PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball Help

SugarSean
06-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm currently 8th place out of 10 in my league (probably 9th after today). My record is currently 35-42-3 and I'm probably gonna finish 3-7 or 4-6 this week. My roster seems to be set, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

C-Russell Martin (.384 OBP, 6 HR, 38 RBI, 36 R, 8 SB)
1st-Carlos Delgado (.300 OBP, 8 HR, 34 RBI, 28 R, 2 SB)
2nd-Chase Utley (.384 OBP, 10 HR, 44 RBI, 41 R, 3 SB)
3rd-B.J. Upton (.402 OBP, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 31 R, 11 SB)
SS-Carlos Guillen (.384 OBP, 6 HR, 37 RBI, 28 R, 4 SB)
OF-Barry Bonds (.492 OBP, 12 HR, 26 RBI, 31 R, 2 SB)
OF-Hideki Matsui (.360 OBP, 5 HR, 25 RBI, 25 R, 1 SB)
OF-Gary Matthews Jr. (.346 OBP, 7 HR, 33 RBI, 36 R, 9 SB)
Util-Rafael Furcal, (.371 OBP, O HR, 18 RBI, 24 R, 6 SB)
Adrian Beltre (.318 OBP, 9 HR, 27 RBI, 30 R, 5 SB)
or Bobby Abreu (.325 OBP, 2 HR, 22 RBI, 34 R, 8 SB)

SP-Roy Halladay, Daisuke Matsusaka, Curt Schilling, Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Tom Gorzelanny, Fausto Carmona
RP-Jose Valverde, Joe Borowski, Al Reyes

It's a 5x5 league, but with OBP instead of BA.

It's seems like my team is pretty good everywhere, but I always catch a bad break. For instance, I'm 2-6 in the Runs category, but I have the 5th most runs overall.

Should I make moves keep this roster and wait it out. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

ToldLikeItIs
06-04-2007, 01:10 AM
If I'm you, I shut off the saves category entirely, you won't win with only three closers, and the three you have aren't that good.

Two big negatives are Delgado and Bonds, Matsui is a fantasy joke too.

Bait Delgado CUT BONDS (or trade if you have a bonds lover) bait the closers with players to increase a couple other positions, trade bait Schilling, cut the **** out of Beltre (Pence would be ideal) , bait Abreu, bait Matthews high.

If you can't bait the closers, cut their asses and overload with starting pitching, make sure you win the K and W categories every week. You're trying to do to much offensively, and Bonds OBP isn't worth his lack everywhere else.

This team does need some serious work though, even though its not THAT far away.

A good strategy is to GUARANTEE yourself at least 4-5 categories each week, then let everything else play itself out. With you I see SB, runs, OBP (even without bonds), K, and W being legit possibilities. Shoot for those, because you aren't going to win RBI and HR with a squad like that, and ERA and WHIP will be a crapshoot.

ToldLikeItIs
06-04-2007, 01:14 AM
another thing...with Utley being so valuable to a lot of people and the 2b positoin being so weak, you could bait him real high for a premium ass player *vlad, manny, etc, etc, play upton at 2b (not a significant downgrade) and pick up a rolen or something (rolen is about to light it up) in his place at 3b.

SugarSean
06-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Alright, my team went 3-7 last week. There's no way that team is THIS bad. I like your idea for trading Utley, but I'd like to trade him for a top pitcher. Any ideas, ToldLikeItIs? And I made a trade for Carl Crawford. Hopefully that helps some.

Oh yeah, saves is my best category. I'm 7-2 and have tied for the most saves in my league. My worst is WHIP, which I'm 1-8. I'm 3-6 in SB's and everything else I'm either .500 or right below.

ToldLikeItIs
06-05-2007, 11:47 PM
I would not be surprised if you got Santana for Utley at this point, and it would be worth it.

Saves may be your best category now, but not for long, and it's part of your WHIP/ERA problem.

Trade a pitcher and a closer for a better pitcher, and with the open closer spot pick up either a hot, young pitcher (gallardo, bailey) or a bat you think could help the lineup.

Ideal move would be say..Fausto Carmona and Borowski for Brandon Webb, something along those lines. Find someone with weak closers, and trade him/her one of your weak closers (and they are all weak, I hate to say it), also if Adam Wainwright is available in FA, pick him up immediately.

