PDA

View Full Version : Sedrick Ellis vs. Mike Patterson

Jericho@SC
06-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Simply put, Sedrick Ellis improved leaps and bounds this past season. He's replaced Mike Patterson, which I didn't think was possible.

Now, to be fair, Mike Patterson and Sedrick are two different types of players. Mike Patterson is a true 3 technique DT. Whereas Ellis is a nose tackle who to me is in the mold of Warren Sapp or Damione Lewis the way he rushes the passer.

But both have remarkable speed and quickness, and are monsters in the weight room.

If both of these players were in the same draft, who would you guys take?

TouchdownUSC
06-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Sed Ellis for sure

TACKLE
06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Sedrick Ellis. The guys a beast. He's got a great combo of strength and quickness.

HoopsDemon12
06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Its really really close for me acutally... i think ellis will go higher... and most peoples will say him simply because he is fresher in peoples still being in college... but i mean they were both great and to me patterson was the better player at USC... but i think Ellis will be a better pro

ricky bobby
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm going with Ellis also.

TACKLE
06-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Its really really close for me acutally... i think ellis will go higher... and most peoples will say him simply because he is fresher in peoples still being in college... but i mean they were both great and to me patterson was the better player at USC... but i think Ellis will be a better pro

The only thing about Patterson was that he had Shaun Cody playing beside him. Shaun Cody was a stud at SC. When you have 2 really good DT's you get one on one mathcups a lot more. USC currently has a really solid DL but Ellis is always taking on the doble-teams and is still very productive.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Whenever someone brings up Sedrick Ellis, I think of that hit he put on Brady Quinn. That was a sick hit.

LarryJohnson27
06-25-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm going to go with Ellis also

marks01234
06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Guess somebody has to go with Patterson.

Nobody at the DT position has as quick of a first step as Patterson. Not even Tommie Harris at OU. He was strong enough to overpower OLs on the college level and was able to disrupt countless schemes.

I would argue that Patterson benefited Cody more than the other way around.

Jericho@SC
06-28-2007, 07:58 PM
So if the consensus is that Ellis is atleast as good as Patterson, is he a first round lock?

ricky bobby
06-28-2007, 08:46 PM
So if the consensus is that Ellis is atleast as good as Patterson, is he a first round lock?
IMO, yes. The only better DT in next year's draft would be Glenn Dorsey. I have the Giants taking Ellis with their first pick in my '08 mock draft.

elway777
06-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Sedrick Ellis ran a 4.86 out of high school with a 30+ vertical. The kid is a freak. His stats may not say it, but he's SC's best player on Defense.

keylime_5
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I go with Ellis. He's the heart/soul of SC's defensive line. That's gonna be a sick unit with Jackson and Ellis and Griffen as a backup DE.

CC.SD
06-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Obviously Ellis is pure 100% grade A beast, but I think you guys have forgotten Mike Patterson a little. He was unstoppable in college and now he's a monster in the pros.

ricky bobby
06-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Obviously Ellis is pure 100% grade A beast, but I think you guys have forgotten Mike Patterson a little. He was unstoppable in college and now he's a monster in the pros.
Don't take us wrong, Patterson is no scrub. Philly signed him to a long extension for a reason.

They are very similar players. Both a bit short, but very quick and athletic.

07-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Definatly I though it was gonna take awhile for us to replace Lil' Sapp (That's Mike Patterson) but Sed Ellis replaced him without missing a beat. There both great Trojans I wouldn't be able to pick between them all I know is Pete Carroll is god! Fight On SC!

bored of education
07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
red bryant!

Sniper
07-04-2007, 10:55 PM

Monster? No. Good DT who needs to pack on size badly? Yup. Patterson is so fast for a DT but he gets pushed around on running plays A LOT. If he bulks up a little bit and gets stronger he will be a terror.