PDA

View Full Version : Quinn VS. 2008 QB Draft Class.

PoopSandwich
06-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Few quick questions...

Do you think Quinn is better than the QB's in next years QB class?

Do you think that giving up a 2nd and a first was a steep price for the Browns to pay?

What % chance is it that Quinn will be in training camp day one in your mind?

Who do you think the best QB is in the 2008 draft? What is his strengths/weaknesses in your mind?

What are Quinns Strengths/Weaknesses?

Also, just curious, by what game do you think Brady Quinn will start?

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-18-2007, 04:58 PM
its pretty early.

PoopSandwich
06-18-2007, 05:07 PM
its pretty early.

Thats kind of the point, if we knew how Quinn was as a pro then we could judge but we cant, so I'm asking what your thoughts on the questions I listed are.

OhioState
06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
I personaly like Quinn better than Brian Brohm because of his tools and his toughness. I also like him better than woodson because he is a great passer yet quite mobile and i don't know if woodson is both of those yet.

I do think Quinn will be in training camp and because of it will start by week 4

Acreboy
06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Brohm is light years ahead of Quinn.

keylime_5
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Before the draft even I was more a fan of Quinn and Russell than Brohm or Woodson or Brennan. Woodson intrigues me though as a prospect

P-L
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
I want to see if Woodson continues to develop before I compare him to Quinn. However, Brady Quinn is far superior to Brian Brohm.

Ho0k Em'
06-18-2007, 09:20 PM

No, not at all.

Acreboy
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
No, not at all.Please do tell.

I want to see if Woodson continues to develop before I compare him to Quinn. However, Brady Quinn is far superior to Brian Brohm.If by far superior you mean vastly overrated then yes, far superior.

-black
06-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Brian Brohm>Brady Quinn

have had the discussion to many times so thats all I will say on the subject. CAN NOT wait to see Brohm prove himself this season

keylime_5
06-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Brohm is probably considered a better prospect than Quinn in league circles, but right now he has more flaws in his game than Quinn did as a rising senior. Brohm has a stronger arm though and even better accuracy. I think it will only take Brady 2 years to develop into a great QB, and it might take Brohm about 3 depending on which team picks him. (Probably be faster on a team like Minnesota who is a QB and a #1 WR away from a great offense)

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Brohm is probably considered a better prospect than Quinn in league circles, but right now he has more flaws in his game than Quinn did as a rising senior. Brohm has a stronger arm though and even better accuracy. I think it will only take Brady 2 years to develop into a great QB, and it might take Brohm about 3 depending on which team picks him. (Probably be faster on a team like Minnesota who is a QB and a #1 WR away from a great offense)

Brohm doesn't have a stronger arm, it's weak.

Acreboy
06-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Brohm doesn't have a stronger arm, it's weak.Say what now?

Gribble
06-19-2007, 12:44 AM
I wonder whether Brohm gets hurt this year. If he does, then it'll be three years in a row and he's gonna be labeled "fragile" just like that.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-19-2007, 01:01 AM
I like Quinn more than Brohm, but a lot of next year's quarterback class is a mystery at this point. If Woodson repeats then all bets are off.

PACKmanN
06-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Brian Brohm and Brady Quinn are both overrated, i just don't see them doing well in the NFL.

bored of education
06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Matt Ryan will be a better NFL Qb than Brady Quinn. Mark it down foolios!

Iamcanadian
06-19-2007, 11:10 AM
The pros decided how good a prospect Quinn was. I liked him a lot but when you go that late in round 1, something missing in your game. Brohm is obviously rated higher at least for now and is the front runner for the 1st overall pick in the draft. He may fade like Quinn but for now he remains as a far better prospect than Quinn.
Did Cleveland pay too much for Quinn, probably yes but the franchise is desperate to solve its QB position and really liked Quinn. If it pans out, the price is cheap, if it doesn't, they will likely have a new GM. Time will tell.

Purple N Proud
06-19-2007, 11:27 AM
On 1460 today John Clayton said Quinn has pretty poor mechanics and as a result is floating a lot of balls high. He wondered if without Weis Brady was really going to struggle. Both him and Cowherd questioned if Brady was a little too musclebound.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Brian Brohm>Brady Quinn

have had the discussion to many times so thats all I will say on the subject. CAN NOT wait to see Brohm prove himself this season

He will look nice in a Bucs jersey :)

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
no, Brohm has a stronger arm. And I don't think the Buccaneers will be bad at all this year, at least not bad enough to get a top 5 pick.

