PDA

View Full Version : Athlons 2007 All America Teams

SuperKevin
06-17-2007, 11:13 PM
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/10876/2007-all-america-teams

John David Booty as 1st team QB is a little shocking given the hype surrounding Brohm and Brennan.

Glad to see Earl Bennett get the nod at 1st team WR

They love Rutgers with 3 1st team All Americans

They overhype Notre Dame giving them 2 first teamers in TE John Carlson and S Tom Zbikowski

Sniper
06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Taylor Mays/Tom Zbikowski ahead of Kenny Phillips? Is this a really bad joke?

SuperKevin
06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Taylor Mays/Tom Zbikowski ahead of Kenny Phillips? Is this a really bad joke?

I can see Taylor Mays based on potential but really it should be him and Phillips in there

jbeans187
06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I was just about to make a post about this list. Im enraged Tom Zibikowski is first team, while every other saftey on 2nd and 3rd team is way better, especially Kenny Phillips on the 3rd team. Ray Rice has an argument, but i would put Slaton on the first team. Rutgers got more love than i expected, but Zuttah and Foster deserve it. I also think all the cb's except Castille have a legitimate argument for first team.

HoopsDemon12
06-17-2007, 11:34 PM
how can they not have phillips on there??? complete joke if you ask me

reese
06-18-2007, 12:13 AM
its already been said but wtf?...taylor mays? the fact that he is even on the list is crazy...1st 2nd or 3rd....and kenny phillips is far and away the best safety in college football

Hines
06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
wow justin king not even on the second or third team
they r dumb

P-L
06-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Phillips and Brohm 3rd Team and Rivers 2nd Team are surprising.

M.O.T.H.
06-18-2007, 12:24 AM
South Carolina Kicker... Ryan Succhop still getting no love.

mqtirishfan
06-18-2007, 12:31 AM
There is some serious love for Rutgers on this team.

Sniper
06-18-2007, 12:31 AM
wow justin king not even on the second or third team
they r dumb

Actually they're right. There was no room for the B10's #3 CB. Where is the lovefest for this kid coming from anyway? It's unreal ther hype he gets as overrated as he is.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
DeSean Jackson not 1st team KR?

M.O.T.H.
06-18-2007, 12:46 AM
There is some serious love for Rutgers on this team.

yes there is.... i like though, I've been waiting for Rutgers to get good for sooooooo long.

Hines
06-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Actually they're right. There was no room for the B10's #3 CB. Where is the lovefest for this kid coming from anyway? It's unreal ther hype he gets as overrated as he is.

so your sayin that the two second team corners r better than justin king

dware_94
06-18-2007, 12:53 AM
i'd pick Slaton and Hart over Rice

reese
06-18-2007, 12:58 AM
id take slaton over those other guys 2...but none of them are near mcfadden

SuperKevin
06-18-2007, 02:39 AM

He's 1st team PR

fenikz
06-18-2007, 03:46 AM
this list sucks, its obvious who ever made it doesn't like the canes

Sniper
06-18-2007, 06:38 AM
so your sayin that the two second team corners r better than justin king

That is indeed what I'm saying. King for me would probably the 4th team's #2 corner, after Ikegwuonu.

SuperKevin
06-18-2007, 08:39 AM
I used to have a ton of respect for Athlon but after this All-American list I am starting to doubt their legitimacy. Seems very homerish to me

draftguru151
06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Yea I got the magazine and some of this made me scratch my heard. Calais Campbell 2nd team behind Groves and Blake made me giggle. Phil Steele's AA team is much better. As far as King, even if he is the 3rd best CB in the B10 (which is very debatable), he is still better than some of the others listed.

ricky bobby
06-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Kenny Phillips is pretty far down there.

Gchu83
06-18-2007, 09:55 AM
After having a 12 TD season with a freshman QB, Limas Sweed isn't even a
3rd team All-American?

