PDA

View Full Version : Who is the NFL's One Major Icon?

Paul
06-11-2007, 12:33 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it's worth it's own.

....this brings up a question I always had. The other primary sports all have one significant legendary figure. Someone who's name, when uttered is instantly recognizable by hardcore sports fans and and non-sport fans alike. They are Icons who epitomize the essence of there sport. You mention the sport and there name coincides with it, and vice-versa. Guys who seem to transcend there respected sport. For basketball it is Jordan, baseball it's Babe Ruth, and NHL it's Gretzky. But does football have this one significant figure? Or is football to much of a team sport to even narrow it down just to one guy? Just something I always thought about.

And for what it's worth I think it would Vince Lombardi. For me when I think football I think of that hat, the power sweep and the name on that trophy. Everything about his name and his legacy is football. But with all this he isn't as recognizable as Jordan or Ruth is too a non-sports fan, like my sister or grandma.

Your thoughts?

d34ng3l021
06-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Its definetly not Lombardi. I bet many people dont know who Lombardi is.

But as for an icon, my thoughts go to Joe Montana or Jerry Rice...But I have been living in the Bay Area for the past 10 years.

WMD
06-11-2007, 12:42 AM
It's much harder for one player to take over a game than it is in NHL, NBA, and MLB. I think each area has it's own icon, and there isn't one fully recognizable superstar for the NFL.

ShutDwn
06-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Jerry Rice or Emmit Smith.

Both on Dancing with the Stars.

Severe Punishment
06-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Brett Favre is as close as it will get.

Remember before Gretzky there was Orr (or Richard if you're canadian)
there's always a superstar before and there's always one that will come
after...that's a part of the reason we watch.

Clemens in baseball (though it's turned into a sideshow act) and Favre for football. Basketball is a league with a "forced" superstar in James...though
he may win a title this year, it will still take years of multiple accomplishments
(including multi championships) to even be breathed in the same sentance as
Jabbar, Magic, Jordan, The big O, Marovich or even say an Olaijuwon.
Hockey is in the same boat,...marketing the game behind it's best young player
and golf is owned by Tiger and Phil.

ShutDwn
06-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Brett Favre is as close as it will get.

Remember before Gretzky there was Orr (or Richard if you're canadian)
there's always a superstar before and there's always one that will come
after...that's a part of the reason we watch.

Clemens in baseball (though it's turned into a sideshow act) and Favre for football. Basketball is a league with a "forced" superstar in James...though
he may win a title this year, it will still take years of multiple accomplishments
(including multi championships) to even be breathed in the same sentance as
Jabbar, Magic, Jordan, The big O, Marovich or even say an Olaijuwon.
Hockey is in the same boat,...marketing the game behind it's best young player
and golf is owned by Tiger and Phil.

Clemens isn't the face of all time MLB, not even current. I am not even casual and I can't remember his name all the time. A-rod is the most recognizable. Current Basketball is Shaq easily, he is right behind Jordan. Hockey is Gretzky, I can't name another hockey player.

I think that you think this is only current players.

Brett Favre isn't that known among casual/ non fans. Peyton has so many commercials he is bound to be more known than 99% of the players.

Severe Punishment
06-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Clemens isn't the face of all time MLB, not even current. I am not even casual and I can't remember his name all the time. A-rod is the most recognizable. Current Basketball is Shaq easily, he is right behind Jordan. Hockey is Gretzky, I can't name another hockey player.

I didn't mean Clemens as the all time...just as of now. He's a 5 time Cy Young winner and has 1 thing A-Rod doesn't. A ring with the Yankees.
A-Rod is (to me anyways) the best player in the game and has been for 5 years...but that doesn't make him a name you directly associate with the games past present and future. Clemens is the modern era's Cy Young.
Hockey is greatzky , and always will be. How about Ray Borque, Mark Messier, Domanic Hasek, Mario Lemiux or Jarmir Jagr.
I'd forgotten about Shaq. He's been dominant but I think really think he missed his calling with acting..I mean everytime I see Kazaam I'm more and more impressed.

jag
06-11-2007, 01:04 AM

Brett Favre isn't that known among casual/ non fans. Peyton has so many commercials he is bound to be more known than 99% of the players.

