PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 'prepared' for long holdout?

Splat
06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/7470

Chiefs RB Larry Johnson asked by the KC Star if he's prepared for a long holdout? "I'm prepared," Johnson said matter-of-factly. Speculation has centered on Johnson seeking a contract that falls between the deals given LaDainian Tomlinson (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/935) ($21 million in guarantees) and Peyton Manning (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/466) ($35 million in guarantees).

jag
06-21-2007, 04:50 PM
He's crazy if he thinks they're going to give him that kind of money. I could see maybe 10-15 million in guaranteed but thats just ridiculous.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 04:51 PM
They should trade him for a first rounder ASAP.

jag
06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
They should trade him for a first rounder ASAP.
I doubt they'd even get that much.

cardsalltheway
06-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, LJ is a very good back, but he's delusional if he thinks he deserves the kind of money that LT and Peyton are getting.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I doubt they'd even get that much.

The Pack were about to give a 1st and 4th.

jag
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Those where rumors at best, because there is no way a GM like Ted Thompson would give that much for a running back who really only has 2 good years left.

Splat
06-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Only has two years left LOL we ain't talking about Fred Taylor LJ stays on the field when he is nicked up the guy has only started one full year in the NFL.

Geo
06-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Good for him. KC has asked him to carry the team on his legs last year, they gave him a ridiculous workload the year before in the hopes of making the playoffs, and now they don't want to step up? Screw them, don't show up until after Week 11 and then become an unrestricted free agent.

Once that happens, either the Chiefs will pay him what he deserves as a franchise tagged player, or he'll hit the open market and get the long-term deal he deserves.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Only has two years left LOL we ain't talking about Fred Taylor LJ stays on the field when he is nicked up the guy has only started one full year in the NFL.

LMAO @ these people who think he is already done!

skinzzfan25
06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Well it looks like the Chiefs are poised for another season on LJ's back if they are going anywhere. Might as well pay him, he's the only threat on offense.

Splat
06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Screw them, don't show up until after Week 11 and then become an unrestricted free agent.

He can't if he does that he can't void the last two years of his deal he has to play this year to void them that is how they worked his rookie deal.

Geo
06-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the update, Splat. At least he'll be there from Week 1 on, then.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Those where rumors at best, because there is no way a GM like Ted Thompson would give that much for a running back who really only has 2 good years left.

Only has two good years left? Your delusional.

He started one year in college and one in the NFL. He still has very little mileage on him. He is in the best shape of his life and should be able to play at a high level until he is 32 or 33.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Only has two good years left? Your delusional.

He started one year in college and one in the NFL. He still has very little mileage on him. He is in the best shape of his life and should be able to play at a high level until he is 32 or 33.

People think that this 400 carry season was a death wish.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Well it looks like the Chiefs are poised for another season on LJ's back if they are going anywhere. Might as well pay him, he's the only threat on offense.

Tony Gonzalez?

Hello

I know people have heard of him.

We also have some good backups at runningback with Michael Bennett and Kolby Smith. Eddie Kennison is still a dependable wide receiver and we have several young talented wide receivers with Dwayne Bowe, Jeff Webb, and Chris Hannon. Hannon is probably the fastest guy on the field and is catching everything that is thrown his way.

I guess I could say the Skins only weapon is Clinton Portis.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
People think that this 400 carry season was a death wish.

People can think all they want.

Who cares if he had 400 carries. If he had 50 less carries which would have put him down around 360 carries would that 50 less carries have magically extended his career past this year?

People act like there is some magical barrier at 400 carries and once a player hits that barrier it causes their body to fall apart.

Bullcrap.

LJ has far less wear and tear than other runningbacks like LT, Shaun Alexander, and Edgerrin James.

LT had 5,200+ yards in college as well as six straight seasons of 400 or more touches if you count receptions.

Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James have both had seasons shortened or ended by injuries.

Larry Johnson has never had a major injury and he has only started two full seasons between college and the NFL.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Who cares if he had 400 carries. If he had 50 less carries which would have put him down around 360 carries would that 50 less carries have magically extended his career past this year?

