PDA

View Full Version : 08 prospects who do you want?

J-Hype
06-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Im hopeing we go all defense next year with maybe a few exceptions.hopefully we wont be picking high next year.but i like calias campell and jake long.i don't know about the other prospects really but i really like it if we got one of these guys.

WMD
06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I want Calais Campbell the most..

Notredameleo
06-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Campbell, Long or Baker. Maybe a good MLB like Laurinaitis.

Newbs24
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Rey Rey from USC. The guy is an animal. Lofa Tatupu with ideal MIKE size. Maybe Kenny Phillips the safety from the U. They compared his size with Sean taylor but his playmaking skills with Ed Reed. That could be dangerous.

TacticaLion
06-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I would love for a few players to emerge on the OLine (maybe Foster and/or Peterman) and to draft a linemen in the 1st round. Imagine OLine being a strength...

casskid
06-24-2007, 12:46 PM
I dont see the lions drafting O line in the first for multiple reasons. First we would probably spend the pick on a tackle, and we all ready have too much money tied up there. Two, if we really wanted a tackle dont you think we would have traded down and picked Thomas this year? While we need help inside, drafting a guard or center isnt practical in the top 10-15, which is where we're probably gonna pick again.

Id be down for who ever emerges as the top MLB prospect or Campbell seeing as i dont really think they "filled" the DE position with a stud pass rusher.

TacticaLion
06-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I dont see the lions drafting O line in the first for multiple reasons. First we would probably spend the pick on a tackle, and we all ready have too much money tied up there. Two, if we really wanted a tackle dont you think we would have traded down and picked Thomas this year? While we need help inside, drafting a guard or center isnt practical in the top 10-15, which is where we're probably gonna pick again.

Id be down for who ever emerges as the top MLB prospect or Campbell seeing as i dont really think they "filled" the DE position with a stud pass rusher.Interesting. You suggested that we "all ready have too much money tied up" in the tackle position, then asked why we didn't trade down and pick Joe Thomas this year. Even if we would've somehow taken him in the top 5, it would've been a lot more than taking another player with picks 8-15 in next years draft.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I don't think we've got THAT much tied up between Backus and Foster. And I also don't think taking an incredible OG in the top 10-15 is too unreasonable. Right now, we've got Peterman, who the coaches are high on, and Mulitalo, who is older and recovering from an injury. Grabbing a great OG (to learn behind Mulitalo for his first year) would be a good move for the OLine.

The only other position I'd want in the first round (as of right now) would be a stud DE... but I'd like to start focusing on the OLine. Imagine giving Stanton and KJones/Bell/Duckett a great line to play behind...

casskid
06-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Well we already grabbed Ramirez to learn behind Mulitalo, and you have to be the best guard of all fore seeable time to be drafted mid first round.

It seemed like a big reason for us to not draft Thomas was how much money we have invested in the oline pre-draft, so why wouldnt that be a problem now? Of course with the contract we gave Kalimba the same arguement could be used against taking a DE.

TacticaLion
06-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Well we already grabbed Ramirez to learn behind Mulitalo, and you have to be the best guard of all fore seeable time to be drafted mid first round.

It seemed like a big reason for us to not draft Thomas was how much money we have invested in the oline pre-draft, so why wouldnt that be a problem now? Of course with the contract we gave Kalimba the same arguement could be used against taking a DE.No, the pre-draft concern with our OLine was IF we drafted Thomas at 2. If we did, it would make sense to move Backus to RT... but his contract would be WAY too big. Also, drafting an OT/OG around picks 10-15 this year would cost us considerably less than drafting Thomas at 2 or 3.

True, we did draft Ramirez and we also have Jon Scott. I would still love to see us take a dominant player instead of projects with question marks.

Also, I wouldn't care if we drafted an incredible OG at 10-15. If that was the best player available that filled our biggest need, I'd support it 100%.

familyguy555
06-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Kenny Phillips
Antione Cason

Scotty D
06-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't mind Dan Connor.

detroit4life
06-24-2007, 10:53 PM
calais cambell
kenny phillips
top cb

we need to go defense round one our cb's are in a huge need and we will find out this year that we still need an elite DE. Phillips i dont see unfortunatly since i think they staff sees bullocks and alexander as our future safety duo but i think phillips is going to be an amazing playmaker and i would have loved to seen him play in a lions uniform. After Phillips im hoping we're in a position to take cambell. But in the end CB and DE need to be addressed unless IAF Breaks out and edwards proves to be a force as well. I dont expect a breakout season by white i think he'll put up 5-7 sacks

Addict
06-25-2007, 01:57 AM
rey manluveranga (or whatever the hell his name is)
calais campbell
sam baker (who IMO is a better LT than Jake Long)

but my vote still goes to JD Booty.

