PDA

View Full Version : Asante Samuel claims he won't show up until Week 10

amazingdonnie
06-05-2007, 05:25 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/06/04/asante_wont_be_at_minicamp/

I personally think that the pats will;
A) Sign him long term with a few options after 3 and 5 years.
B) Agree not to franchise him again and allow him to play for his tender the full season.

The pats don't have the firepower at CB to play the whole season without Asante (given the injuries always acquired there).

Caddy
06-05-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm sure he will show up eventually. The Patriots need Samuel, behind him there is very little to talk about. This issue will be resolved before the start of the season in my opinion.

BufFan71
06-05-2007, 07:13 AM
B) Agree not to franchise him again and allow him to play for his tender the full season

That might be a bad idea, the bills did that with clements.

Matthew Jones
06-05-2007, 07:16 AM
If this ends up happening (possible, but not very likely, in my opinion), the Patriots still have a pretty decent CB corps - Ellis Hobbs, Randall G ay, Tory James, and Bradon Meriweather. Not really any true #1s on there, but a bunch of solid #2s, and Hobbs has done a good job against #1 wide receivers in the past.

Caddy
06-05-2007, 07:40 AM
If this ends up happening (possible, but not very likely, in my opinion), the Patriots still have a pretty decent CB corps - Ellis Hobbs, Randall G ay, Tory James, and Bradon Meriweather. Not really any true #1s on there, but a bunch of solid #2s, and Hobbs has done a good job against #1 wide receivers in the past.

Still nothing to really write home about.

luckyjackaubrey
06-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Asante is a bit of a hothead and is more than likely listening to the wrong people, as today's athletes often do. This news was broken after yesterday's Patriots charity golf outing and both Bruschi and Harrison were talking about the sit and stating they hoped Asante realized the Pats ( BB and RK) were only making a business decision and not to take it personally. It sounds like he is doing just that.

I would expect this to end with either the above option of the pats agreeing to not franchise him again if he comes in to camp, or a sign and trade like they did with Tebucky Jones a few years back. THey need him this year if they are serious about being the #1 contender for the SB, but him at huge #'s longterm will not fit in their cap plans.

I hope he comes in and plays the year with a chiop on his shoulder and his 'fro on fire.

amazingdonnie
06-05-2007, 08:52 AM
The thing is here, training camp reports say Eugene Wilson is making the move to corner. Part of me says the pats have to resign this guy, but the other half speculates maybe Bellichick is grooming Wilson to start at corner with Hobbs, allowing Meriweather to start at Safety. This could lead to a Samuel trade in my mind, but the price no doubt would be high. They might ride this one into the preseason and wait for a team to succumb to Secondary injuries, or realize they have a big problem and grab a 1 and 3-5 for him. Either way I don't think this deters them as the team to beat right now, the pats have been winning for years now with secondary depth minimal.

ricky bobby
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
They'll probably rip a 1st round pick off somebody like they did last year with Branch. That would give them 3 first rounders next year?

TheMadLionsFan
06-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Disgruntled Patriots corner Samuel sits out minicamp
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 5, 2007, 10:34 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel says he won't show up for the team's mandatory minicamp, starting Tuesday. Or training camp this summer. Or the first 10 weeks of regular season games.

Samuel, disgruntled after being assigned the team's "franchise" tag, was a no-show at the Patriots Charitable Foundation golf tournament on Monday at the The International Golf Club in Bolton, Mass. Reached by phone afterwards, he told The Boston Globe he is unhappy with the lack of progress in contract talks with the team.

"I'm not coming to camp," he told the newspaper. "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."

The prospect of a star player avoiding camp over money is not new for the Patriots. Last offseason, wide receiver Deion Branch sat out camp over his unhappiness with contract talks and was eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

Samuel

Samuel has yet to sign the one-year, $7.79 million contract he was tendered when the Patriots franchised him, so he is technically not under contract and cannot be fined for missing minicamp. Under the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players union, if a deal isn't reached by the afternoon of July 15, he can sign only a one-year deal and cannot have his contract extended until the regular season ends.