Just get the lame bats out of your lineup, guys that either go yard or strike out, you can't win with them consistently. I'm basically talking about Beltre and Delgado. I'm really undecided on Matthews, he is a 5-tool player, but usually for only 1/2 of a season.

My fantasy team, 10 man league, 100$ buy, looks like this.. 61-34-6 is my record

C - R.Martin
1b - D.Lee
2b - B. Roberts
SS - H. Ramirez
3b - M. Cabrera
OF - I. Suzuki
OF - M. Ramirez
OF - M. Holliday
UTIL - J. Thome
UTIL - B. Upton
BN - C. Figgins

SP - T. Gorzelanny
SP - O. Perez
RP - F. Carmona
RP - C. Gaudin
P - J. Schmidt
P - M. Buerhle
P - F. Hernandez
P - D. Matsuzaka
P - A. Burnett
P - J. Shields
P- J. Beckett
DL - J. Johnson

Trades Ive made are...

K. Johnson and B. Colon for I. Suzuki

C. Granderson and B. Phillips for M. Holliday

M. DeRosa for B. Roberts

Key FA pickups - T. Gorzelanny, J. Shields, B. Upton, O. Perez, F. Carmona, K. Johnson

Undefeated in SB, 8-1 runs, 8-1 K, 7-2 W, 6-3 2B.. but I'm pretty sure my offense is more or less unbeatable at this point.

Billingsley26
06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
What league are you guys playing in??

my scoring is very similar to you, and im not sure of my record at this time, but my lineup is very solid, or at least my pitching staff. im looking to dump abreu, but i feel that yankees will pull it together soon, and thats why im thinking of hanging on to him. my lineup is...

C- Brian Mccan
1B- Mark Texiera
2B- Jeff Kent/ Julio Lugo
SS- Hanley Ramirez
3B- David Wright
OF- Carlos Beltran
OF- Nick Swisher
OF- Bobby Abreu
U- Travis Hafner
BN- Andre Ethier
BN- Jaun Encarnacion
BN- Dave Roberts
BN- Sean Casey

SP-Ian Snell
SP-Jered Weaver
SP-Daisuke Matsuzaka
SP-Dan Haren
SP-Ben Sheets
RP-Billy Wagner
RP-Jose Valverde
RP- Trevor Hoffman
BN-JJ Putz
BN-Armando Benitez
BN-Jason Jennings
BN-Jered Washburn

I think that is one stacked team. What do you think?

EDIT

Trade I made

EDIT again sorry, my first trade was actually with Blalock too
Ryan Howard and Hank Blalock for BOTH (can you beleive it) Beltran and Wright
Ricky Weeks for AGAIN (can you believe it) Dan Haren
Edwin Encarnacion for Brain Mccan

Seems im playing with some idiots!

ToldLikeItIs
06-06-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm just playing in a pretty competitive ten team yahoo league, yeah those trades you made are ridiculous.

Billingsley26
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm just playing in a pretty competitive ten team yahoo league, yeah those trades you made are ridiculous.

Nice, I'm in a ten team league as well but in foxsports.com. I like it, and there are some teams who are solid, but others who just dont know what they are doing. To be honest the guy I traded Ryan Howard + Blalock to is actually doing allright.

SugarSean
06-06-2007, 10:18 AM
On another one of my teams that's in an extremely competitive keeper league I have to drop either Chris B. Young, Delmon Young, Hunter Pence or Elijah Dukes. I can keep three. Who should go?

It's a 5x5 league that has OBP instead of BA, so Dukes is actually a lot more valuable than you would think, b/c he gets a whole bunch of walks. Any ideas?

Billingsley26
06-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I would keep Chris Young, and you say you want to keep Dukes so it would be down to Delmon and Pence, overal Delmon has better stats, but Pence hasnt had the AB that Delmon has. I might stick with Pence, the only thing is that you might be able to get something for Delmon if you try to trade. Dropping either of them is tough. I still might say Delmon.

SugarSean
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not in love with Dukes. The only one I'm really huge on is Delmon. He won't get dropped b/c he has too much potential. It's basically between Dukes and Chris Young b/c I like what Pence gives me this year.

I like Dukes' power and plate discipline and I like how he bats in front of Upton and Crawford, but Chris Young is a potential 30/30 guy. There's the dilemna.

Billingsley26
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Ya thats a tough one. I like Delmon too and I think hes obvioulsy only going to get better. Chris Young, I would keep for sure. This is a tough one. Maybe drop Dukes. Id think of keeping Pence over Dukes.

