PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Vasher signed to a 5 year Extension.

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/New...?story_id=3550 (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3550)

I posted this in the Bears discussion, but might as well post it here.

Adam Schefter is reporting that the deal is worth 28 million with a 14 million dollar signing bonus.

There are also reports that the Bears are now in discussion for a contract extension w/ Peanut Tillman.

bearfan
06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
thank the lord. Him and Tillman for 5+ years would be awesome

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-25-2007, 05:32 PM
WOW.

As a Bears fan I thought for sure he was walking.

Great sign!

GermanSaint
06-25-2007, 05:38 PM
no ... i wanted the saints to sign peanut

Green Bay Scat
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
i love Vasher, hes the man

PACKmanN
06-25-2007, 05:48 PM
so what happens to that other cb that you guys got from FA last offseason?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
so what happens to that other cb that you guys got from FA last offseason?

Ricky Manning Jr?

He plays nickel.

Nitschke-Hawk
06-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Tillman's contract better be at least as much as Vasher's. So many people think Vasher is better but he's a bit undersized and doesn't cover the number 1 receiver every week like Tillman. Vasher's ball skills go well with Tillman's style, it's kind of similar to Woodson and Harris in Green Bay, the number 2 guy is the better play maker and the number 1 is better in coverage right now.

ChiFan24
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Tillman's contract better be at least as much as Vasher's. So many people think Vasher is better but he's a bit undersized and doesn't cover the number 1 receiver every week like Tillman. Vasher's ball skills go well with Tillman's style, it's kind of similar to Woodson and Harris in Green Bay, the number 2 guy is the better play maker and the number 1 is better in coverage right now.

See, people assume that since Vasher makes a lot of interceptions, he's not a good cover corner. But that's not true. Tillman is a very nice player, and probably played a little better than Nathan last year, but overall, Vasher is the better corner. Not quite as physical as Peanut (though he's not afraid of contact), but his technique, and the way he positions himself on balls thrown in his direction, is just outstanding. He's faster, quicker, and obviously, he forces more turnovers. The only technical mistake I've ever seen Vasher make was when he whiffed attempting to jam Chad Johnson in 2005, though the Bears were already being dominated, thanks to Kyle Orton.

And when Tillman covers the number one receiver, it's usually by the opposing team's choice. He's responsible for the left side, I believe. Read up on the Steve Smith disaster in the '06 playoffs for proof.

ElectricEye
06-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Good signing. Pretty cheap too, considering what he could fetch on the open market. Big signing bonus though.

princefielder28
06-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Wow, the Bears actually paid someone!

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Vasher always covers the smaller/faster receivers, and Tillman covers the big/physical receivers. It used to be where Vasher always had the right side and Tillman the left side, but after that playoff debacle in 2006, the organization changed that.

Also, the reason why Vasher didn't have "probowl" numbers last season was because teams stopped trying to throw it to his side as much.

Tillman and Vasher are both very good corners, and I wouldn't say either one is better then the other. They are both very good for what their duties are.

bearsfan_51
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Tillman is better than Vasher IMO. Glad to see us resigning one of our own on the same day they boot Tank's unappreciative ass to the door.

Bearsfan123
06-25-2007, 10:56 PM
my only problem with Vasher is his run support isnt even near Tillmans level. Tillman strips like a lber while Vasher really doesnt seem all that good at it.

TitleTown088
06-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Wow, the Bears actually paid someone!

yeah, dem Packers are always the first to pay up...

SFbear
06-25-2007, 11:39 PM
See, people assume that since Vasher makes a lot of interceptions, he's not a good cover corner. But that's not true. Tillman is a very nice player, and probably played a little better than Nathan last year, but overall, Vasher is the better corner. Not quite as physical as Peanut (though he's not afraid of contact)

He's definitely not afraid of contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2U1G1Tgk5Q

I agree that people underrate Vasher's skills mostly because he got overhyped his Probowl year and there was a backlash. Hes been improving every year and looked great in the playoffs. Still I think Tillman is the better of the two as far as impact on the team.

sweetness34
06-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Tillman is inconsistent, that's my problem with him.

TitleTown088
06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
I bet this made ol' Lance just ecstatic.

Nitschke-Hawk
06-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Tillman is definitely the better all around player. It's just that he doesn't wow people like Vasher can. Vasher is a really good number two/complementary corner, but people are messed up in the head if they think Vasher can just be stuck on any team as the number one corner and produce like one. Obviously, it's better for Vasher to cover the smaller faster guys, however most (about 90%) of the best receivers are are closer in comparison to Tillman's size and match up better with him. Basically, it's a good signing, as long as they re-sign Tillman, because you can argue he's a top 10 corner (and people get caught up in the Steve Smith game so much), but Vasher definitely isn't. As a cornerback if you can only cover smaller faster receivers well, then you aren't an elite corner.

ChiFan24
06-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Tillman is definitely the better all around player. It's just that he doesn't wow people like Vasher can. Vasher is a really good number two/complementary corner, but people are messed up in the head if they think Vasher can just be stuck on any team as the number one corner and produce like one. Obviously, it's better for Vasher to cover the smaller faster guys, however most (about 90%) of the best receivers are are closer in comparison to Tillman's size and match up better with him. Basically, it's a good signing, as long as they re-sign Tillman, because you can argue he's a top 10 corner (and people get caught up in the Steve Smith game so much), but Vasher definitely isn't. As a cornerback if you can only cover smaller faster receivers well, then you aren't an elite corner.

You're pulling these assumptions out of no where. It's Tillman who has trouble with the smaller faster guys, not Vasher with the bigger guys. Tillman excels against guys like Randy Moss and Plaxico Burress because he matches their physicality. He looked pretty awful against Steve Smith though. Vasher on the other hand is extremely good no matter who he covers.