PDA

View Full Version : Post your Bucs Mock for 2008 Draft

simms2clayton
06-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Here is mine and I think we will be pickign in the 17-20 range in round 1:

1. Fred Davis TE Southern California
I understand this would surprise a few of you to go TE but Alex Smith has never lived up to his potential. Davis could run in the 4.5s at the combine and I think with a weapon like him on offense we could really do some damage in the middle of the field.

2. Chris Long DE Virginia
He is a bigger DE that can rush the passer for us on the left side opposite Gaines. I think we need a much more talented LDE than we have had in past defenses.

3. Dorien Bryant WR/KR Purdue
Bryant would be a major addition to our offense and bring more athleticism to the return game.

Thoughts? I wanted to a make a different mock that didn't have desean jackson or manningham as our round 1 pick.

dbtb135
06-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Smith never(two seasons) lived up to his potential because we haven't had a decent passing game lately or a good line. So while Smith is in sometimes blocking, or getting subbed out for Becht to block, he hasn't been a real productive receiver. But who has? Galloway? Because he's a Pro Bowl type WR. I can't fault Smith for not putting up big numbers, and I can't say we should use such a high pick on a guy to replace him. He's got too much potential, and has played well with it sometimes. It'd be like taking a back in the 1st round, more harm than good. Avoiding patching our biggest holes to grab a talent who might not make us a better team.

IMO, that pick has to be a need pick in round 1 or an unbelievable, shouldn't fall this far talent. Davis is neither. I understand you wanting to not go the usual route that everyone is going with QB/WR. But why not a DT or LT?

I'd really like the Long pick though, in the unlikely scenario he makes it there.

Haven't seen much of Bryant, but an athletic WR/returner fits what we should be looking for.

Caddy
06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
I see making a mock now kind of pointless as we really don't know what is going to happen during the season.

StaticGator
06-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I see the Bucs having around the 14th pick.

Round 1: I'd be looking hard at either quarterback or defensive tackle. Brohm would be ideal but he probably won't last thing long. I've yet to decide on Brennan. At DT Glenn Dorsey looks like a good option as does Frank Okam, DeMarrio Presley, and Sedrick Ellis.

Round 2: I'd be looking at corner or strongside defensive end. (I doubt Chris Long would be available.)

Round 3: I wouldn't be against drafting the best fullback in the class right here. Maybe another tight end but that would prevent Gruden from taking more in the sixth and seventh rounds as he's so fond of.

Caddy
06-13-2007, 08:16 AM
I see the Bucs having around the 14th pick.

Round 1: I'd be looking hard at either quarterback or defensive tackle. Brohm would be ideal but he probably won't last thing long. I've yet to decide on Brennan. At DT Glenn Dorsey looks like a good option as does Frank Okam, DeMarrio Presley, and Sedrick Ellis.

Round 2: I'd be looking at corner or strongside defensive end. (I doubt Chris Long would be available.)

Round 3: I wouldn't be against drafting the best fullback in the class right here. Maybe another tight end but that would prevent Gruden from taking more in the sixth and seventh rounds as he's so fond of.

Eww, I really don't think touching a FB on Day 1 is the right thing to do for Tampa.

StaticGator
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Eww, I really don't think touching a FB on Day 1 is the right thing to do for Tampa.

Usually the top fullback comes off somehwere in the fourth. I'm just of the opinion 1.) the Bucs haven't had a real blocking fullback for as long as I've been watching and 2.) it's not the worst thing when you can use a third round pick on the best player at his position. But I suppose cornerback could be bumped down to round three and fullback moved to round four. I was mostly just trying to make a point how much the team needs a strong lead blocker.

-black
06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
1. Brohm

2 and 3..traded up to acquire Brohm

4. Dorian Bryant (my God I would be thrilled if he fell to the 4th)

5. Best Available DL

6. Best avilable C

7. BPA

in the off-season sign a top DE or UT

etk
06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I'll make 2 separate mocks based on two different scenarios. One is more likely than the other...

Garcia starts: Top 4 pick again

1. Brian Brohm, QB
2. Tyson Jackson, DE
3. Keenan Burton, WR

Simms starts: 12ish range

1. Mario Urrutia or DeSean Jackson, WR. This pick hinges on the durability of Galloway/impact of Clayton.
2. Kenny Iwebema, DE.
3. Marcus Harrison, DT.

-black
06-13-2007, 01:14 PM
please dont say Urrutia....he's way overated. Is not a 1st rounder IMHO and not the type of WR we need anyone to replace Galloway. Wouldnt mind Desean though

StaticGator
06-13-2007, 01:32 PM
please dont say Urrutia....he's way overated. Is not a 1st rounder IMHO and not the type of WR we need anyone to replace Galloway. Wouldnt mind Desean though

Completely agree. A lot of 6' 5" receivers look good as underclassmen but once scouts figure out how slow and/or stiff they are, they drop. The Bucs definitely need a receiver on the quicker/shiftier side rather than yet another possession receiver.

etk
06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Completely agree. A lot of 6' 5" receivers look good as underclassmen but once scouts figure out how slow and/or stiff they are, they drop. The Bucs definitely need a receiver on the quicker/shiftier side rather than yet another possession receiver.

