PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green to Dolphins for 5th round pick that could escalate to a 4th round pick

kmartin575
06-05-2007, 06:19 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6890434?MSNHPHMA

Space Ghost
06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
aw shucks, 2 more losses for the Bills ;)

Shiver
06-05-2007, 06:24 PM
This took to long. Miami would've been better off getting him in as quickly as possible, as of the draft. He will be a good bridge to John Beck, though.

T-RICH49
06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
alright we might get a 4th for him.a great deal by Carl and Miami

Paranoidmoonduck
06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Nice to see the deal finally got made, but I never really got what kind of leverage the Chiefs thought they had. They had already made it clear Green had little place in their quarterback corps.

Either way, they struck me as overly picky as to the compensation for trading away Green, but at least it's over now.

Geo
06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Does this mean we won't get to see a heaping pile of awkwardness in front of HBO cameras? Shucks.

draftguru151
06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Adios Daunte.

I'm still very lukewarm on this. I don't see the point of bringing him in for a year and giving up potentially a 4th rounder. All this likely does is puts us from 4-12 to 6-10.

WMD
06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Finally. bukkake

kmartin575
06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Nice to see the deal finally got made, but I never really got what kind of leverage the Chiefs thought they had. They had already made it clear Green had little place in their quarterback corps.

Either way, they struck me as overly picky as to the compensation for trading away Green, but at least it's over now.

Well once June 1st came and Green was still on the roster we really had no incentive to hurry this deal. Whether we traded/cut him now or the week before the season he was still going to count the same amount against the cap. If Miami really wanted him to be their starting QB this year they needed him in there before training camp so he can get the work in with the offense.

The leverage the Chiefs had was that they didn't have to move him anytime soon but everybody knew the Dolphins wanted him as their starter.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Well once June 1st came and Green was still on the roster we really had no incentive to hurry this deal. Whether we traded/cut him now or the week before the season he was still going to count the same amount against the cap. If Miami really wanted him to be their starting QB this year they needed him in there before training camp so he can get the work in with the offense.

The leverage the Chiefs had was that they didn't have to move him anytime soon but everybody knew the Dolphins wanted him as their starter.

But it seems like quite a dick move to say, "Yeah, we could deal you and let you get used to playing with your new team. But we won't." And that seemed to be the case for the last few months.

MasterShake
06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
But it seems like quite a dick move to say, "Yeah, we could deal you and let you get used to playing with your new team. But we won't." And that seemed to be the case for the last few months.

Its also a dick move to say "Well he is worth a 4th rounder, but he wants to come to Miami so you are screwed haha! Here is your 6th!"

GiantRutgersFan
06-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Adios Daunte.

I'm still very lukewarm on this. I don't see the point of bringing him in for a year and giving up potentially a 4th rounder. All this likely does is puts us from 4-12 to 6-10.

Because you play to win the game.

They might be able to sneak in as a wildcard. you never know in the NFL. He could definitly play 2 more years as well.

What do you think Culpepper is gonna do now? retirement possibly? Falcons? Raiders for a year?

Vikes99ej
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who got the better end of the Daunte/Ryan Cook trade. :)

Scotty D
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
So where is Daunte going?

Paranoidmoonduck
06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Its also a dick move to say "Well he is worth a 4th rounder, but he wants to come to Miami so you are screwed haha! Here is your 6th!"

Um, how so? Green is a vet who maybe has a few years left of real value coming off an injury plagued and statistically poor year from a team that he represents no actual value to.

How does that make his value a 4th rounder, and why are the Dolphins dicks for asking for less?

BlindSite
06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Adios Daunte.

Yes but if Beck picks up a few things he'd be well worth the fourth rounder.

Splat
06-05-2007, 07:15 PM
It is a about dang time I will miss Green but it was time for a change I'm happy with a 5th a 4th will be even better if it goes down like that but I'm happy with a 5th. The Chiefs all ready have three extra second day draft picks for the 08 draft one for Green one for Sims and one for Lawrence Tynes (kicker) nice work.

T-RICH49
06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
It is a about dang time I will miss Green but it was time for a change I'm happy with a 5th a 4th will be even better if it goes down like that but I'm happy with a 5th. The Chiefs all ready have three extra second day draft picks for the 08 draft one for Green one for Sims and one for Lawrence Tynes (kicker) nice work.

yeah that is good news

Basileus777
06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Um, how so? Green is a vet who maybe has a few years left of real value coming off an injury plagued and statistically poor year from a team that he represents no actual value to.

How does that make his value a 4th rounder, and why are the Dolphins dicks for asking for less?

Considering Carl Peterson got pretty much what he wanted for Green, I don't think you can claim that he over-valued him. He was worth more than a 6th rounder, Peterson called Miami's bluff and got a conditional 4th instead. Its not being overly picky to get the maximum value for a player.

eazyb81
06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
.....and the win goes to Carl Peterson.

jkpigskin
06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
this could work out well for the dolphins....
having a QB not named beck starting this year is very fortunate and probably willl prevent them from a top 3 pick....

