PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/Underrated Player on Each Team

bryanGENE
06-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Courtesy of Sportsline: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10205109

/discuss

Arizona Cardinals

Overrated

RB Edgerrin James. Yes, he played behind a bad line last year when he struggled. But that's not the whole reason for his 3.2 average.

Underrated

LB Gerald Hayes. Now that Adrian Wilson has finally gone to the Pro Bowl, it's Hayes who gets the slot here. He was a force in the middle as a 4-3 middle linebacker, and should be just as good in the Cardinals' 3-4 defense.
Atlanta Falcons

Overrated

QB Michael Vick. Until he becomes a better pocket passer, he's always going to be in this spot. It can still happen for him, but it takes work. This is a huge year for him on the field -- if he stays there.
Underrated

DT Grady Jackson. Say all you want about his weight -- and he sure is big -- but he knows how to clog things up against the run. He does have to get healthy again.

Baltimore Ravens

Overrated

RB Willis McGahee. Blame the Bills line all you want, but this guy just hasn't performed like a star back.
Underrated

NT Kelly Gregg. He is a short keg-like body in the middle of the defense who helps keep the linebackers clean to flow to the football. He does the dirty work inside.

Buffalo Bills

Overrated

RT Langston Walker. It's hard to find one on this young team, but since they paid him money as a free agent he's the pick.

Underrated

LT Jason Peters. He's close to being a Pro Bowl player. This converted tight end has a ton of potential.

Carolina Panthers

Overrated

MLB Dan Morgan. The tools are there, but he can't stay on the field. That puts him in this category.

Underrated

QB David Carr. He will take over as the team's starting quarterback at some point and show the Houston Texans they made a big mistake.

Chicago Bears

Overrated

S Adam Archuleta. He's never been effective as a cover player. He's basically a glorified linebacker. Watch teams attack him in pass coverage.
Underrated

DT Tank Johnson. Off-the-field problems aside, Johnson is a heck of a player when he's on the field. The Bears need him in the worst way.

Cincinnati Bengals

Overrated

CB Deltha O'Neal. He went to the Pro Bowl in 2005, but didn't come close to getting there a year ago. He could be pushed for his starting job now.

Underrated

DE Robert Geathers. He is a situational pass rusher with speed off the corner. That's why the Bengals made re-signing him a priority.

Cleveland Browns

Overrated

OLB Willie McGinest. He doesn't have much left and that started to show up last season after the Browns paid him big money as a free agent.

Underrated

S Sean Jones. He emerged as a top-notch safety last season, showing why the Browns drafted him in the second round in 2004. He had 111 tackles and five interceptions.

Dallas Cowboys

Overrated

QB Tony Romo. It's way too early to put him as a top 10 quarterback, which some have done. He sure didn't look like it at the end of last season.

Underrated

CB Terence Newman. His not going to the Pro Bowl last year was a crime. He is a top-notch cover corner.

Denver Broncos

Overrated

DT Gerard Warren. In fairness to Warren, he played with dislocated toes last season. But he still didn't play like he did in 2005. Of course, John Lynch could fill this spot every year.

Underrated

LG Ben Hamilton. He has taken over as the team's best offensive lineman. He's a tough, physical player whose best football is still ahead of him.

Detroit Lions

Overrated

G Damien Woody. He hasn't played well since signing with the Lions as a free agent and now he might go to the bench.

Underrated

QB Jon Kitna. Maybe he's not the long-term answer, but he got the job done last season for Mike Martz. He knows where to go with the football.
Green Bay Packers

Overrated

TE Bubba Franks. His career has gone down the toilet in a hurry. This former first-round pick is now fighting for a job.

Underrated

DE Cullen Jenkins. His emergence as a defensive end will allow the Packers to make Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila a situational pass rusher.
Houston Texans

Overrated

RB Ahman Green. In his last 34 starts, Green has nine rushes of 20 yards or more. In 2003, he had 15 alone. The Texans paid him way too much money at his age.

Underrated

CB Dunta Robinson. His silky smooth cover skills get lost because the defense has struggled at times.

Indianapolis Colts

Overrated

DT Anthony McFarland. It was tough finding an overrated player on this team, but McFarland might be it. He did nothing during the regular season, but did show up in the playoffs. Maybe that says something about why he's here.
Underrated

TE Dallas Clark. His versatility is so key to the Colts offense. He can flex out like a receiver and create match-up problems.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Overrated

DE Paul Spicer. The team talks up his effort, but what does he really do? He needs to be replaced.