Urrutia isn't my favourite but he's the kind of WR we like and I can see his stock increasing due to his size and combine numbers.

I knew it would piss you off. Would you rather get Harry Douglas later on ;)?

-black
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
i'd have zero problem adding Harry Douglas to this team :)

simms2clayton
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Uggh, why does everyone want Brian Brohm?

Also, I think with a very productive running game with Caddy and a better OL that Bruce Gradkowski can be a perennial starter in Tampa.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
please dont say Urrutia....he's way overated. Is not a 1st rounder IMHO and not the type of WR we need anyone to replace Galloway. Wouldnt mind Desean thoughAgreed Urrutia is not polished enough yet to be considered top 15.

Phrost
06-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Its not that many of us want Brohm. Its the incoming coach that needs a franchise QB.

Caddy
06-14-2007, 02:45 AM

You are the BIGGEST Simms homer on this board by a mile, with BeansDooma slightly behind. :D

simms2clayton
06-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Its not that many of us want Brohm. Its the incoming coach that needs a franchise QB.

This team is going to go 7-9 or 8-8 and Gruden will not lose his job.

In the first round, the Bucs will be most likely to draft WR, LOT, LDE, or DT...I gave us Fred Davis just for the fun of the idea.

I think that Gradkowski does have potential in this offense, Gruden might go the Cam Cameron route and find a QB he really likes in round 2.

Watchman
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I'll make 2 separate mocks based on two different scenarios. One is more likely than the other...

1. Brian Brohm, QB
2. Tyson Jackson, DE
3. Keenan Burton, WR

1. Mario Urrutia or DeSean Jackson, WR. This pick hinges on the durability of Galloway/impact of Clayton.
2. Kenny Iwebema, DE.
3. Marcus Harrison, DT.

Since Simms is now #3 on the depth chart that means Garcia and Bruce get injured this year. That's some rough luck.

And I completely agree with 24cadillac24 you are the biggest Simms homer I've ever seen. More power to you, I wish I had that kind of confidence in any of the Bucs QBs.

Tampa 2 4 life
06-14-2007, 12:00 PM

The last time we picked a FB on day one didn't turn out too badly, did it?

Watchman
06-14-2007, 12:27 PM

Are you implying that Tampa has some sort of magic tough when it comes to day 1 FBs? Regardless of the player if the Bucs take a FB on day 1 he will have an Alstott-esque career?

-black
06-14-2007, 01:00 PM

Also, I think with a very productive running game with Caddy and a better OL that Bruce Gradkowski can be a perennial starter in Tampa.

read my draft breakdown (well the portion on Brohm)

I'm in love with him as a prospect and potential Pro Bowl/Franchise QB

StaticGator
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Are you implying that Tampa has some sort of magic tough when it comes to day 1 FBs? Regardless of the player if the Bucs take a FB on day 1 he will have an Alstott-esque career?

I for one don't want another Mike Alstott. I want another Lorenzo Neal. My fullback wish for was for a pure lead blocker, someone of the level of Le'Ron McClain from this past April.

etk
06-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Anyone can be a perennial starter at any position. It doesn't mean they have any talent or positive impact.

etk
06-14-2007, 03:37 PM
This team is going to go 7-9 or 8-8 and Gruden will not lose his job.

Thanks for your factual prediction, Nostradamus. I think we will finish worse than what will happen (lol), but if we do finish with less than 9 wins Gruden gets the axe IMO. The Glazers probably don't have the patience to deal with another mediocre season, especially if Garcia is starting and we don't have a steady future in place or a good chance of improvement in 08.

I for one don't want another Mike Alstott. I want another Lorenzo Neal. My fullback wish for was for a pure lead blocker, someone of the level of Le'Ron McClain from this past April.

Me neither. I want us to acquire a plowing fullback to lessen the beating that Carnell takes in the backfield.

Here's how I'd like to see our back distribution on our roster:

HB:
1. Carnell Williams
2. "Big" back
3. Special teamer
FB:
1. Plower/lead blocker
2. H-Back/pass receiver

Alstott can receive and run short-yardage, but there are very few talented options that can do so. Having a big back that takes a HB spot allows us to keep a receiving weapon as our backup fullback. Flexibility is good. A scat-back would be nice at 3rd string, but special teams coverage is most important. I like Graham for that reason. Plowers can be difficult to find, but a new coaching and scouting staff can find a diamond-in-the-rough ;).

Caddy
06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

We drafted a pretty decent running back/goal line back whose blocking skills are less than adequate. Sure Alstott turned out to be a great back, but his blocking skills are not even comparable with that of a Strong or Neal.