PDA

View Full Version : TOP 50 Players

Denver Bronco99
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10225498

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts: You'd be hard-pressed to find people -- outside the Boston area, that is -- who would argue about him owning this spot now.

2. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots: He's just a hair behind Manning. Look out now, though, with all those receivers on the roster. This could be a special year for Brady.

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego Chargers: He's a sensational all-round weapon. If he plays long enough, he might break all the rushing records.

4. Champ Bailey, CB, Denver Broncos: He is the best defensive player in the league. You can compare him to Deion Sanders, which is high praise.

5. Carson Palmer, QB, Cincinnati Bengals: It took him a little while to get going after the knee injury, but he had another big year. He's right below Manning and Brady.

6. Walter Jones, T, Seattle Seahawks: You can always count on this guy to play at a Pro Bowl level. He's on his way to the Hall of Fame.

7. Chad Johnson, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: Along with Palmer, they make up the best of the young pass-catching duos in the league. Johnson really elevated his game in the second half of the 2006 season.

8. Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego Chargers: Getting 17 sacks in 12 games is dominance. He comes off the edge with force. Is the sack record possible? You bet.

9. Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers: He's only 27, which means he's just now reaching his peak. He has the tools to be a 16-sack guy every year. He can also play the run.

10. Brian Urlacher, LB, Chicago Bears: A few years ago, he was more reputation than production. Not anymore. He is now a dominant middle linebacker.

11. Richard Seymour, DE, New England Patriots: One of the class guys in the NFL is also one heck of a player. When he got hurt in the AFC Championship Game loss to the Colts, it really showed up on the defense.

12. Dwight Freeney, DE, Indianapolis Colts: His numbers were down last year, but he's still one of the most disruptive defensive players in the league.

13. John Henderson, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars: Coach Jack Del Rio said Henderson is the first three-gap tackle he's seen. That's as good as it gets. Why can't he get voted into the Pro Bowl?

14. Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans: It's too bad he plays in Houston because he doesn't get the due he deserves, especially since he has never really had an option on the other side.

Drew Brees, Jason Taylor, Ed Reed (Getty Images)
15. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints: He showed a lot skeptics -- including this writer -- that he wasn't just a product of the San Diego offense. He really fits with Saints coach Sean Payton's offense.

16. Jason Taylor, DE, Miami Dolphins: The NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2006 can still be a pass-rush force. What's more impressive is how much better he plays the run now.

17. Ed Reed, S, Baltimore Ravens: He's the most complete safety in the league. He has range and can tackle. He's the prototype for the modern safety.

18. Kevin Williams, DT, Minnesota Vikings: Playing next to Pat Williams, he's a big reason why the Vikings led the NFL in run defense.

19. Torry Holt, WR, St. Louis Rams: He's a pass-catching machine. For some reason, though, he never gets his due.

20. Larry Johnson, RB, Kansas City: For the second consecutive year, he put up huge numbers. He's a big-play threat every time he touches it.

Denver Bronco99
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
21. Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers: Gore had his breakout season in 2006. He's a tough, hard-nosed runner who pops with power through the hole.

22. Adrian Wilson, S, Arizona Cardinals: For the past three years, he has been one of the most underrated players in the league. Now he's a true Pro Bowl player.

23. Antonio Gates, TE, San Diego Chargers: He is such a valuable weapon in the middle of the field that he helps offset the fact the Chargers don't have a go-to receiver.

24. Jammal Brown, T, New Orleans Saints: His move from the right side to the left side was a smooth one. It earned him his first trip to the Pro Bowl. He will be there for a lot of years.

25. Steve Smith, WR, Carolina Panthers: He was banged up some last season with a hamstring injury, so he wasn't as explosive as usual. When he's 100 percent, he's lightning fast.

26. Marvin Harrison, WR, Indianapolis Colts: His ticket to the Hall is punched, yet there is no real fall-off in production as he ages.

27. Will Smith, DE, New Orleans Saints: Without him, the Saints defense would be in big trouble. When the opposing offense puts up points, he pins his ears and attacks. He's a force off the edge.

28. Tommie Harris, DT, Chicago Bears: He's coming off a hamstring injury, but when he's healthy he's a major disrupter inside. The Bears really missed him in the Super Bowl.

29. Steven Jackson, RB, St. Louis Rams: He had his breakout season in 2006 and the Rams expect even more. He's also a great pass-catcher out of the backfield.

30. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals: When he and Matt Leinart become more comfortable together, Fitzgerald's numbers will improve. He has the big-play ability all the great receivers need.

31. Shawn Andrews, G, Philadelphia Eagles: He physically dominates defenders. He's a power player who is also pretty good in pass protection.

32. Ray Lewis, LB, Baltimore Ravens: Some scouts say he's lost a step. If he has, he's still the best at his position in the AFC.

33. Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts: He's not just the other receiver on the Colts offense anymore. He could be the No. 1 wideout on a lot of teams.

34. DeAngelo Hall, CB, Atlanta Falcons: This gambling corner has a knack for the big play. He does get beat once in a while, but that's because he plays a lot of man coverage.

35. Steve Hutchinson, G, Minnesota Vikings: Some scouts say he didn't play as well with the Vikings as he did with Seattle, but he remains among the top at his position.

36. Lee Evans, WR, Buffalo Bills: He flashed star potential last season and should be even better in 2007. He's one of the rising players on this list.

37. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders: The Raiders have great history with corners and this is the next star. He showed shutdown ability last season.

38. Sean Taylor, S, Washington Redskins: This big-hitting safety has the range you like to play the pass. He plays with an attitude.

39. Donovan McNabb, QB, Philadelphia Eagles: McNabb is coming off a major knee injury, so there are still concerns. But he's still one of the better quarterbacks in the league.