People act like there is some magical barrier at 400 carries and once a player hits that barrier it causes their body to fall apart.

Bullcrap.

LJ has far less wear and tear than other runningbacks like LT, Shaun Alexander, and Edgerrin James.

LT had 5,200+ yards in college as well as six straight seasons of 400 or more touches if you count receptions.

Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James have both had seasons shortened or ended by injuries.

Larry Johnson has never had a major injury and he has only started two full seasons between college and the NFL.

Post of the day.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, LJ is a very good back, but he's delusional if he thinks he deserves the kind of money that LT and Peyton are getting.

With the way contracts are rising it is kind of like inflation. 100$ in 1950 is worth much more than 100$ today. Similarly, LJ will likely get a larger contract than LT although it is not as big a chunk of the salary cap as it once was. Heck, Shaun Alexander got a contract larger than LT's and he's not as good as LJ or LT.

The Chiefs don't report to training camp until July 27th. The Chiefs have traded contract proposals multiple times during that time and I truly believe they will get a contract done before training camp.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
With the way contracts are rising it is kind of like inflation. 100$ in 1950 is worth much more than 100$ today. Similarly, LJ will likely get a larger contract than LT although it is not as big a chunk of the salary cap as it once was. Heck, Shaun Alexander got a contract larger than LT's and he's not as good as LJ or LT.

The Chiefs don't report to training camp until July 27th. The Chiefs have traded contract proposals multiple times during that time and I truly believe they will get a contract done before training camp.

Yes we all known inflation exists but over a 5 year period don't expect to much of a drastic jump. LT was also much younger when he got his.

cardsalltheway
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM

No one is saying that 400 is some magical number that will hurt your career, but the fact is that of the four other backs to do that in history, only one was able to continue playing at a high level afterwards. Now since Larry was so fresh before this, his body will probably handle it differently and I don't agree that he only has two good seasons left; but to think that having the most carries in a single NFL season won't have any effect at all on him is illogical.

fenikz
06-21-2007, 06:02 PM
and the fact that LJ runs with his shoulders high he takes more damage than backs like LT and Edge

but I believe he will be good until he is at least 32

they should just pay him

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
well i don't think Nate Clements helped this situation.

these contract holdouts are becoming such a pain in the ass and so repetitive. when will they just sign shorter contracts or just play what they signed for. i understand the fact that they may deserve more because of market value and such, and that many players are underpaid, but they should honor the contract or sign a shorter deal to begin with.

I don't think LJ wearing down is something they are concerned with right now, because at worst he has another 4 years in him IMO. how long a deal is he looking for??

cheesehead10790
06-21-2007, 06:30 PM
As a Packer fan id be willing to trade for him. I still think hell be a top 5 back for next year and most likely a top 3 back. He deserves the money for how much the Chiefs rely on him. If they dont want to give him the money he deserves then send him to a team that wouldnt mind spending the extra money for him...like say GB :D

Splat
06-21-2007, 08:08 PM
and the fact that LJ runs with his shoulders high he takes more damage than backs like LT and Edge

This is true I agree 100% but LJ knows that he has to tweak his running some he has all ready said in a interview that he is going to work on making people miss and going out of bounds more. That being said LJ is still going to be LJ he will still be a tough runner just smarter about when to lower the boom and when not to.

Splat
06-21-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't think LJ wearing down is something they are concerned with right now, because at worst he has another 4 years in him IMO. how long a deal is he looking for??

Both sides want to do a long term deal 6 or 7 years from what I understand but the Chiefs want it to be back loaded and LJ wants big money the first few years I don't blame him. The guy has been making less then some back up RB's the last two years this year if nothing changes he would make 1.7 mill while M.Turner in SD is making 2.5 that is crap.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Both sides want to do a long term deal 6 or 7 years from what I understand but the Chiefs want it to be back loaded and LJ wants big money the first few years I don't blame him. The guy has been making less then some back up RB's the last two years this year if nothing changes he would make 1.7 mill while M.Turner in SD is making 2.5 that is crap.

He will produce soon not later so why not front load it?