If he shows up for Week 10, Samuel will receive a pro-rated portion of that $7.79 million salary. If he sits out the entire year, he'll get nothing -- and the Patriots will be able to put the franchise tag on him again for 2008.

"He's not coming to camp until a contract resolution can be reached," his agent, Alonzo Shavers, told the Boston Herald on Monday. "Nothing more can be said. His status has not changed. There has been no movement toward a deal."

Samuel is looking for a richer contract after a breakout 2006 season, in which he had 10 interceptions and 65 tackles and became considered one of the NFL's elite cornerbacks.

His teammates said Monday they are ready to move ahead, with or without Samuel.

"If he doesn't come [to minicamp], we have to move on," nose tackle Vince Wilfork told the Globe. "I would love to have him here, but on the same token, we have to move on."

"Asante has enough experience to realize that this is a business and it's not personal," added safety Rodney Harrison. "Coach [Bill] Belichick and Mr. [Robert] Kraft, they're going to do what is in the best interests of this team. .. At the same time, we do miss Asante. He's a good guy, a great player, and we miss having him back. Hopefully, in the near future, they can work things out and he'll be here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2893597

just give him the damn money

Addict
06-05-2007, 10:44 AM
just give him the damn money

or don't and force him to sit the rest of his career being angry about some stupid tag.

TheMadLionsFan
06-05-2007, 10:57 AM
or don't and force him to sit the rest of his career being angry about some stupid tag.

some stupid tag?.....would you risk the prime of your career on a one year contract?.....would you go out and play the most physical and dangerous sport with no security?.....In a league as cut-throat as the NFL no less....these arm chair QB types tickle my funny bone...

luckyjackaubrey
06-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Wilson to corner was tried last year in camp as well. He spent 75% of the time there and then played none (at corner that is), not even in nickel packages in the regular season. I don't think he is the desired option at that spot, though maybe a viable one if need be. Wilson is actually viewed as a dissapointment coming off the last 2 seasons and needs to return to the performance / results of his 1st few seasons to be in the mix to start anywhere for the Pats.

Geo
06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I hope so.

P-L
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Still nothing to really write home about.
The Patriots won a Super Bowl with Randall "Cool" and Troy Brown in their secondary. If we've learned one thing about the Pats over the years, they continue to win with "nothing to write home about" at certain positions.

ricky bobby
06-05-2007, 11:56 AM
The Patriots won a Super Bowl with Randall "Cool" and Troy Brown in their secondary. If we've learned one thing about the Pats over the years, they continue to win with "nothing to write home about" at certain positions.
Randle homosexual is a very underrated corner.

luckyjackaubrey
06-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Randle homosexual is a very underrated corner.

Who hasn't been healthy since he was being torched by Michael Lewis in the Superbowl. (Keep in mind I am a lifelong Pats fan). He hasn't been on the field for the past 2 seasons. Anything we get from him is gravy, and it won't be the performance of a gamechanging ball hawk like Samuel. Randall is a solid 3, risky 2. A good comparison is oldster "my man" Otis Smith. He will make some plays, support the run but lacks the quickness to not end up being burned for some hilight reel touchdowns.

Borat
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
The Pats are so saavy, here's what I think they'll do:

Promise not to franchise Samuel next year to get him to play the entire season for them. They'll use a 2nd rounder on Paul Oliver in the supp draft to replace Samuel if they can't sign him next year. They'll still have 2 1sts and 2 3rds so the 2nd can be used on Oliver with minimal loss.

Smooth Criminal
06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I doubt he'll sit out a single game. These things always seem to work themselves out.

islandboy843
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
They can always move Randy Moss to CB.

amazingdonnie
06-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Wouldn't that be a sight. Randy Moss the rejuvenated star corner of the New England Patriots. They definitely have the WR depth to do so lol.

nvot9
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
If only the didn't Franchise him. But hey, good for the Jets I guess...

