PDA

View Full Version : Tom Zbikowski

Beenie54
06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I absolutely love to see him play!
What do you guys think of him? Is there a chance he will fall to the second round in the upcoming draft?

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
i really dont know what to think of him... ive heard he is a great player, ive heard he is overated, that he cant cover, that he can return kicks... ive heard so many different views on this kid i dont even know what to think... does anyone have a good scouting report on him or something... cause i cant in my right mind bring myself to watch more than 10 minutes of a Notre Dame football game...

badgerbacker
06-09-2007, 02:20 PM
From what I've seen he is a very tough player with great athletic ability. He hits pretty hard and is strong in run support, but struggles with coverage. At this point, he is certainly not a first rounder and probably not even a second rounder unless he can improve his pass coverage.

PACKmanN
06-09-2007, 02:21 PM
i really dont know what to think of him... ive heard he is a great player, ive heard he is overated, that he cant cover, that he can return kicks... ive heard so many different views on this kid i dont even know what to think... does anyone have a good scouting report on him or something... cause i cant in my right mind bring myself to watch more than 10 minutes of a Notre Dame football game...

If i remember right Scott had him ranked as the third or fourth best S in the draft before he went back to college.

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
If i remember right Scott had him ranked as the third or fourth best S in the draft before he went back to college.

really? what round grade did he have on him?.. and isnt he a 5th year senior? how old is this guy anyway

Paranoidmoonduck
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Zbikowski is going to have to improve markedly to be a 1st day pick in my opinion. He has all the hype that accompanies being a Notre Dame high profile player (plus the whole boxing thing), but he has yet to prove he can cover at all.

If he can prove that, then he's probably a late 1st - early 2nd rounder. If he plays like he did last year, he's a mid 2nd day pick.

Michigan
06-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Safeties that can't cover go in the second day or switch positions. Pretty simple.

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Safeties that can't cover go in the second day or switch positions. Pretty simple.

what could he switch to.. linebacker? can he tackle? or will he basically be a back up player who is good in the return game

neko4
06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
hes got all the athletic ability in the world, just needs to cover better, or put on 10-20 pounds and play LB

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
he doesnt look as though he has the room on his frame to do that though... i thnk he is pretty much maxed out bulk wise... maybe 5 more pounds.. that just from looking at him though i am no expert by any means

StaticGator
06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
special teamer

BigRed
06-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I personally really like the guy. He does get overhyped though and people have called him a first rounder simply because he is well-known for going to ND and of the boxing thing and everything but realistically i see him as a late second-early third rounder, providing he doesn't flop this season

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-09-2007, 05:16 PM
cause i cant in my right mind bring myself to watch more than 10 minutes of a Notre Dame football game...

Cuz of last years 41-17 spankin =).

Sniper
06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking a special-teamer at the NFL level. He is absolutely terrible at coverage, not just in one on one but struggles with giving support over the top. He could be a good return man, but because of the fact that he plays for ND, people highly overrate him

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-09-2007, 05:27 PM
He had a fantastic Sophomore year, and a down Junior year. People are basing where he goes on his Sophomore year mainly, and it's why he's in the first day all together. If he has another year like his Junior one, I personally wouldn't touch him till the 6th or 7th. If he has one like his Sophomore year or better, I'll take him in the 1st.

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Cuz of last years 41-17 spankin =).

haha that has nothing to do with it

BufFan71
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
i heard if he packs on another 10-15lbs he could play OLB in the NFL

jbeans187
06-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I dont think he has the frame to bulk up to olb, but no way hes a starting saftey in the NFL

Smokey Joe
06-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Zbikowski reminds me a lot of Todd Johnson. I think Zbikowski (based on how I think he will play this season) will be a 4th round pick (3rd at best), and be a good special teamer and return man, and a decent backup SS.

