PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and least favorite acquisitions

49ersfan_87
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Which are your favorite and your least favorite acquisitions, the ones you think will succeed and not succeed? From Free Agency and trades, and from the draft. Both for your own team and other teams

49ers...

I think Nate Clements will succeed and he can be our #1 CB for the next 5 or so years. I think sam rayburn will be a decent addition on the DL, but nothing groundbreaking. I also think franklin will prove to be an average-above average NT. While he wont be the future i believe he will be a good backup/decent starter.

As for not succeeding, i think Ashley Lelie will be a minor FA bust. I like that we picked him up for peanuts, but i think hes a 1 year stopgap. I dont see him on the roster in 08, and if some other receviers have a good camp, he could be out this year. Colby Bockwoldt might not make the roster, but then again, he is Colby Bockwoldt..maybe Michael Lewis also. He had a bad year in Philly, and hopefully he can regain his pro-bowl form.

Other teams..

I see Eric Steinbach being successful in Cleveland next to Joe Thomas. I like ovie mughelli and think he will be a good lead blocker for guys like norwood and dunn. Wes Welker to the pats i am high on as well. I felt he was under-rated and he could do well if he gets his opportunities, but at the very least he could impact the return game. Dre Bly will benefit playing next to champ and have a good year.

For the bad..I see langston walker being a bust. I thought he was terrible and was surprised to see him get that contract. Im also a bit weary about Takeo Spikes...he really looked bad this past season, and who knows how he could bounce back. I was surprised to see the broncos sign daniel graham, when scheffler looked promising. I dont like graham.

Addict
06-10-2007, 02:35 PM
for the Lions

the good:

Calvin Johnson - best thing to have happened to the team all off-season.

the bad:

Can't really think of one, I haven't seen too much of our FA signings, I wasn't happy about Zack Piller but he got released again.

the Ugly:

We still don't have a damn TE and the secondary still sucks.

PACKmanN
06-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Best FA- I guess the draft
Worst FA- I guess the hole fa period

Splat
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Chiefs

Best - Donnie Edwards While I don't like his age he has never had a major injury and is in great shape having DJ pick his brain is way worth only having him for a year or two.

Worst - Second round pick Claude 'Turk' McBride I think we reached on him and should have went OL with this pick.

neko4
06-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Best FA- I guess the draft
Worst FA- I guess the hole fa period

seriously...

Incinerator
06-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Eagles:

I think that the best pickup this offseason is probably Takeo Spikes. He will really help a weak LB corps, if he returns to his ability level from before the Achilles. Otherwise I'd say its Tony Hunt, he's a big back that can move the pile which is something the Eagles havn't had in a while.

The worst pickup is probably Kelly Holcomb, since he'll either be the 3rd QB on the team, if he's even kept. I know he was just thrown in with the trade, but he wont play over AJ Feely. Or Kolb could fit here as well since the Eagles could have gotten a much better player that would have made an impact this year at that pick.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Falcons:

Best: Ovie Mughelli
Worst: Milner?

BuckNaked
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Best: Adrian Peterson
Worst: Vinny Ciurciu, Vishante Shiancoe and Bobby Wade. We overpayed all of them

PalmerToCJ
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Bengals

Best addition - Marvin White: Good value at the spot and has a mean streak our defense so desperately needs.

Worst addition - Hard to pick one really, what few FA's we signed were low risk guys so even if they don't pan out it's no big deal and I liked the draft.

remix 6
06-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Patriots

Best: Thomas..he'll provide a new spark to the D

Least: Welker..we gave up too much for a slot WR imo

JK17
06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
For the Chargers....

Best: Bringing back Kris Dielman probably has to be the best "aquisition". We don't make many FA splashes so this is a tough question for Charger fans.