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
On 1460 today John Clayton said Quinn has pretty poor mechanics and as a result is floating a lot of balls high. He wondered if without Weis Brady was really going to struggle. Both him and Cowherd questioned if Brady was a little too musclebound.

Tom Brady seems just fine without Weis around, so hopefully what Weis has done so far with Brady helps him throughout his career and not just for those 2 years in South Bend. I think Quinn will get it together. I mean it's only his first minicamp as a pro QB. NFL is a lot lot different than NCAA.

PoopSandwich
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, and Quinn has Winslow/Edwards to throw to, and a line that should be light years ahead of last year, and a running back looking to prove something...

That is, if he starts.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
no, Brohm has a stronger arm. And I don't think the Buccaneers will be bad at all this year, at least not bad enough to get a top 5 pick.

Not trying to turn this into a Buccaneers discussion but I don't agree. We still have the youngest offensive line in the league which nothing good ever coming out of that. Carnell Williams is still rumored to be having minor to severe lower back pain and Michael Pittman is only serviceable for so long. We have a couple of young receivers that could develop a lot this year but I don't see it with Gruden's system. I don't want to be a pessismist but I also don't see Garcia having a year even comparable to last year. He had a great supporting cast, o line, and coaching staff in Philly. Our defense should be back up to par at least and should benefit from a better pass rush and seeing the field less often.

Geo
06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I love Acreboy's taking the piss and making this wily remark. We're obviously both in agreement that Quinn should shine Brohm's shoes and there's little more to be said.

I like Brohm, but Brohm being a better quarterback prospect than Quinn is laughable. Brohm can't break down defenses near as well, he can't make the throws in as tight a window, nevermind making them on the run like Quinn. Brohm does have greater accuracy, but Bobby Petrino and the schedule the Cardinals played deserve a good deal of that credit. I've seen nothing in the way of intangibles from Brohm as I have/do with Quinn. And any argument that Brohm has to deal with his demanding older brother as his QB coach is negated times over by the fact that Weis tightened the anuses of the Irish so much that it hurt them on the field and he bore on Quinn most of all.

I liked that point better when Hall of Fame QB Steve Young made it months ago.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Heres another good one. Jay Cutler or Brian Brohm?

Acreboy
06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Coming out of college?

Brohm.

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Probably Brohm. But if you ask some scouts/GMs they'd tell you that Young, Leinart, and Cutler were all better than all the 2007 and 2008 QBs. I'd take Cutler personally, seems like he's gonna be the next Favre in Denver, though not as cool.

Seems like 50% of people in this forum say that Quinn is better than Brohm by a mile, and the rest say Brohm by a mile. If Brohm left as a junior he almost definitely would've been taken after Quinn I think, but after 4 years of college I think it's probably Brohm by a hair. I'd take Quinn personally, and that's before the Browns picked him and it has nothing to do with the fact that Brady is from Dublin, OH.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Lol not even close Jay Cutler. Arm Strength is like 2x Brohm's, mobility>Brohm, awareness>Brohm, Intangibles>Brohm, almost every aspect of his game is>Brohm's. Brohm right now is way overrated. He's done nothing special in my eyes, and his arm strength is just average/weak. Accuracy is very good though. I think he might be a good fit for a WCO team.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
About the Quinn/Brohm thing. It is pretty much preference. One is moldable(Brohm) and one has been molded(Quinn). One has superior arm strength and accuracy(Brohm) and one has mobility(Quinn). One is injury prone(Brohm) and the other is battle tested(Quinn). To me it really depends on the offense I am running. If I am running a Indy style offense with a good line I will take Brohm. If I am running a West coast offense with a average line I will take Quinn. Personally if I had to choose one I would take Brohm. Simply because he hasn't been touched by Weis and he didn't play for Notre Dame. Its not that I don't hate Notre Dame...because I do, its just that monkey on every Notre Dame QB's back.

simms2clayton
06-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Very good question to ask imo.

But you have to consider that you get that franchise QB with 1 year of experience that you wouldn't get with Andre Woodson...had they waited till next year and had a high draft pick.

