PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed

D-Fence
06-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I've seen alot of people have him ranked as one of the top WRs in the 2008 Draft, but where would he have stacked up in this past draft class? I got in this argument on another board, people were talking about he'd have been no better than a mid-3rd pick...I'm not buying that.

PACKmanN
06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
IMO he would have been an early to mid second round pick

-black
06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I have said it then and will say it now. Sweed is overated. He has good size, good leaping ability and nice acceleration but he is NOT better than Dwayne Jarrett. If Jarrett went in the 2nd round then Sweed would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick. I see many having him as the top WR going in the draft, he is overated to me. Not a bad player by any means, but not as good as some are making him out to be

ATLDirtyBirds
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Late First-Mid second. He's above Jarrett, imo.

-black
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM

no where near IMO

Sniper
06-10-2007, 09:28 PM

Not a chance. No way in hell. -black you also have to remember Sweed could go higher than Jarrett did because I don't expect this year's class of WRs to be as good as DJ's. Jarrett should have been the #2 wideout taken though

Crow
06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Jarrett should have been the #2 wideout taken though
Obviously everyone in the NFL disagrees.

Acreboy
06-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I have said it then and will say it now. Sweed is overated. He has good size, good leaping ability and nice acceleration but he is NOT better than Dwayne Jarrett. If Jarrett went in the 2nd round then Sweed would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick. I see many having him as the top WR going in the draft, he is overated to me. Not a bad player by any means, but not as good as some are making him out to beI always thought Jarrett>Meachem..

So you are right.

princefielder28
06-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Manningham
Jackson
Bowman
Sweed?

Acreboy
06-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Manningham
Jackson
Bowman
Sweed?
Doucet missing?

-black
06-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Manningham
Jackson
Bowman
Sweed?

Malcom Kelly>Sweed

Acreboy
06-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Malcom Kelly>SweedBy a far margin.

Sniper
06-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Obviously everyone in the NFL disagrees.

Sorry, I thought I was entitled to an opinion.

-black
06-10-2007, 10:18 PM
By a far margin.

yep.....my top WR going into the season.

Kelly's soph season>any in Sweeds career

Acreboy
06-10-2007, 10:23 PM
yep.....my top WR going into the season.

Kelly's soph season>any in Sweeds careerI still think Doucet has more potential.

jbeans187
06-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I agree with -black

etk
06-10-2007, 10:35 PM
He really doesn't impress or stand out with anything but leaping ability for jump balls. He's definitely overrated at the moment but his stock should decline once scouts evaluate his tape and judge how his skills relate to the pros. I doubt he will impress in workouts too. Sweed's probably a 2nd-3rd rounder to a WCO team. He's more like Maurice Stovall than Roy Williams.

-black
06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
He really doesn't impress or stand out with anything but leaping ability for jump balls. He's definitely overrated at the moment but his stock should decline once scouts evaluate his tape and judge how his skills relate to the pros. I doubt he will impress in workouts too. Sweed's probably a 2nd-3rd rounder to a WCO team. He's more like Maurice Stovall than Roy Williams.

pretty good comparison, i was looking for one.

simms2clayton
06-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I compared Limas Sweed to Terrell Owens. I know T.O. is a great player, but their skill set is a lot alike.

MNRunLeft
06-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Earl Bennett is better than Sweed IMO

hornybastard
06-11-2007, 03:27 AM
Sweed is slow his hands are eh and his leaping is ability in pretty good. He's about a 2nd-3rd round pick unless he has a huge career, but NFL Scouts just care about what he does at the Combine. I mean I don't like USC but Jarrett is the all-time leading TD leader and has a below average time and he gets picked in the 2nd while Ginn Jr. who was good but not nearly the career Jarrett had but he's fast so he goes 9th? Yea scouts just care about the combine.lol.

HoopsDemon12
06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Not a chance. No way in hell. -black you also have to remember Sweed could go higher than Jarrett did because I don't expect this year's class of WRs to be as good as DJ's. Jarrett should have been the #2 wideout taken though

dont expect this class to be as good? really... sure there is not CJ but if these juniors declare this class could be better and more deep... if thats possible, than last years wide reciever group

VY10
06-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Anyone remember his catch against Ohio State? That's my permanent image of Limas.

Scout49
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
right now I see Sweed as a late 1st rounder. I look for him to have a big time season this year. I would say he's a poor man's Roy Williams .

etk
06-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I would compare him poor mans Roy Williams .

I compared Limas Sweed to Terrell Owens. I know T.O. is a great player, but their skill set is a lot alike.

Doesn't have the speed or separation ability, sorry.

-black
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
the only thing he has in commin with Roy Williams is their school and position. They are not comparable (even poor mans version) at all

etk
06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
the only thing he has in commin with Roy Williams is their school and position. They are not comparable (even poor mans version) at all

I didn't wanna be that harsh, -black, but you are right...

ricky bobby
06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
He's going to be an old rookie. He was born in '83 I believe, maybe '84. That would make him a 25 year old rookie.

Flyboy
06-11-2007, 02:28 PM
He's going to be an old rookie. He was born in '83 I believe, maybe '84. That would make him a 25 year old rookie.

