PDA

View Full Version : Bucs declare Jeff Garcia as #1 QB

SuperKevin
06-09-2007, 11:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2898803

Jon Gruden says Garcia has a BIG lead over Chris Simms going into the preseason. Can't say I'd make the same choice but they'll probably do the same with either QB

Vikes99ej
06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
With how Garcia played at the end of the last year, I can see why. There has to be a lot of certainty there with Simms.

broncs2bowl
06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
not a good decision, Chris Simms was good but he got injured. He led the Bucs to the playoffs the year before. Garcia was good in offenses like the 49ers and Eagles that pass a lot and are "west coast". But the Bucs he does not fit, this is a bad decision

Go_Eagles77
06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
not a good decision, Chris Simms was good but he got injured. He led the Bucs to the playoffs the year before. Garcia was good in offenses like the 49ers and Eagles that pass a lot and are "west coast". But the Bucs he does not fit, this is a bad decision

Garcia passed less than 50% of the time when he was with the eagles, and don't the Bucs run the WCO?

Splat
06-09-2007, 11:44 AM
The title is miss leading he said he has a big lead but has not named any one starter.

PalmerToCJ
06-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Why do I keep hearing people say that Garcia isn't a good fit for the Bucs offense?

DeathbyStat
06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Is this really a shocker I don't think so

sweetness34
06-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Chris Simms was not good before he got injured. He was horrid last year, go check the stats.

princefielder28
06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Can't be suprised at all b/c Gruden doesn't like Simms anyways

Komp
06-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not surprised by this at all. Garcia is much better than Simms, who imo shouldn't be looked at as a franchise QB.

Staubach12
06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't see this working. Yes, both the Eagles and The Bucs run the WC. However, the Eagles run a more traditionl WC offense. The Bucs, on the other hand, run the Gruden system which is a more modified version. The Eagles run more designed rollouts and throws that make it easier on the QB. The Bucs don't roll out as much, and when they do, it's more mixed right and left (from what I saw) than the Eagles, who roll almost exclusively to the right. Garcia had great success rolling to the right, but I don't know how he'll do rolling to the left. The only success I saw him have rolling to the left was a short roll to the left which wasn't designed in New Orleans. Other than that, he always tried to go right. Also, if Garcia is rolling right in Tampa Bay, that could be a very bad thing. The right side of that line isn't what is was in Philly. So, he could be forced to go left or be killed in the process of rolling right. It might not seem like that big of a deal, but rolling out is Garcia's bread and butter. It could be a problem. Also, let's not forget Garcia hasn't been the most consistant QB through his career. Anyway, I see Garcia being below average with a few flashes of brilliance here and there.

Geo
06-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I've never seen the appeal in Chris Simms, I haven't been shy about saying that, and the fact that he lost the job so easily and early to Jeff Garcia of all people only speaks immensely to that.

(Of course Gruden wants Jake the Snake to come out of retirement, Plummer would be the best quarterback on the active roster if he did.)

Caddy
06-09-2007, 06:51 PM
The right side of that line isn't what is was in Philly.

The right side of the line is actually one of the only things Tampa has going for them now. With 2nd year guys Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood penciled in as starters that right side is probably the bright spot on an otherwise relatively inadequate line.

Phrost
06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Why do I keep hearing people say that Garcia isn't a good fit for the Bucs offense?

He is a perfect fit. Haven't heard that before.

Beans
06-09-2007, 08:08 PM
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Phrost
06-09-2007, 08:11 PM
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOLLLLLLL, simms sig. We should deal him to a team that runs a vertical offense. I think that he would excel in Detroit with all of those targets.

Tampa 2 4 life
06-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I highly doubt Garcia has learned our offense in 3 or so OTA's.

skinzzfan25
06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I highly doubt Garcia has learned our offense in 3 or so OTA's.

I highly doubt it's much different than his past team's offenses.

TheChampIsHere
06-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Bucs need to win now, Gruden is a guy whose job (not that I think it should be) is in jeapordy and he cant have another season like the last one and in that offense Garcia can be good. I felt like they signed Garcia to be the starter.

etk
06-10-2007, 07:36 AM
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

go away, stop rubbing it in

ks_perfection
06-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Im not surprised that Garcia is the starter since Gruden really liked him and never liked Simms too much. I don't like that he was named so early, you should wait until preseason atleast.

Addict
06-10-2007, 08:55 AM
wow, that's a bit harsh for simms isn't it?

NIN1984
06-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Not surprised by this at all, Gruden needs to win now and Garcia gives the Bucs the best chance to win the most games.

Stoopid512
06-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, if Gruden doesn't win right now, you'll see him filling a coaching vaccancy next year. My guess is he needs to win 8 or 9 to stay.

Caddy
06-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Did some of you actually read the article? It does not say Garcia is the starter, it says he has an early lead to win the job.

Acreboy
06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
wow, that's a bit harsh for simms isn't it?I always thought he was a career backup..