SugarSean
06-06-2007, 10:56 AM
What exactly is Pence's ceiling? B/c right now I'm kinda thinkin of the best case scenario. I'll probably end up getting rid of Dukes, but I think he could end up being pretty good.

ToldLikeItIs
06-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Dukes could be good, but he's a total psychopath. You drop him, keep Pence, D. Young and C. Young.

ToldLikeItIs
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Pence ceiling is Ted Williams, more realistic is Matt Holliday, which is still pretty damn good.

I'm just getting dominated this week btw in the hitting categories, my opponent has Carl Crawford, Berkman, Pujols, Uggla, Rollins, and Michael Barrett, of all people.

fenikz
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
im in 1st in my buddies & my league(yahoo 12 people) but not by enough what can i do to help my team?

C Jorge Posada (NYY - C)
1B Todd Helton (Col - 1B)
2B Tadahito Iguchi (CWS - 2B)
3B Álex Rodríguez (NYY - 3B)
SS Jimmy Rollins (Phi - SS)
OF Jermaine Dye (CWS - OF)
OF Carl Crawford (TB - OF)
OF Ken Griffey Jr. (Cin - OF)
Util Mark Teahen (KC - 3B,OF)
Bench Sammy Sosa (Tex - OF)
DL Scott Podsednik (CWS - OF)

SP Brandon Webb (Ari - SP)
SP C.C. Sabathia (Cle - SP)
SP Randy Johnson (Ari - SP)
SP Gil Meche (KC - SP)
SP Tim Hudson (Atl - SP)
SP Matt Cain (SF - SP)
SP Chuck James (Atl - SP,RP)
RP Billy Wagner (NYM - RP)
RP J.J. Putz (Sea - RP)
RP José Valverde (Ari - RP)
RP Joakim Soria (KC - RP)

a trade that i was offered

Johnny Estrada
B.J. Upton
for
Jorge Posada

i see no reason why i should do it

ToldLikeItIs
06-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I would strongly consider that trade, Posada is hitting out of his ass, he's never hit .280 in a year, Estrada is a .300 guy, and Upton is a very strong upgrade from Iguchi, especially with his new OF eligibility.

ToldLikeItIs
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Dye and Griffey, I'm a 5-tool guy and I like 5-tool players, maybe bait them a bit.

I really like your team otherwise, Upton gives you a nice jump in SB as well.

fenikz
06-09-2007, 11:15 PM
im in 1st in my buddies & my league(yahoo 12 people) but not by enough what can i do to help my team?

C Johnny Estrada (C - Mil)
1B Todd Helton (Col - 1B)
2B B.J. Upton (TB- 2B,3B,OF)
3B Álex Rodríguez (NYY - 3B)
SS Jimmy Rollins (Phi - SS)
OF Jermaine Dye (CWS - OF)
OF Carl Crawford (TB - OF)
OF Ken Griffey Jr. (Cin - OF)
Util Mark Teahen (KC - 3B,OF)
Bench Sammy Sosa (Tex - OF)
DL Scott Podsednik (CWS - OF)

SP Brandon Webb (Ari - SP)
SP C.C. Sabathia (Cle - SP)
SP Randy Johnson (Ari - SP)
SP Gil Meche (KC - SP)
SP Tim Hudson (Atl - SP)
SP Matt Cain (SF - SP)
SP Chuck James (Atl - SP,RP)
RP Billy Wagner (NYM - RP)
RP J.J. Putz (Sea - RP)
RP José Valverde (Ari - RP)
RP Joakim Soria (KC - RP)

i just got an offer, it sounds good but the problem is i have so many 3Bs

I get

David Wright
Jeremy Accardo

I Give

Billy Wagner
Matt Cain

ToldLikeItIs
06-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Are CG and SO categories, also is whip?

I like the deal, but try and deal Teahen with it for another one of his guys.

ToldLikeItIs
06-10-2007, 06:08 AM
maybe, this is only if he has a premium catcher, like Martinez or Mauer..

