PDA

View Full Version : Most important position???

JMiah
06-08-2007, 02:29 PM
What is the most important position in football???

QB? Can you win the Superbowl without a great one? (Dilfer)

RB? Need the ground game don't you?

WR? How can the QB throw to no names... we Brady did last year...

LB? Anchor of the D?

K? Joking... but Vinny did lead the Pats to some big games... and now he went to the Colts... they did it too...

LT? Can you do anything without a line?

Acreboy
06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Very arguable. I won't even attempt it.

scottyboy
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
this could become a very heated thread..... but i voted LB, and here's my reason.

LB's are the key to your defense. They either cover in zone, cover TE's, RB's, have to stuff the run and rush the QB. A good LB corp will steady and anchor your defense. defense wins championships in my eyes. granted, you could make a case for every position, but i feel LB's do the most on D for their team

JK17
06-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I think it comes down to Quarterback and the O-Line. Its tough to choose. I would say Quarterback, since they are responsible for getting every play going, leading the team, knowing what every player does on every single play, etc. etc.

But without an O-Line...that all means nothing. Can't really have one without the other and hope to win.

Jughead10
06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Out of those options, definately QB. I'm surpised DE isn't an option.

Acreboy
06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Of course Adam Vinatieri says hi.

jbeans187
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Im going to say qb, since they touch the ball every offensive down, but all of the positions have great points to argue

Don Vito
06-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I say QB, they touch the ball basically every offensive play and are regarded as the leader of the offense, even the team in many cases. They have to not only be able to make the throws and the handoffs but they have to know essentially every players responsibilty on every play.

Splat
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
LT on O unless your QB is left handed then RT on D I would say DT it all starts in the middle on D.

Space Ghost
06-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm a bit different than most, but I prefer a monster DT over all. A DT who can stop the rush and the pass makes everything easier for everyone on defense. LB isn't that important in all schemes, the DTs are important in any defensive scheme. If you can't keep guys off your linebackers your rush defense is going to be awful, if you can pressure the qb with a DT, you just send your DEs wide like a c/t-2 and get the sacks. For me, its all about the DT.

Splat
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm a bit different than most, but I prefer a monster DT over all. A DT who can stop the rush and the pass makes everything easier for everyone on defense. LB isn't that important in all schemes, the DTs are important in any defensive scheme. If you can't keep guys off your linebackers your rush defense is going to be awful, if you can pressure the qb with a DT, you just send your DEs wide like a c/t-2 and get the sacks. For me, its all about the DT.

I agree that DT is a huge position of need for any great D they free up everyone else to do there job.

NIN1984
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Its very hard to answer, but football is the ultimate team sport. Everyone is counting on each other, If the O-line doesn’t block the QB is eaten dirt, if the O-line is blocking and than the QB has happy feet we have a problem.

You can go either way

draftguru151
06-08-2007, 03:37 PM
QB, it's always gonna be the QB. No other position affects the game so much.

BigRed
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
over a season the quaterback, but if came down to that single game, i'd be damned if i didn't want Vinatieri trotting onto the field for me

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Exactly. Football is not like any sport, in that no one player can do everything, and in order for a play to be successful, everyone has to do their job. A LT dominating doesn't mean jack if the LG is getting beat every play. A dominant DE won't do anything if he can be double or triple teamed because the rest of his line sucks. One dominant CB won't be unstoppable if the other can't cover well. A WR can't catch what isn't there. Only a QB can even come close to doing things on his own. In the NFL, if he can hit even the worst receiver in the hands, it's a catch. If he can evade the rush, his o-line need not be spectacular. Of course, he can't take a team with a crap OL and no WRs to the super bowl, but he can make them appear better than reality.

Space Ghost
06-08-2007, 04:18 PM
A dominant DE won't do anything if he can be double or triple teamed because the rest of his line sucks.

If you are getting double and tripple teamed and your defense can't get past the other couple guys, you don't deserve to be in the NFL, if someone can get me a tripple team consistently I take them over anyone, that gives me a nice 10 v. 8 and hopefully a couple of those 10 have at least an ounce of talent.

Phrost
06-08-2007, 04:22 PM
LT guards the QB from the DE so I guess DE, but most DEs need inside help from DTs. So DTs? But the C and Gs block the DTs so C/Gs?

Xonraider
06-08-2007, 04:48 PM

So true. You can afford to have a bad Tackle... or a bad linebacker etc etc.. but not a bad QB.

remix 6
06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
id say both sides of the line

QB - having a good/great QB is terrific..but if you dont have a legit run game or pass protection..it wont work.