I think the Browns will not regret this decision, but the Cowboys will passing on Quinn with Tony Romo as their starter.

D-Unit
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Brennan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quinn.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Hows this scouting report on Brohm?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOczXLp1hng

Phrost
06-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Brennan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quinn.

Brennan ====== Overrated

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Hows this scouting report on Brohm?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOczXLp1hng

Lmao that's a video gme, plus Durability is ahuge concern for him...

Brohm=====Overrated as well

Phrost
06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Lmao that's a video gme, plus Durability is ahuge concern for him...

Brohm=====Overrated as well

I hope you realized it was a joke. Brohm isn't really overrated. He is just the best QB in a weak class of them. Brennan on the other hand is a system QB that played 2nd rate talent and has a funky throwing motion.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Brohm, IMO, is only gonna be picked first if nobody *cough*ANDRE WOODSON*cough* takes his spot. Kinda like Leinart and Quinn did the last two years. I think Quinn is a tad better, but Andre Woodson, if he has a good senior season, is better than either.

Probably Brohm. But if you ask some scouts/GMs they'd tell you that Young, Leinart, and Cutler were all better than all the 2007 and 2008 QBs. I'd take Cutler personally, seems like he's gonna be the next Favre in Denver, though not as cool.

I'm gonna assume that by cool you mean the way the board used to censor the slang term for "homosexual". In which case, Cutler is not as cool as Favre :p.

Rockrule40
06-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Cutler is far better than Brohm. I dont see what people see in Brohm.

Cutler>>>>>>>>Quinn?Brohm

I think Brohm will struggle this year remember he has a new head coach.

Cutler?VY>>>>JaMarcus>>>>>Quinn?Leinart?Brohm

Edit: I guess it cant put out the greater than or equal to sign so where it is ? it should be >= (greater than or equal)

draftguru151
06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't get where people are getting Brohm has better arm strength than Quinn. Quinn had a very strong arm, Brohm is slightly better than Leinart. Accuracy and mechanics go to Brohm, but from a physical standpoint Brohm isn't on par with Quinn.

PoopSandwich
06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Oh god how did this turn into Cutler vs. Brohm lol.

The whole point of the thread is to see if Quinn is better than the QB's in the 2008 draft class in your opinion.

As for Cutler vs. Brohm, I'll take Cutler every day of the week, his arm is AAAAAAAAAAAMAZING.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't get where people are getting Brohm has better arm strength than Quinn. Quinn had a very strong arm, Brohm is slightly better than Leinart. Accuracy and mechanics go to Brohm, but from a physical standpoint Brohm isn't on par with Quinn.

Yea I know wtf? Brohm's arm strength is just AVERAGE! Damn!

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I hope you realized it was a joke. Brohm isn't really overrated. He is just the best QB in a weak class of them. Brennan on the other hand is a system QB that played 2nd rate talent and has a funky throwing motion.
how is this a weak class of QBs?Maybe at the top its weak as of now.But depth wise its very good.
Theres Woodson,Brohm,Brennan,Keller,JDB,Ainge,Henne,and Ryan.
And btw,Brohm has too have a good year he has alot of questions to be answered before hes as good as a prospect as Quinn.
I put my money on it that Woodson is the first QB taken next April.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
As for Cutler vs. Brohm, I'll take Cutler every day of the week, his arm is AAAAAAAAAAAMAZING.

signed,
Jeff George, and every other strong armed bust.(soon to be followed by jamarcus russell...jk :))

Phrost
06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
how is this a weak class of QBs?Maybe at the top its weak as of now.But depth wise its very good.
Theres Woodson,Brohm,Brennan,Keller,JDB,Ainge,Henne,and Ryan.
And btw,Brohm has too have a good year he has alot of questions to be answered before hes as good as a prospect as Quinn.
I put my money on it that Woodson is the first QB taken next April.

There are a lot of what ifs. What if Henne struggles this year? What if Woodson doesn't have another great season? What if Brohm's injuries reoccur? What if John David Booty just another product of USC? Does JDB have enough upside? What if Brennan's run and shoot offense holds him back?

I can't think of too many for the other guys and I know there isn't such thing as a "sure thing" in the draft but there is nothing close to one here.