Stash
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
He will produce soon not later so why not front load it?

The Chiefs want to backload it because that way they can get rid of him before the big money is due. Just look at the Clements signing in SF as an example. It was somethign like a 7yr deal, but he will probably only be there the first 4 and then they will get rid of him to avoid ponying up the doe.

JK17
06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Tony Gonzalez?

Hello

We also have some good backups at runningback with Michael Bennett and Kolby Smith. Eddie Kennison is still a dependable wide receiver and we have several young talented wide receivers with Dwayne Bowe, Jeff Webb, and Chris Hannon. Hannon is probably the fastest guy on the field and is catching everything that is thrown his way.

A little late on this here, but not much else going on to post about...

I think you're overexagerating the Chiefs' weapons a little bit here. Every team has a guy they consider to be a steady contributor (your Eddie Kennison). That doesn't mean you count that guy as a weapon just because they are average. Then you have more young and unproven WRs, who may show signs they are strong weapons, but haven't shown it yet. Backups, especially to guys who get 400+ carries/touches a year, are not all that dangerous themselves either.

The only one I would give you is Tony Gonzalez, who is still a top TE in the league, but is slowed down/slowing down, and won't be that option much longer.

On top of all that, who is throwing the ball, the third round draft choice Brodie Croyle with 0 NFL experience, or the career backup Damon Huard who looked good in a couple games but has started about 14 games in 11 years.

You also could say that the Skins only have Clinton Portis, but you'd be ignoring Santana Moss who has shown he is a good receiver, Chris Cooley who has had two very strong years in a row, and even Antwaan Randle El, who is far from a stud, but is an explosive player.

LJ is not the Chiefs only weapon, but he is certainly not surrounded by a ton of talent. He's got guys who have potential around him, and a decent backup, but he's not on an all-star roster.

ncstateviking
06-21-2007, 09:03 PM
i think that they should work it somewhat like the nba does. they should have a max contract type thing where all the elite players cant go passed a certain contract level. that way people wont start thinking they are underpaid just because one team way overpays a player and such.

yo123
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Tony Gonzalez?

Hello

michael bennett is not good. you have fun with him.

skinzzfan25
06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Tony Gonzalez?

Hello

Inexperienced QBs (Huard is still pretty new, and you just dumped your best QB with Green)

Dumped Hall, your only playmaker outside of LJ and now you have Kennison and a line that has lost a step. Bowe looks promising, but if you don't have LJ, your cooked. Have fun with Bennett.

I mean, at least when CP was out our offense was fairly full functional (with Campbell). Take LJ from the Chiefs and your not even sniffing past Denver or San Diego. So either pay up, or bite the bullet this year and start rebuilding around Croyle.

Gonzo is good, but is on the downside of his career, and the last thing he should be doing is helping restructure a team.

Mr. Stiller
06-21-2007, 10:22 PM
The Cheifs are losing olineman and haven't replaced them. They had no offense except LJ last season.

If you're going to ride him... he should get paid like it

Man_Of_Steel
06-21-2007, 10:32 PM
LJ is a complete workhorse and the Chiefs seem to have no problem running him into the ground. Lets not forget that KC didnt treat him all that great his first couple years. In my opinion he's thinking,
1. Demand lots of money and make my stay in KC worth it.
2. If they dont give me the cash i get a new team, what I want.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 10:32 PM

I would actually rather frontload it. With all of the veterans we parted ways with this offseason I believe we are going to have alot of cap room next year. Most of our high priced players are gone. I would rather sign LJ to a deal where the majority the salary is paid the next couple of years. That way by the time he is 31 or 32 if he does hit a wall we can cut him if we wanted to and the cap hit would not be that large.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
A little late on this here, but not much else going on to post about...

I think you're overexagerating the Chiefs' weapons a little bit here. Every team has a guy they consider to be a steady contributor (your Eddie Kennison). That doesn't mean you count that guy as a weapon just because they are average. Then you have more young and unproven WRs, who may show signs they are strong weapons, but haven't shown it yet. Backups, especially to guys who get 400+ carries/touches a year, are not all that dangerous themselves either.