Xonraider
06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Just play. I'd play any position and work 10 times harder to earn half the salary these guys get.

Smooth Criminal
06-06-2007, 05:51 AM
I wouldn't want to play either if I was Asante. He earned a big moneym deal last season. So now he has to go out there and play again and risk getting hurt of simply playing worse and losing alot of money. He has no job security with this deal. In the NFL you never know what will happen.

Caddy
06-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Randall started during 1 Superbowl with Brown never getting the start. In previous superbowls the Pats still had the likes of Poole, Law and Samuel in the backfield to go along with the likes of McGinest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Seymour, Harrison, Wilson etc.

Addict
06-06-2007, 06:54 AM
some stupid tag?.....would you risk the prime of your career on a one year contract?.....would you go out and play the most physical and dangerous sport with no security?.....In a league as cut-throat as the NFL no less....these arm chair QB types tickle my funny bone...

you have no funny bone. If you did, you'd realize I made a joke. I'd say more but I refuse to take a 'personal attack' infraction for stating my exact feelings about you. And if I were you I'd start using some normal interpunction, this period-overkill just isn't working for you

portermvp84
06-07-2007, 12:12 AM

They could do that or throw Troy Brown back there like they did a couple of seasons ago. If they still have him...

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-07-2007, 12:20 AM
They could do that or throw Troy Brown back there like they did a couple of seasons ago. If they still have him...

Lol are you joking?

Splat
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_ylt=Anyi_cmDlgrk_a48sYEsiWTsYNAF

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, "several teams" have expressed a willingness to meet Asante Samuel (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6456/)'s asking price, which is a contract in the neighborhood of the eight-year, $80 million deal free agent Nate Clements (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5468/) signed with the San Francisco 49ers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sfo/).

The Patriots offered a one-year, $7.79 million franchise tender that Samuel has yet to sign.

The source said the New York Jets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyj/) inquired about Samuel, but declined to acknowledge their interest or disclose if it was affected by the NFL draft-day trade that netted Pitt corner Darrelle Revis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8268/) in the first round.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I can rest happy knowing the Skins have no interest or need in him.

bearsfan_51
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I actually think Samuel has more leverage than Briggs. I don't either player has much, but his man-to-man coverage skills are a lot harder to replace than playing WLB in a cover 2 scheme, and generally garners a much higher price tag. I was wondering when he was going to go public, as he has a bigger complaint than Briggs does in all honesty.

HoopsDemon12
06-07-2007, 03:41 PM
that would be completly stupid in my mind... just play take the god dam 7 mill... that your getting to PLAY a game that you LOVE...

then i dont know get a contract next season maybe, 7 mill is a lot of money and isnt the franchise tag amount like something to do with the highset paid player at that position for a year or something? so he is gettinga whole hell of a lot of money.. come on man you have a chance for another title... take it most guys dont get that chance

remix 6
06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
see..if Asante can play like he did last year..no doubt he deserves what he wants. he was lights out

but..he only started at left CB ahead of Hobbs for little more than half the season. Hobbs took over as #1 CB but got hurt and went to #2

so Asante
-maybe 9 games of great play at CB..before that he wasnt much. he needs to prove more

amazingdonnie
06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
To me, this is looking more and more like a trade situation. The veterans don't seem to attached to Samuel ala Branch last year. The guy has a "Get Paid" tatoo, and seems to want a lot of cash. The Patriots shouldn't pay him HUGE money in my opinion, something reasonable, yes, but not a huge deal. Samuel had 1 great year, if he declines next year, it would be a bad move. I say, grab two firsts from some team desperate for a guy like Samuel, take the lumps and build off it. Two firsts for Samuel would be a great move for the Pats.

luckyjackaubrey
06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
He is a late round pick who has ONE season that warrants all the hype and talk of "being paid" . I consider the franchise tag and the $7 plus million a pretty fair pay day for such a guy. If he delivers the goods again, then he can talk multi year big bucks. I am curious(sp) if any one knows after what year did Brady get his payday ? after SB #1 or later...

