PDA

View Full Version : Colt Brennan: real deal or system qb?

chcwarriorpoet
06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Scott had him as a first rounder when he looked like he was going to be in the draft. I heard that some teams around the league view him as a system QB, but with better pro potential then Timmy Chang. From what I've seen his arm strength is good, has a quick release, and is very mobile. Maybe its just lesser competition and the numbers from the run in shoot. Thoughts?

HoopsDemon12
06-26-2007, 12:48 PM
He is a good prospect... he is the best qb for pro potential to ever play and U of H.... chang may have the records... but brennan will stay in the US.... chang is fighting for the starting job with the hamilton tigercats as we speak

YAYareaRB
06-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I kinda give him a Steve Young comparison. Steve Young came from the wide open passing system in BYU but still turned out to be a hall of fame QB. Both are mobile. Being in Hawaii's system really gives people scares on picking him but I have a good feeling about him. He also reminds me of Marc Bulgar for some reason.

YAYareaRB
06-26-2007, 12:50 PM
He is a good prospect... he is the best qb for pro potential to ever play and U of H.... chang may have the records... but brennan will stay in the US.... chang is fighting for the starting job with the hamilton tigercats as we speak

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Chang's ideal decision to go to CFL.. If you ain't cut for the NFL I guess it was his only option to make some real money.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Alot of people compare him to Chang but most of these people have never actually taken time to watch him play.They merely look at the stats.

Moses
06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Chang's ideal decision to go to CFL.. If you ain't cut for the NFL I guess it was his only option to make some real money.

There isn't much money in the CFL. A lot of guys have jobs during the off-season to pay the bills.

HoopsDemon12
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM

well no americans plan is to play in the cfl i think but like moses said... the money aint great out here...

YAYareaRB
06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
well no americans plan is to play in the cfl i think but like moses said... the money aint great out here...

Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but you made it sound like Timmy Chang said: "**** the NFL!" when you posted Colt will stay in America.

HoopsDemon12
06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but you made it sound like Timmy Chang said: "**** the NFL!" when you posted Colt will stay in America.

ya i can see how you would get that... i could have made it a lot more clear my bad

chcwarriorpoet
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Another positive Brennan has is being close with Matt Leinart. He was Leinart's backup early in high school, and Leinart has been a big brother to him ever since.

Another negative for Brennan is the run in with the law which he was cleared of the worst charges but found guilty in lesser ones. That's what led him from Colorado to juco to Hawaii.

D-Unit
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Coach June Junes has said Colt will be taking a lot of snaps under center this upcoming season to prepare him better for the NFL. Colt's also been on a strict weight gain regiment and wants to put on 10-15 pounds. As far as pro potential, he's got everything you want in a QB.

YAYareaRB
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Another positive Brennan has is being close with Matt Leinart. He was Leinart's backup early in high school, and Leinart has been a big brother to him ever since.

Another negative for Brennan is the run in with the law which he was cleared of the worst charges but found guilty in lesser ones. That's what led him from Colorado to juco to Hawaii.

Hey, nobody's perfect but, he's a hell of a ball player. Although him and Leinart are close friends, they are totally different types of QBs..

Staubach12
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I love Brennan. He's very mobile, yet he knows how to pass very well, too. His arm strength is very good as is his accuracy. His reads are good, though that may be an adjustment when he gets to the NFL, but I don't see that being a big problem. The system QB thing is crap. The system has it's biggest impact on his stats. However, on a play-by-play basis, he's a hell of a QB. I could see him going as high as the top-10 with another big year, though it'll be hard to replicate the success of this past year. So, realistically, he's top-25.

M.O.T.H.
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Coach June Junes has said Colt will be taking a lot of snaps under center this upcoming season to prepare him better for the NFL. Colt's also been on a strict weight gain regiment and wants to put on 10-15 pounds.

I like the sound of that...nice to see Jones modifying his game a bit to help Colt's future. As for weight gain...he needs a solid 20, imo. Def. possible from here until the combine...

