PDA

View Full Version : Willie Roaf to go in HOF as a Saint

Splat
06-11-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007706100338

Roaf didn't finish his career with the Saints, but he spent the first nine years of his NFL career in New Orleans.

He understands his place in team history. Roaf will be the first Pro Football Hall of Famer inductee who spent the bulk of his playing career with the Saints.

"It will be special for New Orleans fans," Roaf said. "I'll go into the Hall of Fame as a Saint. There are no Saints in the Hall of Fame, so it will be great."

Even as a Chiefs fan I'm fine with it he played nine years with the Saints they drafted him and it is his home town.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
06-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Letting Willie Roaf go was one of the dumbest things the franchise has ever done. I'm really glad he doesn't have any hard feelings.

Woody56
06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
My favorite OT of all time. Easily one of the best LT's ever.

Splat
06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Letting Willie Roaf go was one of the dumbest things the franchise has ever done. I'm really glad he doesn't have any hard feelings.

I believe it was for only a 3rd round pick which makes it even dumber.

CC.SD
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Makes sense. I'm glad he's not a Chief anymore, which is a compliment BTW.

HoopsDemon12
06-11-2007, 06:00 PM
he was one hell of a player... gonna be great that he gets inducted as a saint

BPhilb
06-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I really believe that he is the best LT of all time. Which team he goes in for is irrelavent to me, but I know getting to watch him in KC was special.

Auron
06-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Most definitely.

Not something I like to go back on at all but the Haslett regime really ran this team into the ground. I can't find the exact quote but I remember Roaf stating He would rather retire than play for a Jim Haslett team again.
New Orleans would like to deal Roaf, and the seven-time Pro Bowl selection (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2002/03/22/banks_saints/) has said he will retire rather than return to play for Saints head coach Jim Haslett, with whom he has a deteriorating relationship.

I've never seen a coach have so little control over a team, his teams always collapsed down the stretch, and almost always were in the top of the league in penalties. His philosophy of bringing in athletes with great measurables but paying no heed to intelligence, and character was terrible. Which led to losing veteran leaders with great intangibles like Roaf, Sammy Knight, La'Roi Glover, and replacing them with athletes or just flat out unmotivated players like Tebucky Jones, Grady Jackson, Dale Carter, Albert Connell, and the massive mistake Johnathan Sullivan.

I remember in 2001 the team was 7-5 and had to win 2 of their final 3 games 2 of which were non playoff teams and they lost all three games. and then again in 2002 where they started 7-2 and failed to make the playoffs, losing their last 3 games, Haslett stuck with an injured Aaron Brooks starting rather than playing Delhomme.

I think I'm going to make myself sick. :( Very glad that Willie is going in as a Saint, and upset over how his tenure ended here.

Flyboy
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I remember in 2001 the team was 7-5 and had to win 2 of their final 3 games 2 of which were non playoff teams and they lost all three games. and then again in 2002 where they started 7-2 and failed to make the playoffs, losing their last 3 games, Haslett stuck with an injured Aaron Brooks starting rather than playing Delhomme.I believe the 2001 year was when I seriously started watching football and saw something in the Saints that I liked. Then, we lost those last two games (one was to the WINLESS Bengals, I believe) and was like, "Wow. This team really sucks but this is the team I'm staying with." Been on board ever since.

Geo
06-11-2007, 08:30 PM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007706100338

Roaf didn't finish his career with the Saints, but he spent the first nine years of his NFL career in New Orleans.

He understands his place in team history. Roaf will be the first Pro Football Hall of Famer inductee who spent the bulk of his playing career with the Saints.

"It will be special for New Orleans fans," Roaf said. "I'll go into the Hall of Fame as a Saint. There are no Saints in the Hall of Fame, so it will be great."

Even as a Chiefs fan I'm fine with it he played nine years with the Saints they drafted him and it is his home town.

To all of the above, I say: well said.

Also, Haslett was a disaster of a head coach. Even if he did manage to get the Saints to the playoffs for one year, with Aaron Brooks as his quarterback.

Jay
06-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Is this really as big a deal as it is in baseball? Matter of fact, isn't baseball the only sport you really "go in as" a member of a certain team? Just curious, I've never heard anyone make a big deal about it in any other sport...

saintsfan912
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I love it! Willie was IMO the best LT to ever play the game. Unbelievable player and person. The day Haslett let him go over big mouth Horn is the day I started hating Haslett. I'm just excited we finally get a Hall Of Fame member, even though there will be plenty to come.

jbeans187
06-11-2007, 10:27 PM
This might sound dumb but i had no idea he ever played for the Saints. Was he a good player there or did he get better when he joined the Chiefs?

saintsfan912
06-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Have you just started watching football or something? He was a pro bowler multiple times as a Saint. The face of the organization for years. He was drafted by the Saints in the 1st round out of Louisiana Tech.

jbeans187
06-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Im more of a college football guy but WOW!!! I didnt know

Auron
06-11-2007, 11:59 PM
This might sound dumb but i had no idea he ever played for the Saints. Was he a good player there or did he get better when he joined the Chiefs?

