PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jacobs vs. Marion Barber vs. Michael Turner

CM4
12-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Which back would you want?

I feel that Marion Barber is the best out of all of them, he is the quickest and fastest for sure and runs with great power for his size. I actually feel he should be starting of Julius Jones but Im not Dallas' RB coach so it doesnt mean much.
I feel Brandon Jacobs is vastly overrated because of his size, people immediately say he is unstoppable in Goal Line situations when that is simply not true, of course he will truck people here and there, but i dont think he can be a full time starter.
And Turner I feel will never be a real solid starting back for another Team, I feel that he is a great backup but is not an every down back, he doesnt have enough quickness to be effective every down, he runs hard but he just will never be anywhere near an elite back.

Whats your take on these guys?

CM4
12-02-2006, 03:08 AM
can a moderator please ADD MICHAEL TURNER to the options for the poll question

Windy
12-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Marion Barber

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2006, 03:35 AM
I like Marion Barber, but Brandon Jacobs is just a monster. Although Barber is more versatile, I'm from a power rushing team and I'd take Jacobs.

Burns336
12-02-2006, 04:50 AM
barber leads the nfc with 11 td's. hes got a nose for the end zone.

JonIH87
12-02-2006, 06:16 AM
This is a really good question.

I'd take Marion Barber III

He's more versatile (A MUST in this league)
He's fast, he's shifty, he can catch, he can pass protect.
He's a violent runner, both in how he attacks the defense and in his motions.
He's not smooth, but he gets the job done.
He's got good vision, and he hits the hole hard.
He just won't break a long one.
He's the perfect compliment runningback.
To any runningback.

Whereas Jacobs is just bowling ball.
He smacks you in the mouth, and then smacks your teammates in the mouth, and THEN falls forward 2 more yards.
He's beastly in the short yardage situations.
I think defenses are actually afraid of him.
But's he only got that one thing.

Turner is a very good back, who is in the perfect place.
He was workhorse in college, and being the backup to LT, he's gotten to rest his legs.
He's a very good between the tackles runner, but he's also got VERY VERY good short area burst.
And decent top end speed.
He's not a great pass protector, or receiver.

It all really depends on who your starting RB is and what his strengths are, but MBIII would be my choice.

dcarey20
12-02-2006, 07:30 AM
I really, really like Barber.

Barber, Turner, Jacobs, in that order, though I like all of them.

MaxV
12-02-2006, 07:34 AM
I think Barber would put up excellent numbers if he was starting.

Both Turner and Jacobs can start too and I think would be 1,000 yard backs also, but neither has the ability of Barber.

12-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Barber for me.

I'mAHustler
12-02-2006, 08:22 AM
It's Tha Burna for me. He would be lighting it up anywhere else plus he's got gamebreaking speed...

P-L
12-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I really like Michael Turner. I was actually disappointed when San Diego drafted him because I didn't think he'd get much of a shot.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-02-2006, 10:13 AM
IMO Barber would probly be the best starter on most teams, but I just really like Brandon Jacobs. He's an absolute monster.

draftguru151
12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I'll take Brandon Jacobs. That is one big mofo.

The Unseen
12-02-2006, 10:35 AM
This is a very good question...Brandon Jacobs or Michael Turner for me; I can't decide. I also hear good things about Barber.

Number 10
12-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Barber is a more complete back. With that said, Jacobs is faster than you guys think, you'll find out next year. He is much better in short yardage situations and that is pretty much all he has been asked to do.

If I needed an every down back, I'd take Barber right now. If I needed a power back, I'd take Jacobs.

Hurricane Ditka
12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Brandon Jacobs. He's an absolute beast. 6-4, 250, ran a 4.55 forty. He's a monster.

$KidCowboy$
12-02-2006, 11:03 AM
This is a really good question.