Underrated

DT John Henderson. For whatever reason, he doesn't get the due he deserves. Maybe it's because he plays next to Marcus Stroud.

Kansas City Chiefs

Overrated

CB Ty Law. He's living off the past. He has slowed down and it shows. Even in the Chiefs' Cover-2 defense, that shows up.

Underrated

DE Jared Allen. If he can stay clear of off-the-field problems, he will cash in big next year as a free agent.

Miami Dolphins

Overrated

LB Joey Porter. And it isn't even close. Why they paid him all that money is a great mystery.

Underrated

S Yeremiah Bell. When he was inserted into the starting lineup in the sixth game last season, the defense became better. He's a good, solid tackler.

Minnesota Vikings

Overrated

LT Bryant McKinnie. He gives up too many sacks. He's never lived up to the hype as a first-round pick.

Underrated

LB E.J. Henderson. He had his best season last year and now moves back from the outside to the middle. He struggled as a middle backer earlier in his career, but he's better suited for it now.

New England Patriots

Overrated

LB Tedy Bruschi. He has slowed down, and that showed up in a big way in the playoff loss to the Colts. He doesn't have it anymore, and is living on his reputation.

Underrated

DE Ty Warren. Keep a close eye on him. His Pro Bowl time is coming.

New Orleans Saints

Overrated

CB Mike McKenzie. When he wants to be good, he's good. But he has too many lapses to be an elite player.

Underrated

G Jahri Evans. As a rookie, he didn't give up a sack. That's high marks for a young lineman.

New York Giants

Overrated

CB Sam Madison. Once upon a time he was a great man cover corner. You'd never know it now.

Underrated

DT Fred Robbins. He started all 16 games, getting 62 tackles and 5Ĺ sacks. He's a good, steady player who doesn't get much due.

New York Jets

Overrated

QB Chad Pennington. Can he be a Super Bowl quarterback? I doubt it. He threw 17 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. He's just okay.

Underrated

S Kerry Rhodes. Much like Adrian Wilson of the Cardinals, his time in the spotlight will eventually come. He's too good a player for that not to happen.
Oakland Raiders

Overrated

RB Dominic Rhodes. Yes, he had a nice Super Bowl. And he did nicely splitting time with Joseph Addai. But that's all he is, a spot player.
Underrated

CB Nnamdi Asomugha. This kid has developed into one of the best cover corners in the league. He was a Pro Bowl snub last year.

Philadelphia Eagles
Overrated

MLB Jeremiah Trotter. He doesn't get to the football, and it shows in the run defense. His best days are long behind him.

Underrated

C Jamaal Jackson. Playing on the best line in the league, he doesn't get the Pro Bowl attention. But it could come this year,
Pittsburgh Steelers

Overrated

G Alan Faneca. He's a nice run blocker, but he struggles in pass protection. The Steelers will make the wise move not paying him a new deal.

Underrated

DE Brett Keisel. He always seems to be around the quarterback. This year, the Steelers plan to use some special defenses where he will line up as rover.
St. Louis Rams

Overrated

TE Randy McMichael. He's OK, but he's not nearly as good as his reputation. Miami wouldn't have let him go if he was.

Underrated

CB Fakhir Brown. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had him in New Orleans and wanted him in St. Louis. Brown is a much better corner than he's given credit for being.

San Diego Chargers

Overrated

QB Philip Rivers. This being nitpicky because I really like Rivers. But I've seen him ranked as a top five quarterback already. That's a bit quick. He can get there this season, but not yet. There aren't a lot of candidates on the Chargers for this spot.

Underrated

DE Igor Olshansky. He tends to get overlooked on a line with Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo, but he's right up there with them.
San Francisco 49ers

Overrated

WR Darrell Jackson. If they think he's going to cure their receiver problems, they are wrong. He's not better than Antonio Bryant, the guy they let go. Jackson drops a lot of passes.

Underrated

LB Brandon Moore. He had 6Ĺ sacks last year, four games with 10 or more tackles, including the last three, and yet you'd be hard-pressed for people on the East Coast to know his name. He's a heck of a player.

Seattle Seahawks

Overrated

WR Deion Branch. He's a nice player, but he wasn't worth what the Seahawks traded and paid to get him. Is he really a No. 1 receiver?