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't know how many times I've heard "Brohm's had an NFL arm from the moment he stepped onto the Louisville campus." If it's just average afterall, whatever. Sorry, haven't been digging into little scouting tidbits about sophomore quaterbacks.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know how many times I've heard "Brohm's had an NFL arm from the moment he stepped onto the Louisville campus." If it's just average afterall, whatever. Sorry, haven't been digging into little scouting tidbits about sophomore quaterbacks.

I heard the same things...

-black
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Yea I know wtf? Brohm's arm strength is just AVERAGE! Damn!

and your point is? he can still make all of the necceary throws..Leinart does not have a "wow" arm neither.....actuallty most NFL starters dont have "wow OMG arms"....just like plenty of RB's dont have 4.3 speed. Arm strength is only one factor in measuring QB's......

When healthy, Brohm is as good a QB as you will find.....QB smarts are off the charts

-black
06-19-2007, 02:33 PM
and his arm is not weak by any means....Chad Pennington's arm is weak....Brohm puts much more zip, rotation, and power on his balls

Acreboy
06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
and your point is? he can still make all of the necceary throws..Leinart does not have a "wow" arm neither.....actuallty most NFL starters dont have "wow OMG arms"....just like plenty of RB's dont have 4.3 speed. Arm strength is only one factor in measuring QB's......

When healthy, Brohm is as good a QB as you will find.....QB smarts are off the chartsThank you dammit.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Thank you dammit.

Seconded, seconded, seconded.

draftguru151
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM

When healthy, Brohm is as good a QB as you will find.....QB smarts are off the charts

His point is Brohm's arm isn't stronger than Quinn's, which multiple people in this thread have said.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
His point is Brohm's arm isn't stronger than Quinn's, which multiple people in this thread have said.

Brohm's arm is stronger IMO. Distance isn't everything. Not only does Brohm have a MUCH tighter spiral he also throws on a line.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-19-2007, 02:43 PM
There are a lot of what ifs. What if Henne struggles this year? What if Woodson doesn't have another great season? What if Brohm's injuries reoccur? What if John David Booty just another product of USC? Does JDB have enough upside? What if Brennan's run and shoot offense holds him back?

I can't think of too many for the other guys and I know there isn't such thing as a "sure thing" in the draft but there is nothing close to one here.
Nobody last year was close to being a sure thing at least not at the QB position.
I said at the top this QB class is weak at least for now.
Of course theres alot of what ifs.At this point of time last year do you think that Russell was a top five pick?He was seen by the vast majority as a mid first round pick.He still needed another good season.
Woodson and Brohm are the only guys who could probably be top five picks.
Deoth wise this QB class is great.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Nobody last year was close to being a sure thing at least not at the QB position.
I said at the top this QB class is weak at least for now.
Of course theres alot of what ifs.At this point of time last year do you think that Russell was a top five pick?He was seen by the vast majority as a mid first round pick.He still needed another good season.
Woodson and Brohm are the only guys who could probably be top five picks.
Deoth wise this QB class is great.

I have to agree that overall the depth is great but at the top not so much.

-black
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM

I wouldnt say Brohm's arm is weaker than Quinns........Brohm has better accuracy on his deep ball which makes his arm strength look stronger with deep passes anyway

Phrost
06-19-2007, 03:25 PM
by the way Brohm runs a 4.6 :).

-black
06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
lol....yeah......

before his knees blew out tho, he did have decent mobility

Phrost
06-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Ok lets play the comparison game then.

Brohm= what current nfl player?
Quinn= what other nfl quarterback?

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Quinn = Carson Palmer. That was easy. Not too sure about Brohm, don't know as much about him. How about Peyton Manning to be safe :).

Phrost
06-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Quinn = Carson Palmer.

I don't understand that match. Sure they both have prototypical size but thats about it. Carson is a statue in the pocket and Quinn can move around to make a play. Carson can fit balls into small windows and throw a perfect deep ball. Quinn can't even throw a correct spiral.

PoopSandwich
06-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Quinn reminds me of a Tom Brady a bit, kinda funny seeing as Weis was his tutor.

I really don't know who Brohm reminds me of, I would have to see some more of him to really get a good comparison.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Quinn reminds me of a Tom Brady a bit, kinda funny seeing as Weis was his tutor.

I really don't know who Brohm reminds me of, I would have to see some more of him to really get a good comparison.

You should get a large dose of him this year then.

