PDA

View Full Version : G.Ellis asks to get outta Dallas

skinzzfan25
06-07-2007, 04:19 PM
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/ellisjune.jpg

Greg Ellis requested a meeting with the owner to discuss restructuring his contract. Jerry told the media horde today that a meeting ain't gonna happen.
"I don't have any plans to meet with anybody that's under contract," Jerry said.
Ellis' response: Fine, then release me.
"That pretty much sums it up," Ellis said after Jerry's comments were relayed to him. "A player that you're serious about keeping, you don't not meet with him. I guess I can say that and be politically correct."
Ellis, a DE-turned-OLB, is tied with Flozell Adams as the longest tenured active Cowboy (12 years). But Ellis knew his tenure would come to an end soon after the Cowboys picked Anthony Spencer in the first round.
Wade Phillips calls Ellis, who is still recovering from an injured Achilles tendon, the team's starting outside linebacker. That doesn't comfort Ellis, who basically said that it isn't the coaches' call. He said coaches told DE Kenyon Coleman that they wanted him here.
"[Number] 93 is now Anthony Spencer, not Kenyon Coleman," Ellis said.
Ellis stated that he won't participate in training camp unless he's sure he's 100 percent, because Jerry has made it clear that he won't look out for him. And Ellis made it clear he'd much rather be with another team in time for training camp.
I doubt that will happen. If nothing else, Ellis is an excellent, reasonably priced insurance policy if the rookie isn't ready. Ellis understands that logic. His reply: "If a guy's not into it, do you really want that guy on your team?"

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 1:20 PM (E-mail this entry)

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/06/ellis_requests_release_after_meeting_den.html

__________________________________________________ _

Don't know if this should go under Team Talk, but the NFL forum moves so slow anyway, we need somethin to talk about :D

Plus, he's a semi-big name.

scar988
06-07-2007, 04:21 PM
he doesn't fit the 3-4. he needs to get out.

remix 6
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM

he does fit a 3-4 as an OLB..he did well there last year before injury

duckseason
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
He seemed to fit in just fine last year.
Man this sucks. We really need him.

Moses
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't like Jerry Jones' attitude towards this. What kind of employer flat out refuses to speak with an employee? Idiotic.

MasterShake
06-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Who's gunna want him for the money he wants?

The year after an achilles injury is always a down year and he may never fully recover AND he is getting long in the tooth.

He was a good player, but he has little production left in him.

draftguru151
06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Get him out of there and let Spencer start. :D

KILLERSANTA
06-07-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Bucks says we cut him and the Redskins sign him................

We have to many LB's anyway...(Even for the 3-4)

Grizzlegom
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
this wouldnt be too bad since carpenter played better outside last year and they drafted spencer to play opposite ware anyway. ellis never wanted to play in the 3-4 and has been complaining ever since they switched to it. now they've taken 3-4 OLBs in the past 3 drafts so im not surprised he wants out still.

draftguru151
06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
this wouldnt be too bad since carpenter played better outside last year and they drafted spencer to play opposite ware anyway. ellis never wanted to play in the 3-4 and has been complaining ever since they switched to it. now they've taken 3-4 OLBs in the past 3 drafts so im not surprised he wants out still.

Carpenter is moving inside, but they do have 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder outside.

dc4life
06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
This has been known quite a while amongst Dallas fans now. Ellis wants to move on to another team, but he isn't being a poor sport about it. Hes been spending most of his time rehabbing and tutoring Spencer for the OLB position.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I like Ellis and think he is a good role-model guy. he's goin to come to work if he's not traded or released, but for obvious reasons he has made his desires known. He can start somewhere else, although he'll have to take a pay cut becuase of his injury concern

Acreboy
06-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Jerry Jones

&

Idiotic.

In the same sentence. I'm speechless..

Jones should have sat down with him and at least listened to him. He's been there 12 years and been decent at his job. He earned at the very least a meeting.

KILLERSANTA
06-07-2007, 09:12 PM
&

In the same sentence. I'm speechless..

Jones should have sat down with him and at least listened to him. He's been there 12 years and been decent at his job. He earned at the very least a meeting.

he's going in to his 10 year.

ks_perfection
06-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Jones probably doesn't see the point in the meeting. I doubt the management hasn't decided if and how much they'd want his contract reduced and once they do he'd just tell Ellis agent. He knows that Ellis is pissed and what owner doesn't want to talk with angry employees.

Woody56
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
If Ellis leaves he would start, Kevin Burnett or Anthony Spencer.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-07-2007, 09:46 PM
His IQ went up a bit.

KILLERSANTA
06-07-2007, 09:54 PM
If Ellis leaves he would start, Kevin Burnett or Anthony Spencer.

Spencer, Burnett moved inside

By the end of the year, The Starting LBing core will be

Spencer........................................... ...................................Ware

......................Akins....................... ......Burnett

TACKLE
06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Spencer, Burnett moved inside

By the end of the year, The Starting LBing core will be

Spencer........................................... ...................................Ware

......................Akins....................... ......Burnett

What about Bobby Carpenter? Will he compete for a starting spot?

KILLERSANTA
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
What about Bobby Carpenter? Will he compete for a starting spot?

He would most likely rotate with Ware and AS at Outside LB, While James will Rotate at ILB

Geo
06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
He'd have to prove he's fully recovered from his Achilles injury for another team to be interested in him, I would think.

iloxygenil
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I wonder how much the Zimmer connection could influence him...I'd love him in Zimmer's 4-3...

Modano
06-08-2007, 02:10 AM
I don't like Jerry Jones' attitude towards this. What kind of employer flat out refuses to speak with an employee? Idiotic.

I dunno Moses. Probably Jerry has his reasons to do that. Recently Ellis has become a joke.
First, we drafted Spencer, who plays Ellis' role, and he started to complaining, saying that this a bad signal, that the team didn't trust him anymore. After that he started to talk with the media saying that he needs a new contract, that the team should show him that he's still the guy and so on. Phillips came out saying that the SOLB job is still Ellis' job, but Ellis said he was frustrated because his team drafted in two consecutive years two players to play his role.
Ellis is 32 (and he's not a CB, DEs don't last that much in the league) and coming OFF a major injury. Not only he complains about his team drafting his future replacement (I guess in Ellis mind we should have drafted a future OLB when he retired), but he wants a new contract! Who's gonna give a new contract to a player who is getting old and his coming off a major injury?
Maybe Jerry was trying to deliver him a message, something like "just play at this conditions or leave". And right now I'm with him, because Ellis' complaining is ridicolous...

@Killersanta: We don't know who's gonna start inside. You say Burnett only because Phillips used Edwards with the Chargers. I think both James and Carpenter have more chances to start than Burnett...

OhioState
06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
He would most likely rotate with Ware and AS at Outside LB, While James will Rotate at ILB

I have been hearing that B Carp moved inside and will likely start this year. I don't think they can afford to use first round picks on guys they don't intent to start anyway.

Space Ghost
06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Who can argue with him though? The Cowboys have spent three first round picks in a row on linebackers, all of whom are more physically skilled than him and aren't too far behind him in terms of knowledge of the system if at all because of the coaching change. I could see him on the Raiders maybe. I think that the Bengals should definitely get an offer in on him though, They need someone who can rush the passer when Geathers isn't on the field.