OhioState
06-18-2007, 11:27 AM
How is Calais Campbell a 2nd teamer? They have some guys who are terriblely undeserving on that list.

scottyboy
06-18-2007, 11:49 AM
LOVING the 3 RU 1st teamers, but on 2nd and 3rd, no Courtney Greene?? thats absurd. Also the lack of Pedro Sosa, Rutgers' other OT should be on there. He's played just as well as Zuttah. Jeremy Ito getting no love? thats a shame.

plus Cason, 3rd team? ehh

wiscbadgerfootball
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
alright Travis Beckum w00t!!

didn't expect this

DL Matt Shaughnessy 6'6" 242 Jr. Wisconsin

Green Bay Scat
06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
oh yea, Earl Bennett is my home boy. I would say that if Mannigham had not be injured hed be the best in the nation, but id say it would go

1a. Manningham
1b. EB

Edit - Goff and Chris Williams are also 3rd team All-Americans. GO VANDY

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
They overhype Notre Dame giving them 2 first teamers in TE John Carlson and S Tom ZbikowskiCarlson is actually a pretty damn good TE.But theres no excuse for putting Zbikowski there.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Im pretty sure Jackson doesnt kick return.Hughes was the main guy last year.

draftguru151
06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Yea, he only had 2 KRs last year.

YAYareaRB
06-18-2007, 01:56 PM
They don't even have Early Doucet on 3rd team? 2nd team? or 1st? WTF?

constant cough
06-18-2007, 02:41 PM
They don't even have Early Doucet on 3rd team? 2nd team? or 1st? WTF?

My thoughts exactally.

Jonny
06-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Zuttah and Foster definitely deserve to get consideration. Athlon and Phil Steele at least both love them. Strange how players for a team in the NYC market are so underrated, but they won't be for long.

duckseason
06-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I used to have a ton of respect for Athlon but after this All-American list I am starting to doubt their legitimacy. Seems very homerish to me

I agree. You can be homerish without being so damn obvious about it. Apparently they think USC is the only team out west.

ricky bobby
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree. You can be homerish without being so damn obvious about it. Apparently they think USC is the only team out west.
I take it you are refering to Jon Stewart. I personally think that Jonathon Stewart is the best NFL RB prospect in the country, yes better than McFadden. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the best college RB though. Mike Hart, Steve Slaton, Ray Rice, are all better college RBs than Jon Stewart.

duckseason
06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I take it you are refering to Jon Stewart. I personally think that Jonathon Stewart is the best NFL RB prospect in the country, yes better than McFadden. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the best college RB though. Mike Hart, Steve Slaton, Ray Rice, are all better college RBs than Jon Stewart.
Yeah, not just him. And I'm not saying he should be first team. I just don't think 3rd team is too much to ask. He really seems like an obvious choice. Anyway, Desean Jackson at WR is a glaring ommision. It just looks as though there is definite slant involved here. But hey, I'm not an expert on every player in the country.

And I don't understand your logic regarding Stewart. Seems counterintuitive. You think he is a better prospect than McFadden, but he's not as good of a college RB as Mike Hart? That makes no sense at all to me. Either he is a great back or not. If you don't think he's among the best in college football, then I can't imagine why you'd be high on him for the NFL.

Hines
06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, not just him. And I'm not saying he should be first team. I just don't think 3rd team is too much to ask. He really seems like an obvious choice. Anyway, Desean Jackson at WR is a glaring ommision. It just looks as though there is definite slant involved here. But hey, I'm not an expert on every player in the country.

And I don't understand your logic regarding Stewart. Seems counterintuitive. You think he is a better prospect than McFadden, but he's not as good of a college RB as Mike Hart? That makes no sense at all to me. Either he is a great back or not. If you don't think he's among the best in college football, then I can't imagine why you'd be high on him for the NFL.

i think hes the third best back in the country behind mcfadden and slaton

ricky bobby
06-18-2007, 06:31 PM

Stewart is a better fit in the NFL at 5'11" 230 with great speed in comparison to a guy like McFadden that is 6'2" 205. You see where I'm coming from? A guy can dominate at any size in the college ranks as long as a single special attribute, such as speed, balance (Hart), etc. Unfortunately, once they get into the NFL, they will get exposed in other areas. Hart, Slaton, McFadden and Rice all have questions regarding their size at the NFL level. You can be a great college RB, but a mediocre NFL RB prospect. ie. Chris Perry. On the other hand, you can be an above average college RB, not great, and still be a great NFL RB prospect. ie. Ronnie Brown. Production at the college level doesn't necessarily mean you will be a great NFL prospect.

duckseason
06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Stewart is a better fit in the NFL at 5'11" 230 with great speed in comparison to a guy like McFadden that is 6'2" 205. You see where I'm coming from? A guy can dominate at any size in the college ranks as long as a single special attribute, such as speed, balance (Hart), etc. Unfortunately, once they get into the NFL, they will get exposed in other areas. Hart, Slaton, McFadden and Rice all have questions regarding their size at the NFL level. You can be a great college RB, but a mediocre NFL RB prospect. ie. Chris Perry. On the other hand, you can be an above average college RB, not great, and still be a great NFL RB prospect. ie. Ronnie Brown. Production at the college level doesn't necessarily mean you will be a great NFL prospect.