RB - you can have a great RB but what if hes got no line or no QB/WRs to take the pressure off him?

OL - they give room for run game and pass protection..give any QB a lot of time and he can be good and give an OL a decent RB and he'll get some good yards

DL - Battles start in trenches...if you dont have a good DL, do you really think LBs would be as good? No..they might put up stats but thats not how you should judge a player. No pressure from DL means more time for QBs to stand back and even a great secondary wont be able to stop passing game if they are stuck on an island all day

DBs..they are only as good as the front 7..if front 7 stops run and creates pressure, the secondary should look better.

scottyboy
06-08-2007, 04:55 PM
i just wanna say something here, granted the great QB beat out the mediocre QB in the super bowl, but the Bears were led by a great D, which was led by two very good LB's in Urlacher and Briggs. I just have a defensive mind set, but on O, no doubt QB.(or OC, depending on how he uses his QB's strenghts and weaknesses)

SenorGato
06-08-2007, 04:57 PM
LT, because that is the most important position on the most important part of a football team.

A good O-line opens holes for the running game, protects and gives the QB time to make plays, allows teams to chew up the clock, and gives their defense time to rest and play all out.

A good football is built in the trenches. Obviously you can also argue your D-line.

draftguru151
06-08-2007, 05:09 PM
i just wanna say something here, granted the great QB beat out the mediocre QB in the super bowl, but the Bears were led by a great D, which was led by two very good LB's in Urlacher and Briggs. I just have a defensive mind set, but on O, no doubt QB.(or OC, depending on how he uses his QB's strenghts and weaknesses)

A defense also has 11 people. An OL has 5 people. QB is only 1.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
QB, absolutely no question.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-08-2007, 06:22 PM
QB, absolutely no question.

yup (10 characters)

sodar21
06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't know about most important but least important is safety.

Phrost
06-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Thats debatable. Depends on the player and scheme.

duckseason
06-08-2007, 06:34 PM
The only way you could have made it so something could compete with QB, would've been to include an option that said "doggie style."

It's QB. No question.

niel89
06-08-2007, 06:38 PM
IMO most important is Oline and Dline groups as a whole. no one position is the most important, its too debatable

duckseason
06-08-2007, 06:47 PM
IMO most important is Oline and Dline groups as a whole. no one position is the most important, its too debatable
Yes, the units that play in the trenches are definitely the most important as a whole. Everything starts there. But there is no single position that is more important than QB. I think most coaches/GM's and the like would agree.

Watchman
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
long snapper

Space Ghost
06-08-2007, 06:50 PM

It is definitely the fullback in the modern NFL. Half the teams don't even use them any more. Safety might even be ahead of linebackers and tight-ends on some teams, especially teams that run a tampa-2, the safeties are probably the most important people on the defense after the linemen.

Phrost
06-08-2007, 06:59 PM
It is definitely the fullback in the modern NFL. Half the teams don't even use them any more. Safety might even be ahead of linebackers and tight-ends on some teams, especially teams that run a tampa-2, the safeties are probably the most important people on the defense after the linemen.

True. I can't think of too many teams that use the fullback as more than a fast offensive lineman that runs at people.

Precisely correct about the Tampa-2.

Which is why I want the Bucs to draft Kenny Phillips.

Dam8610
06-08-2007, 11:08 PM

Ed Reed and Bob Sanders say hi.

To win a championship, you need a collection of great talents at several positions, but I'd be shocked if the corrolation between having an elite QB and winning games wasn't higher than the same corrolation for having an elite player at any other position.

princefielder28
06-08-2007, 11:16 PM
An answer other than QB would be absolutely absurd

Ewing
06-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Long Snapper.

Caddy
06-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Football is a team game :)

yodabear
06-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Kicker, fricken Brown and Vinatieri

SenorGato
06-09-2007, 02:35 AM

Why? A QB is as much a product of his team as anyone else. And the flashy positions on either side are nothing without their respective lines.

And who is responsible for all normal O-line duties + protects the blindside of the holy QBs who get all the credit?

The LT.

Theres a very strong argument for LT. A team can be good with an average QB and sometimes even below average QBs, but few teams without a good QB protector do anything.

Football Fan
06-09-2007, 04:04 AM
An answer other than QB would be absolutely absurdNo doubt. Anyone that has anything to do with pro football will tell you that. As a singular option its absolutely QB. No question.
a great QB> vs. a great anyone.

