PDA

View Full Version : Success in NFLE...What does it mean?

MasterShake
06-23-2007, 05:53 PM
This is for all players/positions, but I have one guy in mind being a 49er fan...

Marcus Maxwell, 6'4" 215lb reciever we drafted in the 7th round 2 years ago who has speed and has shown some ability.

He went to NFLE this year and tore it up, but many have done this before.

Here was his season:

27 receptions (9th)
459 yards (5th)
7 TDs (1st)
17.0 YPC (1st)

He followed it up with a Huge World Bowl today: 5 catches for 127 yards and 2 TDs.

So whats does NFLE success mean in the context of playing in the NFL? Does it mean more for one position over another? Discuss.

Moses
06-23-2007, 05:59 PM
It is what it is. It's a good stepping stone for a lot of players to make NFL rosters. That said, most guys playing in NFLE would have a tough time cracking an NFL roster so it's not like many guys come over and start dominating the league. Some will find spots on teams after impressive NFLE performances, others won't.

Philliez01
06-23-2007, 06:18 PM
It's pretty much the closest thing to the Minor Leagues of Football so you have to take that in account. Like in baseball, unless you are highly touted (but raw), these guys most likely our destined to be NFLE stars. JT O'Sullivan looks like Tom Brady at times in NFLE but his skillset is so limited that he'll be lucky to be the Bears #4, let alone #2 or #3 QB on their roster. There's a reason why some of these guys are there. It's either:

1)-Insanely Raw, Development Guys
2)-Average backups who get their PT there (just to see what they have)
3)-UDFAs

Maxwell may have a shot at the roster though. Depth at WR isn't exactly thick with SF as the #4 WR is up for grabs between Jason Hill, Brandon Williams, Maxwell, Gilmore and Jacobs.

M.O.T.H.
06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
It's all about Derrick Ross...could greatly benefit from a Larry Johnson hold out.

zoinks
06-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Watching NFLE, I often find myself wondering how on earth some of these guys can't land on a roster in the NFL.

That said, I don't put a whole lot of stock in NFLE success.

These guys may look fantastic against B- and C-grade players, but they're often overwhelmed against the big boys.

A couple years ago, the top two RB's in NFLE were both allocated by the Titans....Jarrett Payton and Joe Smith. Both players ran all over opponents, and ended up leading their teams to the championship game. Joe Smith was particularly impressive...a very hard-nosed runner a la Travis Henry.

Three months later, Joe Smith was out of football altogether, and Jarrett Payton was the #3 RB on the Titans' depth chart. He wasn't terrible, but against big league competition, he was "just a guy".

BlindSite
06-23-2007, 06:44 PM
They're still second tier competition at the end of the day, he might be able to make the squad because the receivers in SF aren't all that special, but he's a long shot, to do anything in the NFL.

GB12
06-23-2007, 07:04 PM
It's not a common thing, but there have been some good players that came out of NFL Europe. Off the top of my head Jake Delhomme, Marco Rivera, La'roi Glover, and Adam Vinitieri all had success in Europe.

Go_Eagles77
06-23-2007, 07:44 PM
What team is James Petrowski (sp?) from? He seems like he could be a solid no. 2 TE in the NFL, he dominated.

kmartin575
06-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Brian Waters and Dante Hall are both pro bowlers and both came out of NFL Europe.

M.O.T.H.
06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
What team is James Petrowski (sp?) from? He seems like he could be a solid no. 2 TE in the NFL, he dominated.

Last time I heard his name, he was on the Titans practice squad...so, i'd say Titans... not 100% sure.

The Unseen
06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
It's pretty much the closest thing to the Minor Leagues of Football so you have to take that in account. Like in baseball, unless you are highly touted (but raw), these guys most likely our destined to be NFLE stars. JT O'Sullivan looks like Tom Brady at times in NFLE but his skillset is so limited that he'll be lucky to be the Bears #4, let alone #2 or #3 QB on their roster. There's a reason why some of these guys are there. It's either:

1)-Insanely Raw, Development Guys
2)-Average backups who get their PT there (just to see what they have)
3)-UDFAs

Maxwell may have a shot at the roster though. Depth at WR isn't exactly thick with SF as the #4 WR is up for grabs between Jason Hill, Brandon Williams, Maxwell, Gilmore and Jacobs.

The difference between the Minors and NFLE is that all players go through the Minors, but only "scrub"/bottom-feeder players are sent to NFLE.

Raiderz4Life
06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Maxwell did have a good day today..but Frankfurts defense was terrible all day.

GREENSMACKS
06-24-2007, 04:10 AM
basically what it means is that the guy will be beat up, tried, and not know the playbook and be cut

Caddy
06-24-2007, 05:01 AM
basically what it means is that the guy will be beat up, tried, and not know the playbook and be cut

Thats slightly cynical, and after reading about how many great players have come from the NFLE and been successful.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-24-2007, 09:08 AM
It means your the most talented guy who will be on the bench or assigned to a practice squad this season!! :)

High Roller
06-24-2007, 10:33 AM
It may mean a roster spot. He's still young and needs to be coached.

Staubach12
06-24-2007, 12:13 PM
It meens little more than nothing to me. It's no more than a scouting tool to see how players do in game-type situations. If someone dominates, I don't think it meens any more than he belongs on an NFL roster.

skinzzfan25
06-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm glad we got Bramlet :)

He REALLY played well. I think 20 for 27 ~400 yards and 4 TDs.

I also remember reading somewhere that when he was on the Bengals, Palmer said that he was the most reliable backup ever. Which is what we need. Not noodle arm Brunell.

HoopsDemon12
06-24-2007, 01:45 PM
NFLE churns out quality offensive lineman constantly

Space Ghost
06-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Success in NFLE is like when I play basketball against 9 years olds that I baby sit, it doesn't mean much, unless that 9 year old is 6'4 or something...

CC.SD
06-24-2007, 02:07 PM
It is weird that a guy who is 6'4, 215, with speed and hands is a serious question mark to make any roster. It was a great performance in the World Bowl, too.

kmartin575
06-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Will Svitek was one of the best offensive lineman ever in NFL Europe and he could be the future at one of the tackle spots for the Chiefs. He would have contributed more last year and did get in several times at left tackle but he NFLE season probably was just too much for him because he could not finish the regular season healthy.

Raiderz4Life
06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
peple, Bramlett and Maxwell had great days yes kudos to them.....but consider they played a frankfurt defense that played as good as my cousin's pop warner team