Underrated

WR D.J. Hackett. He got a chance to play last season because of injuries, starting five games, and showed some nice skills. He caught 45 passes and had four touchdown catches, the same as Branch, who started 13 games.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Overrated

QB Jeff Garcia. He played well for the Eagles last year, but is he really any better than Chris Simms? We'll find out. I doubt it.

Underrated

DE Greg Spires. He doesn't get the attention Simeon Rice gets, but he is one of those effort guys all defenses need.

Tennessee Titans

Overrated

QB Vince Young. Is it crazy to put a second-year player in this spot? Maybe. But he isn't close to being the quarterback some say he is. He can't pass the football consistently yet, but most would make you think otherwise. Give him time.

Underrated

LT Michael Roos. He isn't Pro Bowl caliber yet, but this young player has a chance to be a nice starting player for a long time.

Washington Redskins

Overrated

WR Antwaan Randle El. Is he anything more than a good No. 3 receiver? The Redskins paid him way too much money.

Underrated

DT Kedric Golston. He won a job last year and played well inside as a rookie. He has a chance to develop into a quality defensive tackle. He might never be a Pro Bowl player, but he will be a consistent starter.

HoopsDemon12
06-03-2007, 01:38 PM
thats a pretty intersting article... good read

derza222
06-03-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure how overrated a bunch of the guys who they said were overrated are. They're more players on the decline of their careers that were once viewed more highly than they are now, but aren't really seen as anything that special anymore like most. I'm not thinking most people think Chad Pennington is a Super Bowl QB and Ahman is a star RB. That said, many of them do make sense, but others don't.

JF4
06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
For GB I don't think Bubba should be the most overated because most people know he isn't very good anymore. I'd probably pick someone like KGB instead of Bubba.

Cullen Jenkins as the underrated player is perfect.

21ST
06-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Underrated

DT Kedric Golston. He won a job last year and played well inside as a rookie. He has a chance to develop into a quality defensive tackle. He might never be a Pro Bowl player, but he will be a consistent starter.

LOL hes so underrated they spelled his name wrong

The Unseen
06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Paul Spicer isn't overrated, as I've never heard nat'l types talk about him. The article says that the team "talks him up," but I'm not sure what their talking about. He may have been underrated last year, but that's it.

Philliez01
06-03-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm unsure about the Colts one.

Dallas Clark was well-talked about throughout last year's playoff run as the "X Factor" so I do not think he's underrated. Underrated may belong to Antoine Bethea, if I had to pick.

Booger did his job last season. Gary Brackett probably is the most overrated player on the team; though I don't find him to be terrible either. He's the leader of the defense (as well as Bob Sanders).

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
For the Steelers I agree that Keisel is underrated. By stats alone he outplayed Richard Seymour.

As for Faneca being overrated... There must of been a lack of people they thought were overrated because Faneca is top 2 at his position, and Yes his pass blocking isn't his strongest asset, but he's still top 5 for pass blocking at LG.

06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
For the Steelers I agree that Keisel is underrated. By stats alone he outplayed Richard Seymour.

As for Faneca being overrated... There must of been a lack of people they thought were overrated because Faneca is top 2 at his position, and Yes his pass blocking isn't his strongest asset, but he's still top 5 for pass blocking at LG.

Stats do not make you a better player.

49erfaithful
06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Its true for SF that almost nobody knows Brandon Moore but i dont think Jackson is really that overated. He just had a few problems last year when he didnt look the ball in, but that can be fixed

remix 6
06-03-2007, 02:26 PM

by stats alone and then what? you think he really outplayed Seymour?

in a 3-4 ..you can never count on stats and Seymour asid it himself. he said the fans dont know what assignment a 3-4 lineman has. sometimes they need to open up for other players and when Seymour is doubled..it aint hard to get better stats.

Sapp had 47 tackles, 10 sacks

Kevin Williams had 36 tackles 5 sacks.

both are DTs..whos better off stats? Sapp

whos better off actual play? Williams..hes 1 of the best DTs in the league

xooberon
06-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Prisco=moron

DE Paul Spicer. The team talks up his effort, but what does he really do?