I'd take Marion Barber III

He's more versatile (A MUST in this league)
He's fast, he's shifty, he can catch, he can pass protect.
He's a violent runner, both in how he attacks the defense and in his motions.
He's not smooth, but he gets the job done.
He's got good vision, and he hits the hole hard.
He just won't break a long one.
He's the perfect compliment runningback.
To any runningback.

Whereas Jacobs is just bowling ball.
He smacks you in the mouth, and then smacks your teammates in the mouth, and THEN falls forward 2 more yards.
He's beastly in the short yardage situations.
I think defenses are actually afraid of him.
But's he only got that one thing.

Turner is a very good back, who is in the perfect place.
He was workhorse in college, and being the backup to LT, he's gotten to rest his legs.
He's a very good between the tackles runner, but he's also got VERY VERY good short area burst.
And decent top end speed.
He's not a great pass protector, or receiver.

It all really depends on who your starting RB is and what his strengths are, but MBIII would be my choice.

was that a poem?

NIN1984
12-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Brandon Jacobs! that guy is so much fun to watch he's a beast

KILLERSANTA
12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Barber

thetedginnshow
12-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Depends on what I wanted. If I wanted a back-up, it'd probably be Jacobs. But if I wanted a franchise back, it'd be Barber.

GB12
12-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Depends on what I wanted. If I wanted a back-up, it'd probably be Jacobs. But if I wanted a franchise back, it'd be Barber.

I'd take Barber for both.

Vikes99ej
12-02-2006, 12:49 PM
I'll take Barber for sure. Yeah, Jacobs is huge, but he would not be a good everydown back.

eacantdraft
12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Brandon Jacobs hands down. He will be the 2nd coming of The Bus.

Number 10
12-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I'll take Barber for sure. Yeah, Jacobs is huge, but he would not be a good everydown back.

Are you basing that off of his size or have you seen him play enough?

Eaglez.Fan
12-02-2006, 01:10 PM
1. Turner
2. Barber
3. Jacobs

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I hate Turner he has the power to run over people but doesnt.

Vikes99ej
12-02-2006, 01:13 PM

Are you basing that off of his size or have you seen him play enough? I've seen im play plenty. I have tiki Barber, so I watch the giants whenever they're on T.V. Jacobs just doesn't have everything I want in a feature back.

bmoreravens5289
12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
1. Brandon Jacobs
2. Micheal Turner
3. Marion Barber

Jacobs is like Jamal Lewis when he was younger...

Number 10
12-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Are you basing that off of his size or have you seen him play enough? I've seen im play plenty. I have tiki Barber, so I watch the giants whenever they're on T.V. Jacobs just doesn't have everything I want in a feature back.

Alright fair enough. Just wanted to make sure because many will make their judgments off of his size alone and not realize how fast he really is.

For those of you who don't know much about him, go look at his YPC and realize he gets 75-85% of his carries on 3rd and 1 or on the goal line.

Shane P. Hallam
12-02-2006, 01:29 PM
I'll go with Turner. Barber is essentially a 1b RB for Dallas, so he gets the chances that Jacobs and Turner doesn't, thus why he looks better. I LOVE Barber, but I think Turner could really be a great back in the NFL.

Vikes99ej
12-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Alright fair enough. Just wanted to make sure because many will make their judgments off of his size alone and not realize how fast he really is.

For those of you who don't know much about him, go look at his YPC and realize he gets 75-85% of his carries on 3rd and 1 or on the goal line. He's probably the best 3rd down back in the league. Number 10, do you think the Giants will use him full-time next year, or will they pursue a back in the offseason or draft?

Damix
12-02-2006, 01:31 PM
It would have been Barber, but I've seen that Jacobs can catch out of the backfield and has really developed in pass protections.

Number 10
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM

For those of you who don't know much about him, go look at his YPC and realize he gets 75-85% of his carries on 3rd and 1 or on the goal line. He's probably the best 3rd down back in the league. Number 10, do you think the Giants will use him full-time next year, or will they pursue a back in the offseason or draft?

