PDA

View Full Version : Picks your team traded away that turned out to be great

BlindSite
06-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Who elses team has traded away draft picks, that were used to draft players who have become very good or great players.

I can't remember the year, but the panthers traded away two picks that were used on Randy Moss and Champ Bailey.

diabsoule
06-26-2007, 12:42 AM
All the picks the Saints traded away to get Ricky Williams.

reese
06-26-2007, 12:43 AM

that was crazy

YAYareaRB
06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Our trade down for that bloody Rashaun Woods..

SuperMcGee
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
We traded what would be Fred Taylor for Rob Johnson

Flyboy
06-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Did you have to? I mean.. really? Dick. :(

PACKmanN
06-26-2007, 01:19 AM
every Mike Sherman draft pretty much sums it up. Traded up to draft a punter in the 3rd round.

Hawk
06-26-2007, 01:41 AM
The Falcons made a good trade back when, and we got a guy named Favre. Ever heard of him?

Ewing
06-26-2007, 01:42 AM
I wonder what Giants fans are going to say...

06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
every Mike Sherman draft pretty much sums it up. Traded up to draft a punter in the 3rd round.

You left out that he is no longer with the team.

duckseason
06-26-2007, 04:08 AM
The Falcons made a good trade back when, and we got a guy named Favre. Ever heard of him?

The funny part is that the Falcons probably thought they were pulling off a heist by trading a 2nd round QB flop with injury and character concerns for a mid 1st rounder. And who was it that the Falcons ended up selecting with that premium pick? None other than Favre's former Southern Miss teammate- RB Tony Smith.

Perfect example of the disparity in parity between the actual playing field and the front offices of various NFL teams. Ron Wolf knew he had a checkmate before the Falcons even pulled their Queen out of the box. At the time though, it appeared as though he was making a bad decision. Something to always keep in mind when we evaluate some of these seemingly crazy moves teams make nowadays.

I think Vikings fans might have a little something to say on this subject as well......

kmartin575
06-26-2007, 04:53 AM
When the Chiefs traded down to #27 in the 2003 draft the Steelers took Troy Polamalu with the Chiefs' original pick in the 1st round.

However, we got Larry Johnson with the #27 pick so I am more than happy with him.

d34ng3l021
06-26-2007, 04:58 AM
The funny part is that the Falcons probably thought they were pulling off a heist by trading a 2nd round QB flop with injury and character concerns for a mid 1st rounder. And who was it that the Falcons ended up selecting with that premium pick? None other than Favre's former Southern Miss teammate- RB Tony Smith.

Perfect example of the disparity in parity between the actual playing field and the front offices of various NFL teams. Ron Wolf knew he had a checkmate before the Falcons even pulled their Queen out of the box. At the time though, it appeared as though he was making a bad decision. Something to always keep in mind when we evaluate some of these seemingly crazy moves teams make nowadays.

I think Vikings fans might have a little something to say on this subject as well......

If he stayed in Atlanta, I dont think he could have succeeded. The environment wasnt right for him.

So we had this 5th overall pick in some 2001 draft. We traded it away luckily. Had we kept it, we woulda gotten some dud called Ladainian Tomlinson.

Sniper
06-26-2007, 05:35 AM
If he stayed in Atlanta, I dont think he could have succeeded. The environment wasnt right for him.

So we had this 5th overall pick in some 2001 draft. We traded it away luckily. Had we kept it, we woulda gotten some dud called Ladainian Tomlinson.

Man that would have sucked if you woulda got that guy. He's pretty bad. Ahhhh the Eagles...Studs like Jerome McDougle come to mind, as well as Kevin Kolb (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) Instead of McDougle, the following players were available: Troy Polamalu, Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Nnamdi Asomugha among others. Mike Mamula is another that comes to mind. I'm sure there's plenty more but I'm drawing blanks right now.

Modano
06-26-2007, 05:54 AM
With the horrible move the Cowboys made for Joey Galloway, the Seahawks ended up with Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson. Luckily, Robinson had only one very good year (his 2nd) and then a ton of issues.
But while Alexander became a very good RB, the Cowboys had to start Troy Hambrick as their replacement for Emmitt.

ricky bobby
06-26-2007, 07:36 AM
To the naked eye, it may seem as though the Giants made a mistake in trading picks away for Eli Manning. But, since he will be a Hall of Famer / World Icon, it'll all be worth it in the end. :)

eacantdraft
06-26-2007, 07:39 AM

Favre was a flop in Atlanta? He only played there his rookie season and attempted a whopping 4 passes. I would not call that a flop.

Atlanta also had Chris Miller then and he was descent before getting all the concussions.

eacantdraft
06-26-2007, 07:41 AM
I wonder what Giants fans are going to say...