Now if its Rex Grossman vs. Brian Urlacher, you take Urlacher hands down, but the talent level is completely lopsided.
Trent Dilfer does not have the same value as Ray Lewis. You can pick any QB off the scrap heap and get Dilfer.
If your building a team and you could have Joe Montana or Jerry Rice you take Montana every time, although its almost close but Rice was one of the greatest ever if not the greatest. Of coarse I guess the same could be said about Montana.
I think Reggie White VS. a great Qb would make me stop and think about it though. Reggie was absolutely incredible the way he could effect a game and everyone around him.

BufFan71
06-09-2007, 06:31 AM
the offensive line, and the defensive line
the game is won in the trenches

draftguru151
06-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Why? A QB is as much a product of his team as anyone else. And the flashy positions on either side are nothing without their respective lines.

And who is responsible for all normal O-line duties + protects the blindside of the holy QBs who get all the credit?

The LT.

Theres a very strong argument for LT. A team can be good with an average QB and sometimes even below average QBs, but few teams without a good QB protector do anything.

The LT takes out one player, that's it, one guy. A QB has an effect on every single defender when he has the ball, and even when he doesn't.

princefielder28
06-09-2007, 10:33 AM
The quarterback is the most crucial position in ALL of sports, not only football. Calls the play in the huddle, gets up to the line and breaks down the defense, and then has to make decisions in the blink of an eye. If he doesn't do everything with absolute percision then it doesn't work. There's no other position in sports that demands so much and that is why they are the most important.

Splat
06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
the offensive line, and the defensive line
the game is won in the trenches

Dam right.

princefielder28
06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Dam right.

No it's not right. Look at the Chicago Bears, they kicked a$$ all year in the trenches but when it came down to the end they couldn't get the job done b/c they didn't have a QB that was capable of making any plays.

Jensen
06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
As a single position QB is the most important. I voted for OT because I thought it said OL, and I would pick a good OL over a good QB.

remix 6
06-09-2007, 10:47 AM

okay..so how did the Bears win so many games and make it to SB with Grossman?

they didnt lose strictly because Grossman..their defense didnt do jack ****

princefielder28
06-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Take a look at the Super Bowl Winner: Peyton Manning. Boy he sure is a terrific QB. His line is above average, his RBs were decent, his receivers are teriffic, and his defense sucked for three quaters of the year. Peyton Manning was and will always be the catalyst to their victories. Look at what happen with the New Orleans Saints once they got a QB that can actually play; they WIN!

draftguru151
06-09-2007, 12:05 PM

Because they dominated with an 11 player defense and had a very good ground game, which is 6+ people. Those are groups. Yes games are won in the trenches, but thats 4/5 people, a QB is one player. No ONE player has the effect that the QB does.

Michigan
06-09-2007, 12:48 PM
QB is the most important single player on the team, but the quality of the O-Line/D-Line is far more important to a team's success.

eaglesfan_45
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
My most important is RB because with a solid running game it will force the defense to respect the run which will help the QB. Jake Plummer would have been just average without the amazing running game in Denver. Big Ben might not be anything great but maybe he had a down year but no doubt the running game helped him out.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Coaching.(10)

Michigan
06-09-2007, 01:09 PM
My most important is RB because with a solid running game it will force the defense to respect the run which will help the QB. Jake Plummer would have been just average without the amazing running game in Denver. Big Ben might not be anything great but maybe he had a down year but no doubt the running game helped him out.

RB isn't as important to the running game as a good passing attack or a good run-blocking o-line.

VY10
06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Well I'd rather have a QB than 1 OL, but a great OL can make average QBs and RBs good IMO.

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 02:41 PM
im saying QB just to the fact the control they play everytime the ball is snapped... they make an error and throw and interception your team is at a dis advantage... as long as your QB doesnt make errors it is easier to win games... although O-line could be argued and im a very strong beliveer you need both to win... QB won out by a slight margin

iloxygenil
06-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I vote Safety. Look at the Colt's defense without Bob Sanders, and then when he came back, what'd he do?

remix 6
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Because they dominated with an 11 player defense and had a very good ground game, which is 6+ people. Those are groups. Yes games are won in the trenches, but thats 4/5 people, a QB is one player. No ONE player has the effect that the QB does.

1 player..its QB. a position..its OL/DL

Patriots build around the lines..specifically DL. All 3 of the starters are first round picks and explains why our D is as good as it is

Smooth Criminal
06-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Thing is you can make RBs look good with a great O-line. Even if you have a great O-line you still need a great QB.

Smooth Criminal
06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I vote Safety. Look at the Colt's defense without Bob Sanders, and then when he came back, what'd he do?