PoopSandwich
06-19-2007, 04:00 PM
You should get a large dose of him this year then.

Heh, I don't think he has the skills that Tom Brady has yet, they just remind me of each other I don't know why.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Heh, I don't think he has the skills that Tom Brady has yet, they just remind me of each other I don't know why.

Like another thread stated apparently Quinn is too muscle bound. Doesn't surprise me at all. How can you manage something like that? HOw would he change his workout regiment?

PoopSandwich
06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Eat some twinkies.

Acreboy
06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
by the way Brohm runs a 4.6 :).*Cough* So does Matt Flynn *Cough* lol

Phrost
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Eat some twinkies.

he needs to get smaller......

Geo
06-19-2007, 04:40 PM

It's interesting you would make the comparison, as at times Tom Brady seems to make a handful of inaccurate passes per game, long passes or otherwise. I've long wondered if he hasn't been masking one or more injuries to his shoulder/arm, actually.

Maybe Patriots fans can confirm or deny, having seen Brady just about every week, but it seems this has been the case for the last two years.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 04:45 PM
It's interesting you would make the comparison, as at times Brady seems to make a handful of inaccurate passes per game, long passes or otherwise. I've long wondered if he hasn't been masking more than injury to his shoulder/arm, actually.

Maybe Patriots fans can confirm or deny, having seen Brady just about every week, but it seems this has been the case for the last two years.

I assume you are talking about "tom" brady? If so I can't see a difference in his velocity or accuracy. It might have been those less than stellar WRs. ;)

Geo
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Heh, yes, I was referring to the Brady with the three beautiful rings on his fingers.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Heh, yes, I was referring to the Brady with the three beautiful rings on his fingers.

Just a side note. My mom was at a Marquee(sp) Jet party last week and she met Tom for the second time. She said he is really cool and Gisele is nice. She said Rip Hamilton and CHamp Bailey were the coolest though.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Brohm=Pennington(slightly better arm strength w/o surgery), IMO, but will be a better QB than Pennington, just saying skill-sets are similar.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Brohm=Pennington(slightly better arm strength w/o surgery), IMO, but will be a better QB than Pennington, just saying skill-sets are similar.

Pennington>Quinn

Paranoidmoonduck
06-19-2007, 05:46 PM
I do think that Brohm throws a much nicer ball than Quinn, but that says more about Quinn than it does about Brohm. That said, I really do enjoy watching Brohm fling it. He get consistent spin, throws nice spirals, and gets the ball out quick. It kinda reminds me of Peyton's release.

That said, Brohm is all projectability right now. And I don't like that in quarterback prospect.

Phrost
06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I do think that Brohm throws a much nicer ball than Quinn, but that says more about Quinn than it does about Brohm. That said, I really do enjoy watching Brohm fling it. He get consistent spin, throws nice spirals, and gets the ball out quick. It kinda reminds me of Peyton's release.

That said, Brohm is all projectability right now. And I don't like that in quarterback prospect.

What do you mean by projectability? Seriously

Paranoidmoonduck
06-19-2007, 05:54 PM
What do you mean by projectability? Seriously

I mean Brohm hasn't done anything in college. He hasn't thrown over 20 touchdowns in a single season, he hasn't thrown for tons of yards, he hasn't won big games. He hasn't done anything.

He throws the ball well and came into college highly touted. He has a ton of potential, but he has so much to prove this season.

-black
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM

I agree with this post.....

but I have something you would not agree with at all......I been saying it for so long (i should make it my sig)

I'd rather have Brian Brohm as my QB in the NFL than Jamarcus and Quinn....Jamarcus has more talent (skill wise), Quinn has the golden boy image and the monster numbers, but Brohm would be my choice. (and this is coming from someone who defened both Russell and Quinn and belives they will both succeed).

My 2008 prospect breakdown details my feelings about Brohm.

People IMO are critizising the wrong thing about Brohm (his arm)...his arm is more than fine. In fact its good (not wow, but NFL startting and Pro Bowl caliber). He def has things that are concerns which include not workin that much under center...staying healthy, and consistent dominant play. At times he has not shown the killer instinct for a QB and sometimes is too conservative in his thinking (aka sometimes thinks too much).

Im no Louisville fan, but I will be watching Louisville play all the time this season. I dont get high on many QB's because of the bust-ration and unpredicability.....but I am a huge fan of his, as much as any QB i have followed prospect wise since i started following the draft...