Don't remind us about that infamous day where we traded a QB who turns out to be about on the same level as the one we traded for, plus we gave up the pick that produced Shawn Merriman. Plus San Diego got a good kicker with the other draft pick we gave them.

ricky bobby
06-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't remind us about that infamous day where we traded a QB who turns out to be about on the same level as the one we traded for, plus we gave up the pick that produced Shawn Merriman. Plus San Diego got a good kicker with the other draft pick we gave them.
You're a pessimist.

eacantdraft
06-26-2007, 07:53 AM
You're a pessimist.

I'm a realist.

ricky bobby
06-26-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm a realist.
Oh and i'm not?
To the naked eye, it may seem as though the Giants made a mistake in trading picks away for Eli Manning. But, since he will be a Hall of Famer / World Icon, it'll all be worth it in the end. :)

Splat
06-26-2007, 08:24 AM
The Chiefs trading up with Dallas to take Ryan Sims then Dallas taking Roy Williams is pretty bad.

bsaza2358
06-26-2007, 08:30 AM
I think the Vikings have to regret what the Cowboys did to them with that Herschel Walker trade. The deal:

Minnesota Vikings

RB Herschel Walker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68)
Dallas Cowboys

LB Jesse Solomon (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jesse_Solomon&action=edit)
LB David Howard (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=David_Howard&action=edit)
CB Isaac Holt (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Isaac_Holt&action=edit)
RB Darrin Nelson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrin_Nelson)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (21)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (40)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71)Those picks ended up becoming Emmit Smith, Russel Maryland, and Darren Woodson, plus a number of role players who helped vault the Cowboys into a dynasty.

Splat
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I think the Vikings have to regret what the Cowboys did to them with that Herschel Walker trade. The deal:

Minnesota Vikings
RB Herschel Walker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68)Dallas Cowboys

LB Jesse Solomon (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jesse_Solomon&action=edit)
LB David Howard (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=David_Howard&action=edit)
CB Isaac Holt (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Isaac_Holt&action=edit)
RB Darrin Nelson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrin_Nelson)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (21)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (40)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71)Those picks ended up becoming Emmit Smith, Russel Maryland, and Darren Woodson, plus a number of role players who helped vault the Cowboys into a dynasty.

There were never be another trade like that ever some Chiefs fans thought we could get a deal like that for LJ I say **** to those fans you make the rest of us look bad.

Smooth Criminal
06-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Steelers traded up with the Cheifs which gave them Larry Johnson. But at the same time we got Polamalu who has been great for us aswell so I'm not complaining.

bsaza2358
06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
There were never be another trade like that ever some Chiefs fans thought we could get a deal like that for LJ I say **** to those fans you make the rest of us look bad.

Well, with the salary cap as it is, draft picks have become so valuable that it would just never happen. I think LJ could be moved for 2 1st rounders and a conditional future 2nd. That would be a huge, huge deal.

eacantdraft
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Steelers traded up with the Cheifs which gave them Larry Johnson. But at the same time we got Polamalu who has been great for us aswell so I'm not complaining.

Larry Johnson would have been a terrible pick for the Steelers back then. They didn't need a RB. You got a top 3 safety instead. Both teams got what they needed.

Splat
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Well, with the salary cap as it is, draft picks have become so valuable that it would just never happen. I think LJ could be moved for 2 1st rounders and a conditional future 2nd. That would be a huge, huge deal.

I don't think we could get two first round picks and I'm a huge LJ and Chiefs fan not at his age 27 and the huge huge money he wants giving up that many picks and that kinda money is to much for one player.

bored of education
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
KC won't get more than 2 1st day picks at this point.

CC.SD
06-26-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm a realist.

Not if you think Eli and Rivers are on "the same level."

Shouldn't feel as bad as Falcons fans though: they got a dogfight ringleader instead of the greatest RB in the game, and possibly of all time.

Smooth Criminal
06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Larry Johnson would have been a terrible pick for the Steelers back then. They didn't need a RB. You got a top 3 safety instead. Both teams got what they needed.

O I know. But this thread is about great players you missed and well the best I could think of was Larry Johnson.

Acreboy
06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
The skinz never got anyone good. They still were horrible so that wouldn't count.

MasterShake
06-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Dennis Erickson and Terry Donahue (sp?) had a gem of a first round in 2004.

Traded pick 16 to the Eagles - Shawn Andrews OG

Traded Pick 28 to the Panthers - Chris Gamble CB

Used Pick 31 on - Rashaun Woods....oye

BamaFalcon59
06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Atlanta Falcons looking like they have a good future so they trade a future first round pick for a current 2nd round pick. They are horrible the next year and end up with the 5th worst record. The pick turned into 2,000 yard back Jamal Lewis.