detroit4life
06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
no jd booty please

im confident we'll end up taking a corner. Millens been looking to take a CB for the past few drafts and we either miss out on them or we're picking way to high for one. But at the same time Millen could be gone next year. Im confident it will be a CB or a DE

ThEvIcTR
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
If campbell isnt there i would have no problem with taking Phillips and keeping him a CB. Phillips would be a perfect fit for a CB in the Tampa 2. From what I have seen phillips is also a very good CB.

detroit4life
06-25-2007, 07:20 PM
yea true but i think i'd rather move alexander to cb and keep phillips at safety phillips is a much better playmaker and safety is more important than cb. Alexander is more expierienced at cb than at safety right now so he could make the move easily. But yea that would be a good idea

TacticaLion
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't think I'm sold on drafting a CB in the 1st round next year.

First of all, as we all know, CB is not a big need in the Tampa 2. Sure, it would be nice to have a playmaker, but we've got the players to fill in and play the position. Wilson is looking to have a breakout year, Fisher has a lot of experience (if he can stay healthy), Bryant is a solid performer (also, when he's healthy), Smith is impressing this year and, if Kennedy stays at SS, Alexander could even play the position.

DE is a different story. Marinelli is working closely with Edwards... but that work has to pay off for DE not to be a huge position of need. If Edwards doesn't have a great season, DE should be our focus early in next years draft.

Same with Lenon... if the MLB continues to be a position of weakness, I'd rather solidify it early in the draft than draft a CB.

Depending on how Foster, Mulitalo, Ramirez, Scott and Peterman play, we may also have to look to improving the OLine. If the line struggles, that should be a focus in the 1st round next year as well.

In other words: Unless key players break out this year, I think the first few picks need to be spend elsewhere than CB.

Xiomera
06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Let's see . . .

Mario Manningham, no doubt . . . then Limas Sweed from Texas . . . and . . . OH! Gotta get a place kicker in the first round . . .

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Round1 Campbell (Kalimba can finally be dumped next year cap wise if he doesn't perform this year, I say take Campbell anyway if he declares early after another great year). This unfortunately would be a Top 5 pick.
Round 2 Jasper Brinkley MLB unless Laurinitis/USC Guy available
Round 3 Paul Oliver from Supplemental draft this year

Sniper
06-27-2007, 02:16 AM
Mario Manningham, Calais Campbell, Jake Long, Kenny Phillips, any USC linebacker, Earl Bennett. That is all.

Iamcanadian
06-27-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't think I'm sold on drafting a CB in the 1st round next year.

First of all, as we all know, CB is not a big need in the Tampa 2. Sure, it would be nice to have a playmaker, but we've got the players to fill in and play the position. Wilson is looking to have a breakout year, Fisher has a lot of experience (if he can stay healthy), Bryant is a solid performer (also, when he's healthy), Smith is impressing this year and, if Kennedy stays at SS, Alexander could even play the position.

DE is a different story. Marinelli is working closely with Edwards... but that work has to pay off for DE not to be a huge position of need. If Edwards doesn't have a great season, DE should be our focus early in next years draft.

Same with Lenon... if the MLB continues to be a position of weakness, I'd rather solidify it early in the draft than draft a CB.

Depending on how Foster, Mulitalo, Ramirez, Scott and Peterman play, we may also have to look to improving the OLine. If the line struggles, that should be a focus in the 1st round next year as well.

In other words: Unless key players break out this year, I think the first few picks need to be spend elsewhere than CB.

I agree with everything you said. Cover 2 teams don't draft CB's in round 1 and DE and MLB are our top priorities for the 2008 draft.

detroit4life
06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with everything you said. Cover 2 teams don't draft CB's in round 1 and DE and MLB are our top priorities for the 2008 draft.

i agree but just because of that we cannot just ignore the cb position. Right now we are in serious need of cbs and we need to address that position. A playmaking and shut down CB will still make an impact on this defense. Look and ronde barber on the bucs with out his presence that defense owuld not have been the same.

DE and MLB are huge question marks but with Lenon and Lehman at MLB and IAF Kalimba and White at DE both these positions could be fine. Its something we wontknow until the end of the season.
CB is different bryant will most likely be gone next year unless he has a breakout year. Wilson is starting for his first year and fischer has injury issues. CB is depleted on this team so just becasue it is not a huge deal in the cover 2 doesnt mean we shouldnt adress it.
Yes if our DEs do not perform im sure we will go DE and if we are in a position to take Cambell we probly will still take him because he is that good but if not and we're in a position to take a top CB i'd be shocked if we dont take him.

Scotty D
06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
You want to know whats sad? The fact that DE and MLB were our top needs for the '07 draft.

detroit4life
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
You want to know whats sad? The fact that DE and MLB were our top needs for the '07 draft.

see i think that in our minds MLB was a need but it looks as if the coaches were confidennt that lenon or lehman will be able to take over that spot and be successful.