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 09:18 PM
he would have to be in a scheme like the bears, colts or maybe the bucs though.. he would need to be able to free flow and use his athletisism to get to the ball because i dont really think he has the strength to take on and dismiss blocks

Sniper
06-09-2007, 10:51 PM
He had a fantastic Sophomore year, and a down Junior year. People are basing where he goes on his Sophomore year mainly, and it's why he's in the first day all together. If he has another year like his Junior one, I personally wouldn't touch him till the 6th or 7th. If he has one like his Sophomore year or better, I'll take him in the 1st.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah first round isn't happening unless he gets 100 tackles, 10 picks and 7 forced fumbles. He is awful at coverage, hence why no one would touch him in the first.

fenikz
06-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Z is extremely overrated, if he played anywhere besides ND he would never be mentioned

Bem1
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
if any GM drafts zbikowski they should be fired on the spot. He is GARBAGE

-black
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
if any GM drafts zbikowski they should be fired on the spot. He is GARBAGE

thats a bit extreme

its amazing how much hate he is getting online

fenikz
06-10-2007, 03:21 AM
hate is a strong word, most just feel that there are a ton of better players / safeties than him

'cuse-213
06-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Theres nothing wrong with being a special teamer. Special Teams are mad fun.

bennybee38
06-10-2007, 10:25 AM
**** special teams

'cuse-213
06-10-2007, 10:29 AM
**** special teams

your pretty good at putting sigs in.

HoopsDemon12
06-10-2007, 11:34 AM
your pretty good at putting sigs in.

haha low blow

PACKmanN
06-10-2007, 12:59 PM
He going to be an Chris Carr type of player in the NFL. at 6'0 i don't think he will last at LB long.

HoopsDemon12
06-10-2007, 01:02 PM
He going to be an Chris Carr type of player in the NFL. at 6'0 i don't think he will last at LB long.

ya and even with the added bulk... i just dont think he would be that good there

Pittbc7
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
If he bounces back his senior year I think he will be a late first day/early second day prospect. It will be interesting to see what kind of measurables he puts up at the combine/pro day next year. He was sick in 2005 but fell off in 2006, I think alot of it had to do with him focusing on boxing to much in the offseason.

Purple N Proud
06-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Theres nothing wrong with being a special teamer. Special Teams are mad fun.

Special teams suck so bad dude. Nothing worse then starting off a long 2 a day practice taking drop steps and blocking or sprinting down after a punt. All the while the punters, kickers, and holders are just lounging around taking a kick every 15 seconds. We were always tired by stretching time.

Staubach12
06-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Tom Zbikowski is the kind of player that could develop into a real star with the development of a few skills, but could absolutely bust of he doesn't. He's a great run supporter, and I think everyone knows that. He covers a lot of ground, too. He can find the ball pretty well in most situations. He has the atheletic ability to be a pretty good cover guy, but he doesn't seem to have the focus. It seems as if he's always looking for the big hit or interception. If he would focus more on doing his own job, he'd a an NFL-caliber guy. However, that's much easier said than done. His instincts are messed up, and that may take some time to fix. As far as being a ST player, I think he'd be a pretty good ST guy, but not returning. He doesn't have the short area burst it takes to return kicks and punts in the NFL. He does have the long speed to be a good gunner or perhaps a wedge buster. His success in the NFL is up the air in my mind. It all depends on how many big plays he's willing to give up to be a consistant solid safety. As far as where he'll be drafted, I agree with JeffSamardzijaIRISH. It's all up the air this year. If he improves his coverage makes himself a more consistant player, and basically plays like he did his sophomore year then he could be a late first rounder with good workouts. However, if he playes his senior year the way he did this past year, I could see him falling to the 6th or 7th.

'cuse-213
06-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Special teams suck so bad dude. Nothing worse then starting off a long 2 a day practice taking drop steps and blocking or sprinting down after a punt. All the while the punters, kickers, and holders are just lounging around taking a kick every 15 seconds. We were always tired by stretching time.

I was talking more about the NFL. I have tons of respect towards players who are true "special teamers". They get less respect then lineman.

Bem1
06-10-2007, 08:00 PM
ok just so everyone knows Zbikowski is not a great run supporter. Hes a hard hitter that gets plowed over half the time. all he does is just run into people as fast as he can and half the time gets truck sticked. hes garbage at everything. hes good at nothing.