I'm sorry, but Shaq is not the face of the NBA. Not even close.

nrk
06-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Everyone knows Marino. Laces out Dan.

bearfan
06-11-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm sorry, but Shaq is not the face of the NBA. Not even close.

Agree 1000%. The face of the NBA right now is Dwade, or LBJ. Dwade is on all those commercials for his phone, and Lebron is just flat out good. Both players everyone knows about, but probably James more. So I go w/ James.

As for the NFL right now its Peyton Manning. again commercials, but he also does everything good, and sends the messages that the NFL wants to send. LT is in a close behind, but QB gets the spotlight more.

Golf is Tiger and Phil

TheChampIsHere
06-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Peyton is taking on that kind of image right now, and yeah there are guys like Jonny U, Montana, Marino, Rice who have that kind of stigma. I also think John Madden should have his name thrown into the mix. But no there is no guy in football like a Michael Jordan to the NBA, Muhammad Ali to boxing, or Gretzky to the NHL. i.e. a guy who is the undisputed best ever.

LarryJohnson27
06-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Current: Peyton

All-Time: Montana, Emmit, or Rice. I hear Marino's name all the time living in South Florida. Walter Payton is also a player that comes to mind for me.

CC.SD
06-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Shaq definitely WAS the face of the NBA during Jordan's fadeout/post retirement era. League MVP, the most dominant player on the most dominant team, 3 peat.

Anyone remember "Taco Neck Syndrome?" Ah, good times.

soybean
06-11-2007, 03:03 AM
i think soon it will be reggie bush. I don't think people really understand how he revolutionized the sport these past 2 years.

Not to mention all the casual fans he sucked into watching the sport more regularly.

I live in anaheim so we use to get random nfl games on sunday but this past year we got 95 percent of the saints' games.

hornybastard
06-11-2007, 03:13 AM
NFL-It's Peyton due to all of his commercials and he just won the Super Bowl and was on SNL.

MLB-It's Clemens all you do is hear his name right now. Everybody at my work that watches or doesn't watch sports know Roger Clemens.

NBA-LeBron James even though he doesn't deserve it it's ture.

NHL-Sidney Crosby...uh yea Crosby I guess.

M.O.T.H.
06-11-2007, 03:13 AM
right now....

NFL: Manning (Peyton of course)
NBA: Lebron James
MLB: A-Rod
Golf: Tiger

stl9erfan
06-11-2007, 03:56 AM
It's really hard to pick just one. In the NFL right now, I think it has to be Brett Favre. When Favre retires, it will probably be Brady, unless Manning can get another SB trophy to back up the hype and the endorsements with even MORE hardware.

All time, some guys who are definitely on the list of possibles:

Montana

Unitas

Barry Sanders

Lombardi

Walsh

Shula

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Emmitt Smith

Dan Marino

Walter Payton

Mike Ditka

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 05:03 AM
I think it changes. I think the latest era has been Tom Brady. The one before Brett Favre, Elway, Jerry Rice, Steve Young and the list goes on.

There's no real "one" icon, maybe top 5 most recognizable players.

Brady, Manning, Vick, Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens.

Though the last three probably for as many bad reasons as good.

I think that the big parity between AFC and NFC as far as a lot of coverage in some areas makes a difference too.

bsaza2358
06-11-2007, 08:34 AM
It is very hard to have one defining icon in football because careers are so short in comparison to other sports. Baseball players can play 25 years, hockey easily 20, and basketball 20 in many cases. Football players cannot start their careers until 20 at best, and in many cases, it's 22 or 23. Playing 12 years becomes a long career in the NFL. You don't see many non-kicker/punters playing more than 15.

Mr. Stiller
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I think it changes. I think the latest era has been Tom Brady. The one before Brett Favre, Elway, Jerry Rice, Steve Young and the list goes on.

There's no real "one" icon, maybe top 5 most recognizable players.

Brady, Manning, Vick, Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens.

Though the last three probably for as many bad reasons as good.