Shiver
06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Dennis Erickson and Terry Donahue (sp?) had a gem of a first round in 2004.

Traded pick 16 to the Eagles - Shawn Andrews OG

Traded Pick 28 to the Panthers - Chris Gamble CB

Used Pick 31 on - Rashaun Woods....oye

Yikes.. No wonder they fell into the Football abyss for a little while.

draftguru151
06-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Can't really blame them, Woods was predicted to go in the range of their first pick. I love his scouting report.

Few, if any flaws in his game.

Shiver
06-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I will admit I loved Rashaun Woods coming out. Fortunately I wasn't alone, a lot of people got that one wrong.

Flyboy
06-26-2007, 02:37 PM
I will admit I loved Rashaun Woods coming out. Fortunately I wasn't alone, a lot of people got that one wrong.

Yep, I was a big fan of his as well.

stl9erfan
06-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the 49ers also gave up the pick eventually used to select Ray Lewis when they traded up to grab J.J. Stokes. Long story short, not a great recent history for the Niners making trades for WR in the first round.

duckseason
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Favre was a flop in Atlanta? He only played there his rookie season and attempted a whopping 4 passes. I would not call that a flop.

Atlanta also had Chris Miller then and he was descent before getting all the concussions.

You think I don't know that? If you'd actually comprehended what I wrote, you'd understand that I was making fun of what the Falcons likely thought about the trade at the time. I didn't say he was a flop. I said the Falcons likely thought they were washing their hands of an injury prone QB with character concerns. The fact that they traded him after just one season shows what they thought of his chances to be a solid QB in the NFL. From what I've read, Glanville is mostly to blame. Sounds like he rejected Favre from day one.

d34ng3l021
06-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Not if you think Eli and Rivers are on "the same level."

Shouldn't feel as bad as Falcons fans though: they got a dogfight ringleader instead of the greatest RB in the game, and possibly of all time.

You are just pissed you dont have a dogfight ringleader.

Hines
06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
it wasnt much of a trade but i think we chose troy edwards instead of (and dont quote me on this) chad pennington

every steeler was mad at that one

mikedoobie
06-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Ravens traded into first to get Boller and missed out on Wilfork the next year

Shiver
06-26-2007, 05:20 PM

You overestimate the football acumen of Dan Reeves. He said in a radio interview that he was never going to take LaDainian Tomlinson. Had the Falcons not traded for Michael Vick, hello Kenyatta Walker! Even the most staunch Vick critic has to admit that he is a better player than Walker is.

Compounding the problem, when the Falcons really did need a RB Reeves took TJ Duckett over Ed Reed!

Flyboy
06-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Compounding the problem, when the Falcons really did need a RB Reeves took TJ Duckett over Ed Reed!

BPA always beats out needs to moi.

Shiver
06-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I liked Dan Reeves as a coach, but his drafts were usually lousy. '99 had two solid players. The only one I liked was '01, because the three best offensive starters are Michael Vick, Alge Crumpler and Kynan Forney.

America
06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Ravens traded into first to get Boller and missed out on Wilfork the next year

yeah that pissed me off big time.

Ewing
06-26-2007, 08:54 PM

Sorry, I'll the take the quarterback, linebacker, and kicker who have made the Pro Bowl over the overhyped quarterback because of his gene pool.

Sniper
06-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Sorry, I'll the take the quarterback, linebacker, and kicker who have made the Pro Bowl over the overhyped quarterback because of his gene pool.

Haven't all 3 Chargers made it to a Pro Bowl already?

ncstateviking
06-27-2007, 12:24 AM
if you think eli manning is on philip rivers level your kidding yourself. rivers will be looked at as the best QB of the 3 that year. and honestly...you would be dumb to trade the 3 probowlers for PEYTON, none the less that families sloppy seconds.

YAYareaRB
06-27-2007, 12:42 AM
The Pick we wasted on Kwame Harris..

Smooth Criminal
06-27-2007, 08:58 AM
it wasnt much of a trade but i think we chose troy edwards instead of (and dont quote me on this) chad pennington

every steeler was mad at that one

I think that is truye.

06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
The Pick we wasted on Kwame Harris..

Thank god for Staley?

bearfan
06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
2003, traded from #4 to #22 from Jets. Players we could have had:
Terence Newmann, Terell Suggs, Kevin Williams (just in top 10). But I am fine w/ Grossman, he has done decent in the 1 season he has had.

06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Terence Newmann, Terell Suggs, Kevin Williams (just in top 10). But I am fine w/ Grossman, he has done decent in the 1 season he has had.

Noble of you to stand by your starter.