40. Terence Newman, CB, Dallas Cowboys: It was shame he didn't play in the Pro Bowl last year. He was robbed.

41. Bob Sanders, S, Indianapolis Colts: He is small for the position, but he packs quite a punch. When he returned to the Colts lineup in the playoffs, you could see the impact.

42. Jonathan Ogden, T, Baltimore Ravens: He might not be as good as he was a few years ago, but he's still one of the better left tackles in the game.

43. Ty Warren, DE, New England Patriots: He's the most underrated player in the league. He could be on his way to his first Pro Bowl this season.

44. Kerry Rhodes, S, New York Jets: Most people would be shocked to see him on the list, but he had a Pro Bowl season in 2006. He will get his due this year.

45. Rashean Mathis, CB, Jacksonville Jaguars: He was selected to his first Pro Bowl last season, and the coaches say he's just scratched the surface of his talents.

46. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Kansas City Chiefs: Even though he's getting up in the years he is still a force in the middle of the field. He's happy now, too, since he received a new contract from the team.

47. Keith Bulluck, LB, Tennessee Titans: With the Titans defense struggling so much, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. The players who face him know how good he plays his position.

48. Marcus Stroud, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars: Were it not for injuries, he'd be much higher on this list.

49. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Dallas Cowboys: He's an explosive player who should really benefit from playing under Wade Phillips.

50. Jamal Williams, DT, San Diego Chargers: He's the best run-stuffing nose tackle in the league. He makes it tough to run on the Chargers.

MaxV
06-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Not a terrible list, though I don't agree with all of it.

bryanGENE
06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
No love for T.O.

Addict
06-15-2007, 10:30 AM
It's decent.

I LOL'd when I saw the message boards under the article, one topic was "where's Eli"

c'mon Eli Manning?!

ElectricEye
06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Steven Jackson at 29? C'mon.....

MaxV
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
how the hell is chad johnson not only the 7th best player in the nfl, but the best WR?

I disagree with that also, but you can make a case for him.

Smooth Criminal
06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't like that list at all. Theres alot of young guys that have really only had 1 good season or so and I think they are ranked way to high. PLus it has the most overrated player in the league (Ray Lewis) on it and thats enough to ruin it.

ricky bobby
06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Not a single Giant on there. Umenyiora should have deserved some consideration.

steelernation77
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
hmm kerry rhodes, sean taylor, bob sanders and adrian wilson but no troy polamalu

also no hines ward. Willie Parker is more deserving than several guys on this list.

Interesting that a team that won the Super Bowl a couple years ago has no players in the top 50?

ricky bobby
06-15-2007, 11:59 AM
hmm kerry rhodes, sean taylor, bob sanders and adrian wilson but no troy polamalu

also no hines ward. Willie Parker is more deserving than several guys on this list.

Interesting that a team that won the Super Bowl a couple years ago has no players in the top 50?
Hines Ward and Polamulu deserve to be on there. If you add guys, you have to take guys off so i'd remove Ty Warren and Kerry Rhodes.

Edit: They have Lee Evans and Reggie Wayne over Hines Ward. Somebody must have really put a lot of thought into this list.

Ewing
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
34. DeAngelo Hall, CB, Atlanta Falcons: This gambling corner has a knack for the big play. He does get beat once in a while, but that's because he plays a lot of man coverage.

45. Rashean Mathis, CB, Jacksonville Jaguars: He was selected to his first Pro Bowl last season, and the coaches say he's just scratched the surface of his talents.

Anybody want to explain how DeAngelo Hall is a better corner than Rashean Mathis? How did Nnamdi Asomugha who has had only one good year make the list but Chris McAllister didn't?

SuperMcGee
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
It's decent.

I LOL'd when I saw the message boards under the article, one topic was "where's Eli"

c'mon Eli Manning?!

Just looking through about 4 topics about that article, I've already seen more idiots than there are here. Their homerism, use of undefining stats, and overall idiocy is just mind blowing.

Ewing
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Wait a ****ing second. Troy Polamalu didn't make the list but Sean Taylor who can't play worth a damn in coverage did?

ShutDwn
06-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Andre Johnson is not better than Smith. No one on the other side, **** look at Smith's situation.

Chad Johnson isn't that good either. Smith and Holt should be higher. I don't really feel like arguing who is best right now so I will leave it at that.

KCJ58
06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Steven Jackson is way before Frank Gore and Andre Johnson is not b4 Torry Holt

Paul
06-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Woohoo! Newman and ware.

OhioState
06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
i would put LT above Brady, the man is unstoppable.

OhioState
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
does kevin williams really deserve a top 20 selection, i think not

bearfan
06-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Sean Taylor, Ware and Bob Sanders need to be ranked higher. I think you put a lot of offensive guys who are good over a lot of defensive guys that are great.

DChess
06-15-2007, 12:47 PM
i strongly disagree with johnson at 7, and brees should be in the top 10

AlexDown
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Do any of you feel Jonathan Vilma should be on the list somewhere? How about Kerry Rhodes being on the list?

Ewing
06-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Do any of you feel Jonathan Vilma should be on the list somewhere? How about Kerry Rhodes being on the list?

Vilma would be in the top ten if he played in a Tampa Two. Sadly, he's stuck in a 3-4 so he probably deserves 20-35.

scottyboy
06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Will Smith and Ty Warren, but no Strahan or Osi. im a homer, but thats a crime

reese
06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
this list is terrible to me...

no zach thomas?..deangelo hall is on the list and thats just wrong....steven jackson should be higher....the fact that hines ward isnt on there is crazy...

but at least the is 3 uga players on there

d34ng3l021
06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Damn. Only one Falcon? And Hall did not play that much man either...does he watch him play?