DE Greg Spires. He doesn't get the attention Simeon Rice gets, but he is one of those effort guys all defenses need.

ok so spicer gives a lot of effort but gets called overrated, but he then says that all defenses need effort guys, and places spires on the underrated list?!? that is just contradicting yourself.

plus dan morgan is not overrated, he is injuryprone. kris jenkins would have been a better choice.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Underrated

LOL hes so underrated they spelled his name wrong

lol, no they didn't......

marks01234
06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Overrated

QB Philip Rivers. This being nitpicky because I really like Rivers. But I've seen him ranked as a top five quarterback already. That's a bit quick. He can get there this season, but not yet. There aren't a lot of candidates on the Chargers for this spot.

I'm not sure it is Rivers' fault that there are really only four excellent QBs in this league. I mean you put Bulger, Hasselbeck or McNabb in that spot and they stick out like a sore thumb too.

scottyboy
06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
how exactly is Sam Madison over rated? i dont know many that think of him highly enough to be over rated...

d34ng3l021
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Michael Vick - Overrated. How original.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Their reasoning is kind of dumb like how Chad Pennington is overrated because they wonder if he can be a super bowl QB, I don't know anyone who has thought that of him.

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
by stats alone and then what? you think he really outplayed Seymour?

in a 3-4 ..you can never count on stats and Seymour asid it himself. he said the fans dont know what assignment a 3-4 lineman has. sometimes they need to open up for other players and when Seymour is doubled..it aint hard to get better stats.

You're comparing an NT and a UT. I'm atleast Comparing 2, 3-4 DE's. I'm just saying...

Keisel is a 7th round pick, will never make a pro-bowl... Seymour did, with worse stats and I think everyone underrates Keisel.

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2007, 02:58 PM

I'm aware. All I was stating is that I've seen Keisel considered a weak player or "Unknown", but he was doing just as good as some of the best 3-4 DE's in the league. I'm just glad he's getting a little recognition.

SuperMcGee
06-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Really good picks for the Bills. The difference between our starting tackles is astronomical.

Phrost
06-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Buccaneers
Overrated- Joey Galloway- His speed is great but speed isn't everything.
Underrated- Brian Kelly- He has been shutting down good #2 WRs and sometimes #1s his entire career.

Hines
06-03-2007, 03:27 PM
i think aaron smith is more underrating then keisel

stephenson86
06-03-2007, 03:29 PM
vince young, dont think hes overrated

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I guess they had to reach a bit for picking out an overrated player on Oakland. How many real feel that Rhodes is even that good of a player? He signed a cheap contract with a terrible team in an offseason that was throwing around money like they had an illegal tap into Bill Gates bank account.

remix 6
06-03-2007, 03:43 PM
You're comparing an NT and a UT. I'm atleast Comparing 2, 3-4 DE's. I'm just saying...

Keisel is a 7th round pick, will never make a pro-bowl... Seymour did, with worse stats and I think everyone underrates Keisel.

its fine..hes underrated but comparing him to the best 3-4 DE and possibly top 3 DE in general?

yes his stats were better last year but what about all the other years? Seymour is a multi time pro bowler..Keisel is not. Underrated ? yes. Same class as Seymour? No

The Unseen
06-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I didn't notice this was Sportsline and therefore Pete Prisco, so now I understand his Spicer being overrated comment. Since he lives in Jacksonville, used to cover them, and has a radio show mostly about them, his perception of the Jaguars is more "fine-tuned," per se. Or homerism. I think homerism goes both ways: not only can you overrate players or whine about them being called underrated, you can underrate them or bash them more than necessary.

stephenson86
06-03-2007, 03:56 PM
seymour, gets double teamed, people dont like going near him he is probably the best 3 - 4 DE

Sharp21
06-03-2007, 04:02 PM
It seems a lot of the "overrated" players are not considered as great as they once were. Who honestly still considers Ty Law and Sam Madison to be lock down corners at their current ages?
They nailed Newman and Asomugha as underrated though.

Woody56
06-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I dont see how Pennington is overrated, most don't think of him as a top 15 QB and every year he plays most of games the Jets are in the playoffs. An overrated Jet is Pete Kendall, they guy showed his age bad last year and couldn't run block for nothing.

yourfavestoner
06-03-2007, 04:07 PM
It seems a lot of the "overrated" players are not considered as great as they once were. Who honestly still considers Ty Law and Sam Madison to be lock down corners at their current ages?
They nailed Newman and Asomugha as underrated though.

You'd be surprised.