The only one I would give you is Tony Gonzalez, who is still a top TE in the league, but is slowed down/slowing down, and won't be that option much longer.

On top of all that, who is throwing the ball, the third round draft choice Brodie Croyle with 0 NFL experience, or the career backup Damon Huard who looked good in a couple games but has started about 14 games in 11 years.

You also could say that the Skins only have Clinton Portis, but you'd be ignoring Santana Moss who has shown he is a good receiver, Chris Cooley who has had two very strong years in a row, and even Antwaan Randle El, who is far from a stud, but is an explosive player.

LJ is not the Chiefs only weapon, but he is certainly not surrounded by a ton of talent. He's got guys who have potential around him, and a decent backup, but he's not on an all-star roster.

Tony Gonzalez is not slowing down. He still had a pro bowl year last year. Shannon Sharpe went well into his 30's and I see no reason why Tony can't also. Tony Gonzalez is well known for taking great care of his body and he has only had a few minor injuries in his career.

People should realize that the only difference between this Chiefs offense and the record breaking offense of several years ago is the offensive line. We didn't have any more offensive weapons then than we do now. Our wide receivers consisted of Eddie Kennison and Johnnie Morton. We will not be a top 5 offense anymore but we still easily have the talent to open room up for LJ and to rank in the middle of the pack on offense. Last year we put up 41 points on San Fransisco and we put up 30+ against Seattle and San Diego. We have more weapons than last year and this offense can be explosive at times. With the improvements on defense we have made the offense only needs to be middle of the pack.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 10:37 PM
LJ is a complete workhorse and the Chiefs seem to have no problem running him into the ground. Lets not forget that KC didnt treat him all that great his first couple years. In my opinion he's thinking,
1. Demand lots of money and make my stay in KC worth it.
2. If they dont give me the cash i get a new team, what I want.

That was Dick Vermeil who treated him like ****. Dick Vermeil didn't want to draft him in the first place and they never got along. Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards love LJ. LJ has been a model citizen recently and the Chiefs should have no problem with giving him his money.

kmartin575
06-21-2007, 10:41 PM
The Cheifs are losing olineman and haven't replaced them. They had no offense except LJ last season.

If you're going to ride him... he should get paid like it

Didn't replace them? I don't necessarily blame anybody for this but most people outside of KC don't know what they are talking about on this. Believe it or not the team has planned on this retirement. John Welbourn was a very good guard in Philly and should do better at guard for us than he did at tackle. We also signed Damion McIntosh who is no pro bowler but is an upgrade over Jordan Black. And then we signed Chris Terry last year who is going to start at right tackle. He was a very good right tackle for both Carolina and Seattle. He is an upgrade over the injury prone Kevin Sampson. This line is better than the one we had last year, even without Will Shields.

Phrost
06-21-2007, 10:41 PM
That was Dick Vermeil who treated him like ****. Dick Vermeil didn't want to draft him in the first place and they never got along. Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards love LJ. LJ has been a model citizen recently and the Chiefs should have no problem with giving him his money.

If you can't get along with Dick Vermeil, you are the problem.

JK17
06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Tony Gonzalez is not slowing down. He still had a pro bowl year last year. Shannon Sharpe went well into his 30's and I see no reason why Tony can't also. Tony Gonzalez is well known for taking great care of his body and he has only had a few minor injuries in his career.
Tony Gonzalez is a great player yes, but saying he's at the same level he was a couple years ago is a little homerish of you. No doubt he takes good care of himself, and he is a good player, but he simply does not have the same tools he did now. Again to reiterate, still good, but slowing down. I wasn't discounting him as a weapon.

People should realize that the only difference between this Chiefs offense and the record breaking offense of several years ago is the offensive line.

Trent Green? (A great QB at the time)

Not to mention the strength of the Chiefs team for years has been Offensive Line. They had one of the best offensive lines of all time, so to say "that's the only difference is ridiculous. Oh and that offense also had Priest Holmes, who was a more versatile threat then LJ.