Worst: Probably would have to say Craig Davis, just my default. 30 wasn't good value, and he was one of our very few additions anyway, so that makes things tough.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Baltimore Ravens:

Favorite= The draft class

Least Favorite= Willis McGahee

dcarey20
06-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Baltimore Ravens

Favorite Acquisition: Willis McGahee, RB

He's happy, motivated, is playing on a better offense, and is running behind a better line. He's been one of my favorite players since he has entered the league and he is going to have a great year.

Least Favorite: None, if I really had to choose I guess I'd go with 6th round pick Prescott Burgess, because I really wanted Brandon Siler. But I don't mind that pick at all, so I didn't really have a least favorite.

Other Teams

Favorite: Wes Welker to the Patriots

He's one of the most underrated acquisitions of the offseason. I really like him as a player. His versatility will be perfect with New England, and he just seems like a guy that is a great fit for their offense. He'll contribute as a return man, and as a 3rd target. With the way Brady spreads the ball around, I think he could be one of the most productive slot receivers in the game.

Least Favorite Joey Porter to the Dolphins

I have no clue why they paid him all that money. He's one of the most overrated players in the league, and has been for the past few years. He struggled terribly to put pressure on the quarterback last year, while he was playing in a scheme where he is suppossed to excel in that area.

elway777
06-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Broncos-

Favorite-Travis Henry
-Perfect fit for our system, and great improvement from Tatum Bell.

Least Favorite-Daniel Graham
-Good but not "great" player who is getting a "great" contract.

Gridiron
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Jets

Good - RB Thomas Jones

Bad - Nothing. The only questionable move was throwing a lot of money at DE Kenyon Coleman, but besides that, everything was zero risk, high reward.

dcarey20
06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Patriots

Best: Thomas..he'll provide a new spark to the D

Least: Welker..we gave up too much for a slot WR imo

First off I think they gave a reasonable contract to Welker. Not only will he be a great slot receiver, but he will contribute in the return game as well. They gave up a 2nd rounder for him as well, but I honestly don't feel there were many 2nd rounders that would make more of an impact than him.

Now, the worst move for the Pats in my opinion was picking up Kelley Washington. I kinda liked it at first, but then they went out and got Randy Moss. That moved Washington into the 5th/6th wide receiver hunt. He has ability, but he's not guaranteed to beat out Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, or even Troy Brown. There's a chance he could be the 7th or 8th guy on the depth chart. Washington only has 19 grabs over the past 2 years. They gave him 5 years, 22 million I believe. That's money that could potentially go toward an Asante Samuel contract. I know the Pats probably structured the contract so that it won't hurt them too much if he doesn't work out, but I still don't like it.

Michigan
06-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Lions
Best:
Edwin Mulitalo

Worst:
Drew Stanton

ks_perfection
06-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Bucs
Best: Luke Petitgout. He's a just a decent Tackle, but a definite upgrade over Davis. Got him for a very reasonable price given how much Guards were being paid.

Worst: Plummer. Luckly This will only cost the Bucs a 7th rounder since he's retiring, but even still I don't get why Gruden traded for him while bringing in Garcia.

remix 6
06-10-2007, 07:31 PM
DC Carey:
we gave up a 2nd and a new good contract to Welker

he did well as a slot WR..nothing spectacular in terms of talent but hes a player that BB likes. as a returnman..our own returnmen have been better

fine if we gave up a 4th or something but a 2nd? Moss was worth a 4th..Welker a 2nd?

Acreboy
06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Saints

Favorite: Usama Young, 3rd Rd pick.

Least Favorite: Marvin Mitchell 7th Rd pick.

TacticaLion
06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Lions

Favorite move: Getting rid of Dre' "I ***** a lot" Bly.

Favorite part of the off-season: The draft. CJ, Stanton and young, talented defenders... each player hard-working without character concerns.

Least favorite move: Getting rid of James Hall for a 5th. I liked him, but the coaches had a reason for doing so.

Least favorite part of the off-season: Tagging Cory Redding. It's a shame we couldn't get a contract in place.

Move I wanted to happen that didn't: We still have Shaun Rogers, who needs to be traded.

