PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News: NFC Safties

Crazy_Chris
06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=218532

1. Cardinals. Adrian Wilson is one of the most versatile players in the league; he can cover slot receivers and play back in coverage or near the line of scrimmage. Terrence Holt should be adept at directing coverage from the free safety spot.

2. Cowboys. The team insists it will play Roy Williams close to the line of scrimmage to let him be a playmaker without having so many coverage responsibilities. In turn, Ken Hamlin will make sure everyone gets lined up properly.

3. Vikings. Darren Sharper still is one of the NFL's smartest players and takes chances to make big plays. Dwight Smith plays with emotion and hits hard but must work on his tackling technique.

4. Eagles. Brian Dawkins still plays at an elite level. Sean Considine has put on weight in order to get better near the line of scrimmage.

5. Redskins. Sean Taylor has elite speed and delivers massive hits but gambles too much. Rookie LaRon Landry also is a big hitter but will take time to adjust.

6. 49ers. Michael Lewis is a bruising presence. He can be vulnerable in coverage, but that is the strength of Mark Roman, who consistently hassles receivers.

7. Bears. If Mike Brown stays healthy, this unit will be strong. Neither he nor Adam Archuleta excels in coverage, but Brown has good instincts and plays the ball well.

8. Falcons. Lawyer Milloy, 33, can still pack a wallop and is strong in run support. Jimmy Williams and Chris Crocker, both of whom struggle in coverage, will compete at free safety.

9. Seahawks. Free-agent acquisitions Deon Grant and Brian Russell, both of whom showed good communication and cover skills in minicamp, likely will start. Michael Boulware and Mike Green provide solid depth.

10. Rams. Corey Chavous, 31, remains a capable performer on the field and a valuable leader off it. O.J. Atogwe looked lost early last season but has playmaking skills that give him a big upside.

11. Saints. Kevin Kaesviharn will make an instant impact as a coach-on-the-field type. With Roman Harper returning from a torn ACL, Josh Bullocks must improve to keep his starting job.

12. Giants. Gibril Wilson has plenty of speed and hits hard but often looks tentative. The same goes for Will Demps, who was slowed by a knee injury last season.

13. Packers. Nick Collins is versatile but has to take better angles and anticipate plays better. Marquand Manuel needs to be replaced by a younger player such as Marviel Underwood or Aaron Rouse.

14. Lions. Kenoy Kennedy and Daniel Bullocks are decent in run support but give up big plays. Rookie Gerald Alexander could get some playing time if he exhibits better ball skills on deep routes.

15. Bucs. Jermaine Phillips has not made anyone forget about John Lynch, and Will Allen has proved only that his insertion into the starting lineup may have been premature.

16. Panthers. The team needs an upgrade because Nate Salley has no significant experience and limited upside and Mike Minter has lost a step and is headed into the final season of his career.

Moses
06-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Interesting that the Cowboys are rated as highly as they are.

NFC safety situation seems a lot worse than the one in the AFC.

TitleTown088
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
The Queens at Three? Did i see that right? Oh wait, I must be mistaken their safety play was one the reasons for their stellar pass defense last year.

Jensen
06-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Wow, something we're actually near the top in other than WR.

Crazy_Chris
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
The Queens at Three? Did i see that right? Oh wait, I must be mistaken their safety play was one the reasons for their stellar pass defense last year.

Actually the complete lack of any kind of pass rush was the reason for the pass defense not to mention teams threw 40-60 times a game on us down the stretch. Dwight smith played very well, and darren sharper didn't have a stellar year but he is still a top safety in this league. actually 3 is pretty low considering if mike doss and tank willliams are healthy we will have the most/best depth at Safety in the NFC. But NFC isn't really great with safeties as shown the top 5 are pretty subjective i think you could make a case for a few of thoose teams to be #1

papa burgundy
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
NFC safety situation seems a lot worse than the one in the AFC.

Yeah.. You could literally take 6-15 and put them in any order and it'd seem just as right. Same thing for the NFC linebackers..

Shiver
06-06-2007, 07:13 PM
The NFC has terrible safeties.

BlindSite
06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
They're a bit harsh on Jimmy Williams.

scottyboy
06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
ugghh Will Demps brings Gibril down so much...

the NFC does have better DE's than the AFC though

Sniper
06-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Wow that is a joke. The Cowboys safeties are not that good. Roy Williams is essentially a linebacker who can;t cover anyone and Hamlin is ok to pretty good. That's atrocious

WMD
06-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Terrence Holt is half of the #1 Duo? I don't buy that at all..

skinzzfan25
06-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I'd have the Eagles, Redskins and then Cards as my top 3.