MasterShake
06-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Steven Jackson is way before Frank Gore and Andre Johnson is not b4 Torry Holt

While I agree Jackson is a great back and too low on the list, he is not clearly better than Frank Gore. When Jackson runs against 8 in the box for an entire season and averages 5.4 yards per carry....then I will put him head and shoulders above Gore, until then....I think they are very close.

jkpigskin
06-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't like that list at all. Theres alot of young guys that have really only had 1 good season or so and I think they are ranked way to high. PLus it has the most overrated player in the league (Ray Lewis) on it and thats enough to ruin it.

wtf do you have against ray?

Phrost
06-15-2007, 03:56 PM
No Bucs eh?

someone447
06-15-2007, 04:16 PM
At least one Packer should be on there, either Kampmann or Harris.

MasterShake
06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
on the other hand, one could say "this is a discussion when frank gore has done it for more than a single nfl season".

I agree with that thought when talking about placement in the top 50, but when comparing Gore and Jackson....Jackson has only played an an elite level for 1 year as well.

ncstateviking
06-15-2007, 04:26 PM
i agree. vilma is a top 20 player in a 43. until he shows he can adjust this year i dont think he warrants the top 50.

however, kerry rhodes is a much better saftery than polamolu. if he didnt have that hair and have been on a superbowl team, people wouldnt overrate him so much.

also, the reason there isnt alot of steelers on the list is because none of them are that good. every player on the steelers is a solid servicable pro. thats how they won a superbowl and thats also why none are on the list. how many superstars are on the steelers though? none.

MasterShake
06-15-2007, 04:48 PM
*shrug*

2 1000-yard seasons, 2 seasons over 40 catches, both years >10 TDs... granted he's only been amazing for one year, but that's still two years of solid production. meh, not that i think jackson is hands down better (at this point, next season will tell a lot), but i can see why someone might argue that he is.

Yeah, it can be argued that Jackson is better, but it can also be argued that Gore is better. Thats pretty much my point hehe.

umphrey
06-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I disagree with a lot of this list. There are players with 1 or 0 pro bowl seasons and Gonzalez isn't even really a top tight end anymore, he's just good now, just to name a few of my gripes.

Ewing
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
however, kerry rhodes is a much better saftery than polamolu. if he didnt have that hair and have been on a superbowl team, people wouldnt overrate him so much.

When Rhodes does it for more than a year then I'll put him ahead of Polamalu. Rhodes is good but he's not as good as Polamalu.

Go_Eagles77
06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Wheres Brian Dawkins? Kerry Rhodes had 1 good year and all of a sudden he's better than Dawkins? Sean Taylor shouldn't even be ahead of him.

Ewing
06-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Wheres Brian Dawkins? Kerry Rhodes had 1 good year and all of a sudden he's better than Dawkins? Sean Taylor shouldn't even be ahead of him.

Woah, you're right. I just noticed Dawkins isn't on the list yet Sean Taylor is. I'd have Dawkins in the top fifteen.

neko4
06-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Where on god's green earth is Aaron Kampman?

Ravens1991
06-15-2007, 05:11 PM

He is a Steelers fan that is probably why.

Hines
06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
also no casey hampton

this list is wack

Shiver
06-15-2007, 05:39 PM
There is not one article I would ever read that has "http://cbs.sportsline.com" in the url.

kalbears13
06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
No Browns? For some reason I'm not surprised...

ncstateviking
06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
steelers fans think every player on their team should be in the top 50. parker, ward, hampton, troy. what about faneca and big ben guys? evidently every player on their team is the best at their position.

Hines
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
steelers fans think every player on their team should be in the top 50. parker, ward, hampton, troy. what about faneca and big ben guys? evidently every player on their team is the best at their position.

ya your dumb

hampton,parker,and troy is one of the best at their position

duckseason
06-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, although I disagree with a lot of this list as well, I think it's important to realize that 50 players averages out to about one and a half per team. Some teams will have 3, and some teams will have 0. No way should a guy like Willie Parker be considered among the top 50 players, imo. He isn't even among the very best at his position. Neither is Ward. Unless you think there are a dozen WR's among the top 50 players in the game.

Caddy
06-15-2007, 07:30 PM
A distinct lack of Buccaneers on that list. I think Ronde Barber deserves his name being thrown out there, maybe even Derrick Brooks.

Hines
06-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, although I disagree with a lot of this list as well, I think it's important to realize that 50 players averages out to about one and a half per team. Some teams will have 3, and some teams will have 0. No way should a guy like Willie Parker be considered among the top 50 players, imo. He isn't even among the very best at his position. Neither is Ward. Unless you think there are a dozen WR's among the top 50 players in the game.

number 5 in the league and he aint one of the best at his position

also 2 straight 1000 yard seasons and he was an undrafted free agent

duckseason
06-15-2007, 07:51 PM

Oh, I certainly agree that he is a very good RB. The fact that he rose up out of oblivion is also very impressive. I just don't believe he is a first-tier back. There are guys who are clearly better, and a whole slew of others who people will argue are better than Parker. Let me remind you of some of the Backs that currently grace NFL fields across the country-

Tomlinson
L. Johnson
S. Jackson
Westbrook
Gore
R. Johnson
Portis
Alexander
R. Brown
Caddy
McAllister
Dunn
McGahee
Maroney
Jones-Drew
F.Taylor
T. Jones
James
Bush
Addai

There's 20 off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Not saying they are all better than Parker, I'm just saying that there are people who would argue for a lot of them. Sure Parker posted good production last year as the Steelers full time back, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't be just as capable in a similar situation. Do you think Adrian Peterson couldn't walk into Heinz field and claim the starting job almost immediately? I don't see how anybody other than a Steeler fan could sit there and claim Parker as one of the 5 best RB's in the game today. Do the steelers have a top 5 Running game? Probably. That's their bread and butter. But Parker is one cog in a big-ass well-established wheel. Easily replaceable.