I think that the big parity between AFC and NFC as far as a lot of coverage in some areas makes a difference too.

I agree. I'd have to say in my area (Pittsburgh/Johnstown/Altoona, PA) it's all about Troy Polamalu, because of his hair.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Here are what I think that todays icons are in their respective sports.

Football - Peyton Manning
Baseball - Alex Rodriguez
Basketball - LeBron James
Hockey - Sidney Crosby
Soccer - David Beckham

amag
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
NFL - Favre, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, T.O., Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway, Young, Marino, E Smith, B Sanders, D Sanders, Marshall Faulk, all names I think of when I think NFL

MLB - Jeter, Clemens, Cal Ripkin Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., a-rod, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantal, Hank, Reggie Jackson, Paul o'neal(sp, could never spell his name right)

NBA - Jordan, Shaq, Lebron, Dwade

Golf- tiger

neko4
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
It changes by era. If you recall may Packers were in commericals in the mid-90's

Vikes99ej
06-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd say Peyton Manning is the face of the NFL right now.

etk
06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
How many advertising campaigns and other media jobs has Peyton Manning done in the past 2 years?

If he's not the NFL's crowning Golden Boy I don't know who is.

YAYareaRB
06-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Its a toss up between Tank Johnson and PacMan Jones

Acreboy
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
NFL All Time-Madden (The games help) Seriously, IDK.

NFL Current-The Golden Boy Tom Brady

NBA All Time- Jordan (He redefined what BB is today)

MLB All Time-Babe Ruth easily

MLB Current- Jeter

NBA Current- Kobe (Although I hate him)

ATLDirtyBirds
06-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Right now, I'd say the faces of the NFL would be

Manning, Brady, and Vick.

Just your most recognizable players.

Acreboy
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Manning, Brady, and Vick.

Just your most recognizable players.http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n196/Acreboy/WTF.jpg

etk
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Vick.

Just your most recognizable players.

Most recognizable on the field or in the walk-in clinic?

ATLDirtyBirds
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n196/Acreboy/WTF.jpg

Your going to deny Mike Vick isn't recognizable?

stephenson86
06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
in england people know about people like
tom brady
ray lewis
jersey names are mainly known in england amongst the general people

neko4
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
It should be LT. He's probably the best player since Jim Brown. But unlike Manning he doesnt do a ton of commericals. He had like 1or2 on NFLN

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
It should be LT but because he's only got small exposure compared to some players it'll be harder for him.

ny10804
06-11-2007, 05:40 PM
http://espycollection.shazamm.net/images/photo_brett_favre.jpg

CC.SD
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Creeeeepy.

TitleTown088
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Easy, he's laying on the floor in this pic.

http://www.goldeneaglefans.homestead.com/files/FavreDraft.jpg

BlindSite
06-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Brett Favre zombie.

sodar21
06-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Joe Montana or Emmit Smith.

yourfavestoner
06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Peyton is taking on that kind of image right now, and yeah there are guys like Jonny U, Montana, Marino, Rice who have that kind of stigma. I also think John Madden should have his name thrown into the mix. But no there is no guy in football like a Michael Jordan to the NBA, Muhammad Ali to boxing, or Gretzky to the NHL. i.e. a guy who is the undisputed best ever.

You nailed it. It's absolutely John Madden. I can't believe nobody said it sooner.

Acreboy
06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Your going to deny Mike Vick isn't recognizable?Well, seeing as how the question pertains to "icon" and not "recognizable" I will chose to ignore the "recognizable" part.

Vick is an icon to dog fighters, not the NFL.

You nailed it. It's absolutely John Madden. I can't believe nobody said it sooner.I did seriously. Then I thought about it and thought some people might try and play me on it.

bennybee38
06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
noooooooo...reggie bush did change things in the football world. cmon now. its reggie bush

saintsfan912
06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Roger Clemens? Are you kidding me? Greg Maddux is 10 times the pitcher he is, without a doubt. If you want to call anyone the modern day Cy Young, it's Greg Maddux. The only reason Clemens name is in the news is because he is with the Yankees.

