PDA

View Full Version : Texan homers slam draft grade

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
http://boards.houstontexans.com/forums/1/25896/ShowThread.aspx

Complete bunch of homers. IMO they had the worst draft. Addressing no pressing needs till round 3 and even then it was a bad pick.

They easily could have traded down with Denver and snagged Staley and a decent safety or reciever with the 2nd rounder. Hell even the Okoye pick could have been avoided and addressing their Safety position selecting Reggie Nelson. I would probably even reached for guys like Bowe or Meachem there as well.

Why would any team also spend 4 first rounders in a row on one part of the team?

I also think Jacoby Jones was a bad pick and he really doesn't add anything different to what they already have outside of Andre Johnson.

remix 6
06-17-2007, 06:43 AM
http://boards.houstontexans.com/forums/1/25896/ShowThread.aspx

Complete bunch of homers. IMO they had the worst draft. Addressing no pressing needs till round 3 and even then it was a bad pick.

They easily could have traded down with Denver and snagged Staley and a decent safety or reciever with the 2nd rounder. Hell even the Okoye pick could have been avoided and addressing their Safety position selecting Reggie Nelson. I would probably even reached for guys like Bowe or Meachem there as well.

Why would any team also spend 4 first rounders in a row on one part of the team?

I also think Jacoby Jones was a bad pick and he really doesn't add anything different to what they already have outside of Andre Johnson.

nelson was not a top 15 prospect and i said it all along. if meriweather avoided the brawl he would of been ahead of nelson.

okoye was a very good pick..you build your team from the trenches. ask Patriots :) 3 first round DL and all 3 are tremendous

Gchu83
06-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Do you really care that much? Kinda weird that a Giants fan would really care what Texan fans think about their draft grade. Also, who said we easily could have traded down with Denver? It's so easy for people to look back and say they should have traded down/up or whatever but we have no idea what was actually going on at the time. Unless you were in the war room on draft day, I don't think you can make that statement.

As remix6 posted, Nelson at #10 would have been a reach and we probably would have gotten slammed had we reached for a player and passed on someone with maybe the best potential in the draft. Sure we didn't really address a pressing need, but our DL is far from where it needs to be to compete.

I'm glad you think Jones was a bad pick but I always think its best to reserve judgement until you at least see them play!

darnik44two
06-17-2007, 09:06 AM
A common misconception is that bad teams have to draft for need. In actuality good teams can afford to draft for need, while bad teams just need to get a better group of players. Good teams may be a player/position or two away, while teams in the top ten are typically several players away. I like what the Texans are doing. They are putting together a very solid DL, and the LB core is getting better. Without a solid front 7 it doesn't matter who is in the secondary. Next year they can look at OT,S,CB,WR,HB in the draft and couple that with a few FA's, and if Schaub pans out...they will be contenders.

yourfavestoner
06-17-2007, 12:54 PM
A common misconception is that bad teams have to draft for need. In actuality good teams can afford to draft for need, while bad teams just need to get a better group of players. Good teams may be a player/position or two away, while teams in the top ten are typically several players away. I like what the Texans are doing. They are putting together a very solid DL, and the LB core is getting better. Without a solid front 7 it doesn't matter who is in the secondary. Next year they can look at OT,S,CB,WR,HB in the draft and couple that with a few FA's, and if Schaub pans out...they will be contenders.

+rep because it's so so so so so true. If you're in the top ten, and you're passing on elite players to reach for players of "need" then your GM needs to be shot.

Also, to people slamming the pick, how is DT not a position of need for the Texans?

Acreboy
06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Worst draft=Dolphins..

SuperKevin
06-17-2007, 01:30 PM
+rep because it's so so so so so true. If you're in the top ten, and you're passing on elite players to reach for players of "need" then your GM needs to be shot.

Also, to people slamming the pick, how is DT not a position of need for the Texans?