And the Bears higher, pending Brown is healthy and AA isn't playing.

princefielder28
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Packers would be higher if they had anyone next to Collins that can play

Moses
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Packers would be higher if they had anyone next to Collins that can play

I'm hoping for Underwood or Rouse next year. If Rouse can cover, he'd be an awesome fit.

Beans
06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Sabby Piscatelli will make that rank rise.

neko4
06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm hoping for Underwood or Rouse next year. If Rouse can cover, he'd be an awesome fit.

I really dont care who it is. If Manuel happens to step up and play then him, but im rooting for Rouse cuz hes a hometown guy though

BlindSite
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
ugghh Will Demps brings Gibril down so much...

the NFC does have better DE's than the AFC though

Better DEs and better wide receivers imo.

Gibril is probably a top 5 safety at the moment imo, very underrated.

Flyboy
06-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Gibril Wilson really hasn't been that special since his rookie year. I was a huge follower of him then and he got hit with injuries and seem to fall off the map.

The homer in me says that if he's healthy all season then Roman Harper will be a very good safety in the NFC. He reminds me of Whitner in Buffalo.

scottyboy
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
i love Gibril. last year, it always looked like he got burnt, when in reality, he was only in the play recovering for his team-mate who got burned. HUGE supporter of him, but he needs to improve his tackling.

YAYareaRB
06-06-2007, 09:05 PM
You guys make Micheal MAAAD! Micheal no like to be mad!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/lewis_michael051114_getty.jpg

Ewing
06-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I'd put the Eagles as number one just based off of Brian Dawkins. You can put Lamont Thompson beside him and it'll still be one of the top five safety duos in the NFC because of Dawkins.

Sniper
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I'd put the Eagles as number one just based off of Brian Dawkins. You can put Lamont Thompson beside him and it'll still be one of the top five safety duos in the NFC because of Dawkins.

You're a good man. Dawkins is nasty.

Vikes99ej
06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Wow. The Vikings are way too high.

GB12
06-06-2007, 11:38 PM
6. 49ers. Michael Lewis is a bruising presence. He can be vulnerable in coverage, but that is the strength of Mark Roman, who consistently hassles receivers.

http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/hysterical.gif

TitleTown088
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Actually the complete lack of any kind of pass rush was the reason for the pass defense not to mention teams threw 40-60 times a game on us down the stretch. Dwight smith played very well, and darren sharper didn't have a stellar year but he is still a top safety in this league. actually 3 is pretty low considering if mike doss and tank willliams are healthy we will have the most/best depth at Safety in the NFC. But NFC isn't really great with safeties as shown the top 5 are pretty subjective i think you could make a case for a few of thoose teams to be #1 Well, obviously the lack of pass rush had something to do with it, but the Vikings safties are far from impressive and if they are #3 it shows you how bad the safety situation is in the NFC. The Vikings defense knew the game plan against them would be to pass all day and they still could not stop it one bit. Do you really think the safies had nothing to do with that?
You can have all the depth in the word at a position , but if none of the players that provide that depth are very good it doesn't help out too much.

Caddy
06-07-2007, 02:43 AM
15th.. Ouch.. Although I can't really say I disagree. Hopefully Sabby Piscitelli and Tanard Jackson can help improve those rankings in the future.

Acreboy
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I think the Saints should be higher TBH. KK/Harper will be very good. At least #8.

Pretty good list though.

rchrd
06-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow. The Vikings are way too high.

Agreed. Having a bunch of okay safeties shouldnt put us near the top in any list.

Vikes99ej
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't know how our safeties can be 3rd in the NFC when we considered using our #7 pick on Landry.

jkpigskin
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
wow, the nfc tandems for saftetys are pretty bad... none of those teams have a proven duo.....

not sure if the cardinals would be in the top 5 for nfl tandems...

kmartin575
06-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Better DEs and better wide receivers imo.

That is questionable.

The NFC definitely doesn't have overall teams that compare to the AFC.

Everybody is in love with the Saints but the fact is they only went 10-6 in the weak NFC. They would not have made the playoffs in the AFC.

Modano
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I'd have the Eagles, Redskins and then Cards as my top 3.