Hines
06-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh, I certainly agree that he is a very good RB. The fact that he rose up out of oblivion is also very impressive. I just don't believe he is a first-tier back. There are guys who are clearly better, and a whole slew of others who people will argue are better than Parker. Let me remind you of some of the Backs that currently grace NFL fields across the country-

Tomlinson
L. Johnson
S. Jackson
Westbrook
Gore
R. Johnson
Portis
Alexander
R. Brown
Caddy
McAllister
Dunn
McGahee
Maroney
Jones-Drew
F.Taylor
T. Jones
James
Bush
Addai

There's 20 off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Not saying they are all better than Parker, I'm just saying that there are people who would argue for a lot of them. Sure Parker posted good production last year as the Steelers full time back, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't be just as capable in a similar situation. Do you think Adrian Peterson couldn't walk into Heinz field and claim the starting job almost immediately? I don't see how anybody other than a Steeler fan could sit there and claim Parker as one of the 5 best RB's in the game today. Do the steelers have a top 5 Running game? Probably. That's their bread and butter. But Parker is one cog in a big-ass well-established wheel. Easily replaceable.

now i dont wanna sound like a homer but i would only take
lt
lj
gore
jackson
portis
and debatable rudi over willie. see willie is somethin that pitt fans have not expierenced yet. people complain about him cuz hes not the type of back that the steelers need. actually he is. u may be able to replace him but not the speed. i expect willie, with the new offence, to post better numbers this season, but all in all this is jsut my opinion

KCJ58
06-15-2007, 07:58 PM
1. Lt
2. Lj
3. Sj
4. Fg
5. Sa

Paul
06-15-2007, 08:00 PM

1000yds seasons are not as impressive as they used to be, and him being undrafted is pretty much irrelevant in the context of this list. Even though last season he was just beastly, 1500yds and 10+ td's, the person making the list probably had other variables that they looked for. What it could be I don't know. But you and Willi will live. It's one list, no big deal.

duckseason
06-15-2007, 08:07 PM
now i dont wanna sound like a homer but i would only take
lt
lj
gore
jackson
portis
and debatable rudi over willie. see willie is somethin that pitt fans have not expierenced yet. people complain about him cuz hes not the type of back that the steelers need. actually he is. u may be able to replace him but not the speed. i expect willie, with the new offence, to post better numbers this season, but all in all this is jsut my opinion
Yeah I hear you. You love your team, and you couldn't imagine giving up Parker for somebody else. When rating him, you naturally place him at the top of the list of guys that it's debatable whether they're better or not. Trust me, his speed is replaceable. There are a ton of very quick backs in this league right now. Running Back is probably the deepest position in the league. There is a surplus for sure. I think a guy like DeAngelo Williams or Jerious Norwood would be absolutely studly as the Steelers full time back. I think a lot of guys would. I don't mean to minimize Parkers accomplishments, but I just don't see him as a top 5 back at this point. Not based on his own merits alone. I think most GM's would take a guy like Laurence Maroney well before they took Parker.

Hines
06-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah I hear you. You love your team, and you couldn't imagine giving up Parker for somebody else. When rating him, you naturally place him at the top of the list of guys that it's debatable whether they're better or not. Trust me, his speed is replaceable. There are a ton of very quick backs in this league right now. Running Back is probably the deepest position in the league. There is a surplus for sure. I think a guy like DeAngelo Williams or Jerious Norwood would be absolutely studly as the Steelers full time back. I think a lot of guys would. I don't mean to minimize Parkers accomplishments, but I just don't see him as a top 5 back at this point. Not based on his own merits alone. I think most GM's would take a guy like Laurence Maroney well before they took Parker.

while i do agree with that but parker is also gettin better. he hasnt touched the roof of his potential yet. i believe if he keeps workin on it then he can become the best in the league.

while norwood and williams might be beastly, parker is bigger than both of them and i know willie can pound it inside unlike williams and norwood. i would like to have those two but id take willie over them two.

Dam8610
06-15-2007, 08:54 PM
At least they got #1 right. What happened to all the ridiculous Drew Brees love? And why are Chad Johnson and Sean Taylor so ridiculously overrated?

The Unseen
06-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Anybody want to explain how DeAngelo Hall is a better corner than Rashean Mathis? How did Nnamdi Asomugha who has had only one good year make the list but Chris McAllister didn't?

Which surprises me, since Prisco is a Jags homer.

ncstateviking
06-15-2007, 09:48 PM
you call me dumb and then say parker is an elite back? parker is a no one. i would take at least 10 RB before parker. and hampton is one of the top 34 NT. however, he is not the run away number one. he is among the top 5. but i dont think many of them should be considered among the top 50 players in the league. when you figure in the tampa 2 DT's, i dont think there needs to be 10 DT in the top 50 in the league. and troy is not that good. rhodes is better. he was good as a rookie and incredible as a sophmore. troy has always been overrated because your scheme allows him to freelance alot more. if all safetys were allowed to do that troy wouldnt even be special none the less the elite you claim him to be. and ward is not a top 10 reciever. many teams have better #2 recievers than ward.

7-11
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
i think brian dawkins has to the biggets ommision, the guy is argueably a top 3 safety in the game and hes been ocmpletely barred, i think prisco has gone a little youthy on this list...yes youthy is a word

7-11
06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
im gonna try to go against the hoemristic trend and say that dwight freeeney is slightly high. dont get me wrong, awesome player and the most influential player on our D (when he isnt playing injured hes slightly above bob imo)but 12 is pretty lofty. id have to say ed reed is better at what he does then freeney

7-11
06-15-2007, 10:41 PM
one more thing; do you think this list would change substantially if the importance of the position in dictating the ranking was thrown out the window? like you could say vinitieri is better at his job then some of those players are at their own respective position

sweetness34
06-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Where the **** is Olin Kruetz? Hutchinson is on that list and Kruetz isn't? Hutch sucked this year. ********.