We'll without a doubt pursue a RB in the offseason. I don't want Turner here unless we could get him for a 2nd rounder....even then I'd be shaky.

He can be a full time back but his legs, much like Eddie George, will take a beating therefore I want another back to go along with him. It can be a slasher or it can be another powr back, really doesn't matter to me.

swagger
12-02-2006, 01:54 PM
MB3 is a stud. I think he could easily be a workhorse RB for a team, and I think he is almost better than Julius Jones. In that draft, the Vikes traded up for Ciatrick Fason (who hasn't done much). If they had traded up for Barber, I think he'd be their franchise RB right now.

Brad Jacobs is also a stud-- but I'm not sure he could be a franchise #1 RB. I just don't trust the durability of a 6'4 running back in the NFL. I think his role is perfect. When Tiki retires they should try to bring in some "lightning" to Jacobs' "thunder". That "thunder and lightning" phrase is so overused, but Jacobs is just perfect for it.

Michael Turner is overrated, in my opinion. Defenses likely breath a huge sigh of relief when LT is standing on the sideline on an offensive possession. I don't think it'd be too difficult for a guy to look good being Tomlinson's backup. If I were Turner, I'd try and stay a backup to LT.

TiTaNsFAN 1014
12-02-2006, 02:34 PM
i would personally take M Turner. I was listening to one of the sports radio shows here in Chicago right before the San Diego Vs. Chicago Pre season game, and the hosts were talkin to the main commentator guy for the chargers and he said that the Chargers know how good Turner can be and they would want a first round pick for him. That's what he said, not me. I like all these backs but im not sure, depending on how high the pick is, that i would ever trade a first round pick for any of these three guys. Also, during that Bears vs chargers pre season game, Turner was just manhandling the bears first team defense. He runs very hard and is still pretty quick too. All 3 guys could be quality starters, but i like Turner the best.

bigbluedefense
12-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Tough question. I think its between Turner and Jacobs.

MBIII is the most complete, but he doesn't have the speed I would like in a full time back.

Jacobs has the speed and power, but lacks shiftiness, and can work on catching.

Turner has power and speed and shiftiness, but needs to work on pass protection and catching.

I'll take Turner. I think he's the most capable of the 3 for every down. He gives you power, speed, and shiftiness. His faults can be worked on.

By the way, having a poll with any Cowboy player is useless for obvious reasons...

JT Jag
12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
The stats say that Maurice Drew is strictly better then both Jacobs and Turner.

So I gotta give it up to Marion Barber III.

Poet3334
12-02-2006, 11:08 PM
MBIII all day. More versitility.

Bearsfan123
12-02-2006, 11:40 PM
i prefer Jacobs. Ive only seen him a couple times, but i was very impressed. I personally think he can be their feature back next year and may even surpass what Tiki will have put out this year.

Barber looked good to me as well, but *shrug* I just like Jacobs more.

ccB
12-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Turner, Barber, Jacobs. In that order. I love Turners blend of speed and power.

jpapa4490
12-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Barber III

fryman
12-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Turner
Barber
Jacobs

Barber isn't a threat to score if you aren't in the redzone. Turner is a threat anywhere.

swagger
12-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Turner
Barber
Jacobs

Barber isn't a threat to score if you aren't in the redzone. Turner is a threat anywhere.

So is Michael Bennett. That means nothing.

DHVF
12-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Turner
Barber
Jacobs

So is Michael Bennett. That means nothing.Oh snap!

duckseason
12-03-2006, 05:09 AM
Turner
Barber
Jacobs

Huh? It means nothing if a back can take it to the house from anywhere on the field?
Dude, that is basically a prerequisite for being a full time back in the NFL. It's really the only attribute keeping Barber from starting.

I rank them like this-

1a Turner
1b Barber
1c Jacobs

I certainly wouldn't give up a first for any of them though. Quality backs grow like weeds.
Very few are worth so much as to skip on certain rare specimens that can be found in that premium range.