MLB "Icons" - Current - Pujols, Mauer, Arod, Bonds, Jeter, Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, Ortiz, Manny, the Young Mets (Wright and Reyes), and so on.
MLB Past "Icons" - Pete Rose, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, the Babe, Nolan Ryan, Lou Gerhig, Joe Dimaggio, ect.

Ewing
06-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Roger Clemens? Are you kidding me? Greg Maddux is 10 times the pitcher he is, without a doubt. If you want to call anyone the modern day Cy Young, it's Greg Maddux. The only reason Clemens name is in the news is because he is with the Yankees.

Too bad Cy Young is the most overrated pitcher of all-time. Explain to me how you can pitch in 900 something games and not get 3000 strikeouts. Walter Johnson was twice the pitcher Young was.

saintsfan912
06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Brett Farve is not even close to being the Icon of present day NFL, much less of All Time.

Current - LT, Peyton, Brady, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, Shaun Alexander, and many more. It pretty much just depends on where you live. Right now, in Louisiana, Reggie, Deuce, Drew are all Icons, along with every LSU player on the roster.

Past - JOE MONTANA, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Joe Namath, the original LT, ect.

princefielder28
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
This isn't because I live in Green Bay or cheer for the Packers, but Brett Favre has to be it. If there's a player in the league that the majority of people can relate with and take in it is Brett. Brett is a hard-nosed southern boy from Mississippi. He plays the game of football like a kid and has a genuine enthusiasm for the game. He's faced the personal lows that many fans can relate whether it's losing a family member or having a family member go through a devastating disease. Favre may not eat up the TV like Manning but most people gravitate to Favre because he is them.

ny10804
06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
You know the Greek gods? Brett Favre's one step above that.

jbeans187
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
When i think of sports right now...

MLB - Jeter, Bonds, ARod, and Pujols
NFL - Manning, Brady, Vick, and Chad Johnson (He beat a horse)
NHL - Ovechkin or Crosby
NBA - Kobe, Wade, or LBJ

Paul
06-11-2007, 10:29 PM
People took this to a broader scale then I would thought. I was asking for a one significant figure for the sports whole lifetime. Basketball is MJ, Baseball is Ruth, but question is does football have this figure, this legend. and people come up here with Reggie Bush? WTF

Man_Of_Steel
06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Manning as of right now

Of all-time... Jerry Rice, simply because I believe that non-football enthusiast see him as a reconziable face.

Although who could forget the "Gee Thanks Mean Joe" commercial.

Paul
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
and chad johnson.

i think, in football, there's no way to look for a single player. i mean, i could say unitas. but then there's montana, marino, elway, etc.

i guess i'm not even sure you can say jordan's as iconic as you're giving him credit for. bill russell? wilt chamberlain? i'm not really trying hard, but i think in any sport, it's difficult to point out a single guy and say "he's basketball" or "he's football". i guess, if we're looking for a jordan like player, it would be difficult to not say montana, in terms of stature in the game. but again, in both sports (and in hockey, and probably in baseball), there are so many arguments one could make.

Something about Ruth and Jordan, aside there success and performance on the field and court, they transcended there respective sports. Ruth's charisma and personality brought baseball to a wider audience, he made it accessible. Ruth was really the first athlete that became a celebrity. Samething for Jordan. A marketing and money cow whose name is goes beyond basketball, it is a brand and corporation. People in Japan, Austarli, Uk know these names. They are Icons. They are the biggest names to ever play in there sport. And with there stature, doesn't come with the title as "greatest ever", but rather thety are known as winners, marketers, personalities and apart of a America's Culture.

Dam8610
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
The guy whose face is plastered on every conceivable advertisement, Peyton Manning.

Aftermath
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
LT?

Lawrence Taylor i mean.

YAYareaRB
06-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Throw out all these other names for the NBA.. The most POLARIZING figure in the sport today is none other than Kobe Bryant.

soybean
06-12-2007, 02:58 PM
People took this to a broader scale then I would thought. I was asking for a one significant figure for the sports whole lifetime. Basketball is MJ, Baseball is Ruth, but question is does football have this figure, this legend. and people come up here with Reggie Bush? WTF

ask people who dont watch or know anything about football and whose name will they say is recognizable? vince lombardi?

besides the all time answer is probably jerry rice then.