AlexDown
06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
http://tinyurl.com/3329q7

Geo
06-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, if Gruden doesn't win right now, you'll see him filling a coaching vaccancy next year. My guess is he needs to win 8 or 9 to stay.
I don't know about filling one, but he'll certainly be creating one.

StaticGator
06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
The right side of the line is actually one of the only things Tampa has going for them now. With 2nd year guys Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood penciled in as starters that right side is probably the bright spot on an otherwise relatively inadequate line.

I would say the right side is something to have hope for, not something that is already going.

Shiver
06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
No surprise to me. Actually I wish Chris Simms was the starter...

Watchman
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Utter nonsense. Simms has never been good. He has at times been average, at times he's shown flashes, and at times he's been horrid. In 2005 when Simms "lead" the Bucs to the playoffs the #1 D and a solid running game had more to do with the playoff berth than Simms.

In 2006 before he got hurt he was playing his way to the bench. The spleen injury just saved him from it.

The bottom line is he's never consistently proven himself and despite being in Gruden's system for +4 years he has never been able to answer that primary questions, is he the guy?

etk
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
No surprise to me. Actually I wish Chris Simms was the starter...

Wait, let me get this straight. You want us to beat you twice again? Cool by me...

Watchman
06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Chris Simms was not good before he got injured. He was horrid last year, go check the stats.

My god, a voice of reason.

Shiver
06-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Wait, let me get this straight. You want us to beat you twice again? Cool by me...

I find that funny, specifically because Chris Simms had nothing to do with those victories. (or losses, depending on perspective.)

Watchman
06-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I would say the right side is something to have hope for, not something that is already going.

I'd agree. I think Joseph will be solid this year. Trueblood had some growing pains last year, but I'm optimistic he'll progress. Run blocking on the right side should be improved, in previous years the Bucs rarely ran to the right.

brat316
06-11-2007, 07:01 PM
I think they pulled this move off because Gruden is scared, that he might lose his job. Garcia is good but come on as a back up yeah, he'll come in and win a few games for you but u cant expect him to start a whole season.

This is another example of a backup doing good/amazing and then he gets hyped up. Yes Gracia was not always a back up, but now he is.
Simms was doing fine puttin up nice numbers till he got a nice shot to the spline.

Shiver
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I think they pulled this move off because Gruden is scared, that he might lose his job. Garcia is good but come on as a back up yeah, he'll come in and win a few games for you but u cant expect him to start a whole season.

This is another example of a backup doing good/amazing and then he gets hyped up. Yes Gracia was not always a back up, but now he is.
Simms was doing fine puttin up nice numbers till he got a nice shot to the spline.

Uh, no he wasn't. Even in '05 he was only producing at a below average game-manager level.

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but he was still winning games.

brat316
06-11-2007, 07:10 PM
ITS ALL about that W

dbtb135
06-11-2007, 07:26 PM

The hype is all on Simms. He was ok, nothing great. This is news because Simms is now put in the backup slot, and people for some reason think he's better.

If all that mattered was winning, Simms would have not even been given the reigns in the first place. Griese was 5-1 as a starter and Chris only started because Griese went down. Chris went on to go 6-5 the rest of the season (playoff game included), and was 0-3 as a starter this year. Simms wasn't winning or playing well, he could barely get the ball over the LOS. Anyone who thinks he played well last year must have their head in the sand.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Newsflash: Gruden takes experienced veteran over youngster with potential at quarterback.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
The hype is all on Simms. He was ok, nothing great. This is news because Simms is now put in the backup slot, and people for some reason think he's better.

If all that mattered was winning, Simms would have not even been given the reigns in the first place. Griese was 5-1 as a starter and Chris only started because Griese went down. Chris went on to go 6-5 the rest of the season (playoff game included), and was 0-3 as a starter this year. Simms wasn't winning or playing well, he could barely get the ball over the LOS. Anyone who thinks he played well last year must have their head in the sand.

Griese got injured, that's why Simms went in, when he started playing well there was no reason to bench him.

Simms has all the tools, he just needs to put it all together, fact is his receivers simply aren't that great.

Shiver
06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but he was still winning games.

ITS ALL about that W

Because he had a great defense, as well as Carnell Williams tearing it up (when healthy). The only game he's ever 'won' was against Washington in the regular season game in '05. That's the only game where he played exceptionally well and therefore could be accredited with the 'win.' My personal pet peeve is the constant, nonsensical, attribution of every win/loss squarely on the Quarterback, by the way.

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't think so, I think he did well when he needed to in most games that he won, granted he got a great amount of support, but at the same time he did well. Sure the stats are skewed, but if he had a nice drive when it was needed, he can't be all bad.

Watchman
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't think so, I think he did well when he needed to in most games that he won, granted he got a great amount of support, but at the same time he did well. Sure the stats are skewed, but if he had a nice drive when it was needed, he can't be all bad.