And yes I know they don't play the same position but the best C in all of football isn't on that top 50 list? Come on.

duckseason
06-15-2007, 10:55 PM
one more thing; do you think this list would change substantially if the importance of the position in dictating the ranking was thrown out the window? like you could say vinitieri is better at his job then some of those players are at their own respective position

I think it would change slightly. It would still be a meaningless list though. I think a lot of people here could do better. But yeah, I think anytime you make a list like this with such a broad scope, you need to include some defined criteria in the header. If I were to go through the effort to do one, it would be based purely on my own perception of who I think are currently the best players. So stats wouldn't play a huge role. So I probably wouldn't have too many real young guys, or too many real old guys. Just the current cream of the crop. But I don't personally know enough about every guy in the league to make a real accurate list. I think that's why so many people end up leaning on stats and reputation. They simply haven't seen everybody play enough to accurately gauge where they all rank among each other.

reese
06-16-2007, 01:33 AM
you call me dumb and then say parker is an elite back? parker is a no one. i would take at least 10 RB before parker. and hampton is one of the top 34 NT. however, he is not the run away number one. he is among the top 5. but i dont think many of them should be considered among the top 50 players in the league. when you figure in the tampa 2 DT's, i dont think there needs to be 10 DT in the top 50 in the league. and troy is not that good. rhodes is better. he was good as a rookie and incredible as a sophmore. troy has always been overrated because your scheme allows him to freelance alot more. if all safetys were allowed to do that troy wouldnt even be special none the less the elite you claim him to be. and ward is not a top 10 reciever. many teams have better #2 recievers than ward.

who has a no. 2 better then ward?....

Dam8610
06-16-2007, 01:37 AM
who has a no. 2 better then ward?....

Reggie Wayne

Phrost
06-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Sean Taylor doesn't deserve his rank.

ncstateviking
06-16-2007, 05:38 AM
colts do (wayne), cards do (boldin), bengals do (housh),

and they are old but an arguement could be made for

cowboys (glenn) and rams (bruce).

and by next year argueably jets (cotchery) and lions (CJ) could very easily be ahead of ward.

like i said, hines is a solid WR. but by no means is he even a candidate for top 50.

Smooth Criminal
06-16-2007, 07:50 AM

The fact that he is simply not as good as he tries to make himself out to be. He used to be a great player but he isn't the same guy anymore and everyone still acts like the's the best MLB in the game.

Just watch him play. I think your a Raven's fan so I'm sure you do. I'm sure you've seen his favorite tactic of just hopping on the pile after the play is over. Then he gets us chest pounding like he made some great play.

I'm just sick of him really. From all of his interviews about how good to his to his SI cover saying "God's linebacker". He is the most overrated player in the game.

reese
06-16-2007, 12:46 PM
colts do (wayne), cards do (boldin), bengals do (housh),

and they are old but an arguement could be made for

cowboys (glenn) and rams (bruce).

and by next year argueably jets (cotchery) and lions (CJ) could very easily be ahead of ward.

like i said, hines is a solid WR. but by no means is he even a candidate for top 50.

wayne yes
boldin yes
but the rest of the guys no...and to bring up calvin johnson who hasnt even stepped on the field yet is ignorant...and despite what u or cbs sportsline says...ive seen multiple interviews over the past couple years where NFL PLAYERS AND COACHES say that hines ward is THE BEST alll around reciever in the game....now ill agree wayne and boldin are probley better pass catchers but as far as a football player and doing everything that has to be done...catching and blocking...hines ward is definatly one of the tops in the league

Man_Of_Steel
06-16-2007, 01:43 PM
All those safetys and no Troy Polamalu, what a joke.

Ravens1991
06-16-2007, 05:43 PM
The fact that he is simply not as good as he tries to make himself out to be. He used to be a great player but he isn't the same guy anymore and everyone still acts like the's the best MLB in the game.

Just watch him play. I think your a Raven's fan so I'm sure you do. I'm sure you've seen his favorite tactic of just hopping on the pile after the play is over. Then he gets us chest pounding like he made some great play.

I'm just sick of him really. From all of his interviews about how good to his to his SI cover saying "God's linebacker". He is the most overrated player in the game.

99.5% of the people on this board admit Urlacher is better

I am preety sure they call him Gods LB because he is religious person and not making it out like he is a LB god.

keylime_5
06-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith are both better than Andre Johnson. Torry Holt is too. Nothing against Andre, but those are both better players.

Hines
06-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith are both better than Andre Johnson. Torry Holt is too. Nothing against Andre, but those are both better players.

i agree with that but imo if andre had consistant qb play hed be the best in the league

steelernation77
06-16-2007, 06:34 PM

I am preety sure they call him Gods LB because he is religious person and not making it out like he is a LB god.

I guess he must've forgotten the 10 commandments that one night in Atlanta...