Jughead10
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
If Barber is so good why doesn't he get more carries. It isn't like he is playing behind Tiki or LT?

Marion Barber III 24
12-03-2006, 10:24 AM
If Barber is so good why doesn't he get more carries. It isn't like he is playing behind Tiki or LT?

The reason Barber doesn't get many carries is because Bill is using the Two-Back system effectivly. I can't argue with success.

How can you argue 11 Tds in One season? He is the perfect complimentary back. Julius isn't bad in his own right, should break 1,000.

You have to remember though, before Romo, we were running against 8 in the Box.

You know my choice :)

Jughead10
12-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Brandon Jacobs. He's an absolute beast. 6-4, 250, ran a 4.55 forty. He's a monster.

He is actually 264 and runs that. Yeah, he's bigger than Strahan. He is a physical freak. Of that likes we haven't seen since Bo Jackson. The question is hard to answer because his opportunities have been more limited than the other two backs. But like Number 10 said, just look at his yards per carry and remember that the majority of his carries he is only asked to get 1 or 2 yards.

Jughead10
12-03-2006, 10:28 AM

The reason Barber doesn't get many carries is because Bill is using the Two-Back system effectivly. I can't argue with success.

How can you argue 11 Tds in One season? He is the perfect complimentary back. Julius isn't bad in his own right, should break 1,000.

You have to remember though, before Romo, we were running against 8 in the Box.

You know my choice :)

It is hard to argue with 11 TDs in one season. But Jacobs is almost right there as well with 8 with more limited opportunities.

fryman
12-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Turner
Barber
Jacobs

That with the rest of his running would make him a good feature back. Jacobs and Barber I think would be about equal running, so Barber got the nod there because he is more versatile.

Turner could probably have just as many TDs as Barber, but Turner has LT in front of him as a goal line back. Turner has size and athleticism, which would probably make him a great goal line back.

locseti
12-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Jacob is my favorite player out of these three. But I would love to have any of these guys on The Raiders. They're all future stars and I dont know why Orange Julius starts over MBIII...

Jacobs showed some speed against Dallas today, took a little screen pass for like 35 yds.

MBIII is a helluva blocker too.

12-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Jacobs pwns.

swagger
12-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Yep, I agree. MB3 > JJ. Definitely.

As a Viking fan, MB3 > Chester Taylor. In that draft we traded up in the 4th round to take Ciatrick Fason. Look at this chunk of picks:

109 Dallas Marion Barber RB Minnesota
110 N.Y. Giants Brandon Jacobs RB Southern Illinois
111 Arizona Elton Brown G Virginia
112 Minnesota Ciatrick Fason RB Florida

The (now fired) Vikings staff have pie on their faces. They should traded up a little more and nabbed one of those two, preferably MB3. Had they traded up for MB3, I think he would be the franchise back of this team, because as I said MB3 > Chester Taylor. What a pity.

Space Ghost
12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I would take Brandon Jacobs. He is probably not the fastest but he is obviously the biggest. He can also catch the ball decently, its the one thing that none of them really do that often, but from what I have seen of Jacobs he seems better than both Turner and Barber save the Thanks Giving masacre vs. the Bucs.

Jacobs runs with authority and won't go down. I know that all three of these guys are physical power backs, but you can't ignore Jacobs size advantage and his highlight reel of plowing people. To be honest I wouldn't want any of these backups starting for my team, I would prefer a healthy Greg Jones over all of them, he is pretty much a shorter Brandon Jacobs who doesn't leave himself as open for injuries (I know he is often injured).

I have no idea how any of these guys pass block because they aren't usually in the game on passing downs. I personally would take Brandon Jacobs of the three offered, but as for other backup running backs I would take ahead of these guys: Greg Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew and Ladell Betts. Maybe someone should make a thread about which backup running back you would take for a starter.