Overall grade: B+. Still questions at MLB and CB, but the QB, RB, WR, OL, DE and S positions have been improved with hard-working, "Marinelli"-guys.

sweetness34
06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Good:

Anthony Adams - Very effective DT in the system we run. Should provide nice depth.

Greg Olsen - Adds a speed/playmaking dimension to the TE position

Adam Archuleta - Gave up a 6th rounder for him, and he thrives in the system we run. Hopefully he returns to his form from his St. Louis days, if he does our defense is going to be that much better.

Bad:

None really. Possibly Thomas Jones because he was a great leader but I think Cedric will produce more than TJ this year.

Caddy
06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Buccaneers

Best - I really like the acquisition of Gaines Adams via the draft and I think he will provide an impact pass rush which we have lacked over the last 12 months. Via free agency, the guy I think will make a big impact is Cato June on the strongside. He will be slot into a position he is relatively familiar with and should be an upgrade over Ryan Nece.

Worst - I personally do not dislike any other pickups this off season so I don't really have anything to complain about. Maybe the trade for Ryan Sims.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Falcons

Favorite: Joe Horn(Finally gives us a reliable reciever)

Least Favorite: Joey Harrington(shouldn't even be in the league IMO)

scottyboy
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Giants: favorite- either Ross or Droughns. Giants got a vet runner who hadrushed for over 1,000 yards earlier in his career, for literaly nothing in tim carter. Ross gives them a young playmaker in the secondary.

least favorite- my least favorite move was by cutting Luke Petitgout. At least try and work out a contract deal or trade him. Least favorite acquisition is Kawika Mitchell, but ONLY because it hurts Blackburns shot at starting

stl9erfan
06-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm going to go league-wide "under the radar" moves because I think some of the best moves (Adalius Thomas to NE, Clements to SF, etc.) have been discussed to death.

BEST:

Travis Henry to the Broncos-- nobody really talks about this one, but it's a BRILLIANT signing, IMO. Henry has been one of the most underrated backs in the league in recent years, and he's going to a system that just churns out 1000 yard rushers. Going to be a huge year for the Broncos offense with Cutler taking the next step and Henry taking handoffs.

Darrell Jackson to SF-- Great move that addressed SF's biggest need for just a 4th round pick while taking a proven playmaker from a division foe. If a couple of calls had gone differently in the SB a couple of years back, he could have won MVP in the year's biggest game against one of the league's best defenses.

Rams, Chris Draft and Drew Bennett signings-- I have to give credit where credit's due, and these two moves fit perfectly for what the Rams needed. Draft fills a gaping hole at OLB and should gel quickly with a defensive unit that includes his former teammate, Will Witherspoon at MLB. As for Bennett, in the days of Martz, the Rams were content to spread the field with four or five speedster WRs, but no more under Linehan. Bennett brings the kind of size and possession WR skills that should be a perfect complement to Torry Holt and really help StL out with a big time threat in the red zone.

Michael Okwo to the Bears in the draft-- Brilliant pick, IMO. If Briggs leaves, or doesn't show up to training camp, or whatever, they drafted a guy ho can really fill in and do a great job.

Eric Johnson to the Saints-- Smart move that gives Drew Brees a capable, quick inside target who can find soft spots in coverage and really complement the speed of Henderson and Colston out wide with smarts and soft hands underneath and over the middle.

SuperMcGee
06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Best - The whole first day of the draft. Filled our two biggest needs with great players, and got a backup QB that I'm very comfortable with for whatever his future holds for us.

Worst - Langston Walker. Ecch.

Denver Bronco99
06-11-2007, 12:19 AM
BRONCOS

Best-Daniel Graham
--he is one of the most complete TEs and he is a devastating blocker...along with henry he will dramatically help the run game

worst-Alvin Mckinly
--bates like the big DTs mckinly is not big

Bills2083
06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Best - Derrick Dockery - He will help solidify the left side of our Oline. He and Peters will become a force to be reckoned with.