DeathbyStat
06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
O I know. But this thread is about great players you missed and well the best I could think of was Larry Johnson.

I don't think LJ would have handled sitting behind Bettis, he barely survived sitting behind a superior player at the time in Priest Holmes. Most likely Cowher would have played Bettis ahead of a rookie

Ward
06-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Can't really blame them, Woods was predicted to go in the range of their first pick. I love his scouting report.

One of the greatest scouting reports of all time!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/rashaun_woods

Positives: Has a well-defined body with solid lower body and calf development and room in his upper body to add additional bulk … Has good quickness in and out of his breaks, showing sudden movements to get open and gain yardage after the catch … Gets off the line of scrimmage and into his routes immediately … Runs outstanding pass routes, showing crispness and explosive stop-and-go agility … Reads coverages well, making proper adjustments on the run … Can turn a short catch into a big play with his speed … Has strong hands and the ability to catch away from the body's frame … Remains focused and has great toughness catching in a crowd (will take the hit and hold on) … His speed and hip swerve allows him to elude defenders after the catch … Has excellent leg drive and strength to break arm tackles and drag defenders for extra yardage … Willing blocker who will not back down from a fight, getting good position and hand placement on the defender … Role model-type who can handle pressure … Has the separation speed to defeat most defensive backs in the deep zone … Relishes his role as the go-to receiver and has proven to be the difference-maker with the game on the line.

Negatives: Few, if any flaws in his game, but could do a better job of tracking the ball in over his shoulder on deep routes (has misjudged these passes on more than one occasion).

You'd have thought the guy was going to be the next Jerry Rice.

BufFan71
06-30-2007, 09:00 AM
im pretty sure the 1st rounder we traded to Dallas for a 1st (we used on losman) they used our 1st the next year on DeMarcus Ware....

BamaFalcon59
06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
How did he go 31 with that kind of scouting report and production?? I did not follow the draft back then.

SuperMcGee
06-30-2007, 01:01 PM
im pretty sure the 1st rounder we traded to Dallas for a 1st (we used on losman) they used our 1st the next year on DeMarcus Ware....

I thought it was Spears, but I'm not sure which it was.

BufFan71
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
How did he go 31 with that kind of scouting report and production?? I did not follow the draft back then.

idk from that scouting report he seemes amazing.........
ehh guess whoever wrote that mustve been wasted

CC.SD
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
idk from that scouting report he seemes amazing.........
ehh guess whoever wrote that mustve been wasted

He was pretty awesome in college; he caught 7 TDs in one game.

Any 49er fan, and a few Charger fans, will know that Woods had a high ceiling, but injuries, lack of work ethic (he wanted to be a professional bass fisherman more than play football. Not a joke.), and a coaching regime change prevented him from ever seeing the field.

BlindSite
06-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah its no big shock, players get given a butt load of money, get injured still have financial security and say "eh" why bust my balls I've been paid, then a new coach comes in and when they want to play the coach says "gtfo n00b"

DMWSackMachine
07-05-2007, 05:28 PM
If my memory serves correctly, Dallas owned the pick that was eventually used to draft Joe Montana. That's pretty bad ass.....until you realize that we traded it away in the package that brought us Tony Dorsett. Can't really complain too much about that.

49erfanatic
07-05-2007, 08:28 PM

I didn't know Lovie Smith posted on this site

CC.SD
07-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I didn't know Lovie Smith posted on this site

ooh sick burn!

JT Jag
07-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Terence Newmann, Terell Suggs, Kevin Williams (just in top 10). But I am fine w/ Grossman, he has done decent in the 1 season he has had.I didn't know Lovie Smith posted on this siteooh sick burn!Nah, man... Lovie wouldn't have said "decent". He would have said that Grossman did "very well" in relatively limited time. That can't be Lovie.

umphrey
07-06-2007, 01:42 AM
dunno if anyone mentioned it but the packers traded away the pick that was used on hutchinson one year

also we took ferguson over chambers who (i think) was rated higher at the time and played college ball in wisconsin

VY10
07-06-2007, 01:43 AM
In '05 the Texans traded down from their 13th pick to the Saints' 16th. We took Travis Johnson who is nothing but a fat waste.... Derrick Johnson went 15th.

draftguru151
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
In '05 the Texans traded down from their 13th pick to the Saints' 16th. We took Travis Johnson who is nothing but a fat waste.... Derrick Johnson went 15th.

And the Saints got one of the best young LTs in the league. That's pretty funny.

BuckNaked
07-06-2007, 09:41 AM

You wouldn't have taken Kevin Williams at 4, he was considered a reach whre Minnesota took him and fans were outraged . . . . well mostly because we missed our pick.