View Full Version : SportingNews NFC Guard/Center rankings

scottyboy
06-23-2007, 11:13 AM
NFC Focus: Ranking the guards/centers
Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 4

Posted: June 22, 2007

SN correspondents

A quick look at how the guards and centers in the NFC stack up:

1. BEARS Six-time Pro Bowl C Olin Kreutz anchors the line and the locker room. LG Ruben Brown continues to enjoy a career renaissance at 35. RG Roberto Garza is physical and has good range.

2. VIKINGS At their positions, LG Steve Hutchinson and C Matt Birk are two of the smartest players in the game. RG Artis Hicks returns as the starter but might be best suited as a utility backup.

3. GIANTS LG Rich Seubert is finally healthy, and RG Chris Snee has outstanding strength and speed. C Shaun O'Hara has speed, smarts and leadership ability.

4. SAINTS LG Jamar Nesbit is a solid all-around player, and RG Jahri Evans looks like a future star. C Jeff Faine provides great leadership.

5. 49ERS At 35, LG Larry Allen remains a powerful force. C Eric Heitmann is a heady player who handles line calls exceptionally well. RG Justin Smiley has good strength and athleticism.

6. EAGLES RG Shawn Andrews is the strength of the line. LG Todd Herremans played well in his first year inside. C Jamaal Jackson moves well laterally and makes the right calls.

7. PANTHERS LG Mike Wahle has excellent footwork. If rookie C Ryan Kalil looks good at camp, the team likely will have Justin Hartwig and Geoff Hangartner compete with Evan Mathis for the right guard job.

8. COWBOYS C Andre Gurode has improved his recognition skills, and LG Kyle Kosier is solid. RG Leonard Davis has never lived up to his potential, but he's a significant upgrade.

9. BUCCANEERS RG Davin Joseph, a strong run blocker, anchors an improving unit. Rookie Arron Sears and Anthony Davis, who's moving from tackle, will compete at left guard. C John Wade is solid.

10. RAMS RG Richie Incognito packs a wallop, and LG Mark Setterstrom is a tenacious blocker. Veteran Andy McCollum will battle Brett Romberg at center.

11. REDSKINS C Casey Rabach is strong and steady, but the guard situation is unstable. RG Randy Thomas is coming off knee surgery, and veteran Todd Wade must adjust to playing inside.

12. FALCONS Rookie LG Justin Blalock must refine his technique. C Todd McClure is a marvel in the middle despite limited ability. RG Kynan Forney should fare well in the new power-blocking scheme.

13. SEAHAWKS C Chris Spencer is talented but needs to improve his presnap calls. LG Rob Sims shows good power but lacks experience. RG Chris Gray will be challenged by Ray Willis and Floyd Womack.

14. CARDINALS RG Deuce Lutui is athletic but young, and LG Reggie Wells might struggle in the move from right tackle. C Al Johnson is expected to bring stability.

15. PACKERS LG Daryn Colledge and RG Jason Spitz both had more downs than ups in their rookie seasons. C Scott Wells has developed nicely.

16. LIONS Durable C Dominic Raiola is coming off his best season, but LG Edwin Mulitalo is recovering from a triceps injury and RG Stephen Peterman isn't battle-tested.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=226228

thoughts?

skinzzfan25
06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
With Dockery we would be top 5 :\

But Thomas is one of the best pulling Guards in the game. Hope Wade can make the transition from T to G.

Its all about The U
06-23-2007, 01:12 PM
i don't see how Wells will struggle at Guard thats his natural position

Brodeur
06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Stephen Peterman isn't even in contention for the RG position. Way to go Sporting News.

Go_Eagles77
06-23-2007, 01:21 PM
The Eagles at 6 is horrible, he obviously didn't see enough of them last year.

PACKmanN
06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
wow the Cardinals don't have a better o-line then us, thats bull.

The Dynasty
06-23-2007, 04:06 PM
wow the Cardinals don't have a better o-line then us, thats bull.

Yeah, Cards probably should be last place. Packers have young stars but they are a lot better than Cardinals.

I like being in the number 2 side, If we had a better right side we'd be in 1st.

M.O.T.H.
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Stephen Peterman isn't even in contention for the RG position. Way to go Sporting News.

Honestly, I didnt know he was still in the league...

cunningham06
06-24-2007, 01:02 AM
The Eagles are too low, they are certainly superior to the 49ers and Saints. The Eagles and Giants are pretty much even.

Caddy
06-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I like the Bucs at #9 and really think they can improve that ranking if Sears and Buenning improve at G/C.

Sniper
06-24-2007, 01:31 AM
The Eagles are too low, they are certainly superior to the 49ers and Saints. The Eagles and Giants are pretty much even.

This may sound homerish, but I think the Eagles get the nod ahead of the Giants due to the fact that Shawn Andrews is an absolute monster. But it's still close.

Paul
06-24-2007, 01:34 AM
I'd say the NFC is pretty stacked when it comes to G/C. AFC can take all the flashy positions.

cunningham06
06-24-2007, 01:39 AM
This may sound homerish, but I think the Eagles get the nod ahead of the Giants due to the fact that Shawn Andrews is an absolute monster. But it's still close.

No doubt, but Snee is quite good as well. The reason I say they are about even is because Shaun O'hara is better at this point than Jamaal Jackson. Herremans is better than Seubert, so I'd give the Eagles the edge, but not by too much.

