PDA

View Full Version : Allen or Johnson?

Splat
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
This is a really good read on Allen and Johnson both wanting long term deals and if we can keep both or only one and if you had to pick one who would you pick?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10213436

BPhilb
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
This is a really good read on Allen and Johnson both wanting long term deals and if we can keep both or only one and if you had to pick one who would you pick?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10213436

I would take Allen for the simple reason that it is much harder to find a good pass rusher than it is a good running back. I love Johnson and believe that he is one of the best backs in the game, but he's closing in on 30 and will probably decline quickly when he gets older. I hate to tie up future cap room on a guy that may or may not be able to play at a high level for us. Not really a wrong answer to this question though.

T-RICH49
06-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I'd take Johnson.Elite RB's are a rare thing to find and Allen is one happy hour away from a year suspension.go with the franchise RB

Hermstheman83
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Yea, I'd say Johnson, he's the cornerstone of our entire offense, and JA is a problem(Although I love the guy to death). Also, we have invested a second round pick in McBride...

Hermstheman83
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Isn't this kind of ironic? Two stud players that we have drafted...it turns out that you almost have to have a mediocore draft just to get by in the NFL...ironic...

Splat
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
If it was not for his off the field trouble I would take Allen but with his off the field trouble it makes the question that much harder.

BPhilb
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Yea, I'd say Johnson, he's the cornerstone of our entire offense, and JA is a problem(Although I love the guy to death). Also, we have invested a second round pick in McBride...

I still fell that Turk was drafted to be a DT. The cover 2 is designed for underdiszed tackles and I think ultimatley that is where he will end up in our system.

Splat
06-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Turk was my least favorite draft pick we took him to early and we should have went OL with that pick IMO.

Hermstheman83
06-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I still fell that Turk was drafted to be a DT. The cover 2 is designed for underdiszed tackles and I think ultimatley that is where he will end up in our system.

I think we drafted him primarily on his versatility. I think with McBride, I think what position he gets put at initiall depends on the situation with Jared Allen. If we decide to keep JA(which I hope we do), then Mcbride goes to DT, a place where he said he felt he was better at....It does kind of worry me that no one was raving about him throughout training camp. It is early and that makes me wonder What were people saying about Tamba Hali last year around this time? I also don't think our offensive line is as bad as everyone makes it out to be., this might explain why we didn't draft a tackle until the 6th round(that and CP has an eye for lineman later on in the days). Here's the way I look at that: Welbourn is going back to his natural spot at Guard, Waters is a pro-bowler, Weigmann(who is one of the better centers), Chris Terry at Right Tackle who should definately shore that up. I think the wild-card is our newly acquired LT McinTosh. Anything can be better than I-65. That being said, those guys are pretty old and probably should've drafted some line help. But of all the draft picks, I'm not sure about Herb Taylor, it seems he's athletic enough to be a good LT, but he is a pretty small guy....
In conclusion.... I don't think the O-line is as in shatters as the D-line was/is. If we get a push in the middle we are a top ten defense,and if we went OL we probably still would've been middle of the pack in terms of offense.... and that's why I think we went Defense for 2/3'rds of the first day.

Splat
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Weigmann was a good center under the DV/AS system but he is not that great in the power running game that Herm runs he gets run over by bigger DT's and teams that run the 3-4. If I remember right a center had not been drafted yet in round two when we were on the clock I would have taking one of the top centers over Turk.

BPhilb
06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Isn't this kind of ironic? Two stud players that we have drafted...it turns out that you almost have to have a mediocore draft just to get by in the NFL...ironic...

Sort of. The good teams like Philly and New England seem to get there good young guys locked up before they hit free agency. Peterson waits until the last minute and is forced to pay higher salaries. This probably should have been avoided a couple of years ago when these guys had just come off of two straight good showings.

bored of education
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
trade both for two second or third rounders next year. Smith, Ross, Bennett and Stewart would be solid. Christ they both are pricks i think. But ill stop posting. LJ has 2 years left of 1300+ yards