Ravens1991
06-16-2007, 07:32 PM
there is no need to bring religion into this it is against the rules.

remix 6
06-16-2007, 08:10 PM
wayne yes
boldin yes
but the rest of the guys no...and to bring up calvin johnson who hasnt even stepped on the field yet is ignorant...and despite what u or cbs sportsline says...ive seen multiple interviews over the past couple years where NFL PLAYERS AND COACHES say that hines ward is THE BEST alll around reciever in the game....now ill agree wayne and boldin are probley better pass catchers but as far as a football player and doing everything that has to be done...catching and blocking...hines ward is definatly one of the tops in the league

Lions had a beast duo before Calvin

Furrey: 98 catches 1086 yards 6 TDs

pretty good for a guy not ROY WILLIAMS on the lions

jackalope
06-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Disappointing to not see any Packers on there. I would definitely have included Aaron Kampman. Kampman had 10 more sacks last year then Dwight Freeney, who is 12 on that list, so I'm surprised he isn't anywhere in the top 50.

reese
06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Lions had a beast duo before Calvin

Furrey: 98 catches 1086 yards 6 TDs

pretty good for a guy not ROY WILLIAMS on the lions

was there a point to this post?...i only ask that becuz u quoted me b4 it and didnt respond to anything i said in ur post

Im_a_Romosexual
06-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Disappointing to not see any Packers on there. I would definitely have included Aaron Kampman. Kampman had 10 more sacks last year then Dwight Freeney, who is 12 on that list, so I'm surprised he isn't anywhere in the top 50.

IMO Freeney is the best pass rusher in the NFL and although last year he only had 5 and 1/2, but before 2006 he had 11, 16, 11 and then 13 his rookie year.

Ravens1991
06-16-2007, 11:44 PM
IMO Freeney is the best pass rusher in the NFL and although last year he only had 5 and 1/2, but before 2006 he had 11, 16, 11 and then 13 his rookie year.

Yea but pass rushing isnt the only role of a DE, run stopping is also very important, and Kampman had 89 tackles I believe, along w/ 15.5 sacks I think. I think Aaron Kampman should be in the top 50.

Phrost
06-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Yea but pass rushing isnt the only role of a DE, run stopping is also very important, and Kampman had 89 tackles I believe, along w/ 15.5 sacks I think. I think Aaron Kampman should be in the top 50.

Kampman is ******* amazing.

ncstateviking
06-16-2007, 11:51 PM
julius peppers is by far the best DE in the league. it isnt even close really.

Hines
06-16-2007, 11:51 PM
kampman is the **** dude. i was mad when he chose green bay again over pittsburgh

JK17
06-17-2007, 12:03 AM

Pass rushing DE, maybe. There are plenty of 3-4 OLB's, starting in SD and Baltimore who rush the passer pretty well...I wouldn't hesitate to say better then Freeney.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Man, after reading 4 pages of people bickering about something that is so obviously subjective, and seeing so many people just talk about their team, its almost nausiating.

Dawkins got hooped. Kruetz got hooped. I'm sure others did too, but i don't feel like looking at the list, rather just what people have said.

Parker isn't Top50 because of the depth at RB, u include him, u include that whole tier of RBs and the list isn't that long. 50 sounds like alot of players, but in reality, it isn't and only the best of the best can make it. Ward is to iffy for my liking, but is close. He's an all-around WR, but its more of an arguement then a claim at this point.

Rhodes has been very solid since he entered the league, and its nice to see him on there. i don't care if this was his first 'real good year', as its only his 2nd year and he played great.

Troy P gets alot of hype, and Taylor gets recognized as better than he is sometimes, but he does make alot of game changing plays, only problem is that some this past season weren't for his team. He is better then he played and IMO he is still a top 50 player and he'll show it sooner than later.

I saw vilma discussed so i have to comment. I think he's on the bubble, but am happy he didn't make the list. it wouldn't be fair. In a 4-3 i agree he would be beastly, and i truly wish he was playing in a 4-3, but he's not, and at this point (and maybe forever) as long as he's in a 3-4 i don't think he will be top50, but on the bubble. Great player in the wrong system.

Casey Hampton is damn good at what he does. i'd have to check the list again to make an arguement for him

Hines
06-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Man, after reading 4 pages of people bickering about something that is so obviously subjective, and seeing so many people just talk about their team, its almost nausiating.

Dawkins got hooped. Kruetz got hooped. I'm sure others did too, but i don't feel like looking at the list, rather just what people have said.

Parker isn't Top50 because of the depth at RB, u include him, u include that whole tier of RBs and the list isn't that long. 50 sounds like alot of players, but in reality, it isn't and only the best of the best can make it. Ward is to iffy for my liking, but is close. He's an all-around WR, but its more of an arguement then a claim at this point.

Rhodes has been very solid since he entered the league, and its nice to see him on there. i don't care if this was his first 'real good year', as its only his 2nd year and he played great.

Troy P gets alot of hype, and Taylor gets recognized as better than he is sometimes, but he does make alot of game changing plays, only problem is that some this past season weren't for his team. He is better then he played and IMO he is still a top 50 player and he'll show it sooner than later.

I saw vilma discussed so i have to comment. I think he's on the bubble, but am happy he didn't make the list. it wouldn't be fair. In a 4-3 i agree he would be beastly, and i truly wish he was playing in a 4-3, but he's not, and at this point (and maybe forever) as long as he's in a 3-4 i don't think he will be top50, but on the bubble. Great player in the wrong system.

Casey Hampton is damn good at what he does. i'd have to check the list again to make an arguement for him

casey aint on there and its a shame. top 3 dt in the league imo

Dam8610
06-17-2007, 12:42 AM
casey aint on there and its a shame. top 3 dt in the league imo

Jamal Williams
Tommie Harris
John Henderson
Marcus Stroud

Who would you put Hampton ahead of on that list?

Hines
06-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Jamal Williams
Tommie Harris
John Henderson
Marcus Stroud

Who would you put Hampton ahead of on that list?

id put jamal and casey as the same.

my top 5 dts

1.seymour
2.stroud
3.wiliams/hampton
4.harris
5.henderson

Moses
06-17-2007, 01:12 AM

I can think of a bunch of pass rushers I would rate ahead of Freeney now. He's a one-trick pony and his fundamentals at times are horrendous. He's also a complete non-factor against the run. The guy does spin moves. I can't believe his coaches actually allow that type of play.