Shiver
06-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Throw out all these other names for the NBA.. The most POLARIZING figure in the sport today is none other than Kobe Bryant.

Michael Vick is in the discussion in regards to most polarizing. He has been the most discussed and debated player in the NFL for five years now.

neko4
06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I would say Rice, he dominated his position in a way no other player has.
Marino's records could soon be broken by Favre. Emitt did only but so much better than Payton. Nobody outside of the football world pays attention to OL or DL. And the only defensive playr that jumps out at non-fans is Ray Lewis and thats because he was arrested. The best way to tell who the major icon of the NFL is to ask women, who dont play sports/follow football, if they know any names of NFL players

Paul
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
ask people who dont watch or know anything about football and whose name will they say is recognizable? vince lombardi?

besides the all time answer is probably jerry rice then.

It sure ain't Reggie bush, that's for danm sure. Whoever pulled that name out should be banished from here, he hasn't done anything in the NFL to even be in the conversation as "The" NFL Icon, ridiculous.

yourfavestoner
06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
John Madden, John Madden, John Madden.

Severe Punishment
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM

MLB "Icons" - Current - Pujols, Mauer, Arod, Bonds, Jeter, Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, Ortiz, Manny, the Young Mets (Wright and Reyes), and so on.
MLB Past "Icons" - Pete Rose, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, the Babe, Nolan Ryan, Lou Gerhig, Joe Dimaggio, ect.
Match up stat for stat and Clemens OWNS everyone of the last 20 years.
He's without a doubt a top 10 pitcher of all time.
The only other players you can even put into that category should be less
than 10...and for pitchers there isn't another one.
Clemens has excelled wherever he's been. Maddux did what with the Cubs ? ummm what with the Padres ?? He was the elite' beneficiary of a solid Braves team that made 3 world series apperances during Maddox's best years ...but Clemens to a very average 86 RedSox team to within a
few outs of being a world champion. I'd doubt very much if you could name 1/2 of that red sox starting lineup without googling it. They were a 1 man show and that 1 man was the rocket.

soybean
06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
It sure ain't Reggie bush, that's for danm sure. Whoever pulled that name out should be banished from here, he hasn't done anything in the NFL to even be in the conversation as "The" NFL Icon, ridiculous.

i said his name, but not based on his production. moreso his recognizability.

PACKmanN
06-12-2007, 04:17 PM
NHL- Gretzky he made hockey what it is now.
NBA- Kobe consider one of the best right next to Jordan.
MLB- Bonds? i know its not right but everyone knows him.
NFL- Favre or Marino

JK17
06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
i said his name, but not based on his production. moreso his recognizability.

...you said he revolutionized the sport over the past two years...

i think soon it will be reggie bush. I don't think people really understand how he revolutionized the sport these past 2 years.

soybean
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
...you said he revolutionized the sport over the past two years...

well i didnt really mean in the nfl.

(i dont know if that makes any sense)

that was a gross exaggeration on my part. I just meant he brought a lot of casual fans to watching the sport more.

JK17
06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
well i didnt really mean in the nfl.

(i dont know if that makes any sense)

He didn't revolutionize much in the college game either, he's a receiving, speedy RB, there were ones before him, and ones after him...he may have been better then the others in college, but he certainly didn't change anything.

I get what your saying it just hardly makes him the NFL's "major icon" or a revolutionizer of the game.

soybean
06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
He didn't revolutionize much in the college game either, he's a receiving, speedy RB, there were ones before him, and ones after him...he may have been better then the others in college, but he certainly didn't change anything.

I get what your saying it just hardly makes him the NFL's "major icon" or a revolutionizer of the game.

yeah im doing a really bad job of explaining what i mean. I should just simplify it to "people know who he is"

JK17
06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
yeah im doing a really bad job of explaining what i mean. I should just simplify it to "people know who he is"

I don't think it anyone would argue that...lol.

