PDA

View Full Version : Who do you pick (other than Quinn) if you are the Dolphins?

simms2clayton
06-13-2007, 02:14 AM
Thought of an interesting idea after looking over last year's first round. Who would I pick if I were the Dolphins GM, but I couldn't go with Brady Quinn since my head coach, Cam Cameron, doesn't think he would be be best fit for the offense.

A few players I would consider here (not necessarily in best to worst):

1. Adam Carriker DE Nebraska: would be a good fit at nose guard in the 3-4 defense.

2. Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh: would be a shutdown corner and bring some stability to the position.

3. Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State: I think #9 would be too high for Timmons, but he is an athletic, raw player and possesses good instincts.

4. Tedd Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State: a dynamic player and brings explosiveness to the offense and special teams. Has just as much upside as any player in the draft.

5. Patrick Willis: He and Channing Crowder would be an excellent duo at ILB for the 3-4 defense...but too early to take a backup LB to Zach Thomas, isn't it?

So, if it was me I think I would take Darrelle Revis 9 overall with Adam Carriker and Tedd Ginn being other good options at 9. In hindsight, I don't think the Ginn pick was as bad as everyone thinks it is, but I guess we'll see over the next few seasons.

neko4
06-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Dwayne Bowe
To early to take Jarrett, but unlike Ginn, Bowe doesnt have huge bust potential.
Off the list, Carriker

Staubach12
06-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I said Revis. HOWEVER, I will defend what the Dolphins did. Anyone who watched the Dolphins play last year will agree with me when I say that Wes Welker was a key component to the Dolphins last season. He returned kicks, punts, and was a heck of a WR. Problably one of the top #3 WRs in the league. Then he signed with New England (who didn't?). Now, they have a huge void at KR, PR, and a WR that was very important to them last year. Ginn fits that mold perfectly. Soon, he'll even be an upgrade over Welker. He's a heck of a returner on kicks and punts. He's also got the skills to make the same impact at WR that Welker was able to. Soon, he'll be the #2 and maybe even (with lots of development) the #1 guy at WR. Did they reach? Absolutely. But did they pick a player that will do they're team well? Absolutely. However, they still would have done better picking Quinn.

Gribble
06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Ginn is being counted on for a lot as a rookie... If he gets hurt then the Dolphins special teams could be a patchwork unit.

Leon Hall maybe?

Acreboy
06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Ginn is being counted on for a lot as a rookie... If he gets hurt then the Dolphins special teams could be a patchwork unit.

Leon Hall maybe?Revis>Hall.

I'd say obviously next to Ginn, Willis was the highest rated player so I say him.

-black
06-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Reggie Nelson

Acreboy
06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Reggie NelsonWell supposedly Jason Allen is moving to S so they didn't "need" S.

draftguru151
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Lets go through those 5 guys from a position need stand point.

Carriker- Resigned Vonnie Holliday and drafted Matt Roth in the 2nd round 2 years ago. Carter was released because the faith the team had in Roth.

Revis- 1st round pick Jason Allen moved to CB, 4 deep at the position.

Timmons- Signed Porter to big deal, have the DMVP opposite him and isn't the perfect fit in the defense.

Ginn- Lost starting KR/PR, lacked a playmaking receiver, Marty Booker?

Willis- Crowder and Thomas inside, Willis would be a back up for at least a year.

So between those 5, Ginn and Willis make the most sense. I still dislike the Ginn pick but he brings something that the team seriously lacked. I'd still take Staley over all of them.

draftguru151
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Well supposedly Jason Allen is moving to S so they didn't "need" S.

He was at safety, he is moving to CB.

Acreboy
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
He was at safety, he is moving to CB.OK well according most dolphin fans they didn't need a safety.

draftguru151
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Other than Landry none of them were worth that pick. Bell and Hill are less than ideal starters.

ricky bobby
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I was a big fan of Revis before the draft and was very upset when the Jets snagged him.

Michigan
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm probably in the vast minority in agreeing with the Dolphins decision to take Ginn over Quinn. Quinn wasn't worth a top 10 pick and Ginn's playmaking ability is gamechanging (I personally thought he was the #7 overall prospect).

ricky bobby
06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm probably in the vast minority in agreeing with the Dolphins decision to take Ginn over Quinn. Quinn wasn't worth a top 10 pick and Ginn's playmaking ability is gamechanging (I personally thought he was the #7 overall prospect).
I hated Ginn prior to the draft. There was a Giants fan that wanted the Giants to draft him, and I argued with him about it for weeks. He's too lanky to be anything more than a #3 WR in the league. He won't be able to go over the middle, he's not very polished at this point. In essence Miami took a KR/PR/slot WR with the #9 pick. They could have taken a guy like Yamon Figurs in round 3, who although does not have the college numbers, is in essence the same type of player.

-black
06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Nelson's stock never hit the top 10 point which I predicted after the FSU game.....but if I were the GM of the Dolphins I would have taken Reggie Nelson. Move Allen to corner, and insert the ballhawk Nelson.