San Diego Chicken
06-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I mean Brohm hasn't done anything in college. He hasn't thrown over 20 touchdowns in a single season, he hasn't thrown for tons of yards, he hasn't won big games. He hasn't done anything.

He throws the ball well and came into college highly touted. He has a ton of potential, but he has so much to prove this season.

You're being a little overzealous IMO by saying he hasn't done anything. He's still more accomplished than any other college QB's out there save for Colt Brennan or possibly John David Booty. He lead his team to a conference championship (their first in a BCS conference) and an Orange Bowl victory. He doesn't have gaudy stats (TD passes are an overrated stat anyway) but he has been remarkably efficient. The main question marks with Brohm are his injuries and how the change in system might affect him. He doesn't compare to a Vince Young or Matt Leinart in terms of college accomplishments, but few do.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
You're being a little overzealous IMO by saying he hasn't done anything. He's still more accomplished than any other college QB's out there save for Colt Brennan or possibly John David Booty. He lead his team to a conference championship (their first in a BCS conference) and an Orange Bowl victory. He doesn't have gaudy stats (TD passes are an overrated stat anyway) but he has been remarkably efficient. The main question marks with Brohm are his injuries and how the change in system might affect him. He doesn't compare to a Vince Young or Matt Leinart in terms of college accomplishments, but few do.

I'm saying that his profile doesn't match his production. He needs to have a really big year this year (not only statistically) to match the profile many have already given him.

San Diego Chicken
06-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm saying that his profile doesn't match his production. He needs to have a really big year this year (not only statistically) to match the profile many have already given him.

I don't think he's recieving too much hype. He's not the Heisman favorite (in fact I haven't heard him being talked about for the Heisman whatsoever). He's simply being projected as the top QB off the board in April which could realistically be anywhere in the top half of the first round at this point. To me he has accomplished enough to be considered an elite QB in college football.

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, Quinn got way more hype than he should have. I personally actually believed that Troy Smith was gonna win the Heisman last year as long as tOSU never lost a game, and was right. Brohm isn't a big heisman candidate this year like Quinn was, so he's kinda flying under the radar so to speak except in draft circles. That's why no love for Cutler or Russell when they were coming out and considered elite QB prospects even though they weren't household names amongst college football fans.

jayceheathman
06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Chase Holbrook is better than Quinn. You may not know of him now but you will. He is basically a white JaMarcus Russell.

Junior Quarterback Chase Holbrook was recently projected as the number 29th pick overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, by NFL Blitz.com and Footballs Future.com, going to the Chicago Bears. The NFL Blitz.com website took it one step further, projecting Holbrook as the number one pick overall in the 2009 NFL Draft.

-black
06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Chase Holbrook is better than Quinn. You may not know of him now but you will. He is basically a white JaMarcus Russell.

Junior Quarterback Chase Holbrook was recently projected as the number 29th pick overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, by NFL Blitz.com and Footballs Future.com, going to the Chicago Bears. The NFL Blitz.com website took it one step further, projecting Holbrook as the number one pick overall in the 2009 NFL Draft.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/turkblack/laff.gif

jayceheathman
06-19-2007, 11:11 PM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/turkblack/laff.gif

You may be laughing now but you will know who he is once the season starts. Getting sacked 40 times in 12 games and still throwing for 4,900 yards. You could say he played weak teams but he lit up Boise State for 515 yards.

Acreboy
06-19-2007, 11:23 PM
what team is this White JaMarcus on?

-black
06-20-2007, 12:14 AM
You may be laughing now but you will know who he is once the season starts. Getting sacked 40 times in 12 games and still throwing for 4,900 yards. You could say he played weak teams but he lit up Boise State for 515 yards.

lol..........the white jamarcus russell? I guess the fact that he averaged like over 40 throws a game means nothing to you (and their team won like 3 games)

SuperKevin
06-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Want a sleeper in the 2008 QB class? Paul Smith the Qb from Tulsa is going to have a huge year in Todd Graham and Gus Malzahn's spread offense. He was already one of the most efficient QBs in the country having a 36-16 TD-INT ratio in his career and he should only do better this year.

