PDA

View Full Version : 49ers turned down Randy Moss

49ersfan_87
06-10-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/6109

When the Raiders (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/13) were shopping receiver Randy Moss (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/469), they called the 49ers (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/25). But 49ers (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/25) vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan, who probably had the Antonio Bryant (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/1225) situation in mind, said the 49ers (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/25) weren't interested. When assessing that situation, and weighing Moss, McCloughan felt more things needed to be in place in the locker room -- namely more veteran leaders.

What do people think of this? The 49ers ended up trading for Darrell Jackson instead of Randy Moss. Obviously Randy Moss is better than Jackson, but if work ethic/character was a issue, than i would take jackson. Obviously the 49ers chose jackson.

(And, i know this is possibly team board material. But were so devoid of news at this time, i thought it would be ok. But if it isnt, feel free to lock)

Paul
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I gotta agree with the Antonio Bryant reference. When you have a young QB, you don't need someone who has the potential to blow up on them when making a mistake. When I first saw Bryant showing up Smith on that errant pass, I really wanted to kick him in the balls, you just can't do that to a QB, much less and young one. And Moss has always had that reputation to have rocky relationships with his QB's, and IMO it's due to his imposing personality. He does want to win, he does want to score those TD's, despite some of his actions. And if You put him with a young a still developing team, you may have to worry about him blowing up or giving up, if things go bad.

Bigburt63
06-10-2007, 05:14 PM
i agree, in order for randy moss to not destroy a team he needs to be on a team with alot of veteran leadership. thats why i think he will do fine in new england

zoinks
06-10-2007, 05:23 PM
There are very few teams in the league where Moss would have been a good fit.

IMO, Moss needed to go to a team that really didn't need him....a team that had a very strong leader at QB, and would be fine with or without Moss.

New England was the perfect fit. I also think Moss would have been very productive in Indy, but I wouldn't call it a good fit....I just don't know that he would have fit into their philosophy.

skinzzfan25
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
The 49ers have a young team and need veteran leadership. Jackson brings good play and leadership to the table. The last thing they need is somebody to implode in their lockeroom and create trouble.

princefielder28
06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
The 49ers are developing an organization with high character guys that want to play the game of football and Randy Moss would've been a hinderance in that process

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-10-2007, 08:23 PM
The Niners made the right decision Jackson can catch.

NIN1984
06-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Moss would have been a nightmare for Alex Smith, smart move by the 49ers.

Stash
06-10-2007, 10:11 PM
It wouldn't have been a good combo anyway. Moss can only run deep routes and Alex Smith doesn't have a very strong arm.

rainbeaukid2
06-10-2007, 10:35 PM
It wouldn't have been a good combo anyway. Moss can only run deep routes and Alex Smith doesn't have a very strong arm.

no, he has a pretty strong arm

Borat
06-10-2007, 11:35 PM

Yes, Alex has a very strong arm. He doesn't throw an accurate deep ball though.

Vikes99ej
06-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't know if I would ever turn my nose up at Randy Moss. I think I would do anything to have him back now. Oh wait.... he's 31.

VY10
06-11-2007, 11:02 AM
It was a good decision. I really really don't like Randy Moss and most teams don't want him in the locker room despite what he has the potential to do on the field.

Addict
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM

he doesn't in Madden, that's what makes him crappy.

On topic though, I think a wise move by the Niners, Moss needs to win or else he becomes a pain in the groin, which he showed in Oakland... 49ers are improving, but they can't be sure of enough wins to keep Randy happy, hence the move will hurt them probably.

Komp
06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
This thread is sort of pointless. Every team in the NFL except the Pats turned down Randy Moss.

eacantdraft
06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Why would the 49ers want Jake to poison their locker room of young players and a young coach?

The 49ers are several players away from being a Super Bowl contender and they run an offense that is probably too conservative for Jake's taste.

neko4
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
TO
Antonio Bryant
Randy Moss
No Way
If he gets to be trouble again then it will be the 3rd WR to be a problem in SF

stl9erfan
06-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Seriously, Madden? Come on, that's the best evidence you've got?