TheMadLionsFan
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
that would be completly stupid in my mind... just play take the god dam 7 mill... that your getting to PLAY a game that you LOVE...

then i dont know get a contract next season maybe,

yeah next season MAYBE is he doesn't get injured playing for a one year contract with no security...the NFL is a business...and you have to protect your interest.....and it is easy for you to say....because you have never seen that much money in your life so you can loo at the situation from your couch and talk like a civilian....forget that.....go get your money is what I say....because the moment he starts to decline he is gonna get cut.....milk the most ruthless league by far out of the major sports for as much as you can I say

TheMadLionsFan
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
To me, this is looking more and more like a trade situation. The veterans don't seem to attached to Samuel ala Branch last year. The guy has a "Get Paid" tatoo, and seems to want a lot of cash. The Patriots shouldn't pay him HUGE money in my opinion, something reasonable, yes, but not a huge deal. Samuel had 1 great year, if he declines next year, it would be a bad move. I say, grab two firsts from some team desperate for a guy like Samuel, take the lumps and build off it. Two firsts for Samuel would be a great move for the Pats.

no franchise in their right mind will give up two first round picks...and if you think otherwise...you are high....a cpu Madden franchise wouldn't even accept that deal...

amazingdonnie
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
no franchise in their right mind will give up two first round picks...and if you think otherwise...you are high....a cpu Madden franchise wouldn't even accept that deal...

Don't be so sure, coaches have been swapped for multiple picks, If I remember right, the Bucs gave up 2 for Gruden, and the Giants gave up a ton for mediocre Eli. Some franchise would be willing to do that, if they believed it could get them to the superbowl. I agree no franchise SHOULD do it, but some would.

TheMadLionsFan
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Don't be so sure, coaches have been swapped for multiple picks, If I remember right, the Bucs gave up 2 for Gruden, and the Giants gave up a ton for mediocre Eli. Some franchise would be willing to do that, if they believed it could get them to the superbowl. I agree no franchise SHOULD do it, but some would.

One deal was for a Super Bowl winning coach...and the other was for a potential franchise QB...no franchise is giving up two first round picks for a DB....I would bet the house on it.....

amazingdonnie
06-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Nowadays where elite cover corners are so valued, I wouldn't be suprised. Gruden in my mind was hardly worth the picks, he took over a very good Dungy team, and brought it downhill from there. Don't be suprised to see a team chuck 2 1sts, or a 1st and a 2nd. To me, a deal getting done seems remote, unless it greatly favors the Pats through incentives, or options.

luckyjackaubrey
06-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Samuel would not bring multiple high draft picks. He doesn't have that kind of impact. The only corner who would warrant that would be Denver's Bailey, and I don't think I would do it for him (Bailey) now b/c he won't be contributing that kind of impact for that many more years.

You need to look at the whole picture in these situations as it is often a combo of factors that lead to a guy looking or peforming this well.

+ He plays for a team loaded at d-line that is pressuring the qb fairly well and
shutting down the run.
+ He plays for a team that is upper echelon, often in the lead.
+ He plays for a coach that is about as good as it gets at confusing QB's
with different looks / coverages

All of this helps Samuel put up such a season. His team is going to be winning, teams are forced to throw, he is a ballhawk by nature and he played to his strenghts.

If he gets traded to the Cardinals (just a random choice) for a one and a four is he gonna put up those numbers ? I don't think so. He isn't a shut down corner you are , as an o- coordinator, going to stay away from his side of the field. On the contrary, teams did throw at Samuel and he , to his credit , performed.

He is looking to get paid off his last year and it should be more correctly off the entire body of work he has put up. I remember him being smoked in the Denver divisional game 2 years ago for a TD. He is due a raise, the one year deal via franchise tag is over market IMO, if he wants a long term deal with $$ guaranteed, I think he needs to take a little less and stay put. He is a good player in a VERY GOOD situation in NE and I strongly believe he would not experience the success he has to this point in to many other situations.