We didn't have any more offensive weapons then than we do now. Our wide receivers consisted of Eddie Kennison and Johnnie Morton. We will not be a top 5 offense anymore but we still easily have the talent to open room up for LJ and to rank in the middle of the pack on offense.
But you still don't really have weapons aside from LJ, and an aging Tony Gonzalez, which is what I said in my original post.

Last year we put up 41 points on San Fransisco and we put up 30+ against Seattle and San Diego. We have more weapons than last year and this offense can be explosive at times. With the improvements on defense we have made the offense only needs to be middle of the pack.

Scoring over 30 three times a season is nothing that special. As far as having more weapons, I wouldn't necesarily say that either. What is so different from last year, aside from the fact that your O-Line (and TE) all got older, you lost Trent Green (who I know, was not a weapon last year), and you added a rookie WR. I wouldn't consider a rookie WR a weapon, given the high bust factor that comes with them, which really I don't see where the offense got these new weapons from. As far as the defense, thats another argument I won't pretend like I know enough about to be a part of, right now. I wasn't arguing that in the first place, it was the "offensive weapons" aside from LJ I objected too.

skinzzfan25
06-21-2007, 11:12 PM
+ Skins got Saunders :)

49erfaithful
06-22-2007, 12:00 AM
its just crazy that he wants more money, even though he is already a multi millionare

Basileus777
06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
its just crazy that he wants more money, even though he is already a multi millionare

LJ has been playing on a rookie contract, its not like he has cashed in already.

49erfaithful
06-22-2007, 12:09 AM
LJ has been playing on a rookie contract, its not like he has cashed in already.

oh my bad, blanked right there

ShutDwn
06-22-2007, 12:15 AM
oh my bad, i blanked right there

His position is one of the highest risk positions too though. He could easily go down and end his career. Not many guys have plans after the NFL, not everyone is a Gado.

Nothing wrong with getting the money you deserve, doesn't matter if it is millions.

yo123
06-22-2007, 12:18 AM
I have no problem with what LJ is doing, if the Chiefs want to run him into the ground, I would want the money that I'm going to lose from those years I'm going to lose from having to retire early.

49erfaithful
06-22-2007, 12:22 AM
His position is one of the highest risk positions too though. He could easily go down and end his career. Not many guys have plans after the NFL, not everyone is a Gado.

Nothing wrong with getting the money you deserve, doesn't matter if it is millions.

ya i just thought he got a new deal like a couple years ago but then after i posted realized he had only been in the league like 5 years

d34ng3l021
06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
He deserves a new contract that isnt backloaded. The Cheifs run him to the ground and who knows how long he will be able to pay, and the Chiefs dont want to pay him, even though they are risking his health and NFL career? I dont see whast wrong with what Johnson wants.

Splat
06-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I dont see whast wrong with what Johnson wants.

What Johnson wants is more then what LT got should they pay the man heck ya should they pay him LT money heck NO!

T-RICH49
06-23-2007, 01:44 PM
What Johnson wants is more then what LT got should they pay the man heck ya should they pay him LT money heck NO!

actually LJ's agent(take it for what it's worth) said he's not asking for the 80-90 million dollar deal as has been reported.He want as much guaranteed as LT got but not total value.I would give him 20-25 million guaranteed

kmartin575
06-23-2007, 07:50 PM
michael bennett is not good. you have fun with him.

He has been to the pro bowl and averaged 5.6 yards a carry in the limited playing time he got. He doesn't have to be starter good but he is a decent backup.

kmartin575
06-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Tony Gonzalez is a great player yes, but saying he's at the same level he was a couple years ago is a little homerish of you. No doubt he takes good care of himself, and he is a good player, but he simply does not have the same tools he did now. Again to reiterate, still good, but slowing down. I wasn't discounting him as a weapon.

In the 9 seasons Tony Gonzalez has been a starter he has averaged:

76.4 receptions a season
926.8 yards a season
6.5 touchdowns a season

Last year he had:
73 receptions
900 yards
5 touchdowns

How exactly has his production declined from past years? He is still putting up just as good as stats as he has in the past and he is still making the pro bowl every year.