Phrost
06-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Not to mention all the casual fans he sucked into watching the sport more regularly.

I live in anaheim so we use to get random nfl games on sunday but this past year we got 95 percent of the saints' games.

he didn't revolutionize ****.

He didn't change the way the game is played did he?

Will he? NO

DWilliams2IndyColts
06-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, Bo knows sports.

7-11
06-17-2007, 10:22 PM
coming from australia football is not even close to mainstream so the casual sportsfan over here normally hasnt heard of many players at all. from what i hear i think that dan marino or john elway or the most famous for the non football fan.

7-11
06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
and of current players id go with mike vick, ive got freinds that have never watched a game of football in their lives and they know who mike vick is

SuperMcGee
06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
NHL- Gretzky he made hockey what it is now.

He did a lot for hockey when he played, but comparing Gretzky-era hockey to its current popularity/"what it is now" is just ridiculous.

P-L
06-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Match up stat for stat and Clemens OWNS everyone of the last 20 years.
He's without a doubt a top 10 pitcher of all time.
The only other players you can even put into that category should be less
than 10...and for pitchers there isn't another one.
Ok, I'm a big Roger Clemens fan, but have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Pedro Martinez? His stats puts Clemens' to shame. Granted, I believe both are top 10 of all-time, but Clemens only gets the recognition he does because of how long he has been doing it. The fact that Clemens has been playing at such a high level for so long puts him about equal to Martinez, but to say Clemens is on a whole other level for the last 20 years is bull.

but Clemens to a very average 86 RedSox team to within a
few outs of being a world champion. I'd doubt very much if you could name 1/2 of that red sox starting lineup without googling it. They were a 1 man show and that 1 man was the rocket.First of all, this is easy for me since I am a Red Sox fan, but you have got to be kidding me with this one man show thing? I can tell you don't follow baseball by a few things in that comment. Any average baseball fan knows Tom Seaver, Wade Boggs, Jim Rice, and Don Baylor. Boggs is a Hall of Famer and Rice is a borderline Hall of Famer who has been close to getting in numerous times. Tom Seaver is a Hall of Famer (although 1986 was at the end of his career). Secondly, no one starting pitcher can ever have that much effect on a team. You do realize that Clemens only pitched in 20% of his teams games that year, right? No one starting pitcher has ever carried on entire team to an almost World Series Championship. It just isn't possible. When you only have effect on one game out of every five you just can't realistically do that much for a team. The most one pitcher can do is give you a chance to win 20% of your games. Nothing more. Again, I'm a big Clemens fan, but let's not make him into something he's not.

Phrost
06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Pedro Martinez was a god with the Sox. He could paint corners like not other.

Football Fan
06-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Favre
He may not be close to the best player in the league right now, but he is going to start his 17th year. The nfl has been promoting him forever with prime time games due to all the records he has been breaking and will continue to do so until he retires. He is in the process of breaking the all time touchdown pass record and hasnt miseed a game in 16 years. For younger people he would be less recognizable(which is the age group most represented on this site), but the NFL is watched by all age groups including many peoples great grand pappies.
That said he will likely be historically viewed just equally in recognition with many other all time great. Without quetion he is currently one of the top faces in the nfl today.

yourfavestoner
06-18-2007, 03:03 AM
http://www.nndb.com/people/798/000023729/john-madden.jpg

Football Fan
06-27-2007, 01:54 AM
which is why most people who don't watch a lot of football don't know how to pronounce his name. because he's the "face of the game". right?