Dam8610
06-17-2007, 01:29 AM
I can think of a bunch of pass rushers I would rate ahead of Freeney now. He's a one-trick pony and his fundamentals at times are horrendous. He's also a complete non-factor against the run. The guy does spin moves. I can't believe his coaches actually allow that type of play.

The scheme calls for him to take the outside route to the QB most of the time, which takes him out of a lot of running plays. Why do you think the draw to his side is usually effective? It's because most of the time Meeks called for him to run a loop route to the E gap, taking him out of any chance of maintaining his gap against the run (D), and creating a schematic hole in the defense for the opposing running game. When Freeney isn't asked to try to run around the LT, he holds his own against the run.

BlindSite
06-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Shawne Merriman is a steroid cheat, he doesn't belong anywhere near the top.

Phrost
06-17-2007, 01:45 AM

Finally someone agrees with me.

Phrost
06-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Hey The Great Johnathan Vilma, I read somewhere that Vilma was on the block early in the season last year. This true?

ncstateviking
06-17-2007, 03:27 AM
vilma was kind of somewhat on the block. our FO took the he isnt untouchable make a good offer approach. nothing even remotely serious outside of some hypothetical talks came of it though.

and hampton is a top 3 NT in a 34. if you are counting all DT he isnt top 5.

TheChampIsHere
06-17-2007, 04:39 AM

Kampman has had 1 big year though. If he follows it up with another big year, Im sure he'll be cracking every top 50. If we just decided who the top players were based on the previous season it would be silly. We could take a guy like Vandenbosch who was in incredible in 05, but it would be silly to call him a top player before we see if he follows it up because sure enough the next season, while he still played pretty good, he was not the player he was the year before, leading the league in sacks almost all season. My point, players gotta prove that they didnt just have one good season, especially when its guys who dont have phenomenal talent and game-changing ability like Aaron Kampman. For me, a guy like Reggie Bush Ill put in my top 50 right now, because of his phenomenal talent and game-changing ability. And in Freeney's case, year in year out this guy is one of the most disruptive defensive players in the league since he entered the NFL and he has phenomenal talent and game-changing ability. He can dominate a game like no other DL can do and he is the most important player on that Colt defense.

fenikz
06-17-2007, 04:44 AM
how is Anquan Boldin not on this list?

he has had only one year with under 1200 yards and he was injured for most of it

duckseason
06-17-2007, 05:40 AM
how is Anquan Boldin not on this list?

he has had only one year with under 1200 yards and he was injured for most of it

Well, because it's a list of the 50 best players. If you average it out, that really only leaves room for around 3 players per position. So there should really only be maybe 5 WR's tops on this list. Is Anquan a top 5 WR? Not in my opinion. Although I like him a lot, he doesn't quite break into that first tier for me.

Also, this list is just a heaping pile of stale dog poop. Completely meaningless.

remix 6
06-17-2007, 07:37 AM
id put jamal and casey as the same.

my top 5 dts

1.seymour
2.stroud
3.wiliams/hampton
4.harris
5.henderson

seymour is a DE. Wilfork should be sniffing top 5 as a DT :)

jonbrodo17
06-17-2007, 08:06 AM
y wasn't Brian Dawkins on this list????

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Where the hell is Cutler?

Oh man, when the apocalypse comes, he will not save whoever wrote this one, let me tell you.

JK17
06-17-2007, 09:12 AM

What makes Julius Peppers so much different. Both took an illegal substance, both claim it was a mistake, and both were suspended four games for it. Even if Peppers didn't take "steroids", he took a banned substance. So, if your gonna eliminate Merriman, what gives Peppers an expemption.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-17-2007, 09:18 AM
What makes Julius Peppers so much different. Both took an illegal substance, both claim it was a mistake, and both were suspended four games for it. Even if Peppers didn't take "steroids", he took a banned substance. So, if your gonna eliminate Merriman, what gives Peppers an expemption.

Well for Merriman, if he can duplicate last year's numbers without a failed drug test this year, in my mind, he'll be alright. Peppers' test was years ago, and he hasn't failed since and obviously has still been great, so he is already absolved. Of course, not all people are that forgiving.

ncstateviking
06-17-2007, 10:17 AM
you said it yourself. there is a huge difference between steriods and banned substance. alot of over the counter medicine for a cold you might give a child will make an NFL player fail a test. its a big difference.

Shiver
06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I loved the feigned ignorance. The fact is every "freak" player is most likely on steroids. Players have become exponentially bigger and faster. If anything, Shawne Merriman is stupid for being caught. That said; I would be shocked if Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher, etc, weren't on steroids/HGH.

ricky bobby
06-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I loved the feigned ignorance. The fact is every "freak" player is most likely on steroids. Players have become exponentially bigger and faster. If anything, Shawne Merriman is stupid for being caught. That said; I would be shocked if Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher, etc, weren't on steroids/HGH.
Add Vernon Davis to that list. Calvin Johnson???

Shiver
06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Vernon Davis, definitely. DeMarcus Ware is technically stronger pound for pound and faster at that, so him too.

Hines
06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Vernon Davis, definitely. DeMarcus Ware is technically stronger pound for pound and faster at that, so him too.

what about andre johnson

Shiver
06-17-2007, 11:24 AM
My point is; we shouldn't kill Shawne Merriman for doing what everyone else is doing. We should kill him for being stupid enough to be caught, while everyone else gets away with it.

ncstateviking
06-17-2007, 12:04 PM
if julius peppers is on steriods he has been since high school. my boy went to his highschool and said he was that big as a sophmore.

not saying that is an impossibility. but some people just win the genetic lottery.

