PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon drafted

foozball
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
5th round of the MLB draft...i know he was a top prospect in highschool, but didnt he give up baseball? a bit high for a guy who hasnt played in a while, but his upside as an athlete has always been tremendous.

duckseason
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
5th round of the MLB draft...i know he was a top prospect in highschool, but didnt he give up baseball? a bit high for a guy who hasnt played in a while, but his upside as an athlete has always been tremendous.
Wow. First I've heard of this. So who drafted him and how long do they have the rights to him? I'm not really up on baseball like I used to be. I'd imagine he'd stick with football and go on to the NFL, but 5th round is pretty high for baseball. Maybe he has a better future there. I'd be interested to see his comments on this.

duckseason
06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Ah. I see the Braves drafted him. Interesting.

Ravens1991
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
wasnt he taken in the supplemental draft by San Fran or am I thinking about another person.

Green Bay Scat
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
great, the braves wasted a pick, shouldve drafted brady leaf, get the same out of the pick as dixon...

rainbeaukid2
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
same thing happened with matt moore

SuperKevin
06-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Dixon should play baseball. Players like him are a dime a dozen in football but there aren't too many 6'5" super athletic players with a cannon arm in baseball.

eliteeagle
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
wasnt he benched at some point this year?

foozball
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
wasnt he benched at some point this year?

yes...for football...we're talking baseball here buddy

foozball
06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
reports are that he will play minor league ball during the summer and return to school for football

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Oregon has no baseball program if I remember correctly. So where has Dixon been playing and keeping his skills sharp?

eliteeagle
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
yes...for football...we're talking baseball here buddy

no really??? (sarcasm)

point being....why would he stick to football if he gets benched on his college team

Vikes99ej
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
That's neat. Several players in the NFL got drafted by MLB teams, such as Cedric Benson.

foozball
06-08-2007, 01:51 AM
no really??? (sarcasm)

point being....why would he stick to football if he gets benched on his college team

because he still has upside as a football player...duh. just cuz he gets benched doesnt really mean anything, especially in his 1st full year of starting at QB.

oregon does have a baseball program, but dixon didnt play baseball in college. he was a very very good prospect coming out of highschool, not sure why he didnt sign out of highschool.

duckseason
06-08-2007, 01:53 AM
oregon does have a baseball program, but dixon didnt play baseball in college. he was a very very good prospect coming out of highschool, not sure why he didnt sign out of highschool.
No we don't.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-08-2007, 02:29 AM
If Dixon struggles again next year (or doesn't even start), maybe he would turn to baseball. He's obviously a great athlete and someone in Atlanta took notice.

bwillie26
06-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Dixon didn't play baseball, and hasn't since HS. However, he knows his future in football is limited, so he had open workouts for baseball. The Braves took a chance on him, based almost solely on potential and upside.

He has until August 15th to sign with Atlanta, since the new rules are in place. He is expected to sign and go to Atlanta's team in the GCL. After that season, he is expected to go back to Oregon and complete his final year there.

duckseason
06-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Damn. This has me concerned about our Football program. If he's not out there during summer practices, I don't see how he can avoid being overtaken by Leaf for the starting job. The fact that we're installing a new offense doesn't help matters either. I really don't want Leaf to start. I was excited to see what Dixon could accomplish this year. There's no doubt in my mind that he's our best QB, and that he was primed for a solid season. I hope he decides to fully commit to football, but it sounds like he's gonna give the Braves a shot. Hopefully everything works out for him either way.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Damn. This has me concerned about our Football program. If he's not out there during summer practices, I don't see how he can avoid being overtaken by Leaf for the starting job. The fact that we're installing a new offense doesn't help matters either. I really don't want Leaf to start. I was excited to see what Dixon could accomplish this year. There's no doubt in my mind that he's our best QB, and that he was primed for a solid season. I hope he decides to fully commit to football, but it sounds like he's gonna give the Braves a shot. Hopefully everything works out for him either way.

Maybe someone will draft Brady Leaf in the next 45 rounds.

foozball
06-08-2007, 12:24 PM
No we don't.

my mistake, i was thinking of oregon state

thebow305
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
That's neat. Several players in the NFL got drafted by MLB teams, such as Cedric Benson.

And Ronnie Brown.

JDB7821
06-09-2007, 12:35 PM
And Ronnie Brown.

And Michael Vick.