I think the history of this poll makes a strong case in answering the question for this thread, "Who is the NFL's One Major Icon"? Even when his team finished 4-12 2 years ago, Favre ranked 1st among nfl players chosen as fan favorite.. That says a lot. He likely will be chosen 1st this year also, considering its probably his last year. The nfl programming will be all over it. Manning will take over after that. Especially when he starts breaking most of Favre and Marino's records.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris%5Fpoll/index.asp?PID=777

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=624376

FAVORITE SPORTS STAR – TOP 10 RANKING 2007

"Other athletes who make it into this year’s Top 10 list of favorite sports stars (after Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter and Michael Jordan) are Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre (No. 4), Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James (No. 5), race car driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (No. 6), the San Antonio Spurs’ Tim Duncan (No. 7), Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback Peyton Manning (No. 8), LA Lakers star Kobe Bryant (No. 9), New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (No. 10). Both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady return to the list after dropping off last year while Tim Duncan makes his first appearance ever. On the other side, Shaquille O’Neal, Jeff Gordon and Barry Bonds have all dropped off the list this year"

Brett Favre, ranked higher than Manning or brady every time since either of the 2 have even been ranked at all, except once (manning ranked 2nd in 2005). Favre has ranked 1st among nfl players for at least the last 2 years and consistently ranked at or near top for the last 11.

DeathbyStat
06-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I think Manning is on his way due to the amount of media he appears on...I think he needs a win a few more super bowls to truly claim the tag.

bored of education
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Brett Favre due to his longevity. But in a year or two it will be Brodie Croyle

Philliez01
06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
There really isn't a "Ruthanian" figure in the NFL as of right now for a few reasons (or at least my belief).

1-Baseball was really king up until, I'd say right before the Steelers era of domination in the 1970s? (That's at least my guess, it could be earlier/later; I think "The Greatest Game Ever Played" put it on the map, and Super Bowl 3 made it very relevant. Compared to how baseball was popular when guys like Cy Young, Christy Matthewson, Shoeless Joe, Ruth, etc. were playing (late 1800s to now); it's had a shorter shelf life by comparision. Football is really just starting to branch out globally too.

2-It's harder for football, by a stats perspective, to dominate as compared to baseball. Of course we take pride in Johnny U's 47-game TD streak but it's not as nationally known as say Joe DiMaggio's 56-gamer. Same with Marino's (and now Manning's) TD record rather than Maris (then McGwire, Bonds) HR records. Of course, the steroid allegations have also taken those records to new heights. It keeps thrusting it back in the media.

3-Baseball survived through the Great Depression. It was (to my knowledge and recollection of books) the main source of entertainment back then. Ruth called his shot off of Charlie Root, which is part of the legacy he left that continues to this day. Baseball went through WWII and some of the game's greatest icons (Ted Williams included) actually were in the military. Baseball was the escape.

Football hasn't really gone through anything based on how long it's been in terms of national attention, and it's shelf life. We could be in the beginning of the new thing. In the year 2107, they could be talking about how "that Peyton Manning (or Brady, Bush, Calvin Johnson, Darren McFadden, Jimmy Clausen, Terrelle Pryor; it goes on and on) really were special".

If I had to guess, I'd say Dan Marino but football is really still a regional thing. I'd guarantee most people in my area know Donovan McNabb but probably never heard of Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith or Dan Marino.

badgerbacker
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
As far as the all-time "faces" of sports leagues...

MLB: Babe Ruth
NHL: Wayne Gretzky
NBA: Michael Jordan
NFL: Mike Ditka

I found it really hard for football. While Ditka probably isn't the single greatest player or single greatest coach in football history he is still who I consider to be the "face." Ditka simply IS football. He was a hardnosed player, coach, and just person in general. He is certainly well known as a Hall of Fame player and a coach of the Superbowl winning Bears' team, and he of course had the Superfans on SNL.

Ditka.

(And this is from a Packer fan)

keylime_5
06-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Probably Lombardi. The trophy is named for him and he is the most popular coach and appears to be the face of the NFL.

High Roller
06-27-2007, 09:05 PM
IDK if someone said this already because I didnt read the whole thread, but part of the reason I think there is no "major" icon in football like other sports is because the longetivy in football is shorter than in other sports.
Jordan - 15yrs
Gretzky - 20yrs
Ruth - 22yrs
Also, football is such a team sport. In basketball, one guy can drop 80 in one night. In baseball one player can have 3 HRs in one game. In Hockey, you can score 3 goals in one night. With football, you can't pass a TD with one player and you can't run for a TD without a line blocking for you.
It's the not the players, it's just the way the game is and I like it that way.