JK17
06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Well for Merriman, if he can duplicate last year's numbers without a failed drug test this year, in my mind, he'll be alright. Peppers' test was years ago, and he hasn't failed since and obviously has still been great, so he is already absolved. Of course, not all people are that forgiving.

Oh I know, I don't hold Peppers in that light any more, he's been clean since then, I'm just saying if your going to label Merriman a "steroid cheat" like one poster did, I don't know how you can turn around in another thread and act like Peppers is the second coming.

Smooth Criminal
06-17-2007, 03:52 PM

He still thinks he's better and he'll tell that to any camera thats in front of him.

I just hate the way he conducts himself on the field as well as oof. And I'm not even refering to the incident in Atlanta. I'm talking about his interviews and such where he comes off as a self absorbed prick.

Ravens1991
06-17-2007, 10:04 PM
OK that you think he is a jerk but this isnt the 50 best attitude team.

JK17
06-17-2007, 10:08 PM
He still thinks he's better and he'll tell that to any camera thats in front of him.

I just hate the way he conducts himself on the field as well as oof. And I'm not even refering to the incident in Atlanta. I'm talking about his interviews and such where he comes off as a self absorbed prick.

True, I could see that, but Ray Lewis isn't the only guy in the NFL with that attitude...in fact, aside from a select few most of those guys are cocky, and self-absorbed. To play at that kind of level, you have to think your the best, or you'll get eaten up out there...so I don't think you can fault him because he is proud of the way he plays. Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens are ego-maniacs, but no one questions their receiving skills. Deion Sanders was cocky, but no one questions his level of play because of that attitude...

I think your selling Ray short based more because you don't like him, then that he isn't a good player anymore. His ability has fallen as he's gotten older, but he's still one of the best LBs out there.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Hey The Great Johnathan Vilma, I read somewhere that Vilma was on the block early in the season last year. This true?

ya, that was true. i'm just happy it didn't lead to anything, might have just been speculation. who knows

Phrost
06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
ya, that was true. i'm just happy it didn't lead to anything, might have just been speculation. who knows

Bucs were suitors I can only hope they will try again this year with Quarles retiring.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Although RayRays play has dropped off of late, and i'll agree him being included in the list might be open for debate, he is still better than u appear to be making him out to be. He is still a solid LB who is better than most guys out there, and his attitude doesn't have anything to do with his play on the field. As stated earlier, many players do/have to feel that way in order to play their best. not all, but many, it gives them an edge if not physically, it will mentally.

Although Merriman was caught, its not like he's a slouch to begin with. He came into the league as a physcial specimen, and i would assume he took a test coming into the league. Do they test on the offseason? i'd assume so, but i'm not certain. He had a monster year his rookie year, even when starting late. He played good post suspension. And i'm pretty damn positive u can count on big things into the future.

I agree with Shiver and JK in that as a fan, what u don't know certainly makes u ignorant. To think that a large number of players aren't on steroids or HGH (especially HGH) is just not thinking logically. Frick, the damn kicker/punter of the panthers, along with like 4 other players got caught. A KICKER!!! ur going to tell me that players who take real physical beatings and who's stregth and speed play an even more important role in there performance aren't?? although many i'm sure aren't, and there are many people who are just naturally physically special, u can bet ur bottom dollar more athletes are 'cheats' then u are lead to believe.

i guess its innocent until proven guilty though.......i just can't believe it, but i won't pass judgment. i love the game and what they do, wish it could be clean, but thats wishful (or is it?) thinking.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Bucs were suitors I can only hope they will try again this year with Quarles retiring.

i certainly hope not, i'd ahve to shell out another $200 for another Jersey

Phrost
06-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Not exactly illogical TGJV, HGH isn't catchable.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-17-2007, 11:38 PM
exactly, does that make it better though??

had Merriman just used HGH we wouldn't even have this discussion

Phrost
06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
exactly, does that make it better though??

had Merriman just used HGH we wouldn't even have this discussion

Luckily for the NFL he is just an idiot.

ny10804
06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Disappointed Kampman isn't there. As a D-linemen, he had the most sacks and tackles in the NFL in 2006. He tied for the NFC lead in tackles by a D-lineman in 2005.

RaiderNation
06-18-2007, 12:03 AM
raiders only have 1 top 50 player according to that lol. pretty sad for us

Phrost
06-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Buccaneers have 0. Not too sad for them but yeah.

06-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Every sports league needs to adopt blood testing. You cannot find HGH in the basic urine sample tests. Only bloodwork can find it.

Phrost
06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Every sports league needs to adopt blood testing. You cannot find HGH in the basic urine sample tests. Only bloodwork can find it.

and that would be expensive. Expensive things don't usually go through in the NFL.

06-18-2007, 12:33 AM
and that would be expensive. Expensive things don't usually go through in the NFL.

Suprising, is it not? The richest league in North America cannot afford to chalk up a couple hundred grand to make sure they have the cleanest product on the field. I for one want a league of clean, hardworking athletes who get where they are by their own abilities, not some drugs.

Phrost
06-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Suprising, is it not? The richest league in North America cannot afford to chalk up a couple hundred grand to make sure they have the cleanest product on the field. I for one want a league of clean, hardworking athletes who go where they are by their own abilities, not some drugs.

Quite pathetic actually.

Smooth Criminal
06-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Steelers have 0. But the difference is we still have majority of a superbowl team here while Oakland just had the first overall pick.

Im_a_Romosexual
06-18-2007, 07:53 AM
raiders only have 1 top 50 player according to that lol. pretty good for us

fixed :) j/k

ncstateviking
06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
i really dont care near as much as most people if people are juiced or not. unless its proven ill assume their clean because i really dont care.

Ewing
06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Steelers have 0. But the difference is we still have majority of a superbowl team here while Oakland just had the first overall pick.

Other than Polamalu and maybe Hampton who belongs up there?