Much like Aaron Ross.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I see Muhsin Muhammed/Dwayne Bowe in this kid. He's a great prospect, albeit a little overrated. Great hands, good leaping abillity, above-average speed for his position+height. The only thing he's really lacking is production, and it's not like he's been unproductive.

If all the people who can potentially come out next year, does, then next years class is even better than this years imo. In -black's prospect rankings, if I can remember correctly, his 13/14th rated player had a 1st round ranking. Then most of the other players had a legit 2nd/3rd round ranking. There's no CJ in that class(yet), but its depth and star-studded talent is rediculous. Jackson, Manningham, Bennet, Bowman all can be picked in the first 15 picks, and there's probably some other people I'm forgetting.

-black
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
i do not believe i gave any ratings (round wise) to any prospect but I did list potential in some analysis. Potential is just that though, I have them ranked in order of how i felt going into the season. It will be updated soon though

ricky bobby
06-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I see Muhsin Muhammed/Dwayne Bowe in this kid. He's a great prospect, albeit a little overrated. Great hands, good leaping abillity, above-average speed for his position+height. The only thing he's really lacking is production, and it's not like he's been unproductive.

If all the people who can potentially come out next year, does, then next years class is even better than this years imo. In -black's prospect rankings, if I can remember correctly, his 13/14th rated player had a 1st round ranking. Then most of the other players had a legit 2nd/3rd round ranking. There's no CJ in that class(yet), but its depth and star-studded talent is rediculous. Jackson, Manningham, Bennet, Bowman all can be picked in the first 15 picks, and there's probably some other people I'm forgetting.
lol, have you ever met a WR that you haven't liked? You should look for a front office job in Detroit.

Don Vito
06-11-2007, 04:50 PM

College jersey number too! i like Sweed but this is a very deep wr class when you look at EB, Manningham, Jackson, Bowman, Doucet, Kelly, and perhaps even a guy like Marcus Monk who could see his stock rise. I do think that Sweed will end up a first round pick, however. Colt McCoy improved greatly last season and Sweed is always going to be a mismatch at the college level with his great size and above-average speed. If he has a big year production-wise , which I think he will, he should end up a first rounder. Keep in mind that Jarret's 4.7 40 time is mainly what kept him out of round 1, and Sweed figures to run around 4.5-4.55 at basically the same size (6-5 220). He reminds me of Javon Walker, with a little less speed.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
A couple years ago I thought of Sweed as a guy who could make the big catch and disappear for the rest of the game. Today, I think of him in much of the same way.

He's improved his consistency noticeably, but I certainly do not see a receiving force in Sweed.

-black
06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I dont think Sweed will test all that impressive either.....4.6 at best IMO

VY10
06-11-2007, 07:34 PM
A couple years ago I thought of Sweed as a guy who could make the big catch and disappear for the rest of the game. Today, I think of him in much of the same way.

He's improved his consistency noticeably, but I certainly do not see a receiving force in Sweed.

Yup, but I'll take it.

http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/sweed_limas_ohiost_300.jpg

Scout49
06-11-2007, 10:37 PM
You know what guy's I have to tell you the truth, I didn't ever really study Sweed very much before making my Comparison saying a poor mans Roy Williams and I went on youtube to look at a couple highlight films on him to refresh my memory and he acually reminds me alot of Drew Bennett or Micheal Clayton. What do you guys think of that comparison??

Crow
06-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Sorry, I thought I was entitled to an opinion.
Of course you are. All I sais was that most people disagree with you.

etk
06-12-2007, 09:30 AM
You know what guy's I have to tell you the truth, I didn't ever really study Sweed very much before making my Comparison saying a poor mans Roy Williams and I went on youtube to look at a couple highlight films on him to refresh my memory and he acually reminds me alot of Drew Bennett or Micheal Clayton. What do you guys think of that comparison??

I think Drew Bennett works well. I wouldn't say Clayton because he can't block as well while Clayton is more of a possession type whereas Sweed loves the jump ball.

Maurice Stovall and Marcus Robinson work fine for me...

foozball
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
i think sweed is pretty good. his speed i think is a little better than people think. remember...even when there were reports of Calvin Johnson running in the 4.3's, people were still doubting his timed speed. why? i dont know, maybe it's because these 6'5 WR's just look slower because of their size. i'm guessing he runs in the 4.55 area...under 4.6 at least

his hands are good, not great
his ballskills and vision are very good
leaping ability is good
route running isnt bad, but does need to run crisper routes
he's not overly physical, but he doesnt shy away from contact
not to mention the guy is 6'5 220lbs

looks like a solid #2 type receiver with more upside than just a possession guy. late 1st round grade.

Gchu83
06-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I seem almost every game Sweed has played at UT. I do question why some have him ranked as the #2 WR in next year's class but I do think he is worth a 1st Round selection none the less. He is a big play WR that is a HUGE target in the red zone. My biggest knock on Sweed is that he tends to disappear from time to time. But he has pretty good hands and has never shyed away from contact or crossing the middle.

Sweed is a guy that can catch a lot of TD passes and that matters a lot.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Highlight films are worthless.