PDA

View Full Version : You know what sucks about the NFL

BlindSite
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, really about all professional sport, is how guarded the entire industry is on things the public already knows.

If you catch my drift. I hate how teams will say something like "This player was released because they no longer figure into our long term plans" when everyone knows the reason was because of [insert issue here].

Does this get to anyone else?

or am I certifiable?

Splat
06-06-2007, 08:54 AM
"This player was released because they no longer figure into our long term plans"

Which in most cases means we didn't want to pay him the crazy money he was going to be making this year.

Splat
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
well they can't very well come out and say "we released a fan favorite because we're cheap bastards"

True but it would be funny if they did.

Addict
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
well they can't very well come out and say "we released a fan favorite because we're cheap bastards"

'We released a fan favourite because we don't want to gameplan around him anymore' doesn't sound much better.

Addict
06-06-2007, 09:36 AM
at least you can pass it off as "he's old and his skills are declining". as much as everyone here loves rod smith, no one would argue with that statement.

Eric Moulds made off pretty well after he got released by the Bills, he got a fat paycheck from the texans and what did he do? Squat.

Acreboy
06-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Does this get to anyone else?Not really. I mean if I know the real reason why they got released I don't care. Now if it happens for no reason (that anyone knows of) then yeah I understand.

BX
06-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Re: Quincy Carter.

Moses
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
We've decided to release Player X because he's old now and isn't worth even close to the salary he's demanding. Plus, he's a constant headache and we regret ever bringing him onto this team.

Iamcanadian
06-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Teams today in the FA era backload contracts with most of the money they claim to be paying him just for the publicity. They know when they sign these guys that they will never see more than 2 years of the money mentioned. That is just how FA works today. Many, many cuts are cap casulties but the team simply doesn't want any bad publicity, so they use lame excuses to explain the cuts. Unless a player restructures his contract in its 3rd year after signing a lucrative contract, his chances of not being cut is practically nil unless he is the QB, LT, DE or CB on most teams.

TheChampIsHere
06-06-2007, 01:51 PM
to insult the player and criticize him in your statement as you cut him is completely unnecessary, theres no reasons teams shouldnt be proffesional about it.

Addict
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
To insult the player and criticize him in a statement as you cut him is completely unnecessary, there's no reason for teams not to be professional about it.

You're right. I fixed your typos too.

yourfavestoner
06-06-2007, 02:45 PM
If you really listen...you'll notice that nobody in the NFL really says anything. It's just the same generic stuff that gets repeated over and over.

Flyboy
06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
at least you can pass it off as "he's old and his skills are declining". as much as everyone here loves rod smith, no one would argue with that statement.

The exact same can be said about Joe Horn.

BlindSite
06-06-2007, 06:46 PM
to insult the player and criticize him in your statement as you cut him is completely unnecessary, theres no reasons teams shouldnt be proffesional about it.

Yes but then again, there's other things they can say. I wasn't just referring to that statement, it was just an example of the ones the league head offices use.

TheChampIsHere
06-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Yes but then again, there's other things they can say. I wasn't just referring to that statement, it was just an example of the ones the league head offices use.

regardless, the team is being profesional about it and thats the right thing to do. If the player wants to have all that information out there theres plenty of media outlets he can go to.