Worst - Langston Walker - With Oakland's terrible line last year, I dont know if I want someone who was a cause of that on my team.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
For the Bears
Best Offseason Move - Drafting Greg Olsen. Olsen will be an immediate upgrade to the offense and will be able to take some pressue off of Rex with his playmaking ability

Worst Offseason Move - Trading Thomas Jones. I think this may prove to be a big mistake by the Bears front office. I just have this feeling that Benson does not have what it takes to be a number 1 guy. I dont see why we traded a proven commodity to let an unproven guy take over.

For the Patriots
Best Offseason Move - Trading for Randy Moss/Acquiring 49ers 1st pick next year. Getting a number 1 receiver for a 4th round pick should be considered grand larceny. As long as Moss behaves himself and performs up to the hype this will be the best acqusition in awhile. Gaining that extra 1st rounder again next year could be crucial, especially with the linebacking corps getting up there in age and the Asante Samuel situation up in the air right now. It would be nice to add another LB and CB.

Worst Offseason Move - Signing Kelley Washington. Not that this is a terrible move, but there is a good amount of depth at WR now with Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Jackson, Caldwell, and Stallworth. Washington is just going to add depth as of now.

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
For the Panthers: None because we didn't exactly acquire any one that good or bad.

David Carr would probably top the list for the reason he gives us a backup who could potentially do something more.

george_allen
06-16-2007, 01:18 PM
rams

good -

offense : randy mcmichael - adds an above average target across the middle and larger red-zone target which was previously missing, as well as better pass blocking and run blocking, plus he comes to the team already experienced in linehans system. this guy adds to solid offense at every facet and should hit the ground running.

defense : 1a) carriker 1b) hall - plugging these two guys into the line with leonard little should be one of those "the-whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts" situations. 1c) the 6th round pick for jimmy kennedy.

bad -

offense : while i like the drew bennet acquisition, i quibble over the amount of cap hit he costs.

defense : acquiring nothing for jerametrius butler, but his salary was unreasonable so it's understandable.

league overall - adalius thomas to new england- i shutter to think of the devistation that belichick will reigned down upon the league wielding this guy. i think the league office should have stepped in and stopped this move like the government in an anti-trust suit.

Man_Of_Steel
06-16-2007, 01:49 PM
For the Steelers

Favorite- Kevin Barlow (via FA, Steelers arent really active in FA so hes realy the only other guy), Daniel Sepuleveda (via draft)

Horrible- Sean Mahan (via FA), Matt Speath (via draft)

SeanTaylorRIP
06-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Favorite Every single move this offseason cept 1

Least Favorite:Tyler Ecker.

remix 6
06-16-2007, 02:55 PM
For the Bears
Best Offseason Move - Drafting Greg Olsen. Olsen will be an immediate upgrade to the offense and will be able to take some pressue off of Rex with his playmaking ability

Worst Offseason Move - Trading Thomas Jones. I think this may prove to be a big mistake by the Bears front office. I just have this feeling that Benson does not have what it takes to be a number 1 guy. I dont see why we traded a proven commodity to let an unproven guy take over.

For the Patriots
Best Offseason Move - Trading for Randy Moss/Acquiring 49ers 1st pick next year. Getting a number 1 receiver for a 4th round pick should be considered grand larceny. As long as Moss behaves himself and performs up to the hype this will be the best acqusition in awhile. Gaining that extra 1st rounder again next year could be crucial, especially with the linebacking corps getting up there in age and the Asante Samuel situation up in the air right now. It would be nice to add another LB and CB.

Worst Offseason Move - Signing Kelley Washington. Not that this is a terrible move, but there is a good amount of depth at WR now with Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Jackson, Caldwell, and Stallworth. Washington is just going to add depth as of now.

the way u make it seem for Washington is that we got him when we had a ton of depth. We signed him before trading for Moss so it was okay. if we knew we were going to get Moss..i too would be dissapointed with Washington. 1st of all..hes dropped a lot in minicamp..and second of all. were loaded.