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2007, 04:21 PM
its fine..hes underrated but comparing him to the best 3-4 DE and possibly top 3 DE in general?

yes his stats were better last year but what about all the other years? Seymour is a multi time pro bowler..Keisel is not. Underrated ? yes. Same class as Seymour? No

Keisel only has had 1 season starting. He's played the RDE, and he did damn well. I was merely stating, he's underrated. He's putting up similar #'s to Seymour and no one really knows him, I don't think I said Keisel is Better than Seymour, I merely stated he had better stats in his 1 season starting. I don't expect him to be Seymour level, considering Seymour was a 1st rounder and Keisel a 7th. Just stating that I think he's damn good and I agree he's underrated, though he shouldn't be.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-03-2007, 04:41 PM

not really Sapp is still one of the best.Not to mention Sapp played with Tommy Kelly another UT next to him for the most part.A scheme he doesnt fit in and was still able to very well both in pass and run defense.

BlindSite
06-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Pete Prisco, is useless but he's got a point.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Pretty much dead on for the Ravens, you could maybe argue who is the msot underrated Raven but no doubt that the most overrated Raven/NFL Player is Willis McGahee.

JK17
06-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Chargers analysis looks pretty good....
Olshansky is one of the better 3-4 DE's around, you could make an argument for Jammer as underrated, but I would say its more underappreciated then underrated.

As far as overrated I guess Rivers fits the bill the way he describes. I don't think he's overrated, but if people call him a top five QB. this early, then I would say he's overrated. A better example I think, honestly, would be Shane Olivea. He's the weakest part of the O-Line, and gets beat a lot, but still gets a lot of the credit that the rest of the O-Line gets.

GB12
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
For Houston it should be Schaub over Green. Schaub has started 2 games in his career and everyone thinks he will be a good QB. Green has rushed for over 1,000 yards 6 of the last 7 seasons with the one he didn't he was injured and played only 5 games. He also had a season that he put up 1,800+ yards and 15 TDs. He's not what he once was, but I wouldn't call him overated.

SenorGato
06-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Sorry, but they have alot to do with great players.

Dude....Sapp is a potential HOFer...BAD example.

papa burgundy
06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't know how anyone can take Pete Prisco seriously.. this is the same guy who last year said IAN SCOTT was the most underrated player in the entire league.. even went as far to say he was as good as Tommie Harris. The year before he said it was JAMES FRIGGIN HALL. This year he semi-redeemed himself by picking someone who is underrated.. but even then Warren got a fair amount of pub for a breakout season last year.

Just for laughs here are his 05 and 06 underrated/overrated lists just so everyone can see how god awful they are.

05 - http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8622837

06 - http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

XxXdragonXxX
06-04-2007, 12:02 AM
D.J. Hackett is so underrated that Pete Prisco described him as a "good special teams player" in his recent article about the 2004 draft....Hackett doesn't play special teams.

DorianSmith
06-04-2007, 12:13 AM

ya hes Underrated if anything Vince YOUNG IS A BEast

portermvp84
06-04-2007, 12:31 AM
I could agree Dallas Clark is very underrated.

Addict
06-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Michael Vick - Overrated. How original.

And how painfully true.

Ehm... he went to a pro bowl he had no business being at, and if you'd see some of the stuff people write and say about him you'd think they're talking about a shoe-in first-ballot hall of fame type guy, not a rookie who's most probably going into a sophomore slump (and before you ask 'why?' look at the Titans depth chart at WR and RB)

wogitalia
06-04-2007, 03:41 AM
I personally would have gone with Winfield as the underrated guy for the Vikings. He has actually gotten a lot of dues this offseason but is still very much owed more. He is a great cornerback. Sharper is without a doubt the overrated guy we have now. He just cant play in a cover 2 and looked lost and old last year. I hope he can turn it around, but he looked like a slow rookie last year, I think he is done.

High Roller
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I agree with the niners. But DJax will bring leadership and is a vet so that will put him over Bryant.

ricky bobby
06-04-2007, 09:01 AM
100% agree with the NYG ones.

Jughead10
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
100% agree with the NYG ones.

I don't really agree so much. I really wouldn't call Fred Robbins underrated. He is kind of just there. Extremely average, doesn't shine but doesn't play awful. He is what he is.

