PDA

View Full Version : Could Walter Start?

portermvp84
06-03-2007, 05:45 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/24/SPGUAQ07K514.DTL&feed=rss.raiders

I dount he will, I think we'll either start Josh Mckown or maybe even throw in JR.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-03-2007, 05:50 PM
probably not.

eacantdraft
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Only if there is an injury catastraphy at the QB position.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Kiffin has called Walter the most improved player at camp, and he has apparently been taking charge in the huddle. He's at a disadvantage due to the mobility requirements of Kiffin's offense, but I'd say he certainly a threat to McCown.

Xonraider
06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Kiffin has called Walter the most improved player at camp, and he has apparently been taking charge in the huddle. He's at a disadvantage due to the mobility requirements of Kiffin's offense, but I'd say he certainly a threat to McCown.

He can move in the pocket. He is not the statue many think he is.

nobodyinparticular
06-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't rule it out for sure. That said, I think McCown has a definite edge due to the praise his mobility has been getting from Kiffin.

Stash
06-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I think both McCown and Walter have an equal shot to start the season, it just depends on who performs better in camp/preseason. Neither of them have much experience as a starter and neither has proven much of anything when they did start.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 11:52 PM
He can move in the pocket. He is not the statue many think he is.

He's actually good at shaking off a rusher, but he has fairly slow foot speed in rollouts. I have no idea how big a deal this is to Kiffin, but if he really wants to institute frequent rollouts to compensate for a blocking scheme and an offensive line not known for keeping their quarterbacks vertical, then McCown is the obvious favorite.

NIN1984
06-04-2007, 09:41 PM
McCown will start the season and when or if we are no longer in the playoff picture Russell will come in. I don't think we will see Walter all at this season.

Raider_fan_Canada
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Are you kidding me!?

There is not one single mention of Josh McCown in this article. Maybe they just missed that trade and think that the other guy taking some reps is Josh Booty.

Typical example of sports writers that just don't happen to know much more than the average fan.

Be critical when reeding people.

locseti
06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
http://ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/

There were some serious protection issues during a team session, with the first offensive line unable to prevent defenders from poring in from all angles against Josh McCown, Andrew Walter and JaMarcus Russell.

McCown is light years ahead of both Walter and Russell in creating on the run when the protection breaks down. Kiffin said players who were McCown's teammates in Arizona (Fred Wakefield) and Detroit (Mike Williams) said the quarterback was always one of the first taken in pickup basketball games.

I definitely think McCown will be the starter due to his athletic ability/penchant for escaping the rush/experience

Stash
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
The first part of that quote about the o-line is worrying me. I know it is very early but I was hoping to hear about some kind of improvement concerning pass protection.

Stash
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought I just saw a report on ESPN News that Walter had knee surgery and will be out 4-6 weeks. That sucks for him if I read it correctly.

locseti
06-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I thought I just saw a report on ESPN News that Walter had knee surgery and will be out 4-6 weeks. That sucks for him if I read it correctly.

Ya, he's having arthroscopic knee surgery.