Yes, he started all 16 games as a Rookie and then went on to make 7 Pro-Bowl appearances as a Saint.
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/abcsports/mnf/1228/photo/s_roaf_i.jpg

He spent 9 out of 13 of his seasons in New Orleans, but he is mostly remembered for his time as a Chief. Mainly because he played a big part in a dominant KC O-line along with Will Shields, and Brian Waters paving the way for huge rushing years for Priest Holmes, and Larry Johnson.

Regardless he was one of the best Left tackles of this era right up there with Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden..

Acreboy
06-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Being a life long Saints fan this makes me warm inside.

GB12
06-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Is this really as big a deal as it is in baseball? Matter of fact, isn't baseball the only sport you really "go in as" a member of a certain team? Just curious, I've never heard anyone make a big deal about it in any other sport...

Yeah, this really doesn't make any sense. In football they don't go in for a certain team.

Splat
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Yes, he started all 16 games as a Rookie and then went on to make 7 Pro-Bowl appearances as a Saint.
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/abcsports/mnf/1228/photo/s_roaf_i.jpg

Add four more pro bowls with the Chiefs after that not a bad days work Roaf was not one of those players that went to the PB on name alone he earned it.

diabsoule
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
It's a tremendous honor to have Roaf enter the Hall of Fame as a Saint. He was a class act on the field and off and he deserves all the praise he gets.

Splat
06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I have no idea how the man could run on game day he had trouble even walking any other day of the week.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/4782/roafwwpf7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

saintsfan912
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Cortizone(or however you spell it) works wonders.

And on the HOF web site there is a way to sort hall of famers by Franchise so I think it does matter what team he goes in as. Thats how it seems anyways.

saintsfan912
06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Just noticed this but Willie won't be the first Saint in the HOF. The late great Jim Finks was inducted in '95. He was one of the best GMs of all time and, from what I hear from older people, a hell of a person as well.

TigerBait45
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I'll always love Willie Roaf. He was an absolute monster for so long it was easy to take him for granted.

kmartin575
06-15-2007, 01:13 AM
Pace, Jones, and Ogden are all great but none of them compare Roaf. I have seen each of them struggle with certain players. Freeney gave Ogden fits, for example. Roaf completely dominated any DE he went up against.

People give the Chiefs defense crap for the 2003 playoff loss where they didn't force a single punt. What they always fail to mention is that the Chiefs did not punt either. A big part of that is that Roaf completely dominated Dwight Freeney. Freeney and Mathis were complete non-factors against Roaf and Tait.

IMO the line of Roaf-Waters-Wiegmann-Shields-Tait was the best of all time.

Phrost
06-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Pace, Jones, and Ogden are all great but none of them compare Roaf. I have seen each of them struggle with certain players. Freeney gave Ogden fits, for example. Roaf completely dominated any DE he went up against.

People give the Chiefs defense crap for the 2003 playoff loss where they didn't force a single punt. What they always fail to mention is that the Chiefs did not punt either. A big part of that is that Roaf completely dominated Dwight Freeney. Freeney and Mathis were complete non-factors against Roaf and Tait.

IMO the line of Roaf-Waters-Wiegmann-Shields-Tait was the best of all time.

LMAO

marks01234
06-15-2007, 09:59 PM
^ eh, Roaf was a great player but I'm not sure he was better in his prime that Pace and Odgen. Boselli was the greatest OT I've ever seen since Anthony Munoz though.

kmartin575
06-18-2007, 05:01 AM
^ eh, Roaf was a great player but I'm not sure he was better in his prime that Pace and Odgen. Boselli was the greatest OT I've ever seen since Anthony Munoz though.

Freeney gave Ogden fits.

There is a reason Roaf went to 10+ pro bowls. He is one of the greatest of all time.

I'm still pissed at him though for quitting on his team at the time he did.

JK17
06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Freeney gave Ogden fits.

There is a reason Roaf went to 10+ pro bowls. He is one of the greatest of all time.

I'm still pissed at him though for quitting on his team at the time he did.

Yeah, I'm sure there wasn't a single DE who ever gave Roaf trouble...