Smith's arm strength is average to slightly above average for an NFL QB. He can make all the throws, which is good enough for me. If anyone thinks it was Smith's arm strength that kept this trade from going down, you haven't been paying much attention to either the Raiders or 49ers in recent years.

ks_perfection
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM

On topic though, I think a wise move by the Niners, Moss needs to win or else he becomes a pain in the groin, which he showed in Oakland... 49ers are improving, but they can't be sure of enough wins to keep Randy happy, hence the move will hurt them probably.

The problem with Madden is they rate a players naturally athleticism based on how well they play. If 1 player does great his speed/Acceleration/Agility will go up, if he does crappy next season those ratings will all drop, next year he does well again the running ratings will jump way up again. His running ability wouldn't change much but to make the player play worse they'll tinker with his naturally athleticism to make his rating alot worse.

Same is true with QBs, if they do well there Throwing Power will go up and if they bomb it will drop. It wouldn't drop as much as accuracy or awarness but it will change even though the players throwing strength doesn't change.

HoopsDemon12
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
such a smart move on their part... they have good young core that can play and doesnt get into trouble... who wants a declining reciever anyway, usualyl the raiders take em and well hell even they didnt want him

49ersfan_87
06-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Seriously, Madden? Come on, that's the best evidence you've got?

It was probably a joke...after reading most of addicts posts, im sure it was a joke. He seems like an easy going guy.

Paul
06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
People it was joke by Addict.

brat316
06-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah he does suck in madden he always ends up in FA when i play francise mode in Madden.

If Moss had better Character the SF would take him, but yeah its all about the character espically now.

HoopsDemon12
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
garauntee you it was a joke... no one would seriously in their right mind use madden as a way to rate players

CC.SD
06-11-2007, 05:42 PM
How is this still a conversation?

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
After the Terrell Owens saga in San Fran I could not see them dealing with someone who had the potential to be just like Owens if the situation oes bad.

Xonraider
06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm sure they had heard some of those Moss' screams when the Niners played the Raiders...

Larry
06-11-2007, 11:09 PM

LOl madden, ok tool.

yourfavestoner
06-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Exactly. Moss' original problem with Minnesota is that they could never assemble a team that could win consistently. When he went to Oakland, many considered them to be a rebuilt team on the rise. They had added Lamont Jordan, Warren Sapp, they drafted Robert Gallery, and signed Kerry Collins to run a deep ball offense. Well, it flopped, and Moss stopped trying. New England was the perfect destination for him, especially because they have a strong willed quarterback who Moss won't be able to push around when he gets frustrated.

Addict
06-12-2007, 12:00 PM
People it was joke by Addict.

Thanks, glad you got it.

It was probably a joke...after reading most of addicts posts, im sure it was a joke. He seems like an easy going guy.

Actually I'm a pain in the groin... but thanks.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Exactly. Moss' original problem with Minnesota is that they could never assemble a team that could win consistently. When he went to Oakland, many considered them to be a rebuilt team on the rise. They had added Lamont Jordan, Warren Sapp, they drafted Robert Gallery, and signed Kerry Collins to run a deep ball offense. Well, it flopped, and Moss stopped trying. New England was the perfect destination for him, especially because they have a strong willed quarterback who Moss won't be able to push around when he gets frustrated.

I'm entirely sure how accurate this is. There is no way to assert that Moss' problem in Minnesota was a lack of winning. Hell, the Vikings averaged over 9 wins while Moss was wearing purple anyhow.

What we do know is that he was in a situation where the coaching staff served him, he was thrown the ball early and often, and his offense put up big scores. There he was only moderately happy and still didn't stay out of trouble.

Now he's in a situation where the coaching staff won't serve him at all, his production will be sapped by a huge stable of wide receivers, and there is question how big a role he will play in those big score victories.

I don't worry about how he'll interact with his teammates. He interacted with them well in Minnesota, he did the same in Oakland. However, if he feels even slightly dissatisfied with the coaching, we know he'll take plays off. If he get frustrated, either by losing or lack of balls being thrown his way, we'll see what we saw in Oakland.