The stats don't back up your claim.

BlindSite
06-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Tony Gonzalez will soon statistically be the best of all time, which IMO he is.

Geo
07-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Fantastic article by Adam Schefter on LJ (http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10262309), which I recommend everyone read.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
He has been to the pro bowl and averaged 5.6 yards a carry in the limited playing time he got. He doesn't have to be starter good but he is a decent backup.

lol if you guys lose KJ your offense will go down the drain. Every defense will play back on the TE and WR's which wont allow you guys to do much.

CC.SD
07-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Tony Gonzalez will soon statistically be the best of all time, which IMO he is.

Yeah but Gates is on pace to blow those records away. It's like Favre and Manning.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Ok, here we go...

Vick, if he violates his contract in a certain way (I think being in jail or convicted or something falls under that someone said) can be cut without penalty.

Petrino loves power running. He has a great explosive back but lacks a power guy.

So...Falcons give the Chiefs a 2nd round pick (they have 2 next year) and a conditional 4th in '09 draft for Larry Johnson. We can pony up the money and you get a high pick (probably top 40).

Only thing I wouldn't do is throw in Norwood, which they would probably want. Kind of like the Champ Bailey (2nd round pick) and Clinton Portis (Larry Johnson) deal a couple years ago when Bell (Norwood) was thrown in. Norwood is too beasty to not be on our team.

Just dreaming...

USAF Chief
07-22-2007, 04:41 PM
2nd and a 4th for basically the 2nd best back in the league?

Pass me what your smoking, because it must be good.

CC.SD
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
2nd and a 4th for basically the 2nd best back in the league?

Pass me what your smoking, because it must be good.

Isn't that exactly what the Colts got for Marshall Faulk?

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Isn't that exactly what the Colts got for Marshall Faulk?

Faulk was traded to the St. Louis Rams the following season due to problems he referred to as "misunderstandings." Faulk had missed practices and was considered holding out for a new contract. Colts president Bill Polian did not want his young team's chemistry damaged, so he traded Faulk for second- and fifth-round picks in the upcoming draft (used by the Colts to draft LB Mike Peterson and DE Brad Scioli).

So it was less.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok, here we go...

Vick, if he violates his contract in a certain way (I think being in jail or convicted or something falls under that someone said) can be cut without penalty.

Petrino loves power running. He has a great explosive back but lacks a power guy.

So...Falcons give the Chiefs a 2nd round pick (they have 2 next year) and a conditional 4th in '09 draft for Larry Johnson. We can pony up the money and you get a high pick (probably top 40).

Only thing I wouldn't do is throw in Norwood, which they would probably want. Kind of like the Champ Bailey (2nd round pick) and Clinton Portis (Larry Johnson) deal a couple years ago when Bell (Norwood) was thrown in. Norwood is too beasty to not be on our team.

Just dreaming...

Norwood and LJ would be insane.

neko4
07-22-2007, 07:53 PM

that will never happen, unless he somehow comes to terms with his own value

TheChampIsHere
07-22-2007, 08:04 PM

that is ridiculous, hes been starting for a year and a half and youre saying he has 2 good years left? LJ is a tank but its true that Herm Edwards is asking way too much of him, and will run him into the ground like this, which could maybe make Larry Johnsons career end up similar to someone like Earl Campbell, but he still lasted a lot more than 4 years. But I dont blame Larry for wanting to get a big payday now with the market being as good as it is and him being in his prime.

Geo
07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Conditional 4th, lol.

Just dreaming...
Tatum Bell wasn't thrown in, the Redskins included their 2nd round pick in the deal which the Broncos used on Bell.

Faulk was traded to the St. Louis Rams the following season due to problems he referred to as "misunderstandings." Faulk had missed practices and was considered holding out for a new contract. Colts president Bill Polian did not want his young team's chemistry damaged, so he traded Faulk for second- and fifth-round picks in the upcoming draft (used by the Colts to draft LB Mike Peterson and DE Brad Scioli).

