PDA

View Full Version : How Are The Rook's Doing?

BigRed
06-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I haven't been able to find much in the way of access to rookie reviews, so how have all your rookie's been doing so far? Who's impressed? Who doesn't look worth their draft position? and so on...

Addict
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
well from what I've seen on Hondo reports (you could check the Detroit Lions team board for them) CJ's looking really really good. But then again they're hysterically positive about all rookies in those notes, so take them with a grain of salt.

lod01
06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Meachem is starting to head south already. Out of shape, now injuries. I said he was bad news when he stated in January that he 'came out early to cash in'.

simms2clayton
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Meachem is starting to head south already. Out of shape, now injuries. I said he was bad news when he stated in January that he 'came out early to cash in'.

Don't they all come out early to "cash in"? I mean, if they weren't getting paid to play in the NFL then there is certainly no point in coming out...but in your defense I guess that was just a pretty stupid thing to say...sounds very LenDale White-ish.

Moses
06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Too early to tell...gotta wait until the pads are on. Basically everybody looks good running around in shorts.

ricky bobby
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw (7th round pick) of the Giants is being called the steal of the draft and is supposedly the second coming of Tiki Barber.

DChess
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
um, brady quinn cant hit water if he fell out of a boat

soybean
06-04-2007, 03:30 PM
i heard steve smith is really impressing, on his first day he owned aaron ross twice on double moves.

ricky bobby
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
i heard steve smith is really impressing, on his first day he owned aaron ross twice on double moves.
Yep, Steve Smith has really impressed also. Will be our #3 WR this year over Sinorice Moss, or may possibly beat out Toomer for the #2.

keylime_5
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Brady Quinn has been shaky. Eric Wright has looked really really great at cornerback.

underscore
06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Apparently Tony Hunt is surprising some people, as many expected him to be more of a Ron Dayne one-dimensional "slow run'em over" type. He has impressed with his all-around skills.

kmartin575
06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Dwayne Bowe supposedly started off slow in rookie minicamps but in full squad minicamps and OTA's he has been much better. He has also supposedly become one of Brodie Croyle's favorite targets.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw (7th round pick) of the Giants is being called the steal of the draft and is supposedly the second coming of Tiki Barber.

Yeah and reports are Jordan Palmer is gonna be better than his brother.

ricky bobby
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah and reports are Jordan Palmer is gonna be better than his brother.
More power to him.
You're so jealous.
:)

draftguru151
06-04-2007, 04:29 PM

Did you also hear him at the combine when he talked about how he prayed about it and he felt it was time to move on? I have a feeling it didn't just say "I'm going to the NFL to get paid" and you're bending the meaning a bit.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Russell had a rough first minicamp, but apparently he's taken to Kiffin's playbook very well and has become a presence in the huddle very quickly. And of course he's making throws that are shocking many.

Kiffin's also really speaking highly of his work ethic, saying he's spending huge chunks of time after practice in the film room and studying with the coaches.

Addict
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Russell had a rough first minicamp, but apparently he's taken to Kiffin's playbook very well and has become a presence in the huddle very quickly. And of course he's making throws that are shocking many.

Kiffin's also really speaking highly of his work ethic, saying he's spending huge chunks of time after practice in the film room and studying with the coaches.

that's a good sign. But as it is with Calvin Johnson I'd take all that with a grain of salt...

MasterShake
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
This thread will be nothing but homerism...lead by the Giants fans as usual...

Addict
06-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Inevitable, since all the minicamp reports are from the teams themselves, they're not gonna burn their own rookies.

MasterShake
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Inevitable, since all the minicamp reports are from the teams themselves, they're not gonna burn their own rookies.

Correct, so its really pointless...

But to say things like "the second coming of Tiki Barber" about a 7th round pick really in his first mini-camp in shorts is....I can't even find words to sum up the total amount of homerism and stupidity involved in it....if anyone can...please feel free to chime in...

Sniper
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Apparently Tony Hunt is surprising some people, as many expected him to be more of a Ron Dayne one-dimensional "slow run'em over" type. He has impressed with his all-around skills.

I always thought Hunt played faster than his 40 times. He's never gonna be confused with Reggie Bush, but I really like him on the Eagles. I think he's a great fit for the Birds

Paranoidmoonduck
06-04-2007, 05:17 PM
that's a good sign. But as it is with Calvin Johnson I'd take all that with a grain of salt...

Of course, especially considering that Kiffin is the one saying those things. Still, he has shown himself to be pretty frank and honest about team issues so far this offseason and even outside sources are commenting how Russell basically eradicated all of his fumbles and a good number of his inconsistent throws after that first minicamp.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-04-2007, 05:18 PM

I still don't understand why people soured on him so much. Sure, he ran a slow 40, but his game tape was really impressive.

Mr. Stiller
06-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Did you also hear him at the combine when he talked about how he prayed about it and he felt it was time to move on? I have a feeling it didn't just say "I'm going to the NFL to get paid" and you're bending the meaning a bit.