My second pick would have been Joe Staley. If yall remeber I made a thread about a month before the draft stating I think Staley could go 9th to the Dolphins. Had I been the GM, Staley or Nelson would have been my big debate.....with Meachem, Michael Griffen, and Pat Willis being in the discussion

Nelson is IMO better than Whitner...the 8th pick in 06

thebow305
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Nelson's stock never hit the top 10 point which I predicted after the FSU game.....but if I were the GM of the Dolphins I would have taken Reggie Nelson. Move Allen to corner, and insert the ballhawk Nelson.

My second pick would have been Joe Staley. If yall remeber I made a thread about a month before the draft stating I think Staley could go 9th to the Dolphins. Had I been the GM, Staley or Nelson would have been my big debate.....with Meachem, Michael Griffen, and Pat Willis being in the discussion

I agree to a point. I wanted Ginn number one before anyone, but if I had to take someone other than him or Quinn, I would have taken Adam Carriker probably, maybe Nelson, but Carriker's value would have been better.

ricky bobby
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM

I think that is a bit of a stretch. While Nelson is a ballhawk, Whitner was a better "all around" safety.

draftguru151
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
As well as being a much more polished player and a better athlete.

etk
06-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Darrelle Revis or Joe Staley. When's the last time Miami had a LT that's better than below-average?

draftguru151
06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Darrelle Revis or Joe Staley. When's the last time Miami had a LT that's better than below-average?

Last year?

etk
06-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Last year?

Oops, I forgot Vernon Carey switched sides.

reese
06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
of the choices i took willis but i would have picked reggie nelson...he is a playmaker in the secondary and we need 1 of those badly

draftguru151
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Oops, I forgot Vernon Carey switched sides.

Carey was on the right side last year, I was referring to McIntosh. Carey is at LT now though.

-black
06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Whitner didnt have the kind of season that Nelson had.....no one was saying "more polished" when he was originally drafted...all they could say was "reeeeeach". I like Nelson better as an overall prospect. Who knows if he will live up to it

Don Vito
06-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Say what you want but I liked the Ginn pick for Miami. He is an explosive receiver and great returner who will fill Wes Welkers role. Welker excelled as that returner/receiver and Ginn is a lot more talented than Welker, I think he will do great.

I think Carriker would've been a great pickup for them, he would've been great for that 4-3/3-4 hybrid seeing as he projects to be able to play multiple positions.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I think I would have went with Darrelle Revis. The seem set at DE with Taylor and Roth. The linebacking crew is solid with Thomas, Crowder, and Porter. The only area that was lacking in the secondary, so I think that Revis should have been the guy if the didn't take Quinn.

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
06-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Amobi Okoye or Alan Branch.

reese
06-13-2007, 06:46 PM
i change mine to revis...id still rather have nelson but from the list id take revis...i just got carried away earlier thinkin about thomas, crowder, porter, and willis in our 3-4

Smooth Criminal
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Other. I would have taken Amobi Okeye.

HoopsDemon12
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
im just gonna start of by saying... ANYONE BUT GINN(or ball) would have been a good pick IMO at this point... any of those guys would have been a great fit but i think with the aging corners and real lack of depth at that position reevis would have been a no brainer

simms2clayton
06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Sorry for not adding Joe Staley as an option. I guess on draft day a lot of you guys had him as one of the top 15 or 16 players in the draft.

Iamcanadian
06-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Ginn was always a top 10 pick. His late season injury which kept him from working out at full strength made a lot of mockers go off him. Miami sees in Ginn a game breaker who can severely alter DC's game plans to account for Ginn on every play simular to the effect Bush has on the defenses he played against. Sure, Ginn is raw, so what, that just means his upside is off the charts. He's probably the fastest runner in the NFL right now which translates to a very dangerous player. He's going to open up huge anount of space for the other WR's and running backs as he will have to be double teamed on almost every play.
As soon as Miami determined that Quinn didn't suit their offense, they turned to Ginn and prayed they'd find a QB from somewhere and they did. Green, throwing to Chambers and Ginn puts Miami back on the map offensively something that looked pretty bleak just a few weeks ago.
Is Ginn a sure thing, of course not but his ceiling is so high it would have made passing on him very difficult. One thing is CERTAIN, many teams rated Ginn as a top 10 prospect and Houston has said that if Miami had passed on him, Houston would have drafted him. People were just shell shocked after Miami passed on Quinn, so the criticism of Ginn got hyped up beyond reality.
Ginn was a great pick by Miami and if he developes as expected a lot of draftniks will have to take their foot out of their mouth.

etk
06-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Ginn was always a top 10 pick.

Huh? I guess we have different standards on what merits top-10 quality and consideration...

Iamcanadian
06-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Huh? I guess we have different standards on what merits top-10 quality and consideration...

My standard is simple, he was taken at #9 and Houston has said they would have taken him at #10 if Miami passed. Considering his inability to workout due to injury, it is amazing how high he went and clearly indicates to me that he would have gone a lot higher if he could have had a sensational workout. My standards are simple, the pro scouts who have endless pro film on him, worked him out and interviewed him, have a far higher chance of determining a pro prospects worth than some draftnik who is lucky if he has some scetchy game film, has never worked him out and certainly hasn't interviewed him.
So exactly what are your standards because I don't think you can back up your claim???