PDA

View Full Version : CB Hall staying focused on goals

d34ng3l021
06-11-2007, 03:55 PM
CB Hall staying focused on goals
By Chris Pika, AF.com
June 9, 2007

Falcons CB DeAngelo Hall has accomplished much personally in his time in the league as his two Pro Bowl trips in three seasons would attest to. But, the hard-working cornerback wants a team goal more than any personal accolades.

"A Super Bowl," Hall said when asked what his goals for 2007 are. "Anything else would not even matter -- Pro Bowls -- none of that really matters. The only thing I want is to bring a Super Bowl to the city of Atlanta and (Falcons Owner & CEO) Arthur Blank."

Hall had 56 total tackles and led the team with four interceptions in 2006 for the Falcons. He ended his season with seven tackles for the NFC in the Pro Bowl and finally had a chance to rest and get ready for 2007.

A solid training regimen is important, Hall said, to keeping your body fresh for the next season.

"You start to understand the whole aspect of training, not just playing from August until the end of the season, but that the offseason does matter," he said. "You have to get on a regimen and stay with it, whether you are in-season or not. You need to get eight hours of sleep and three meals a day -- little things that keep your body on the same routine. I am only 23 and I know that I will not be young forever and I can feel myself getting older every day. I try to stay on my regimen as best as I can."

Hall has had some down time, but has made sure that he has stayed on pace.

"I have just been staying busy," Hall said. "I don't think that I have had two days in one place at one time, whether it is doing football camps for other people, or going on vacation with the family. I've been staying busy and moving around. It is so hard to shut your body down for a month and then try to get it back on, rather than keeping it on a nice easy pace. The OTAs have been a bit of a pickup for us, but we are getting back in the groove of things."

The 2006 season did not end as well as Hall and the Falcons had hoped as the club missed the playoffs.

"Bottom line, last season we lost a lot of games we should have won and if you get those, you are in the playoffs," he said.

Hall is one of a group of players who were on the 2004 team which advanced to the NFC Championship Game.

"As a rookie when I came to Atlanta, we went to the NFC Championship game and we took it for granted," said Hall. "There are not a lot of players from that team still here, but the ones who are know how hard it is to get back there. We are going to try to reach that same point and get past there to the Super Bowl."

Changes were made in the organization with the addition of Coach Bobby Petrino and his staff. Hall said the difference can be seen on the field and the locker room.

"It's been pretty good and very positive," he said of the attitude in the locker room. "Some guys wanted a change and at first, I didn't want one, but change is good. You never know what good can come out of it and you might get a Super Bowl ring out of it. We have to play it out and see how it goes."

A tough defender in the secondary, Hall was second in the NFL in least percentage of opposing receptions made among players who had 100 or more passes thrown at them at 48.7 percent. Only he and Baltimore's Chris McAllister (48.5 percent) were under 50 percent among all players with 100 or more targeted passes.
Even with that success in the secondary, Hall says he has plenty of room for improvement.

"I am learning to finish every play and to compete," he said. "I didn't make the plays I should have last season. I am working on staying disciplined and focused throughout the entire game. The great players are great every play because you don't know when you are going to be tested, so that what I am trying to get better and better at this year."

http://atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=19774

Thoughts?

I think he can rebound well off of the end of last season. With Zimmer playing more man to man, I think Hall can definetly establish himself as a top5 CB in the league (even for all those doubters).

iloxygenil
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Haha, and people hated BIG time on him for being so bad this year. Looks like he wasn't as bad as people were saying... I can't wait to see what he can do this year. He just needs to end up with more than 4 picks.

ThEvIcTR
06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
All he does is talk **** about how he is the next Deion and how he can shut everyone down. I remember him saying how he was gonna shut Steve Smith down and that Steve Smith was lucky he was hurt. For that is the reason why Chad Johnson hates Hall.

d34ng3l021
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Chad doesnt hate Hall...He thinks Hall is one of the top corners in the league.

So this other article says that Hall was targeted 87 times (Champ Bailey was targetted 65 times)...

There are definetly conflicting reports about times targetted and other things like that.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-11-2007, 05:18 PM
It's obvious to me, Hall didn't have a season he is capable of. I really hope he can bounce back though, because he showed some bigtime potential.

iloxygenil
06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Oh, I mean he was the 2nd best corner in the league last year, and we were ripping him because his Safety help was out of position a lot of times. Sure he blew a couple, but man, he really is stellar and looking at stats like that make it painfully obvious why he went to the pro bowl.

iloxygenil
06-11-2007, 09:04 PM
sorry double...I hate my roomates computer

KILLERSANTA
06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh, I mean he was the 2nd best corner in the league last year, and we were ripping him because his Safety help was out of position a lot of times. Sure he blew a couple, but man, he really is stellar and looking at stats like that make it painfully obvious why he went to the pro bowl.

way to not be a homer

d34ng3l021
06-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I think he was basing it off of the stat...but because of it, doesnt mean he is the 2nd best corner.

Bailey isnt even on the list. Does that make him worse than McAlister and Hall? No. He didnt even have 100 passes thrown his way. A much better stat that having less than 50% of passes complete agaisnt you.

Also, the YPC. Hall gave up many big plays, which counts the same as a 15 yard catch when measuring completion percentage.

But he did have a bad season, and I look for him to rebound.

iloxygenil
06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Obviously I was talking about the stat, but yeah, okay if you didn't get tested 100 times I guess that's a good thing, but I'd like to see their percentages as well. I mean ya, he gave up too many big plays, but guess what, without a Safety capable of playing FS of course they are going to give up big plays from the CB spot, we blamed Deangelo for some of Crocker's mistakes, at least 2 of the TDs he gave up were Crocker's zone that got botched.

But we should see an improvement this season, and I'm excited about it.

DraftMichaelHuff
06-12-2007, 05:42 AM
lol at giants fans. Their rookie CB is two years older than DHall. Quite frankly being anywhere in the top 10 CBs at the age of 23 is amazing, last year he was top 3 in CB's at 22 which is unheard of.

Think about that. When Ross has been in the league for 5 years he will already be 30 and cb is a position where you cant afford to loose a step, especially when your not fast for the position anyway. Conversely when D Hall is a 5 year vet he will be the same age Ross is now.

Similiar situation can be seen with QB Alex Smith and the Dolphins Rookie QB

Shiver
06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
What's sad is that everyone would praise DeAngelo Hall if Atlanta had a decent Free Safety. I cannot count the touchdowns that were given up, whether it was Hall's man or someone else, because Crocker had no range. Because of that twenty yard completions turned into six for opposing teams.

d34ng3l021
06-12-2007, 05:45 PM
What's sad is that everyone would praise DeAngelo Hall if Atlanta had a decent Free Safety. I cannot count the touchdowns that were given up, whether it was Hall's man or someone else, because Crocker had no range. Because of that twenty yard completions turned into six for opposing teams.

Speaking of which, I hope Jimmy Williams can transition well into that position.

What I would do for a stud safety.

iloxygenil
06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Oh I agree, and I'm hoping that Jimmy really steps into that role. He's got all the speed in the world and he's physical enough, but will he be able to read it and make the calls too? I'm excited to find out.