Scotty D
06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Last year
Joey Harrington 6th that could become a 5th.

This year
Trent Green 5th into a 4th

Next year
Rex Grossman 4th into a 3rd

zoinks
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
A bit of irony....

This whole Trent Green situation was eerily similar to last year's situation with Steve McNair and the Titans....other than the whole McNair lockout debacle, it was almost like the same story, only with different names.

With so many other similarities, it's only fitting (and rather ironic) that the Trent Green trade went down almost exactly one year after the McNair deal....only a couple days short.

princefielder28
06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I like the move by the Chiefs. Trent Green manages a game well but they're paying huard enough money and he played well enough last year to earn the job. They could get a 4th round pick next year and in 2008 that player could make a difference when Trent Green may not.

LarryJohnson27
06-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Thank god this is finally over! Croyle will be the starter next season IMO. From everything I've read Huard is going to have to have one heck of a training camp to win the job.

BufFan71
06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
ahah two more losses for the bills?
yeah right....
a pass rushing D-line against Mr.Immobility

Basileus777
06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Its a 4th if Green plays 70 percent of the offensive snaps, so there is a good chance the conditions will bet met.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2894631

Grizzlegom
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
im very disappointed in mueller for giving in and offering the higher pick but i guess this means the end of daunte so i cant really complain much.

TitleTown088
06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I had to.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp5IP76PeY

Flyboy
06-05-2007, 11:41 PM
If only the Dolphins would have went with Drew Brees... thank you MIAMI!!

adschofield
06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
It's Brodie Croyle time!!!!

Sveen
06-06-2007, 03:24 AM
Finally. I'm wondering where Daunte is going now...?

eacantdraft
06-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Miami blinked first. Still think Miami will have a top 5 draft pick next year. Miami is just not a very good team playing in a tough division.

I'm not impressed with Beck either and 2nd round QB's have a tremendous failure rate.

Splat
06-06-2007, 08:01 AM
To me it was a good move by both teams fair on both ends.

bsaza2358
06-06-2007, 09:37 AM
The thing about Beck in this scenario is that for the Dolphins to get legit value out of that pick, he has to be starting by 2008 at the least. Is it really worth trading for Trent Green and giving him an extension (also moving Culpepper in the process), when you really have to get this rookie QB into your lineup quickly? I would say no.

AlexDown
06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Do you think anyone is going to make the trade for Culpepper?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2894921

Addict
06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Thank god this is finally over! Croyle will be the starter next season IMO. From everything I've read Huard is going to have to have one heck of a training camp to win the job.

And from what I've read Huard will be starting again after game 3 when Croyle's knees give in.

jkpigskin
06-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Finally. I'm wondering where Daunte is going now...?

to the doctors office and never coming out
i seriously think his career might be over... though the injury isnt career threatening, i dont see him being the same

DeathbyStat
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
It's Brodie Croyle time!!!!

Whats so great about Croyle.

Could Culpepper end up with the rams? he had his best season under scott lenahan in minnesota

bsaza2358
06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Do you think anyone is going to make the trade for Culpepper?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2894921

What team could really use a star QB who is still only about 30, used to have a big time arm, but got by on his athleticism? Culpepper has a lot of past results, and the team has to be okay with taking risks on guys for the right price. Possible destinations include: Houston, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Green Bay, Baltimore, Carolina, and Chicago. Thinking about the rest of the league, I can't say for sure that other don't see many teams chomping at the bit to get him in a trade, especially with his contract. I foresee teams trying to sign him once he's released by Miami. I don't think any team will want him so badly that they will trade a draft pick for him.

Splat
06-06-2007, 01:02 PM

That is what we plan on finding out.

Iamcanadian
06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
The thing about Beck in this scenario is that for the Dolphins to get legit value out of that pick, he has to be starting by 2008 at the least. Is it really worth trading for Trent Green and giving him an extension (also moving Culpepper in the process), when you really have to get this rookie QB into your lineup quickly? I would say no.

That's easy to say but GM's and HC's get fired when their team stinks up the league. There was no way either of these guys wants the owner breathing down their necks when he's looking out at empty seats because Miami stinks. A GM and HC are also paid to keep a stadium filled and the money pouring in. Sports fans rarely understand the real picture in running a team especially the financial side of the equation.
Fans are renewing their season tickets this time of the year and Miami could be looking at hundreds of millions of dollars in losses with Lemon or Beck as their starting QB. Signing Green will allieviate that for know even if it turns out he isn't the player he used to be, then by next year Beck may be ready after starting the last few games of the coming season. Fans live on hope and you had better offer them some or the owner's pocketbook will be awfully light for the coming season. A 4th or 5th round pick is cheap if it enables you to keep your job and provides Miami fans with some hope for next season.

kmartin575
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM

Could Culpepper end up with the rams? he had his best season under scott lenahan in minnesota

He has a cannon for an arm, he is accurate, he has a quick release, he has good mechanics, and he is a leader.

The only thing not great about him is his ability to stay healthy.

Hopefully that will change.

bored of education
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Culpepper=Lions!!!!