So it was less.
And the Colts also had the 4th overall pick in the 1999 Draft, with which they could have used to draft either Edgerrin James or Ricky Williams, hence why Polian pulled the trigger on trading away the nearing-malcontent Faulk.

TheChampIsHere
07-22-2007, 08:15 PM
In the 9 seasons Tony Gonzalez has been a starter he has averaged:

76.4 receptions a season
926.8 yards a season
6.5 touchdowns a season

Last year he had:
73 receptions
900 yards
5 touchdowns

How exactly has his production declined from past years? He is still putting up just as good as stats as he has in the past and he is still making the pro bowl every year.

The stats don't back up your claim.

yeah but watching Tony play I dont feel like hes the same dominant player he used to be. Still an elite TE (second only to Gates), but not quite as good and thats my opinion regardless of stats. And the stats would indicates hes slowing down...

G GS REC YDS AVG LG TD 20+ 40+ 1st
1999 15 15 76 849 11.2 73 11 8 1 47
2000 16 16 93 1203 12.9 39 9 16 0 66
2001 16 16 73 917 12.6 36 6 13 0 49
2002 16 16 63 773 12.3 42 7 10 1 39
2003 16 16 71 916 12.9 67 10 14 2 48
2004 16 16 102 1258 12.3 32 7 19 0 69
2005 16 16 78 905 11.6 39 2 9 0 45
2006 15 15 73 900 12.3 57 5 9 1 54

Look at his number from 99-04 and from 05-06. 7 TDs combined in those 2 years, compared to 8.33 a year from 99-04, and look at the decline in receptions for 20+ or 40+ yards. Hes still great but I think were seeing the begginning of a decline for him.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Conditional 4th, lol.

Tatum Bell wasn't thrown in, the Redskins included their 2nd round pick in the deal which the Broncos used on Bell.

And the Colts also had the 4th overall pick in the 1999 Draft, with which they could have used to draft either Edgerrin James or Ricky Williams, hence why Polian pulled the trigger on trading away the nearing-malcontent Faulk.

Well, the Falcons obviously wouldn't give a top 10 pick (which they will likely have) for a 27 year old RB. So a top 40 pick and a 3rd/4th would probably be the only option. And keep in mind I said dreaming.

I didn't know that about Bell.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Well Ted Thompson likes to have a guy in the backfield who he can trust. He has Shawn Alexander in Seattle and he tried to keep Ahman Green.

Flyboy
07-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Fantastic article by Adam Schefter on LJ (http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10262309), which I recommend everyone read.

Good article. Very interesting to see how this will end up.

LonghornsLegend
07-22-2007, 10:59 PM
well i hope dallas doesnt shoot for him, i dont want to pay him that type of money...but he deserves it, and i cant blame him for asking...if briggs, and samuel along with others feel the same, he should as well...he had a huge season, consider that he started his career behind holmes, he wants his big payday...if the chiefs dont want that type of money invested, they should seek a trade and part ways now...

doubt the pack really still need him, if the browns have that type of money it wouldnt be a bad idea for them to go after him, or the texans

Flyboy
07-22-2007, 11:01 PM
If KC does trade him or something, their RB situation is going to be pure crap.

LonghornsLegend
07-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Conditional 4th, lol.

actually a 2nd and a 4th isnt that bad at all...now id prefer some type of player involved with these type of deals, id look for something along the lines of, 2nd, 4th, and a back along the lines of Ladell Betts...or a 3rd rder as well, getting alot of picks for a player can be a dice roll, but if you hit on all the picks, you definately end up with the upper hand

All I have to say is Javon Walker, everyone tried to blast him, including favre for thinking about holding out, he came out and played and look at what happened...if I were LJ id stick to my word and hold out just the same, the chiefs should at least get compensated if they dont want to pay the big bucks...i would of been shopping him around at draft time knowing this was coming

Flyboy
07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
i would of been shopping him around at draft time knowing this was coming

Actually, I believe that they were to some small degree.

yodabear
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM

I coulda rushed for 1,000 yards and made the pro-bowl team with that Vikings offense though....and I am a slow fat white guy.