Green Bay Scat
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
well last year, colt said he was about 210, so i bet he can get to 225. Besides, i view a throwin motion like a batting stance in baseball, dont mess with what got you there.

M.O.T.H.
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
well last year, colt said he was about 210, so i bet he can get to 225. Besides, i view a throwin motion like a batting stance in baseball, dont mess with what got you there.

210...no way...he probably wasnt even 200.

Green Bay Scat
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
210...no way...he probably wasnt even 200.

well he was when he came to Saddleback to say hi, but i bet that didnt last long durin the season, everyone loses weight, but at the beginin, yes he was 210....of course this was like May or somethin, i forget, but before the season

-black
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Coach June Junes has said Colt will be taking a lot of snaps under center this upcoming season to prepare him better for the NFL. Colt's also been on a strict weight gain regiment and wants to put on 10-15 pounds. As far as pro potential, he's got everything you want in a QB.

didnt u just say he was a system QB a few days ago?

or were you being sarcastic

simms2clayton
06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Brennan is a 25 year old QB with character concerns.

He has very limited upside and I see him as being a 3rd round pick at best.

Green Bay Scat
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM

you know hes been a good mormon boy since then right? Beck was 25 right? wasnt he a 2nd rounder with limited potential? or i may be smokin the weed again...

M.O.T.H.
06-26-2007, 03:11 PM
well he was when he came to Saddleback to say hi, but i bet that didnt last long durin the season, everyone loses weight, but at the beginin, yes he was 210....of course this was like May or somethin, i forget, but before the season

During the season he was listed at 196, I believe... by years end, I'd say he was right on or a little below that mark.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
didnt u just say he was a system QB a few days ago?

or were you being sarcastic

I remember him saying the Holbrook guy was a system QB, not Brennan. Brennan is D-Unit's boy from Hawaii!

-black
06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I remember him saying the Holbrook guy was a system QB, not Brennan. Brennan is D-Unit's boy from Hawaii!

ok, your right, he was talking about Holbrook

Flyboy
06-27-2007, 03:27 AM

Yep, I pretty much agree. I actually like him more than Alex Smith coming out as a prospect.

YAYareaRB
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
you know hes been a good mormon boy since then right? Beck was 25 right? wasnt he a 2nd rounder with limited potential? or i may be smokin the weed again..

He's Mormon?

And Trust me, Beck doesn't have limited potential.. He probably has the most potential of any BYU QB to come out since Steve Young.

YAYareaRB
06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Yep, I pretty much agree. I actually like him more than Alex Smith coming out as a prospect.

Him and Alex Smith are kind of the same type of QB. Both come from a spread type offense although Smith is a little more mobile coming from the Urban Meyer's offense.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM

It's slipped my head right now, but what are the reasons for his character concerns?

simms2clayton
06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
It's slipped my head right now, but what are the reasons for his character concerns?

In Colorado, I beleive he was in some kind of female abuse/rape incident. Not exactly sure off the top of my head, but I think he was kicked off the team.

BaLLiN
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
25 yrs old, character concerns, rape, not sounding good. I know he is a very good player but those things are making me think 4-6 rounder

ChefMike
06-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Undoubtedly he has the potential to be a NFL QB. How good of a NFL QB thats where what has he done against big competition comes in. When you look at the guys like Vince Young, Matt Leinert, Jay Cutler, etc. that have come out in the 1st round the past few years they have played well against big competition. Yes the BIG game theory factors as well but that is flawed, big game situations is more important and consistency against top flight competition is what an NFL Coach wants in his players... Think about like that would you want the RB that can get out of his own way 20 times a game but he may bust a 80yd TD once every 2 games ? no you don't or the QB that can throw it deep and be 7ft Tall and stand in the pocket but can't read a defense to save his life and move from the impending rush ? Hell no !

So think about it that way... and yes Colt just might be the next QB to come out who knows !

marks01234
06-28-2007, 06:50 PM

You left out an average arm but I agree.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-28-2007, 08:04 PM
You left out an average arm but I agree.

His arm is pretty damn good.

TouchdownUSC
06-29-2007, 12:06 AM
the guy is amazing