Then you add the fact he has a family to support. Just like Dwayne Wright did from Fresno.

ricky bobby
06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Us New Yorkers have a saying that goes something like this; "We're better than you"

Addict
06-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Of course, especially considering that Kiffin is the one saying those things. Still, he has shown himself to be pretty frank and honest about team issues so far this offseason and even outside sources are commenting how Russell basically eradicated all of his fumbles and a good number of his inconsistent throws after that first minicamp.

I don't doubt Russel is working hard and showing well, I'm just saying I'm not buying everything all these 'minicamp sources' are saying.

elway777
06-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Ummm since all of Denvers picks were linemen it's hard to tell.

M.O.T.H.
06-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Apparently, Anthony Spencer has been outstanding... He's learning a lot from Ware and Ellis has taken him under his wing.

Caddy
06-05-2007, 01:12 AM
The things I like about the reports from Buccaneer's minicamps are that a lot of the quotes that come directly from Gruden often highlight things the players might need to work on. He tells it like it is which is one thing that I really like to see.

In saying that, a lot of positive things have been said about Adams, Sears and Piscitelli, but there have also been things that need to be addressed which have been pointed out by Gruden and others.

Modano
06-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Apparently, Anthony Spencer has been outstanding... He's learning a lot from Ware and Ellis has taken him under his wing.

You forgot too say that James Marten looks like Frankstein ;)

BamaFalcon59
06-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Falcons (off the top of my head)

Jamaal Anderson- immensely physically talented, impressive. Lots of work needed technique wise.

Laurent Robinson- the biggest surprise so far. Great hands and speed, adjusting to NFL speed fine, catching everything thrown his way. Sounds good. Apparently our WR coach and OC and scouts lobbied for him hard.

Martrez Milner- Petrino likes him. Athletic, showing no hand problems catching the ball. Good blocking. No pads of corse.

David Irons- looking ok, but is being to physical and doing some things that would get penalized.

BufFan71
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Lynch- is catching the ball really good, and is doing good.

Wright- Also doing very well, surprising the coaches at how quick he is

T.Edwards- good deep ball, good accuracy, perfect for Fairchild's offense

Poz- no news, doesnt do anything outstanding, but everything ok

UDFA- Jemain Cornelius (UF)- has been VERY impressive, i wont be surprised if he makes the roster, and gets some playing time

george_allen
06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
the rumor as i understand it out of the rams very 1st mini-camp following the draft was that the moment adam carriker first stepped on to the field, the skys opened up and a blinding ray of light descended from the heavens upon him.
an omnipotent and supremely authoritative voice thundered down upon practicing masses and said onto him :
“adam. you shall deliver my run defense from the pestilence and debauchery that has shackled them.
go forth, adam, and lead my run defense to the promised land.”

other than that, nothing unusual to report on of the rams rookies.

(turns out that was just a night practice where linehan was up in the tower with a megaphone and haslet pointing a spot light on carriker)

actually, based on a sampling of the st louis area reporters comments –
they’ve moved carriker inside to dt and he’s doing well so far.
brian leonard looks promising and reportedly linehan is looking to scheme to his flexibility.
jonathan wade appears raw but physically gifted and coachable.
clifton ryan got injured and kieth jackson has over-taken him in hopes of landing a dt spot in the final 53.
i haven’t noticed that much reported on dustin fry or derek stanley to this point.
personally, i’m curious to see how quinton culberson fares in the pre-season . . .

BlindSite
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
No news really on any of our rookies other than the standard fluff pieces.

Some people who've been to minicamps though are saying that Jarrett is massive and is looking pretty quick for his size.

Beason is getting reps with the first team and is learning a lot from morgan.

skinzzfan25
06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Landrys fightin for that starting spot. But he probably will come in during the bye, week 4.

I'm cool with that though :P

DeathbyStat
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM

I wish the steelers would have nabbed him

umphrey
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Harrell - haven't heard much about him except that he is MASSIVE physically, really strong upper body/biceps especially

Brandon Jackson - Heard a lot of good things and that he is running really strong

James Jones - Heard a lot of people say that he is a reach that is really gonna pay off sooner rather than later and that he is catching everything thrown his way

The rest - Hall probably wont make the roster, Crosby looks good and is likely to be our kicker, Harris our 7th round TE looks horrible, Wynn our 7th round RB has been hurt

On a side note Morency has been getting a lot of praise for bulking up and showing up ready to play. I think he will be the biggest surprise on the Packers in 07 complemented by improved OL play.

Mr. Stiller
06-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I wish the steelers would have nabbed him

I don't. We needed a Reliable #2 TE, way more than a Short Yardage back..

We got Barlow and probably grab Caulcrick/Ball/Lumpkin in the 08 draft

PalmerToCJ
06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Marvin White has really impressed Bengals coaches thus far with his all around ability. They felt he was better than advertised in coverage from what they saw. He's even attracted the attention of the top offensive guys on the team.

Grizzlegom
06-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Calvin Johnson dropped a pass.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/BLOG21/70605040/1049/SPORTS

draftguru151
06-07-2007, 09:35 AM

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/BLOG21/70605040/1049/SPORTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_EVERq4TI

stephenson86
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM

hes gonna be a bust

david81
06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Read that Jason Hill has looked very impressive so far and has a chance to start.

MNRunLeft
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_EVERq4TI

I thought Troy Williamson went to South Carolina not Georgia Tech