Sniper
06-20-2007, 02:05 AM

And those 526 yards (actually looked it up) came on 62!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! throws! 526 yards ain't that hard on 62 passes.

jayceheathman
06-20-2007, 02:27 AM
lol..........the white jamarcus russell? I guess the fact that he averaged like over 40 throws a game means nothing to you (and their team won like 3 games)

No, it doesnt matter to me. When NMSU's leading receiver is 5'7 155 pounds then you know he doesnt have much surrounding him at WR. The fact that they started 12 freshman combined on offense and defense doesnt help either. Oh, and I looked it up and they won 4 games. :) He only attempted 566 throws in 12 games. lol :)

Sniper
06-20-2007, 03:59 AM
No, it doesnt matter to me. When NMSU's leading receiver is 5'7 155 pounds then you know he doesnt have much surrounding him at WR. The fact that they started 12 freshman combined on offense and defense doesnt help either. Oh, and I looked it up and they won 4 games. :) He only attempted 566 throws in 12 games. lol :)

That guy also led the country in receiving yards, yet you say he's of no help. Hence it's the system then?

keylime_5
06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Holbrook does have a chance to go in the first round, but the way that teams analyze QBs so thoroughly and finding all the little things about them, I wouldn't be suprised to see him go as low as the 2nd or 3rd round though.

Ryan Mallett is probably closer to the white JaMarcus Russell though. Too bad he's gonna go 0-4 in the game for his career.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I think they are equal at this point. If Brohm has a Heisman year, it will change for the better. If he sucks, it will change for the worse.

And I dont think the Browns got screwed in the trade. They came away with a strong first day of drafting. The way I see it, they gave up a first round pick next year. That sucks, but if every team that is close to the bottom in the NFL could come away from the first day of drafting with a blue chip LT, QB and CB, they would do it every time.

My 2 cents

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I think they are equal at this point. If Brohm has a Heisman year, it will change for the better. If he sucks, it will change for the worse.

And I dont think the Browns got screwed in the trade. They came away with a strong first day of drafting. The way I see it, they gave up a first round pick next year. That sucks, but if every team that is close to the bottom in the NFL could come away from the first day of drafting with a blue chip LT, QB and CB, they would do it every time.

My 2 cents

Well IMO it depends on where their pick ends up. If it's top 5, or even top-10, it's a bad trade. Because they will have traded the 22nd pick and lost a top-5 or 10. If it's 15 or higher, it's a fair trade since that's probably where BQ was. Of course, even if they get 1st overall, the trade will be worth it if BQ, Joe Thomas and Eric Wright all pan out to be pro bowlers.

keylime_5
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
If Brady Quinn busts it was a bad trade. If Quinn is a star it was a good trade for both sides. It's as simple as that. Quinn has all the tools and a good supporting cast to excel in Cleveland. I think the only thing he has working against him is the jinx that will never leave the city until one of those 3 teams wins a title. The rate things are going this year the Tribe will make it to and then lose the world series just like the Cavs, Buckeye FB, and Buckeye BB teams. I'd rather have Quinn a year early than Brohm or Woodson a year late anyway. Next year's class as a whole doesn't seem like it will be as good or at least as top heavy as this years either.

Sniper
06-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Holbrook does have a chance to go in the first round, but the way that teams analyze QBs so thoroughly and finding all the little things about them, I wouldn't be suprised to see him go as low as the 2nd or 3rd round though.

Ryan Mallett is probably closer to the white JaMarcus Russell though. Too bad he's gonna go 4-0 in the game for his career.

Fixed that for ya key.

jayceheathman
06-21-2007, 12:51 AM
That guy also led the country in receiving yards, yet you say he's of no help. Hence it's the system then?

The system does help out a A LOT and especially because Justine Berries got injured and they became about 85% passing. Its close to the same system Kevin Kolb was in while at University of Houston. Chris Williams is the only threat Holbrook has on offense and thats because he is so tiny that CB's cant even see him. Holbrook has some potential since he was only a sophomore last year and it was his first year of college ball. He has some mobility too for being 6'6 255. New Mexico State plays Auburn this year so this will be his first chance at playing against a really great team.