Exactly, Okoye is better than the guys they had playing in their DT rotation anyway. Now they ave a much better chance at controlling the line of scrimmage and making things easier for their weak secondary

foozball
06-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Other than trading down, what exactly were they supposed to do? If they don't think theyre getting equal value, then you're just loading up on players and passing on talent. Trading down from 10 into the 20's...they would be passing on ALOT of talent. How is taking the best DT in the draft exactly a bad thing? Texans had no pass rush last year...team leader was Jason Babin with 5 sacks...5 SACKS! Okoye is not only a pass rusher, but he frees up Mario from double teams. Problems in the secondary could easily be attributed to a lack of pass rush.

And you say they didnt address any needs til the 3rd round...well since they didnt have a 2nd rounder, I dont really see your argument.

With Jerome Mathis always being hurt, and needs in the WR corps, Jones seems to be a pretty good pick if he pans out because he can return kicks. Kubiak also seems to be high on Walters as their #2 WR. Jones would have gone somewhere in the 3rd round, so you really can't say it was a bad pick/reach.

They got a big upside CB in Fred Bennett in round 4. Round 5 was a little questionable with Brandon Harrison being an odd pick. I didnt really like that pick. Frye and Studdard add bodies on the OL, and everyone seems to like Diles in the 7th.

People rag on them for waiting til the 5th round to take an OL...they forget that this was a very weak draft for OL, so you cant fault them for passing on the OL that were available.

So pretty much their options were reach or trade down into the 20's to add a pick in your eyes. I could see them trading down to Denver and taking Nelson, but if he's gone, then they'd be screwed. Staley would have been a bad pick...Schaub being protected by a rookie LT with questionable strength? Cmon.

If they reach, people would bash them. If they take Staley, people would say Hooray for an OT, but I don't really think Staley would immediately make the Texans better. Okoye will.

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Exactly, Okoye is better than the guys they had playing in their DT rotation anyway. Now they ave a much better chance at controlling the line of scrimmage and making things easier for their weak secondary
Maybe so, but I can see their offense doing even worse than it normally does.

No LT of note. One decent reciever, who'll be double teamed most of the time anyway. An ageing backfield and an untried QB.

SuperKevin
06-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Maybe so, but I can see their offense doing even worse than it normally does.

No LT of note. One decent reciever, who'll be double teamed most of the time anyway. An ageing backfield and an untried QB.

You win ball games with a strong defense. Especially when you have to play the Colts twice in one season

foozball
06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
hehe...no LT of note...someone named Charles Spencer ring a bell? one decent receiver...well...his name is Andre Johnson and he's a pro bowler. he did pretty well last year even with all the double teams and a crappy QB throwing him the ball...or not throwing him the ball since Carr never likes to pull the trigger when a WR is wide open. Not to mention they added a RB in Ahman Green who is better than any RB they've ever had, and they still have Dayne who was a load to bring down last year. An untried QB with the hype Schaub had is wayyy better than David Carr. You can throw all the stats Carr put up last year, it doesnt change the fact that he sucks and isnt a winner.

you cant say theyre worse off than last year

foozball
06-17-2007, 02:06 PM
here's a video by nflnetwork that compared matt schaub vs david carr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0

yourfavestoner
06-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Also, the Texans' offensive line wasn't nearly as bad last year as people made them out to be. I still stand by my belief that all the hate directed at their offensive line had more to do with all the David Carr apologists making every excuse in the world for why he failed instead of just putting the responsibility on him.

foozball
06-17-2007, 02:18 PM
yes, if you watch the video, you will see exactly that. david carr sucking and holding the ball and causing a sack/fumble with 2 open receivers and a perfect pocket.

not to mention owen daniels, the rookie TE, did very well last year.

yourfavestoner
06-17-2007, 02:21 PM
here's a video by nflnetwork that compared matt schaub vs david carr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0

Pretty much confirmed what Texans fans and I have been saying all along.

49ersfan_87
06-17-2007, 03:14 PM
In case people are interested, here is what the 49ers site thought of the draft review. Not very long though

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=27545

I think theres another thread on that site too. If i can find it, ill edit my post and include it.

Green Bay Scat
06-17-2007, 03:31 PM
why everyone be hatin on Scott?

draftguru151
06-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Because they are a bunch of homers who don't know anything?

foozball
06-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Because they are a bunch of homers who don't know anything?

that must be it...since everyone outside looking in ,who never watch any of the other games, know more about those teams than the fans of those teams...pshh...who watches the texans anyways? so who would know more about them than their fans, who are the only ones watching them?