Wags Cain Estrada

Premium Catcher, Wright, Accardo

Geo
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I was recently offered the following trade in an 11-team rotisserie Yahoo league I'm in, by someone who has offered a dozen or so trade proposals for A-Rod which I've all turned down, and I'm wondering what NFLDC thinks:

3B Aramis Ramirez
OF Carlos Beltran
for
3B Alex Rodríguez

My roster is as follows:

C Paul Lo Duca
1B Justin Morneau
2B Freddy Sánchez
3B Alex Rodríguez
SS Michael Young
OF Carl Crawford
OF Gary Sheffield
OF Johnny Damon
UT Carlos Guillén
BN Ryan Doumit
BN Casey Kotchman
BN Julio Lugo
BN Corey Hart
BN Jeff Francoeur

SP Danny Haren
SP Jeremy Bonderman
SP James Shields
RP Jonathan Papelbon
RP Ryan Dempster
RP Bob Wickman
RP Kevin Gregg
BN Gil Meche
BN Chris Capuano

It's important to note that I'm at the roster limit, so I'd have to drop a player to make room if I did accept the trade. I'm currently in 1st place thanks to some great performances in the last week or so, although I've mainly hovered around 3rd to 5th place on the year. The only trade I've made was last week, trading Ervin Santana for Paul Lo Duca. My ranks in the scoring standings at the moment:

Batting: Runs 6.5, HR 10.5, RBI 11, SB 10, AVG 2
Pitching: W 9, SV 6, K 11, ERA 8, WHIP 7.5

SugarSean
06-11-2007, 02:02 AM
I'd take that trade. Beltran is gonna bounce back and btwn him and Aramis, you more than cover the loss of A-Rod. Drop Doumit or Kotchmann, and let Sheff be your back-up first baseman.

M.O.T.H.
06-11-2007, 02:42 AM
I would not be surprised if you got Santana for Utley at this point, and it would be worth it.

Saves may be your best category now, but not for long, and it's part of your WHIP/ERA problem.

Trade a pitcher and a closer for a better pitcher, and with the open closer spot pick up either a hot, young pitcher (gallardo, bailey) or a bat you think could help the lineup.

Ideal move would be say..Fausto Carmona and Borowski for Brandon Webb, something along those lines. Find someone with weak closers, and trade him/her one of your weak closers (and they are all weak, I hate to say it), also if Adam Wainwright is available in FA, pick him up immediately.

Just get the lame bats out of your lineup, guys that either go yard or strike out, you can't win with them consistently. I'm basically talking about Beltre and Delgado. I'm really undecided on Matthews, he is a 5-tool player, but usually for only 1/2 of a season.

My fantasy team, 10 man league, 100$ buy, looks like this.. 61-34-6 is my record

C - R.Martin
1b - D.Lee
2b - B. Roberts
SS - H. Ramirez
3b - M. Cabrera
OF - I. Suzuki
OF - M. Ramirez
OF - M. Holliday
UTIL - J. Thome
UTIL - B. Upton
BN - C. Figgins

SP - T. Gorzelanny
SP - O. Perez
RP - F. Carmona
RP - C. Gaudin
P - J. Schmidt
P - M. Buerhle
P - F. Hernandez
P - D. Matsuzaka
P - A. Burnett
P - J. Shields
P- J. Beckett
DL - J. Johnson

Trades Ive made are...

K. Johnson and B. Colon for I. Suzuki

C. Granderson and B. Phillips for M. Holliday

M. DeRosa for B. Roberts

Key FA pickups - T. Gorzelanny, J. Shields, B. Upton, O. Perez, F. Carmona, K. Johnson

Undefeated in SB, 8-1 runs, 8-1 K, 7-2 W, 6-3 2B.. but I'm pretty sure my offense is more or less unbeatable at this point.

Mark Derosa for Brian Roberts straight up??? That makes zero sense.

bsaza2358
06-11-2007, 08:44 AM
3B Aramis Ramirez
OF Carlos Beltran
for
3B Alex Rodríguez

You HAVE to take this deal and take it now. I would almost consider Beltran for A-Rod a near even deal. Aramis is a top 5 3B. Even with the knee injury, he's going to play and hit.

Eaglez.Fan
06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Depends who else you have. Looking at it right now, I would not do this deal. Beltran is the better talent. You have to give more background.

My OF's are Crawford, Rios and Matsui.(3 starting OF) I always have to bench one because I can't bench Beltran and I could use another pitcher. Halladay hasn't been lights out but I have a feeling he'll be dominant again soon.

[moved]

bsaza2358
06-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Seems kind of silly to get only Halladay. You could do better.

ToldLikeItIs
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
DeRosa for Roberts was garbage I know, the guy liked what he saw from him early and DeRosas position eligibility, he also had Hudson and Kinsler at 2B.