Sniper
06-21-2007, 01:00 AM
The system does help out a A LOT and especially because Justine Berries got injured and they became about 85% passing. Its close to the same system Kevin Kolb was in while at University of Houston. Chris Williams is the only threat Holbrook has on offense and thats because he is so tiny that CB's cant even see him. Holbrook has some potential since he was only a sophomore last year and it was his first year of college ball. He has some mobility too for being 6'6 255. New Mexico State plays Auburn this year so this will be his first chance at playing against a really great team.

And that's why I hated the Kolb Eagles pick. I guess we'll see vs. Auburn

RaiderNation
06-21-2007, 06:09 AM
so your asking whos the 2nd best qb coming out this year since quinn was last year

Staubach12
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Sorry, double post.

Staubach12
06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
As DTIOW said, it's early to be predicting such things, but I'll give it a shot.

Well, next years is a very different class. It doesn't have the one or two elite guys, but I could definately see 6 or maybe even 7 QBs getting round 1 grades. So, player-to-player Quinn is problably on the level of Brohm next year. Both are very polished and ready for the next level. They both have pretty good arms, but I'll take Brohm because he doesn't have those questions about his accuracy.

Do you think that giving up a 2nd and a first was a steep price for the Browns to pay?

To an extent, yes. The thing is, this guy is a true franchise QB, and he's problably not any great ammount worse than what they'll get with that first next year. Like I said, not too many "elite" guys next year. If they planned on taking a QB next year, then they made the right move, because they have their guy now.

Great question, and frankly, I have no idea. They could be a nasty holdout, but he could just accept the fall and play.

Who do you think the best QB is in the 2008 draft? What is his strengths/weaknesses in your mind?

Problably Brohm. He's a lot like Quinn, like I said. Polished, good arm, but his accuracy is better. I'll take Brohm, but like I said, it's better to jump on a good QB now rather than later.

Good mechanics. His arm is very good. He's mentally ready for the next level. He can escape pressure to a degree. He's very strong. His accuracy is a big question, and I'll explain that a bit later.

I could see him starting by week 4 or 5.

OK, now to explain why his accuracy has suffered. Quinn, IMO, has spent too much time in the weight room. Different bodies react to added bulk differently. The added strength has caused his flexibility to suffer. The flexibility in his arm not being what is was makes his release change just a bit. That may not seem that bad, but it can do very bad things to a persons accuracy. To counter my argument, people will say that Cutler's accuracy didn't suffer while he put up (I think) 22 reps at the combine. Like I said earlier, different bodies react differently to added strength. Cutler was able to get that strong while retaining his flexibility. Good for him. Quinn crossed that thin line, and it began to take a toll on his accuracy.

PoopSandwich
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Someone who answered the question, + rep yay!

Geo
06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Personally, if I had a Top 5/10 draft pick, I'd do the following:

1st round- bolster my lines with a stud, e.g. Glenn Dorsey, Sam Baker, or Chris Long.

2nd round- it's usually the case that a very good prospect doesn't crack through into the 1st round, and if I can get a player like Earl Bennett or Vince Hall here, I'd jump on it.

3rd round- Sam Keller, a quarterback prospect who I (still) like and think is much better value here.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
1st round- bolster my lines with a stud, e.g. Glenn Dorsey, Sam Baker, or Chris Long.

2nd round- it's usually the case that a very good prospect doesn't crack through into the 1st round, and if I can get a player like Earl Bennett or Vince Hall here, I'd jump on it.

Totally agree except I am not big on 2nd or 3rd round QBs..

Green Bay Scat
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
tsk if EB drops to the second after his SR. year im gonna.....

Phrost
06-21-2007, 06:44 PM
tsk if EB drops to the second after his SR. year im gonna.....

You
Earl Bennett's nuts.

SF Dolphin Fan
06-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Few quick questions...

There's a lot to like about Quinn, although I don't believe that NFL personnel men saw him as a franchise quarterback. So much of Quinn's success depends on Cleveland getting the running game going. They made a good start by taking Joe Thomas, but they have a ways to go on offense. My guess is that Quinn will start right away and will initially be a little better than Charlie Frye. As to Quinn's strengths I think decision making, which is critical. Plus he worked in a pro style offense with Charlie Weiss. I think his accuracy, especially on deep routes needs some work. I haven't seen enough of the top quarterbacks for 2008 yet so I'll reserve judgement there.

PoopSandwich
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I haven't seen enough of the 2008 draft class QB's either, thats why I wanted to see everyones opinion on the subject.