Right, I understand all that. But if you've got all the physical tools to be a stud in the NFL, but you're sub-par at the college level, then you aren't a top prospect. In other words, you won't be the first RB taken in the draft if you aren't a great college back. And yes, Ronnie Brown was a great college back. Better than JJ Arrington, and his position in the draft reflects that. So in this particular instance, I don't think the above reasoning is relevant. If you think Stewart will be the top back in the draft, then I don't see how you can see Slaton as the better college player. Mid-level RB's don't get drafted at the top of the first round. Those slots are reserved for the best RB's the college game has to offer. Such as- Garrison Hearst, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Ki-Jana Carter, Tyrone Wheatley, Napoleon Kaufman, James Stewart, Rashaan Salaam, Lawrence Phillips, Tshimanga Biakabutuka, Eddie George, Warrick Dunn, Curtis Enis, Fred Taylor, Edgerrin James, Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, Ron Dayne, LaDainian Tomlinson, William Green, TJ Duckett, Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch.

Every single one of those guys was regarded as a top college RB. By saying Stewart is your favorite prospect, you're lumping him in with all these college greats. That's my point. Nobody thought Kevin Faulk was as good as Edgerrin James when they were in college. Nobody was saying that Trung Canidate was a better college RB than Jamal Lewis. I don't have a problem with people who say Jonathan Stewart isn't a great college back. But it's contradictory to do so while insisting he'll be the 1st RB selected in the draft. If that's what you think, then you're placing him among at least the top 3 RB's in the college game today. Minimally. Otherwise, he's just another Chris Henry. So make up your mind.

P-L
06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
You can be a great college RB, but a mediocre NFL RB prospect. ie. Chris Perry.

Since when did team start drafting mediocre prospects in the 1st Round?

ricky bobby
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Since when did team start drafting mediocre prospects in the 1st Round?
Bad example. You catch my drift though. College production doesn't necessarily make you a great NFL prospect and vice versa.

scottyboy
06-18-2007, 09:34 PM
ehh im not sold on the whole size thing. there's this one RB, pretty sure his twin plays CB, yea he was small and a 3rd down back. I think he turned out pretty good.

yea ima homer, but if you watch Rice in games, he plows through piles, picks up short yardage, and breaks tackles

jbeans187
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
ehh im not sold on the whole size thing. there's this one RB, pretty sure his twin plays CB, yea he was small and a 3rd down back. I think he turned out pretty good.

yea ima homer, but if you watch Rice in games, he plows through piles, picks up short yardage, and breaks tackles

Kenny Irons????? Haha

MikeIsGood
06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
LOVING the 3 RU 1st teamers, but on 2nd and 3rd, no Courtney Greene?? thats absurd. Also the lack of Pedro Sosa, Rutgers' other OT should be on there. He's played just as well as Zuttah. Jeremy Ito getting no love? thats a shame.

plus Cason, 3rd team? ehh

You want six Rutgers players on the All-American teams? Do you believe yourself?

Michigan
06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Zuttah and Foster definitely deserve to get consideration. Athlon and Phil Steele at least both love them. Strange how players for a team in the NYC market are so underrated, but they won't be for long.

Phil Steele didn't love Foster (#44 overall DT), and I agree with him. He may have a motor, but he's hardly 260 lbs and plays in the weakest BCS conference. There's no way he's a better DT than Sedrick Ellis, Frank Okam, DeMario Pressley, Fili Moala, Andre Fuellen, Terrence Taylor, or Red Bryant, which is what Athlon is saying with their AA Teams.

IMO he's one of the most overrated players in college football.

YAYareaRB
06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
You want six Rutgers players on the All-American teams? Do you believe yourself?

Homerism isn't illegal..

SuperKevin
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Phil Steele didn't love Foster (#44 overall DT), and I agree with him. He may have a motor, but he's hardly 260 lbs and plays in the weakest BCS conference. There's no way he's a better DT than Sedrick Ellis, Frank Okam, DeMario Pressley, Fili Moala, Andre Fuellen, Terrence Taylor, or Red Bryant, which is what Athlon is saying with their AA Teams.

IMO he's one of the most overrated players in college football.

Exactly. Eric Foster will be lucky to play DEFENSIVE END in the pros at that size. He may even end up being a big bodied ILB

MikeIsGood
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Homerism isn't illegal..

True enough.