He didn't help that much because he was a safety. He helped that much because hes a good player. A good player coming back to a below average defense is going to help at any position.

iloxygenil
06-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Not as much as he did imo. I think that it takes a team to win, but I think QBs get entirely too much credit, and too much blame. No one can do it alone, but I think on defense, a Safety, a last line of defense, can keep players out of the endzone a lot of times, keeping big plays from happening, and allowing a below average corner to look like a pro bowler, if he's good enough.

There really is no correct answer to this question.

princefielder28
06-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Not as much as he did imo. I think that it takes a team to win, but I think QBs get entirely too much credit, and too much blame. No one can do it alone, but I think on defense, a Safety, a last line of defense, can keep players out of the endzone a lot of times, keeping big plays from happening, and allowing a below average corner to look like a pro bowler, if he's good enough.

Yeah there is and it is QB. Obviously some of you have never played the position so you have no idea. You have to know what everyone on the offense is doing, you have to breakdown the defense when you're at the line, and then you have to make quick decisions and everything hinges on what you do.

keylime_5
06-09-2007, 05:29 PM
This thread should be called "most important position (other than QB)". If you have a great QB you are automatically a good offense, usually a good team. That can't be said about any other position.

duckseason
06-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Right. There's not necessarily a correct answer because this is based on opinion. Nevertheless, people who say anything other than QB don't appear to know much about football. I think it's pretty obvious that it is the single most important position on the field. Hell, you can line up on defense without a Free Safety if you want. You said it yourself, it's the last line of defense. Other than the Center, there is only one player that touches the ball on every* play. Without a QB, you have zero passing game. You can take away any other position, and you still have something there. Take away a single corner, you still have a pass defense. Take away a RB, you can still run the ball with a FB, WR, TE or QB. Take away an OL, you still have blockers. Take away a DL, you still have pass rushers. Pretty much take away any player, and you're just running a different scheme. The QB is easily the most important player on the field.

duckseason
06-09-2007, 05:39 PM
This thread should be called "most important position (other than QB)". If you have a great QB you are automatically a good offense, usually a good team. That can't be said about any other position.
I disagree. You can be the greatest QB in the world, but without protection, or guys to catch the ball, your greatness will never shine through on the field. Every player on the field is relying on his teammates to one degree or another in order to help themselves do their job correctly. Perhaps none more so than the QB.

DuckHunt
06-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Quarterback. You can have every position covered (Chicago) and if you have Grossman at QB you just aren't going to win the big game. QB is the most important position on the field.

Also Center, without the Center, the QB doesn't get the ball :)

fenikz
06-09-2007, 07:36 PM

idk its pretty proven that you need quality safeties to win super bowls, Sanders, Harrison, Polamalu, Milloy, D. Jackson, Woodson

ks_perfection
06-10-2007, 07:43 AM

The Colts defenders played really badly at the end of the season. They didn't tackle at all, in the Jags game they'd get 4 cracks at Drew and he'd still score on a long run. In the playoffs they ran fast and tackled well. They just brought it.

LarryJohnson27
06-10-2007, 10:38 AM
It seems like some are comparing the importance of an entire OL to QB, but that's not the question. The question is LT vs. QB, and I don't see how anyone can say LT.

sweetness34
06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Quarterback. You can have every position covered (Chicago) and if you have Grossman at QB you just aren't going to win the big game. QB is the most important position on the field.

Also Center, without the Center, the QB doesn't get the ball :)

And Grossman wasn't the reason we lost the SB, he was a factor but he wasn't the reason.

Xonraider
06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
And Grossman wasn't the reason we lost the SB, he was a factor but he wasn't the reason.

Well, switch teams of Peyton Manning and Rexy Sexy for that game. Who do you think would win?

nobodyinparticular
06-10-2007, 12:55 PM
What is the most important position in football???

QB? Can you win the Superbowl without a great one? (Dilfer)

RB? Need the ground game don't you?

WR? How can the QB throw to no names... we Brady did last year...

LB? Anchor of the D?

K? Joking... but Vinny did lead the Pats to some big games... and now he went to the Colts... they did it too...

LT? Can you do anything without a line?

22 starters. 2 key special teams players and various positions of depth (#3 WR, #2 RB, NCB, situational rusher, returners, etc.)

Football, more than any other sport is a team effort. It is in football that all 11 players on the field have results that are directly affected by the other players. There is absolutely no way that any one position can be considered the most important.

All you need to see this truth is in the various building philosophies--some build from a strong line on both sides, some build with skill positions, some try to build just with a running game, some try to build with a great secondary, some try to build with a great defense, some build off an amazing passing attack.