Green Bay Scat
06-17-2007, 04:02 PM
im guessin ur a texans fan foozball?

draftguru151
06-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Yea I'm sure none of those guys are biased at all.

Geo
06-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Last year, the Texans exercised an 8 mil roster bonus for Carr which kept him signed to the team for three more years, the first of which (2006) awarded him 5.5 mil in salary.

Here's an idea: if you invest that much money into a quarterback, you just might want to consider surrounding him with talent so that he can succeed. Possibly maybe. But they have moved on from Carr, and I'm sure the Texans have learned their lesson about making smart decisions ...

What's that you say?

The Texans not only signed Matt Schaub to a 6-year, 48-mil contract, which will pay him 20 mil over the first 3 years, but they gave up their 2007 and 2008 2nd round picks just to do so? They signed 30-year-old Ahman Green to a 4-year, 23-mil contract with 6.5 mil guaranteed (and Schaub received 7 mil guaranteed)? Free agent acquisition Jordan Black, who the Kansas City Chiefs willingly parted ways with, is the missing piece to turn around the offensive line? There's still no receiving threat opposite Andre Johnson?

Well, I'm sure fortunes will turn around anyways, because if you believe and wish hard enough, it's bound to happen.

:rolleyes:

Not to pile on, but the decision to NOT take Reggie Bush has seemed dumber by the day to me also.

foozball
06-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Yea I'm sure none of those guys are biased at all.

sure theyre biased, theyre fans, but you cant tell me honestly that every single nfl analyst is 100% right all the time.

the fact is, compared to last year the texans are much improved. they still have alotta holes to fill, particularly in the secondary, but you cannot say theyre worse off than last year.

schaub is for the most part untested, but you cannot say that david carr in houston was a success. sure, the OL played a part, but like the video i posted before, alot of the times carr was sacked because of himself. with schaub being praised by other nfl teams and coveted by the falcons, that should tell you something about his ability. if schaub is a success, the texans are leaps and bounds better than last year.

green may not be a 1200yd rusher, but even a 1000 is better than what the texans had last year. with dayne as a short yardage and goal line rb, thats also another weapon in the backfield. the OL really improved its run blocking throughout the year.

okoye, williams, ryans, and dunta robinson are a start to a growing defense that was largely improved in the 2nd half

foozball
06-17-2007, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Geo;457632]Last year, the Texans exercised an 8 mil roster bonus for Carr which kept him signed to the team for three more years, the first of which (2006) awarded him 5.5 mil in salary.

Here's an idea: if you invest that much money into a quarterback, you just might want to consider surrounding him with talent so that he can succeed. Possibly maybe. But they have moved on from Carr, and I'm sure the Texans have learned their lesson about making smart decisions ... QUOTE]

heres an idea...if he sucks, cut him, which is exactly what they did. no use to surround a crappy qb with talent if hes still gonna be a crappy qb. WATCH THE FREAKING VIDEO.

Geo
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Because obviously, a small film spliced together from thousands of plays for the sole purpose of (trying to) explain Schaub over Carr is going to tell the whole and entire story.

Hey, if I put together a film of Peyton Manning's interceptions and Alex Smith's touchdowns, that means Manning is a turnover machine and Smith is a scoring machine, right? The video makes it so!

foozball
06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Because obviously, a small film spliced together from thousands of plays for the sole purpose of (trying to) explain Schaub over Carr is going to tell the whole and entire story.

Hey, if I put together a film of Peyton Manning's interceptions and Alex Smith's touchdowns, that means Manning is a turnover machine and Smith is a scoring machine, right? The video makes it so!

no, but if youve watched texans football, and have seen carr do the exact same thing as in that video over and over again, then maybe you would understand. again...youre on the outside looking in.

unless...you would actually want carr over schaub.

foozball
06-17-2007, 05:23 PM
how about this...if you wanna watch a film about carr's highlights then...try and find one...there arent any. that should tell you something. the oline wasnt the sole problem in houston buddy. david carr has to take some of the blame.

yourfavestoner
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM

That video is just a small smapling of something that people (Texans fans in particular) have been saying for a few years about Carr.