Madison, eh. The little blurp says this guy used to be a good man corner. We'll see. We rarely ever played man last year because of Tim Lewis so it is hard to say that about him. And when we actually did play man Madison actually played his best football. With a ton more man coming this year we will see how that goes.

Splat
06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
I don't think Jared Allen is underrated any more people know he can play now.

Gribble
06-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Tony Romo was a starter for half a season, so it's impossible to call him overrated. Just go with T.O. like the rest of the world.

jkpigskin
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
kelly gregg is mos definatly underrated... if he has another solid season, he better make the pro bowl

Acreboy
06-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Evans is not underrated. Our O-Line coach said he wouldn't trade Evans for any O-lineman in the league. He got nothing but praise last year for his play.

MM is not overrated. He's a top 10 CB in this league.Charles Grant might be a little overrated. He disappears for games at a time.

draftguru151
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Evans is not underrated. Our O-Line coach said he wouldn't trade Evans for any O-lineman in the league. He got nothing but praise last year for his play.

MM is not overrated. He's a top 10 CB in this league.Charles Grant might be a little overrated. He disappears for games at a time.

So because Evans OL coach recognizes his talents means he isn't underrated? Really don't get the logic there. Top 10 CB? Sure.

Bearsfan123
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Bears

Overrated-
Devin Hester-is he a great returner? yes. But he is not god in a football uniform. Some people think hed be great no matter what. I think our ST unit helped him out alot more than most believe.

Lance Briggs- One of the youngest brightest stars, but also our system helps him out tremendously, along with playing next to one of the best middle linebackers in the game. Again hes a great talent but there are many other factors that consider into how hes so good.

OzTitan
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I really don't see how VY is overrated, anyone with half a brain will agree he has a way to go before he is a consistent passing threat in the NFL. Everything else about his game IMO is rated about right - if anything his rushing was severely underrated coming into the league last season and he proved a lot of people wrong with it.

I would have went with Haynesworth or Bulluck first by a long shot - Haynesworth because he only shows up 6-8 games a season (either via injury or because his effort drops off), and Bulluck because he is a one dimensional player when it comes to actual football - great leadership and good coverage skills, but so-so against the run and often taken out easily by a blocker.

Acreboy
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
So because Evans OL coach recognizes his talents means he isn't underrated? Really don't get the logic there. Top 10 CB? Sure.

Obviously chose not to read the part about him getting praise all year. Not just from our staff.

A 4th round pick rookie who started every single game and should have gone to the pro bowl is not underrated.

You can make the argument for MM being a top 10 CB. Probably #10 but still top 10. He's a good man-to-man CB.

bearsfan_51
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Hahaha...I remember when Keak used to say that McKenzie was a top #10 CB. It's just as stupid now as it was then.

Jughead10
06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Hahaha...I remember when Keak used to say that McKenzie was a top #10 CB. It's just as stupid now as it was then.

He's definately in the 10-15 range in my opinion. There aren't a whole lot of really standout corners in the league.

bearsfan_51
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I'd have to sit down and think about it, but I don't think I'd put him in my top 25.

Acreboy
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd have to sit down and think about it, but I don't think I'd put him in my top 25.That is very, very funny.

Shiver
06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
First off Michael Vick was overrated back in '04. He is no longer overrated, if you understand what that term actually means.

Falcons:

Over - Warrick Dunn
Under - Michael Boley

ricky bobby
06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
First off Michael Vick was overrated back in '04. He is no longer overrated, if you understand what that term actually means.

Falcons:

Over - Warrick Dunn
Under - Michael Boley
Very true. More and more people have come to the realization that Vick is just not as good as originally advertised.

Shiver
06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
The only way for Michael Vick to be "overrated," by definition, is if someone actually considered him a very good passer.

draftguru151
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Obviously chose not to read the part about him getting praise all year. Not just from our staff.

A 4th round pick rookie who started every single game and should have gone to the pro bowl is not underrated.

You can make the argument for MM being a top 10 CB. Probably #10 but still top 10. He's a good man-to-man CB.

And who was praising him? The coaching staff and Saints fans? I very rarely see Evans mentioned by anyone else.

jackalope
06-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Cullen Jenkins is definitely a good pick for most underrated on the Packers.

Acreboy
06-04-2007, 11:34 AM
And who was praising him? The coaching staff and Saints fans? I very rarely see Evans mentioned by anyone else.