Poet3334
12-03-2006, 07:58 PM
After what I saw today, I know that Jacobs is a STUD. He was the only Giant that I was afraid of. They should have used him more. I'm glad they didn't though.

fryman
12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I would take Brandon Jacobs. He is probably not the fastest but he is obviously the biggest. He can also catch the ball decently, its the one thing that none of them really do that often, but from what I have seen of Jacobs he seems better than both Turner and Barber save the Thanks Giving masacre vs. the Bucs.

Jacobs runs with authority and won't go down. I know that all three of these guys are physical power backs, but you can't ignore Jacobs size advantage and his highlight reel of plowing people. To be honest I wouldn't want any of these backups starting for my team, I would prefer a healthy Greg Jones over all of them, he is pretty much a shorter Brandon Jacobs who doesn't leave himself as open for injuries (I know he is often injured).

I have no idea how any of these guys pass block because they aren't usually in the game on passing downs. I personally would take Brandon Jacobs of the three offered, but as for other backup running backs I would take ahead of these guys: Greg Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew and Ladell Betts. Maybe someone should make a thread about which backup running back you would take for a starter.

from this post alone I can tell you don't watch many Cowboys games or you dont pay attention. Barber is in on just as many pass plays as Julius. Also he is the 3rd down running back, because he is good at recieving and pass protection.

locseti
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Your crazy if you think Betts is better than Jacobs/Turner/MBIII..He's had a nice couple of games, but long-term, these other players are franchise guys. Greg Jones is such a hog, just wish he could play a full season. I like watching him dish out punishment.

Space Ghost
12-03-2006, 08:35 PM

Your crazy if you think Betts is better than Jacobs/Turner/MBIII..He's had a nice couple of games, but long-term, these other players are franchise guys. Greg Jones is such a hog, just wish he could play a full season. I like watching him dish out punishment.

I would prefer Betts and Jones both as backups, but I just really liked them in college and their limited success' in the NFL.

Hurricane Ditka
12-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Brandon Jacobs hands down. He will be the 2nd coming of The Bus.Except taller, faster and stronger.

Jughead10
12-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Jacob is my favorite player out of these three. But I would love to have any of these guys on The Raiders. They're all future stars and I dont know why Orange Julius starts over MBIII...

Jacobs showed some speed against Dallas today, took a little screen pass for like 35 yds.

MBIII is a helluva blocker too.

Jacobs might actually be the fastest of the three. Not sure about Turner but he is definately faster the MBIII.

portermvp84
12-04-2006, 08:53 AM
1. Turner
2. Barber
3. Jacobs

Yeah thats what I thought,

Turner down the road is going to be the best out of all three of them.

Barber right now is the best, awesome on short field postion.

Jacobs IMO could be the next Bus or better.

bigbluedefense
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
All 3 are kick ass. I wouldn't mind having any of the 3.

D-Unit
12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
If I'm the Giants, I'm offering Brandon Jacobs to San Diego in exchange for Michael Turner...and praying they take it. I think both sides would benefit from that. Turner is a better every down RB that could step in nicely for a departed Tiki. Jacobs could be that short yardage runner to ease the load on LT... and stop him from being such a damaging fantasy player. lol.

Number 10
12-04-2006, 02:09 PM
If I'm the Giants, I'm offering Brandon Jacobs to San Diego in exchange for Michael Turner...and praying they take it. I think both sides would benefit from that. Turner is a better every down RB that could step in nicely for a departed Tiki. Jacobs could be that short yardage runner to ease the load on LT... and stop him from being such a damaging fantasy player. lol.

No way, not straight up.

I'd ask for a day one pick on top of that at least. Jacobs is such a valuable asset to our offense. Best short yardage back in the NFL.

12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Check out these videos of Jacobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUsWASF06tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0K79UadKh4

DMWSackMachine
12-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Great thread, so far. Even though I'm a Cowboy fan, I voted for Jacobs. Barber is the better player right now, I think. He can do way more, and he seems to just get the job done, no matter what. But Jacobs is a unique physical specimen that might end up being something quite special. You just won't see many guys that size that can run and have the vision and agility to play the position.