DeathbyStat
06-08-2007, 09:55 AM
I really hope he doesn't maybe a chink in the pats armor.

But it won't matter they with still win the super bowl.

bearsfan_51
06-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't see why everyone is acting like the Pats already won something? Have you all learned nothing from the countless examples of preseason champs that fall flat on their face? You don't even have to look back that far, as the Panthers of last year are a perfect example.

Addict
06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't see why everyone is acting like the Pats already won something? Have you all learned nothing from the countless examples of preseason champs that fall flat on their face? You don't even have to look back that far, as the Panthers of last year are a perfect example.

they're the Patriots, plus they've improved, we're just looking forward and the pats winning it as of now a likely scenario.

bearsfan_51
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
they're the Patriots, plus they've improved, we're just looking forward and the pats winning it as of now a likely scenario.
No it's not.

A likely scenario is over 50%. If you gave me the field of 31 other teams versus the Pats I would take any offer you wanted to lay on the table.

This is what I'm talking about. They haven't won anything yet. They added a potential washed up player and a pass rusher. Both could work out. Both could not. Right now they are nothing more than the offseason champions, and usually that doesn't turn out to be a good thing.

luckyjackaubrey
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
The only post in the thread that mentions the Patriots chances of winning the Superbowl is the one that immediatelly precedes yours. The topic is Asante Samuel's contract situation.

Borat
06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
The Patriots ARE the favorites to win the Super Bowl. I don't think there is much question about that.

Addict
06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
No it's not.

A likely scenario is over 50%. If you gave me the field of 31 other teams versus the Pats I would take any offer you wanted to lay on the table.

This is what I'm talking about. They haven't won anything yet. They added a potential washed up player and a pass rusher. Both could work out. Both could not. Right now they are nothing more than the offseason champions, and usually that doesn't turn out to be a good thing.

Your definition of likely is way off. Let's break this down in slomo

32 teams -> one trophy. So in a perfectly honest world, every team would have about 3.13% chance to win, agreed?

Now let's say half the teams in the league don't have the stuff to win it in the first place, barring a miracle of course. So that's still 16 teams, or 6.25% chance.

Now let's say we break it down one more step, logically so this is barring major change and all that. Let's say 8 teams are still contending at this point. chances of winning it all are 12.5 percent, seems fair right?

So your definition of likely flies... in a two team league. Now even if we narrow it down a whole lot, it still comes down to the fact wether the chance the pats win it all are larger than 12.5 percent AT MOST. If you wish to put everybody in as a contender, the percentage drops to 3.13.

So depending on your definition of a 'contender', as long as the pats' chance of winning the superbowl is larger than 3.13% or 12.5%, I can call it a likely situation. And let me assure you, I feel their chances exceed 12.5 percent. Class excused.

bearsfan_51
06-08-2007, 07:41 PM
You need to find yourself a dictionary.

If someone says they are likely to do something it means there is a greater chance that it will happen than not. On an injury report if a player is listed as probable (which, by definition, is more or less the same thing as likely), it means there is a greater than 50% chance of them doing it (in this case around 75%).

And nobody holds class on the professor.8)

remix 6
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Brady signed a 6 year $60 mill contract in '05 ..

Samuel wants similar deal to Clements which turns out to be close to 10 mill per year like Brady on average. Thats ridiculous..hes nowhere near what Brady's worth and hes done it for 1 year..less actually. He shines in playoffs in past but only 1 really good season(less than a full season actually)

bearsfan_51
06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Brady is worth way more than 6 for 60 million. Especially with the new CBA. You're comparing apples and oranges.

amazingdonnie
06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Brady is worth way more than 6 for 60 million. Especially with the new CBA. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Not really, he's simply stating how the Pats evaluate worth in players. They aren't going to pay anyone more than Brady, no way.