You have to be an insider to read the entire thing and I could post what it says about Evans but I won't. If you're an insider you can read it.

Looks like i'm not the only one who's noticed Evans played will and made the transition to the NFL quite easily.

You don't watch enough Saints football to really understand how he's not underrated.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2706011

Any other year he likely would have been the crown jewel of the Saints' rookie class, a 16-game starter who made the difficult transition from small-college left tackle at Bloomsburg (Pa.) to NFL right guard for the NFC South Division champions.

But because he has been a standout this particular season, which continues Sunday against Chicago in the NFC championship game, some of his work has been buried under the pile created by the accolades of Reggie Bush and Marques Colston, hidden from view like . . . well, like a lineman who gets buried and hidden from view under the pile -- unless he's guilty of doing something that'll get him yelled at by his head coach.
http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/116927797467460.xml&coll=1

Evans was, after all, the 108th overall selection in the draft, and just the second Division 2 player to be taken.
It has been a rather interesting road to the NFL. During his days at Frankford, Evans missed his junior season with a broken leg, but he recovered to help lead the Pioneers to the Public League championship game. Frankford lost to George Washington.
Because he missed time with the injury, Evans never landed that Division 1 scholarship he was aiming for. He did go to Bloomsburg, where he became a star as a red-shirt freshman.
Upon his selection in the pro draft, it didnít take Evans long to get noticed by the Saints coaching staff. He was penciled in as the starting right guard prior to the teamís first preseason game. He has been in that slot ever since. Evans is enjoying the ride, but heís also one of the captains of this ship.
"We have a great team, a really good team with a lot of talented players," said Evans. "Drew Brees is a huge reason for the success. We have a good line, great running backs, good receivers and, of course, a great defense and great coaches."http://www.northeasttimes.com/2007/0104/saint.html

SMALL-SCHOOL SAINTS: The New Orleans Saints scored big with draft picks from small schools last season, landing two rookie starters who didn't play major college football.

The Saints went back to the bushes again Sunday, taking tackle Jermon Bushrod of Division I-AA Towson in the fourth round and cornerback David Jones from Division II Wingate in the fifth round.

Last year, New Orleans found guard Jahri Evans from Division II Bloomsburg and receiver Marques Colston from I-AA Hofstra and both were prominent players on one of the NFL's best offenses.

Evans started every game and Colston led the team with 1,038 yards receiving and 11 touchdown catches.http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/story.cfm/story/577794

Both Evans and Colston hail from small colleges -- Evans went to Division II Bloomsburg while Colston played at I-AA Hofstra -- but managed to make seemingly seamless transitions to the highest level of football. Colston's quick emergence played a role in the Saints' decision to trade Donte' Stallworth, the team's leading receiver a year ago, to the Eagles towards the end of the preseason.http://www.wnbc.com/nfl/9832640/detail.html

CC.SD
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Not the first to say it, and not the last, but god damnit Colston had such a ridiculously great season for a 7th round rookie.

Overrated: I might have to say Nick Hardwick here; he made the Pro Bowl and is a great center, but he gets pushed around by some of the bigger defensive tackles. I think without Goff and Dielman right next to him he'd be having a much tougher time.

Underrated: Shaun Phillips, just because he plays opposite of Merriman. He's one of the slickest pass rushers I've seen in a while.

princefielder28
06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree the Green Bay one

J52
06-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Bears

Overrated-
Devin Hester-is he a great returner? yes. But he is not god in a football uniform. Some people think hed be great no matter what. I think our ST unit helped him out alot more than most believe.

Lance Briggs- One of the youngest brightest stars, but also our system helps him out tremendously, along with playing next to one of the best middle linebackers in the game. Again hes a great talent but there are many other factors that consider into how hes so good.

Mainstream, yea, Hester is overrated. But people who understand the game don't follow hype. If you watch ESPN then you are going to think he is indeed God, if you analyze football then you understand he is the most explosive player in the league, yet one of the least intelligent, thusly limiting his potential at any offensive or defensive position.

J52
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Dolphins-
Overrated: Chris Chambers. God is it a pain to watch him, can't catch a damned thing that goes his way. People think he is great because he has an incredible ability to make athletic catches, but a ball delivered to him perfectly drops to the ground more often then not.

