot. Just ask Greg Jones.

Did you see the WVU/Louisville game ( I believe) Slaton got bumped on the arm? And was out the rest of the game?

And Pat White is 5x the athlete Dixon. White actually has a future in the NFL, Dixon? Not so much.

Factor in the fact they have different running styles.

Stewart actually runs with power, Slaton is merely a finesse speed guy. Stewart will run over people and do short yardage. At WVU thats Owen Schmidt's Job.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-05-2007, 02:29 PM

How much of both teams have you watched? Duckseason is free to correct me, but as I recall Johnson got more of the outside runs in Oregon's system, and the option was a rare occurence (especially when Leaf replaced Dixon).

My issue with Slaton is that, due to the option, he starts a lot of his runs almost outside the hashmarks. Since White gets the ball out there so quickly, often the only thing he really has to do is have the wide receiver maintain his block and hope the safety doesn't take a great angle.

duckseason
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
You really come off as a guy who doesn't know much about Oregon Football. That is perfectly understandable, but I think most of us would appreciate it if you'd constrict the dissemination of blatant inaccuracies flowing from your keyboard. In other words, I think you should only speak with authority on matters you know a bit about.

Like I said, I also believe we should better utilize the talents of our current athletes. However, the fact that we've primarily been a passing team throughout the history of our program has nothing to do with the rushing ability of Jonathan Stewart. Also, we don't just have a running back. Jeremiah Johnson plays a huge role in the offense, and rightfully so. You want to compare somebody to Slaton? Take a look at JJ. Oh, and the "injuries or not" comment makes no sense at all.

Again, it appears as though you've yet to watch a Ducks game. One of the knocks on Stewart is that he looks to run over defenders rather than using his quickness and agility. He loves contact to a fault. We've seen flashes of his superior athleticism, but I'm hoping to see him use it a lot more this year. Your comments hold no validity in a thread about Stewart.

Again, there is more to an offense than just formation. The Ducks have a QB. WVU has an extra RB under center. Big difference. Dixon is extremely athletic, but his duty in this offense is to throw first. And he does it often. We threw the ball 486 times to our 471 rushing attempts. The Mountaineers on the other hand, look to run on nearly every play. 590 rushing attempts to 233 passing attempts. Ok. Yeah that might as well be a carbon copy of the Ducks' scheme, right? I'd recommend watching us play before you compare our offense to something so completely different.

Yes, I do love Stewart's athletic attributes. Almost as much as I love his ability as a RB. I do have my concerns about him, just like any other prospect, but there is a whole lot more to like about the kid than there is to knock. I invite you to watch a few Duck games this year. Seems you've been missing out on one of the most exciting teams on the west coast.

constant cough
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm curious to see what he does this season. He was really highly thought of coming out of high school. I lost track of him because I don't watch awhole lot of Oregon besides when they played Oklahoma and USC. I'll keep my eye open to see if he breaks out this year. If he's half as good as the hype we should all be hearing his name, if we don't...

Philliez01
06-05-2007, 05:32 PM
You know what you're getting with Slaton -- a good speed back who can catch the ball and actually play through his injuries, unlike Stewart.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Slaton sit out the bowl game against Georgia Tech because of injury concerns or was that Pat White? I know White sat out against RU.

yourfavestoner
06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Let's see how he does this year. If he produces like I think he will, then he will have become the player that Greg Jones was supposed to be.

Zyro_1014
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Stewart i think is a first round lock, because of his size and potential, but where in the first round i think depends on the type of season he has. I mean hes just as good of a prospect as peterson was if it comes to size and speed. so idk thats my opinion. if he has the year he can, i can see him going top 5 overall.

HoopsDemon12
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
And that picture was taken when he was in high school.

you have to be kidding me....:|

WarOnTheShore
06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes, to hell with free thought and discourse! And because I disagree with an opinion, it must mean I haven't seen a Ducks game! (Even though I've watched every game from the past three seasons at least twice) But what the hell do I know? I'm not a fan. But I'm not here to try to sway the mind of a fanboy because I could really give a damn what you "appreciate."

HoopsDemon12
06-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, to hell with free thought and discourse! And because I disagree with an opinion, it must mean I haven't seen a Ducks game! (Even though I've watched every game from the past three seasons at least twice) But what the hell do I know? I'm not a fan. But I'm not here to try to sway the mind of a fanboy because I could really give a damn what you "appreciate."

Welcome to the boards... its all i can say

SenorGato
06-11-2007, 12:15 AM
1500 yards? Jordan?

His best year he managed just over 1000 yards and a 3.8 YPC. I don't blame him entirely since he's either been a backup to a workhorse or behind a crappy line, but despite a great build and talent he doesn't produce or run like he should.

Honestly, I think Stewart reminds me of Tomlinson a little with slightly less wiggle in his step and a greater tendency to carry guys. However, I am far from convinced that he has a feel for the position to match his immense ability. If he proves he does, he's a 1st round prospect in my book.

You ignored receptions.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-11-2007, 03:16 AM
You ignored receptions.

For good reason. He had an impressive year receiving his first as a Raider because Kerry Collins dumped it off to him every other play.

Very little of what you said sounded accurate or well informed. There are opinions, and there are opinions that are not supported by reality.