He might never turn out to be more than just a short yardage type, or even a "thunder" that must be complimented by some sort of "lightning", but if he does develop, he has a chance to be an absolute terror in this league for a long time. That said, Barber can do more to help a team right now, while Turner may end up being the best of all when it is all said and done.

CDub
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I had to cast my vote for Jacobs. Dude is just a beast in the backfield. If I were I giants fan, I'd be looking for a backup to him this offseason.

Turner is a very good back with great speed. Even though he has good size, he does not run like a bruiser. He is more of a finesse runner.

Barber is a very well rounded back and may be the most pollished of the three, but I'm not sure of his ability to handle the full workload of a true #1 back as throughout his career, both at Minnesota and with Dallas, he has shared carries in a two back system. This is not necessarily a bad thing as he has excelled, but it makes me wonder if he could handle 25+ carries a game for an entire season.

Prior to this week I may have listed them Barber, Jacobs, Turner, but after seeing Jacobs catch well and show his speed, he has swayed my vote. I truely believe he can be a starter in this league much like what we used to have in Bettis. If you let him start the game and feed him a steady diet of carries in the first half, by the end of the third quarter people will be getting out of his way and trying to grab at his feet. Sure he runs a lttle high, and at 6'4" it's hard not to, and that may leave him open to more hits that may hurt other smaller backs, but when you consider the fact that he's as big or bigger than most of the people hitting him, it becomes less of an issue.

Pokeys
11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm betting alot of people would rather have Turner now?

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm betting alot of people would rather have Turner now?
Jesus Christ stop bringing back old threads

PACKmanN
11-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Turner>Barber+Jacobs, it is not even close.

terribletowel39
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I would rather Jacobs then Barber then Turner.

And don't be ridiculous PACKmanN, how is it not even close??

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
This is actually an interesting topic to bring back up. I'd take Marion in the right offense and then Jacobs because he's such a pounding back. I would only take Jacobs if I had a nice change of pace back. For some reason I'm not a huge fan of Turner although he is good. Tough question and the order will vary depending on who you ask.

bored of education
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
1. Jacobs
2. MB3
3. Turner

not based on this year only.

CC.SD
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Turner da Burner fo shurner. :D

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Barber is a far superior pass blocker and pass catcher to Jacobs. Jacobs though will have a much longer and productive career because he gets less carries. Guys like Barber and Portis though will be sitting in rocking chairs at age 45.

Basileus777
11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
1) Turner
2) Barber
3) Jacobs

Anyone can run behind the Giants' oline.

PACKmanN
11-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I would rather Jacobs then Barber then Turner.

And don't be ridiculous PACKmanN, how is it not even close??

Because Turner is beasting it with a rookie qb and the same o-line that was horrible a year ago, except for Baker. IMO, Turner opens up that offense for the passing game and allows Ryan to do what he does.

RaiderNation
11-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Jacobs, Turner, Barber

Bengalsrocket
11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Jacobs > Turner > Barber.

Jacobs wears down defenses more than any other back in the league. The amount of energy a man has to use to take down a guy of his size is ridiculous. And the fact that the giants use him so much in the first 3 quarters and then Bradshaw and Ward start doing well is a testament that.

terribletowel39
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Because Turner is beasting it with a rookie qb and the same o-line that was horrible a year ago, except for Baker. IMO, Turner opens up that offense for the passing game and allows Ryan to do what he does.
Yea but you can't say it isn't even close. Barber and Jacobs do things Turner can't even think about. I respect your opinion of Turner over them but you can't say it isn't close. That is disrespecting both Jacobs and Barber when Turner isn't THAT good, it is his first year.

Number 10
11-10-2008, 05:57 PM
You can't go wrong with any of them.

Barber is the most versatile, Turner is the best every down back, and Jacobs is the best power back. I think they're all on the same level.