Underrated:
a. Zach Thomas- Not so much that people don't think he is great, just everybody who mentions him says he has lost a step. In reality, he was never athletic or fast and never had that step to begin with. He is a 90% intelligence player. He has gotten better with age.
b. Daunte- People say he is done, I say that you can't expect a scramble first quarterback to do better then 82 QB rating(which is still damned good for post-marino era Dolphins) without his legs. Last year was as irrelevant to his evaluation as dancing with the stars was to Jerry Rice's recieving career.

bearsfan_51
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, he just hasn't developed a skill set for a specific position. His field vision is very good, which is why he's more of an elusive returner than a pure blazer.

SFbear
06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Mainstream, yea, Hester is overrated. But people who understand the game don't follow hype. If you watch ESPN then you are going to think he is indeed God, if you analyze football then you understand he is the most explosive player in the league, yet one of the least intelligent, thusly limiting his potential at any offensive or defensive position.

Im curious why you think he lacks intelligence. He isn't the most eloquent person but that has little to do with football smarts. Im biased as a Bears fan but his hesitation on the Giants FG return was purely improvised and absolutely brilliant.

Hines
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
my picks

underrated:
aaron smith is imo top 5 all around de's in the league. he can rush the passer and play the run. without him the linebackers or porter wouldnt have done squat.

honerable mention:
larry foote
nobody is givin him praise really when he consistantly is the best linebacker we have. he dont get the tackles like farrior or he dont get the sacks like porter use too, but he is very consistant and is a great player

overrated:
id have to say faneca just because he is a punk who is quittin on his teamates now

honerable mention:
it kills me to say this cuz i love the dude but i have to say ben

Mr. Stiller
06-04-2007, 05:11 PM
my picks

underrated:
aaron smith is imo top 5 all around de's in the league. he can rush the passer and play the run. without him the linebackers or porter wouldnt have done squat.

honerable mention:
larry foote
nobody is givin him praise really when he consistantly is the best linebacker we have. he dont get the tackles like farrior or he dont get the sacks like porter use too, but he is very consistant and is a great player

overrated:
id have to say faneca just because he is a punk who is quittin on his teamates now

honerable mention:
it kills me to say this cuz i love the dude but i have to say ben

I disagree on Ben. Marvel Smith, Kendall Simmons, Heck Ced Wilson is even more overrated than Ben.. I'd say Ben is rated around where he should be.. But underappreciated.

J52
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Im curious why you think he lacks intelligence. He isn't the most eloquent person but that has little to do with football smarts. Im biased as a Bears fan but his hesitation on the Giants FG return was purely improvised and absolutely brilliant.

B/C I have talked to him in person and been around him. I've also heard from word of mouth that he isn't very intelligent either.

His vision is top notch and his instincts are as well. But he gets confused with playbooks and by opposing defenses/offenses very easily.

remix 6
06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
how do u think Hester is overrated? No1 considers him a great CB or WR..they consider him a great returnman..which is what he is

dcarey20
06-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Keisel is extremely underrated. He's a really solid 3-4 end. But as good as Seymour? No way.

And I don't know why stats are being discussed. Sure, they can tell a little bit, but they cannot dictate who is the better player. Stats in football are not like stats in baseball, as many know. Stats are even less important for a 3-4 end, who has a large responsibility with eating up blockers, and freeing up lanes for backers, two things that the league obviously doesn't have a stat for. Like I said, Keisel is a good player, definitely underappreciated, but he's not in Seymour's class.

Oh, and for the Ravens, I'd probably say something like:

Overrated: Mike Flynn, Center

He's become dreadful at the center position, and I think some fans outside of Baltimore think he is good because he's rated well in Madden. I like the guy but he's been consistently getting worse and all I can say is thank god for Chris Chester who should be our starting center next year.

Underrated: Mark Clayton, Wide Receiver

I've flip-flopped a bit on who our most underrated player is. I think it could be any number of players. Trevor Pryce, Kelly Gregg, and Bart Scott are all guys that don't get the respect they deserve. But I'm going with Mark Clayton. In my opinion he is definitely the top receiver from the 2005 draft class, but I hear alot more talk about Braylon Edwards, who's been somewhat of a dissapointment for the #3 pick. Clayton really stepped up his game after a solid rookie year, putting up 67 grabs, almost 1000 yards, and 5 TD's. In my eyes he was our top target, and he got it done on the deep routes as well as short and intermediate. I feel he's going to take his game even farther in 2007.