And the Bears higher, pending Brown is healthy and AA isn't playing.

Until Landry plays a snap in the NFL, the Redskins duo is not top 3. Right now you can't say that he's gonna be good, when he will have at least 1 year of starting experience you could judge him. And Taylor didn't have that hell of a year too last season to putting the tandem so high just because of him...

The Cowboys duo ranking will depend on Ken Hamlin. If he can provide good coverage downfield they will be very good. Roy Williams was amazing when he was playing alongside Woodson.

bearsfan_51
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
As already mentioned, Vikings and Niners that high is ******* ridiculous. Anyone that could make a legit argument that Michael Lewis-Mark Roman is a better duo than Mike Brown-Adam Archuleta (or Danieal Manning) needs to be in a straight jacket. I'm actually pretty low on the Bears safties, but I wouldn't even take Lewis or Roman on our team, let alone as starters.

Moses
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
As already mentioned, Vikings and Niners that high is ******* ridiculous. Anyone that could make a legit argument that Michael Lewis-Mark Roman is a better duo than Mike Brown-Adam Archuleta (or Danieal Manning) needs to be in a straight jacket. I'm actually pretty low on the Bears safties, but I wouldn't even take Lewis or Roman on our team, let alone as starters.

49ers were a huge surprise. Mark Roman couldn't even stick with the Packers who have had a revolving door at safety as of late.

Acreboy
06-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Until Landry plays a snap in the NFL, the Redskins duo is not top 3. Right now you can't say that he's gonna be good, when he will have at least 1 year of starting experience you could judge him. And Taylor didn't have that hell of a year too last season to putting the tandem so high just because of him...

The Cowboys duo ranking will depend on Ken Hamlin. If he can provide good coverage downfield they will be very good. Roy Williams was amazing when he was playing alongside Woodson.All Roy Williams is, is a run stopping S.

Modano
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
All Roy Williams is, is a run stopping S.

This is not true. Roy started last year well in coverage too. The problem with the FS forced the Cowboys to use him as a cover-2 safety and way off the LOS. The result was a drastic downgrade of Roy's performances.

And if you look at the games Roy played with Woodson you'll find out that he was great, because he didn't have to cover a lot of field but he was allowed to play the short and intermediate zones where he is a very effective player...

skinzzfan25
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
All Roy Williams is, is a run stopping S.

http://www.wtopnews.com/emedia/apimage/5b366b74-53b6-4ae0-8cb9-57c04e853277.jpg

What are you talking about? :D

Moses
06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.wtopnews.com/emedia/apimage/5b366b74-53b6-4ae0-8cb9-57c04e853277.jpg

Nice ball skills. ;)

Modano
06-07-2007, 04:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCc-mzmWkzA

MasterShake
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/hysterical.gif

Roman played a solid year of coverage in SF last year. He isn't going to make any probowls, but he is a solid NFL safety.

Who did GB cut him for again? Ohhhhh.....Marquand Manuel....that worked out well...

scar988
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
8. Falcons. Lawyer Milloy, 33, can still pack a wallop and is strong in run support. Jimmy Williams and Chris Crocker, both of whom struggle in coverage, will compete at free safety.
yeah Jimmy struggles. at CB. not at S though. Jimmy is a beast as a S ion terms of coverage and is that all around safety. reminds me of Scott Case actually (I never saw Case live but I watched old videos of him before and he was a physical corner before he moved to FS and then near the end SS). Crocker sucks in coverage though and will be moved to SS this year IMO.

skinzzfan25
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM

He picked off Mark "Noodle Arm" Brunell. I bet if that was Campbell, it would have lasered right through his hands :)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/189354/redskins_amazing_comeback_in_last_4_min_v_cowboys/

What a ball-hawk (time two)

Edit: Then it ends with a Sean Taylor (better saftey) hit ftw.

BuckNaked
06-07-2007, 04:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huviqugFZi8

scottyboy
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
who ever drafts Courtney Greene(if he enters) will immidiately have he best safety duo, no matter who he's with :)

Sniper
06-07-2007, 05:04 PM

Hahaha that's great. Sweet pick by Williams picking off a 92 year old QB

Shiver
06-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Williams tried his ridiculous horse collar and failed. It's a shame that he didn't fail against Tyrone Calico and Musa Smith..

skinzzfan25
06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Williams tried his ridiculous horse collar and failed. It's a shame that he didn't fail against Tyrone Calico and Musa Smith..