Michigan
06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
ok just so everyone knows Zbikowski is not a great run supporter. Hes a hard hitter that gets plowed over half the time. all he does is just run into people as fast as he can and half the time gets truck sticked. hes garbage at everything. hes good at nothing.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

dcarey20
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I think he's pretty overrated to be honest. I liken him alot to Adam Archuleta. He's an ok tackler, and he is a decent hitter, but he really struggles in coverage, and I think that will ultimately hold him back at the next level.

Sniper
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM

Bless you child. But I mean, he's a boxer! He plays for Notre Dame! Let's overrate him and give him more media attention than he ever deserved!

HoopsDemon12
06-11-2007, 09:02 AM

ya didnt think he had very good tackling skills... pure special teamer in the nfl... and special teams are fun IMO.. you get to run full speed into guys who have stoped dead in their tracks to turn around, thats some serious contact and is why special teams are the most fun to play... and i played ironman in highschool

Jughead10
06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Zibby has the athleticism and speed to improve his coverage. He is lack of coverage isn't because he is a slow stiff out there, thats for sure. In my opinion a lot of that was poor schemes and poor defensive coaching at Notre Dame. A lot of that can change this season. Zibby certainly can improve his draft stock a lot with a strong season. Right now I'd say solid third rounder but he could prove doubters wrongs and be a fringe first round pick in the 30-40 range.

IrishBrowns
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM

very surprised a notre dame fan would say that....not because of the whole bias thing...but that if he really knew that our defensive scheme was awful, which even the "took 2-3 years to learn"....well this is college, some of these kids only play for 2-3 years

anyways, with our new defensive scheme, I expect him to be a lot better and boost himself a lot this year. I expect him to be very good this year and put in a 3 good year out of 4.....he will probably have 2nd round talent after this year, but with his measurables, such as his height, he will drop to around round 3. The defense is gonna look much better this year...especially the secondary, and Tommy Z is gonna be a big part of that

jared
06-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Well

Considering he averages about 70-80 tackles a year (the same as say, Laron Landry), he must be running into people A LOT if he gets trucked half the time. He does lack some instincts and bites too much on play action, but I think people blame a lot of Notre Dame's coverage woes too much on Zibby and not enough on the surrounding cast and more importantly, defensive scheme/playcalling. He played close to the line quite a bit, was that his call or his coaches'? The boxing confirms his coordination and his sprinting background helps him to be one of the faster straight-line speed safety prospects for next year. He's a hell of an athlete. How come he's not getting the usual spiel about "having tons of upside and not even scratching the surface of his potential"? With a rebound year he could and should go late 1st/early 2nd.

Sniper
06-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Well

Considering he averages about 70-80 tackles a year (the same as say, Laron Landry), he must be running into people A LOT if he gets trucked half the time. He does lack some instincts and bites too much on play action, but I think people blame a lot of Notre Dame's coverage woes too much on Zibby and not enough on the surrounding cast and more importantly, defensive scheme/playcalling. He played close to the line quite a bit, was that his call or his coaches'? The boxing confirms his coordination and his sprinting background helps him to be one of the faster straight-line speed safety prospects for next year. He's a hell of an athlete. How come he's not getting the usual spiel about "having tons of upside and not even scratching the surface of his potential"? With a rebound year he could and should go late 1st/early 2nd.

Please don't put Zbikowski and Landry in the same paragraph. They had the same amount of tackles? OOOOOOOOOOO! Landry played in the SEC, Zbikowski played the Armed Forces. Zbikowski is atrocious in coverage. Put on weight and become a linebacker. Guy has NO shot at 1/2.

HoopsDemon12
06-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Please don't put Zbikowski and Landry in the same paragraph. They had the same amount of tackles? OOOOOOOOOOO! Landry played in the SEC, Zbikowski played the Armed Forces. Zbikowski is atrocious in coverage. Put on weight and become a linebacker. Guy has NO shot at 1/2.

well he has an outside shot.. but so do the bills at making the playoffs... and he is right landry and zbikowski dont belong in the same sprot yet alone the same paragraph IMO

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-13-2007, 11:40 PM
wow this thread is great.Zbikowski falling to the second?wtf?any team that drafts him to play S in the NFL will be very sorry indeed.