And guess what, you see every one of those work and fail with every variance of success.

7-11
06-12-2007, 06:47 AM
what do people remember about most superbowl winning teams? the qb, people judge a qb on if they win rings or not so doesnt think kinda mean they dictate the success of a team the most of any position. sure tackle is important and i can apprecaite the importance of a great line but they arent the guys who are single handedly blamed for losses. not sure if any of that made sense but surely u get my drift

7-11
06-12-2007, 06:51 AM
I disagree. You can be the greatest QB in the world, but without protection, or guys to catch the ball, your greatness will never shine through on the field. Every player on the field is relying on his teammates to one degree or another in order to help themselves do their job correctly. Perhaps none more so than the QB.

yeah but all other positions rely on the qb playing well, if a qb stinks then every other position is goin to look very dodgy. backs wont get yards with 8 guys in the box, line wont look great when the qb is holdin onto the ball and gettin hit every 3 snaps and the receivers dont look too special when they cant get the ball. its kinda a catch 22 and very hard to analyse

SenorGato
06-12-2007, 05:21 PM

I completely disagree.

The QB does nothing without anyone else.

draftguru151
06-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Every position needs another to succeed. Football is the biggest team sport, but no one position has the effect that the QB does.

LitoSheppard
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
The line, that is were every game is won, If you have a great offensive line you will have sucsess no matter what..

JK17
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
The line, that is were every game is won, If you have a great offensive line you will have sucsess no matter what..

That's five positions though. One good OL does you nothing.

TACKLE
06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
QB is widely regarded as the most important position in sports. The funny thing is that there no position in sports that is more dependent on the players around him than the QB. A pitcher can have an amazing game and it doesn't matter how the guy of 3B played. A goalie is the same idea. A Quarterback needs a good OL to protect him. He needs a run back who can get good yardage on 1st down, move the sticks, and to take pressure of of him. Then a QB needs good WR's. Yes the QB is probably "the most important position" but it just goes to show you why football is the most team oriented sport there is.

Race for the Heisman
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Quarterback. Just look at how much a team has to compensate when the quarterback isn't the great. Look at the 2000 Ravens, one of the best defenses of all time. Now consider the other past 10 SB winners. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brady (3), Johnson, Warner, Elway (2), Favre. Roethlisberger's situation is unique but he could be a great quarterback in this league and his numbers that year were 17 TD/9 INT with 63% completion percentage and around 1800 yards. Brad Johnson was 22:6 TD:INT ratio, a 62% passer, and had a 3,000 yard season. So one common denominator is a good quarterback. I can't find Dilfer's numbers but I bet they aren't that bad either.

7-11
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM

yeah that worked great for the cheifs over the past few years...face it 9 times out of 10 the team with a top 5 qb is going to be successful

06-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Quarterback. Just look at how much a team has to compensate when the quarterback isn't the great. Look at the 2000 Ravens, one of the best defenses of all time. Now consider the other past 10 SB winners. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brady (3), Johnson, Warner, Elway (2), Favre. Roethlisberger's situation is unique but he could be a great quarterback in this league and his numbers that year were 17 TD/9 INT with 63% completion percentage and around 1800 yards. Brad Johnson was 22:6 TD:INT ratio, a 62% passer, and had a 3,000 yard season. So one common denominator is a good quarterback. I can't find Dilfer's numbers but I bet they aren't that bad either.

Burger boy also was supported by a great line, running game, and defense.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-13-2007, 02:52 AM
This isn't even about what positions you need great players at to win superbowls, it's about the basic structure of a team.

A quarterback is the glue of an offense. He is what turns the effort from the offensive line, the runningbacks, and the wide receivers into points. He learns everyone's role is every play, he practices with and talks to all his players.

It is extremely rare (if unheard of) that such a player ever exists on the defensive side of the ball, but even then, the quarterback commands the method by which teams score points.

Incompetence at any position other than quarterback can be compensated for schematically.

Iamcanadian
06-13-2007, 07:59 AM
NFL GM's decided a long time ago that QB is the most important position on a football team. You only have to look at the last decade to see how they view the position. In the last 10 years of the draft, QB's have gone #1 overall in 8 of them and of the 2 drafts where a QB didn't go #1 overall, there wasn't a QB drafted in the top 10 in one of them indicating that no QB was worth the pick. Only Vince Young managed to go top 5 without being taken #1 overall.
There is absolutely no argument about the most important position on a football team, the draft clearly shows the answer.