Sniper
06-24-2007, 02:19 AM
Snee is definitely up there, but he's not as good as Andrews.

RaiderNation
06-24-2007, 02:25 AM
why arnt the raiders on that list? :D

Sniper
06-24-2007, 02:37 AM
why arnt the raiders on that list? :D

Because they're in the AFC ;)

BlindSite
06-24-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm comfortable with our ranking. Two starters confirmed and a third spot being contested by 4 guys.

iloxygenil
06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
2/3 Pro Bowl caliber OL in those position and one rookie who looks like an absolute monster in there already...you can rank us down that low, but we'll be in the top 3 by end of the season.

Acreboy
06-24-2007, 05:57 PM
The Eagles are too low, they are certainly superior to the 49ers and Saints. The Eagles and Giants are pretty much even.The Saints line is continuously underrated.

Moses
06-24-2007, 06:04 PM
The Saints line is continuously underrated.

I think they might actually be a bit overrated at this point. They're a solid unit but they look good because of all the skill position players on that offence. It's not hard to look good run blocking when either McAllister or Bush is running the football. It's also not hard to look good in pass protection when Brees is throwing the football and it's being caught by all of their weapons.

draftguru151
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
The Saints have a very good OG, a good center and an above average OG, the Eagles have arguably the best OG in football, a good center and a good OG. I don't see how you can say the Eagles interior isn't better than the Saints.

Acreboy
06-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I think they might actually be a bit overrated at this point. They're a solid unit but they look good because of all the skill position players on that offence. It's not hard to look good run blocking when either McAllister or Bush is running the football. It's also not hard to look good in pass protection when Brees is throwing the football and it's being caught by all of their weapons.

They only gave up 26 sacks this year.

Last year they gave up 41. That's a vast improvement wouldn't you say?

The only remaining starter on the line was Brown.

Auron
06-24-2007, 07:36 PM
I think you bring up some solid points. Brees masks a lot of the O-line's weakness with his quick release, decision making, and keen pocket presence. However when you have a unit that gives up only 18 sacks through 15 games, that's pretty darn good regardless. (the last game of the season we played entirely our 2nd string)

Although overall they need to improve as a run blocking unit, before we can become an elite rushing team. Only averaging a pedestrian 3.7 yards per rush as a team last season. Some of that is skewed by Reggie Bush's growing pains as a runner and negative plays.

Interior wise yes the Eagles are better hard to argue that. (I think Philly's interior line is the 3rd, possibly 2nd best in the Conference) Otherwise the ranking is pretty fair. Also watch out for Jahri Evans, he was a monster mauler at RG this year as a Rookie. He also has great athleticism kicking out and pulling to the outside, the coaches love him. I think in a few years he has All-Pro potential.

umphrey
06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately that is pretty accurate for the packers last year, but it should improve seeing as last year every starter at those positions was a 1st year player. Plus olines need to "gel" and we know who's starting unlike other teams higher than us on the list and they are growing together.

ChiFan24
06-25-2007, 12:22 AM
This is how it should look

1. Eagles
2. Bears
3. 49ers
4. Vikings
5. Cowboys
6. Giants
7. Saints
8. Panthers
9. Buccaneers
10. Falcons
11. Redskins
12. Lions
13. Rams
14. Packers
15. Cardinals
16. Seahawks

XxXdragonXxX
06-25-2007, 01:08 AM
I can understand the Seahawks being so low, simply because it's very likely that all 3 starters haven't played a full 16 games at the same position. Spencer played guard and center last year, Sims was a rookie, spent half the season on the bench, and the rest playing both RG and LG, and I really don't think Gray will start this season....probably Ray Willis who has never started a game, and is making a move from tackle to guard. But Floyd Womack who has been a utility backup his whole career and rookie Mansfield Wrotto are also in the mix....

Personally I think they will play well. Spencer was alot better at center than guard, he should benefit from getting all the snaps at center in training camp. Sims showed alot of promise in his limited time. Ray Willis is supposedly looking really good in mini camps so far....we'll see what goes down there.

It's really hard to tell how the line has been effected by the loss of Hutchinson, since Jones was the ony guy that played the whole season last year...and even he was playing with a few different injuries all season.

BlindSite
06-25-2007, 04:20 AM
2/3 Pro Bowl caliber OL in those position and one rookie who looks like an absolute monster in there already...you can rank us down that low, but we'll be in the top 3 by end of the season.

I highly doubt that.

iloxygenil
06-25-2007, 10:11 AM
You can doubt all you want...but McClure is one of the best C in the game, he's just unnoticed largely, because that's kinda what happens to OL when the whole unit isn't up to par. Forney was a Pro Bowl snub a couple of years back, and last year his injuries are what got to him. This year he's had plenty of time to recover and come back and should be in a better scheme fit for him with Petrino's style. Blalock may end up being the best OL in this draft, I like Joe Staley too, but Blalock has the smarts, and physical prowess to just dominate defenders. He hasn't given up a sack in like 30 or 40+ games, I forget the stat...that's just vastly overlooked. Not to mention he was blocking for a mobile QB in Vince Young, which makes me think his transition to blocking for Vick should be a little easier than most. Maybe I'm too optimistic but if Blalock pans out, that's a super solid middle of the line. RT is fair for us, but LT is still a need...

BlindSite
06-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Your pass protection is horrible and has been for a while, reason being not just the ineptitude of the outside guys but the inability of McClure to call adequate protection assignments.