I lost for the first time last week, 6-5, guy laid 18 hr 50 runs 20 doubles and 46 rbi on me, ouch!

Geo
06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
You HAVE to take this deal and take it now. I would almost consider Beltran for A-Rod a near even deal. Aramis is a top 5 3B. Even with the knee injury, he's going to play and hit.
A-Rod for Beltran straight up, I'd reject w/o a moment's notice: Rodriguez is a better player in every category with the exception of stolen bases, and even then Beltran won't have much more (no more than a half-dozen imo). There's also the matter of quality/depth at the position, 3B vs. OF.

In fact, I wouldn't trade Rodriguez for any other single player - Pujols, Howard, etcetera. He's in the perfect line-up/offense to ensure he'll get his scoring opportunities, a line-up that will wear opposing pitchers down (he's even hitting Red Sox pitchers), and you can count on Rodriguez every day. Especially as the Yanks will try desperately to win the wild card spot - they won't though, either the Tigers or Indians will.

Beltran and Ramirez for Rodriguez alone sounds like a great deal, but the actual question to ponder is whether Beltran and Ramirez are going to produce more than Rodriguez and a third OF on my roster (Francoeur, Damon, Corey Hart who I really like in a budding Brewers offense, or an OF I acquire via FA or trade)? That's what I'm debating.

Billingsley26
06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
A-Rod for Beltran straight up, I'd reject w/o a moment's notice: Rodriguez is a better player in every category with the exception of stolen bases, and even then Beltran won't have much more (no more than a half-dozen imo). There's also the matter of quality/depth at the position, 3B vs. OF.

In fact, I wouldn't trade Rodriguez for any other single player - Pujols, Howard, etcetera. He's in the perfect line-up/offense to ensure he'll get his scoring opportunities, a line-up that will wear opposing pitchers down (he's even hitting Red Sox pitchers), and you can count on Rodriguez every day. Especially as the Yanks will try desperately to win the wild card spot - they won't though, either the Tigers or Indians will.

Beltran and Ramirez for Rodriguez alone sounds like a great deal, but the actual question to ponder is whether Beltran and Ramirez are going to produce more than Rodriguez and a third OF on my roster (Francoeur, Damon, Corey Hart who I really like in a budding Brewers offense, or an OF I acquire via FA or trade)? That's what I'm debating.

I agree, A-Rod to me isn't worth trading for only one other player in the game. In my league, a guy traded A-Rod for Jake Peavey, Oliver Perez and Dontrelle Willis. That might have overpaid for him, but goes to show you what some people will pay.

Eaglez.Fan
06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Beltran, Russell Martin and Scott Rolen for Halladay, and Ryan Howard?

If I get Howard Rolen will be on my bench and since Mauer is coming back, Martin is on my bench. And I have 4 good OF's and can only start 3.

ToldLikeItIs
06-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I would do Arod for aramis and Beltran, having Damon lets you benefit on some of Arods progress.

Eaglez, your deal at the bottom sounds pretty good as well

ToldLikeItIs
06-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Just made two trades..

In one league, where I'm in 2nd out of 5, I traded Aramis Alfonso and Roger Clemens for ARod, Berkman, and Daisuke.

In another league, the one I've been posting about, I traded Upton, Thome and Beckett for Michael Young, Alfonso Soriano, and Barry Zito.

Geo
06-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Not afraid to pull the trigger, I see. :p

I like both trades, although probably the former moreso because I'm a bit leery of Zito (granted he had a stellar three-game stretch before the Oakland game). Nice job parlaying the return of Clemens, while his stock is high, into the acquisition of A-Rod. As an owner of Michael Young myself, I know firsthand that he's been playing well since his early season slump, although the better shortstop on my team is still Carlos Guillen who I drafted two rounds or so later.

btw, just to follow up, I ultimately decided to accept the trade of Carlos Beltrán/Aramis Ramirez for Alex Rodríguez (and also dropped Casey Kotchman to make room). By the time the trade passes through and players have switched teams, Ramirez's 15-day DL stint will end in under a week and quite frankly I'm more comfortable with the fact that he's being given time to recover from his patellar tendinitis.

Geo
06-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Beltran, Russell Martin and Scott Rolen for Halladay, and Ryan Howard?

If I get Howard Rolen will be on my bench and since Mauer is coming back, Martin is on my bench. And I have 4 good OF's and can only start 3.
So what's the word on this, eaglez?