I guess he figures that if he blows out their leg, they can't burn him deep.

GB12
06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Roman played a solid year of coverage in SF last year. He isn't going to make any probowls, but he is a solid NFL safety.

Who did GB cut him for again? Ohhhhh.....Marquand Manuel....that worked out well...

I'd take Manuel over Roman any day.

Geo
06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
The NFC has terrible safeties.
Duos, at least. Which is why I'd have:

1. Washington Redskins

Drafting a stud SS like Laron Landry, who will go to multiple Pro Bowls imo, is noteworthy in itself. But the acquisition of Landry in addition to the team ending its failed attempt at hybrid safeties, allowing each safety to focus on their specific roles only, allows Sean Taylor to not have to playing in the box so much (making up for a porous defensive line) and be able to work solely as the ballhawk free safety he can be. I normally don't go for what I see on paper, but I really think this duo will be the class of the NFC sooner rather than later and could hang with the best of the AFC.

2. Chicago Bears

The addition of Adam Archuleta was a great one and should get more pub, I think, he's displayed he could play well at SS for Lovie Smith in St. Louis and this Bears defense is a better unit by leaps and bounds. Reports are that Mike Brown has fully recovered and is ready to man the FS position, and even if he doesn't, I wouldn't overlook that Daniael Manning has an all-important year of experience under his belt at the position.

PACKmanN
06-07-2007, 07:03 PM

did you forget how our WR owned Roman that day or do you need to be reminded again? Roman not even worth starting, he cried about us brining in Manuel. He doesn't like to battle to play.

I would take the redskins Safties over any of these guys.

Acreboy
06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCc-mzmWkzABrunell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAVzF9h9K2g

MasterShake
06-07-2007, 11:54 PM
I'd take Manuel over Roman any day.

Manuel has been horrific....

Roman played a solid year for us....nothing special....he got beat at times....but he played solid. Mike Nolan gave him a 3 year extension....and Nolan is a great evaluator of defensive talent.

Oh and for the record...I think the niners are too high on the list for sure.

Modano
06-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Brunell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAVzF9h9K2g

The Roy video was a joke, just a reply to the redskin fan (next year maybe I could show a video of Roy picking off Campbell :P ).
The point is that when Roy hasn't great coverage responsabilities, so when he plays alongside a good FS, he's a very effective player, not only defending the run.
Infact, when Woody was still playing, Roy was making play after play and had a great success, he hasn't been the same since Woody retired.
And last year, when the season started and Watkins was playing good, Roy was having a very good season. The game against the Eagles, in which our secondary was torched, Parcells came out saying that all the big plays were because one player, and this player was Watkins.
After that game the problem at FS started and Roy was asked to play the cover 2 and way off the line, and his performances wen downhill (but he still had some good games). If you don't believe that just watch the films of these games.

So, I'm not saying the Cowboys' duo is the best in the NFC, I'm saying they have as many question marks as every other team, and that their success depends on how Hamlin plays, because Roy has shown multiple times in his career that he's a great player when he plays with a good FS. Too bad he didn't have one since Woodson. This is the list of the Cowboys starting FS from 2003: Tony Dixon, Lynn Scott, Keith Davis, Patrick Watkins.
That's why we Cowboys fans are putting our hopes on Hamlin.

Larry
06-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Duos, at least. Which is why I'd have:

1. Washington Redskins

Drafting a stud SS like Laron Landry, who will go to multiple Pro Bowls imo, is noteworthy in itself. But the acquisition of Landry in addition to the team ending its failed attempt at hybrid safeties, allowing each safety to focus on their specific roles only, allows Sean Taylor to not have to playing in the box so much (making up for a porous defensive line) and be able to work solely as the ballhawk free safety he can be. I normally don't go for what I see on paper, but I really think this duo will be the class of the NFC sooner rather than later and could hang with the best of the AFC.

2. Chicago Bears

The addition of Adam Archuleta was a great one and should get more pub, I think, he's displayed he could play well at SS for Lovie Smith in St. Louis and this Bears defense is a better unit by leaps and bounds. Reports are that Mike Brown has fully recovered and is ready to man the FS position, and even if he doesn't, I wouldn't overlook that Daniael Manning has an all-important year of experience under his belt at the position.

No way, Mike Brown is injury prone(Over 30 missed games the last 3 years) and Archuleta just sucks.