DE is a need unless Edwards breaksout

asmitty45
06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Antoine Cason/Kenny Phillips would be my two i want the most. Although if Gerald alexander ends up at safety we may nto need phillips. Rey MAualuga would be nice too.

TacticaLion
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
DE and MLB are huge question marks but with Lenon and Lehman at MLB and IAF Kalimba and White at DE both these positions could be fine. Its something we wontknow until the end of the season.
CB is different bryant will most likely be gone next year unless he has a breakout year. Wilson is starting for his first year and fischer has injury issues. CB is depleted on this team so just becasue it is not a huge deal in the cover 2 doesnt mean we shouldnt adress it.Hmm...

You mention Lenon and Lehman at MLB and say that the position "could" be fine (any position "could" be fine), then point out Fisher's "injury issues". We all know the struggles Lehman has had with his foot... so you can't count injuries against Fisher without mentioning Lehman's past situation.

Also, and I hate to say it, IAF and White are hardly prototypical Cover 2 DEs. White has *some* speed, but isn't a pure pass-rusher... and IAF would be a better DT for a Cover 2 defense. And... Kalimba... come on. I think Wilson at CB gives me a better feeling than Kalimba at DE. At least Wilson is young and has been improving... working for a starting job... it seems that Kalimba hasn't improved at all.

A CB group of Bryant, Fisher and Wilson is solid for a Cover 2. Sure, any of them could get injured or struggle, but that applies to every position. I'd rather have an average group of CBs for a Cover 2 defense than an average group of DEs... and we have both.

detroit4life
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Hmm...

You mention Lenon and Lehman at MLB and say that the position "could" be fine (any position "could" be fine), then point out Fisher's "injury issues". We all know the struggles Lehman has had with his foot... so you can't count injuries against Fisher without mentioning Lehman's past situation.

Also, and I hate to say it, IAF and White are hardly prototypical Cover 2 DEs. White has *some* speed, but isn't a pure pass-rusher... and IAF would be a better DT for a Cover 2 defense. And... Kalimba... come on. I think Wilson at CB gives me a better feeling than Kalimba at DE. At least Wilson is young and has been improving... working for a starting job... it seems that Kalimba hasn't improved at all.

A CB group of Bryant, Fisher and Wilson is solid for a Cover 2. Sure, any of them could get injured or struggle, but that applies to every position. I'd rather have an average group of CBs for a Cover 2 defense than an average group of DEs... and we have both.

i agree i think DE MLB and CB are our biggest needs. But so far i've heard nothin but great remarks on lenon and his progression. That could be all bull and it woudnt shock me but i thought i'd throw that out there and with lehman if he returns to whaty he was before he got injured MLB will be fine he did very well as a rookie. White did play in a cover two last few years in tampa so i think he does fit the system. Edwards and IAF are huge question marks right now and their performance will be the biggest factor in all of this. If they struggle its no doubt DE. But if they do alright im pretty sure we'll look at CB. I dont see a MLB be picked in round one for us unless we end up in the teens if we do need onei think theyd take one in round 2 but thats just my opinion it seems like you can get quality LBs in round 2

TacticaLion
07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
i agree i think DE MLB and CB are our biggest needs. But so far i've heard nothin but great remarks on lenon and his progression. That could be all bull and it woudnt shock me but i thought i'd throw that out there and with lehman if he returns to whaty he was before he got injured MLB will be fine he did very well as a rookie. White did play in a cover two last few years in tampa so i think he does fit the system. Edwards and IAF are huge question marks right now and their performance will be the biggest factor in all of this. If they struggle its no doubt DE. But if they do alright im pretty sure we'll look at CB. I dont see a MLB be picked in round one for us unless we end up in the teens if we do need onei think theyd take one in round 2 but thats just my opinion it seems like you can get quality LBs in round 2Agree completely. It all depends on how the year goes and which players step-up.

I honestly think our CB group could do fine this year, but there's always a chance that injuries hit and players struggle. And, as much as I'd like Lenon to be a stud, i'll have to see it to believe it.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Our secondary does have a chance this year despite our apparent weaknesses,

Travaris Jackson twice, Jason Campbell, Josh McCown, Rex Grossman(inconsistent) twice,Jeff Garcia(not on Philly), and Damon Huard are not exaclty QBs I see lighting us up as a definite thing.

Favre(twice despite throwing 3 tds and 6 ints in the last 4 games vs the Lions), Romo,Rivers(because of LT),Cutler,Leinart(because of Boldin/Fitz),Eli Manning, McNabb on the other hand have a better shot to light us up, but only Favre and McNabb in that group are really proven vets.

detroit4life
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
i agree i definitly am waiting to see what lenon does. Same with the secondary. i think our needs all depend on the performance of our DEs CB MLB. CB may be alright this year but its still weak and will need to be adressed either way.