Simms has really only had 1 really good game in his career. During the regular season vs. Skins in 05. Other than that it is some average play, some below average play, and some horrid play. He has never consistently proven that he can play at even an above average level. As a Buc fan I wish to god he would, because he represents the franchise's best option in terms of long term stability at the QB spot. But, he hasn't and Garcia being the early favorite is neither suprising nor disappointing based on Simms career to date.

Watchman
06-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Newsflash: Gruden takes experienced veteran over youngster with potential at quarterback.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Really?

Is that why Gruden started a rookie 6th round draft pick last year when Simms got hurt? It isn't like Tim Rattay, a 7 year vet, was sitting on the bench.

Garcia getting the early nod doesn't suprise me because he's a better QB than Simms. Despite the fact that he's an experienced veteran.

etk
06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I find that funny, specifically because Chris Simms had nothing to do with those victories. (or losses, depending on perspective.)

Very profound statement. Our starting QB had nothing to do with our victories.

Caddy
06-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I'd agree. I think Joseph will be solid this year. Trueblood had some growing pains last year, but I'm optimistic he'll progress. Run blocking on the right side should be improved, in previous years the Bucs rarely ran to the right.

Pessimists.

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Simms has really only had 1 really good game in his career. During the regular season vs. Skins in 05. Other than that it is some average play, some below average play, and some horrid play. He has never consistently proven that he can play at even an above average level. As a Buc fan I wish to god he would, because he represents the franchise's best option in terms of long term stability at the QB spot. But, he hasn't and Garcia being the early favorite is neither suprising nor disappointing based on Simms career to date.

Statistically yes, but there's been other occasions where he's played well at points in games to help his team win. Overall his stats might not have been great but on a day where he completes 50% of his passes for example doesn't matter if on one drive he goes 7/7 and 1 TD to close out the game and secure a win.

dbtb135
06-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Griese got injured, that's why Simms went in, when he started playing well there was no reason to bench him.

Simms has all the tools, he just needs to put it all together, fact is his receivers simply aren't that great.

What? I mentioned Simms going in due to Griese's injury!

This is going off of "winning games" posts that preceded mine. If all that mattered was winning games, we wouldn't have gotten rid of our 5-1 QB for the one who went 6-5. But we did.

Simms has had all the tools since we drafted him, but he's NEVER put it all together. The one year that he was declared THE guy, he played terrible for 3 games where he could barely get the ball over the DL, and then went down. Now, he's ever admitted he doesn't have his timing back even though he's 100%. So why is everyone backing this kid? Because he's younger, thats about it.

dbtb135
06-12-2007, 01:07 AM

If people can take away from Jeff Garcia's play, I don't see why they can't take away from Simms' on the same premise....

BlindSite
06-12-2007, 01:52 AM
I haven't said anything negative about Garcia, I think he's the better choice...

SuperKevin
06-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Sorry about the misleading title. ESPN titled it with the same title on their main page a few days back

ninerfan
06-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Clearly Garcia aint the future he's the now. Do they think they are playoff bound with him at the helm ? No I didnt think so either hand it to Simms and let the young guy get his confidence back and build cohesion

brat316
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
So this would suggest that the Bucs are out looking for a QB, next year, maybe Booty, Brennan, Henne,

etk
06-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Clearly Garcia aint the future he's the now. Do they think they are playoff bound with him at the helm ? No I didnt think so either hand it to Simms and let the young guy get his confidence back and build cohesion

Yes, exactly...
So this would suggest that the Bucs are out looking for a QB, next year, maybe Booty, Brennan, Henne,

Maybe Brohm if Garcia is running our offense...

Watchman
06-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Get his confidence back? First and foremost I would argue that Simms never displayed any level of confidence on the field, and any confidence he did show in 2005 was gone in 2006.

How long does it take for him to get his confidence? This isn't a 1st or 2nd year QB here. Simms is a lot closer to 30 than he is 20, and he's been in the league a while.

If Garcia is indeed the starter, as Gruden is hinting, that is a definite signal that the Bucs need to address the QB spot for the long haul, cause Garcia aint it.

Shiver
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Very profound statement. Our starting QB had nothing to do with our victories.

The QB position's impact on games is overstated to the extreme. Simms didn't do anything noteworthy, that a bunch of other Quarterbacks could easily have done as well, to 'win' those games. The only Quarterbacks that have a legitimate claim at the "QB W/L quota" is Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Maybe a few others. Chris Simms is more in the Trent Dilfer, 'along for the ride,' category.

etk
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
The QB position's impact on games is overstated to the extreme. Simms didn't do anything noteworthy, that a bunch of other Quarterbacks could easily have done as well, to 'win' those games. The only Quarterbacks that have a legitimate claim at the "QB W/L quota" is Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Maybe a few others. Chris Simms is more in the Trent Dilfer, 'along for the ride,' category.

I agree with your first statement, however it is unfair to give Simms 0 credit and say he had nothing to do with our victories and success in 05.

Moses
06-12-2007, 01:17 PM
People are making an awfully big deal about something that was said before training camp. Any of the 3 quarterbacks on Tampa Bay could be starting by week one. Until training camp happens, this talk is all meaningless.