PoopSandwich
06-27-2007, 10:47 PM
My idol = Kellen Winslow Jr.

What everyone thinks of when you say NFL? Probably Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Who it should be? Jim Brown of course ;)

Honestly though, Lombardi = NFL.

Football Fan
06-28-2007, 01:47 AM
My idol = Kellen Winslow Jr.

What everyone thinks of when you say NFL? Probably Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Who it should be? Jim Brown of course ;)

Honestly though, Lombardi = NFL.
"What everyone thinks of when you say NFL? Probably Peyton Manning or Tom Brady".

Not according to this long runnining national poll. Its consistantly Favre, who has been chosen 1st among nfl players for at least the last 2 years and has consistantly been picked at or near the top fot the last 11 years.
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris%5Fpoll/index.asp?PID=777

jj45
07-01-2007, 02:33 PM
There can only be one nfl icon and the is madden cover boy ray lewis, he led his team a superbowl won mvp its easy for peyton manning to win mvp on offense but on defense it takes twice the work he is the godfather of the nfl, when chad johnson was taking his celebrations to far ray lewis called him and he stop. he is the greatest the nfl icon.

CW99
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
My choices would be

Brett Favre
Reggie White
Jerry Rice
or Johnny Unitas

VY10
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Madden is I think a huge NFL icon. I don't think it can be one player really because they can only be around for like 20 years MAX. John Madden has been around for a long time as a coach and analyst and even has his name on the NFL's video game.

Vince Lombardi would come close but he was a long time ago

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Manning or Brady

Manning is in the commercials, Brady is the 'golden boy'

VY10
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Manning or Brady

Manning is in the commercials, Brady is the 'golden boy'

Not Tom Brady I know lots of people that hate him or think he is overrated.

wogitalia
07-05-2007, 03:56 AM
As someone overseas I can probably best gauge how they are reflected outside the US where regional bias will have an affect on who people think.

For basketball it was Jordan, still is Jordan and always will be Jordan. Shaq is easily the 2nd biggest, most people in Australia dont even know who LeBron is and couldn't care less. Basketball is a dieing sport.

Hockey it's Gretzky, not that many people care at all, but Gretzky is easily the man in hockey.

Baseball is Babe Ruth. Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr are the other well known guys. Baseball like basketball was most popular here in the mid 90's and has basically fallen off the map since, even more so than basketball.

For football its Marino, Rice, Elway, Montana and Emmitt. Barry Sanders is also popular. The sport isnt big by any means over here, but those are the names the average person could name.

ks_perfection
07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
At first I was really surprised to see Farve ranked higher than Manning/Brady in that poll. But it makes sense when you think about how people perseive them, Farve has that average Joe look that people can relate to. Golden Boy Brady and perfectionistic Manning definitly don't have that.

Football Fan
07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
At first I was really surprised to see Farve ranked higher than Manning/Brady in that poll. But it makes sense when you think about how people perseive them, Farve has that average Joe look that people can relate to. Golden Boy Brady and perfectionistic Manning definitly don't have that.I agree that the likability factor helps him in the poll. But his acomplishments over the last 16 years are nothing to sneeze at. The team has been on the decline for a while and Favres receivers have been blah for several years so his stats havent been to impressive. I thought that would make him drop down in a poll like this, but that average joe personality, his devotion to the game and that backyard style of play is what fans enjoy. He puts on a heck of a show.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Brett Favre maybe

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Die furur, Brett Favre.

BamaFalcon59
07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
I say football, I think Patriots (well, outside of the Falcons). So, I would say Tom Brady. Then again, I am a new fan to the game.

Basketball- Jordan. LeBron will be there (hopefully) one day.

Hockey- Gretzky

Baseball- Maybe because I'm a relatively new sports fan (and just started watching baseball on a consistent basis this year) but I think Hank Aaron.

Golf- Tiger Woods

Tennis- Roger Federer

Swimming- Michael Phelps

I'd say those are the dominant athletes of today, especially Woods, Federer, and Phelps. All three will go down as (possibly) the top players to play in their respective sports. LeBron (and Peyton and maybe Brady and Bonds) has a shot at that too.