PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith Questions Goodell

kwilk103
06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

bout 1/3 way down

eacantdraft
06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Who cares what the last pick in the 5th round who hasn't played one snap in the NFL says.

yourfavestoner
06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Who cares what the last pick in the 5th round who hasn't played one snap in the NFL says.

Everyone should care if he addresses a legitimate issue.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I was worried when I read the title, but after hearing the question he asked I have no problem with this.

Philliez01
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Well that's the point of the Rookie Symposium. Goodell (and the media) needs to be able to hear what the rookies are thinking of the league they are entering. This is where they can speak their minds right to the commissioner, instead of the media.

I applaud Smith for this though and Goodell even for not saying something generic.

bsaza2358
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I think Smith makes a good point, but at the same time, Goodell needed to do what he's doing. It's like a teacher on the first day of school. You come down hard on the "kids" right away to establish your role, then you ease up as they prove themselves worthy. The question was fine, and Goodell handled it well. No worries on my end.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Of course I'm sure you didn't bother to even read the article.

Smooth Criminal
06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
You like to point out all of the good things but with today's media the negatives are focused on muhc more. I'm sure Goodell has talked about all of the great things people have done in the league but sportscenter and other outlets only like to hear about what he is going to do to the criminals in the league.

I think Goodell did exactlly what had to be done. After you get the guys that have these incedents attention they will learn to keep themselves out of those types of situations. Guys like Henry, Jones, and Johnson need to be punished and hopefully learn from their mistakes. If not, they don't deserve the opportunity to play in the NFL.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
seemed like a harmless discussion. well spoken with a genuine response from both. doesn't seem like an attack to me, more or less something of interest.

i was actaully expecting something much worse

princefielder28
06-26-2007, 02:41 PM

just another of his knee jerk reactions w/o looking at the facts

ATLDirtyBirds
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM

He didn't get the chance. Once he saw the Vick investigation title he stopped to read that.

Green Bay Scat
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
lol....hes got balls
You haven't answered my question

Nitschke-Hawk
06-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Go Troy. Maybe he could be in Troy Vincent's role someday.. He likes discussion and debate stuff, always gives good answers in interviews.

ks_perfection
06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Goodell wanted to be asked questions and thats just what Smith did. It was a harmless question at that.

06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Smith seems to have the charisma and poise of a true leader.

If only he was not a midget...

EdReedUnstoppable
06-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Smith seems to have the charisma and poise of a true leader.

If only he was not a midget...

That midget is gonna be awesome.

BlindSite
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Good question and good answer.

06-26-2007, 07:21 PM

I really liked him coming out, and knew he was not going to be anything more than a late day one pick. But, I hoped that whoever did get him would be able to let him sit for a while and eventually see if he could handle the reigns as a number 1 quarterback. Of all the teams, Baltimore was probably the best option for him considering he has McNair to learn from.

OhioState
06-26-2007, 07:23 PM
my boy (ten)

Ravens1991
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM

yea I am glad we got him!!!

eacantdraft
06-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Troy Smith is going to be the Danny Weuffel of this decade.

M.O.T.H.
06-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Go Troy. Maybe he could be in Troy Vincent's role someday.. He likes discussion and debate stuff, always gives good answers in interviews.

I doubt it...scouts were none to happy w/ his attitude problems...he's very stubborn and hasnt been noted as being the nicest of guys...

06-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I doubt it...scouts were none to happy w/ his attitude problems...he's very stubborn and hasnt been noted as being the nicest of guys...

He has off the field issues concerning his friends and their mischevious behaviours also. I do however believe he could turn it around if he has a good opportunity to motivate him.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-27-2007, 09:34 AM
He has off the field issues concerning his friends and their mischevious behaviours also. I do however believe he could turn it around if he has a good opportunity to motivate him.

Troy already has turned, he had problems at the start of his college career but he really turned it around being a model citizen last year, and he has great maturity, and poise. At worst a reliable backup with possibility for more. His pick was straight robbery, you can't teach winning, mobility, and heart. Smith has it all, I hate OSU but was happy when he won Heisman.

amazingdonnie
06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
What really troubles me about this post is how Troy Smith questions the Commish, if he doesn't think this hard-ass disciplinary stance is a "good thing" for the league, that makes me greatly question his character. The Commissioner has done only good things since coming in, and taking a tough stance on low-life punks is a very good thing, not to think of it as that obviously points to character issues.

draftguru151
06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
What really troubles me about this post is how Troy Smith questions the Commish, if he doesn't think this hard-ass disciplinary stance is a "good thing" for the league, that makes me greatly question his character. The Commissioner has done only good things since coming in, and taking a tough stance on low-life punks is a very good thing, not to think of it as that obviously points to character issues.

Did you read what Smith asked? He didn't say anything about the disciplinary actions, just about Goddell not talking about the positive things going on in the NFL right now and just the negatives, nothing to do with people getting suspended and such.

Philliez01
06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Troy Smith is going to be the Danny Weuffel of this decade.

So? No one is saying that Troy Smith is on the path to greatness, people are thinking that he might have a chance in Baltimore. I don't see how this is relevant, but no one is saying that Troy Smith will be the next great QB like Michael Vick.

;)

CC.SD
06-27-2007, 10:29 AM
He might be a fifth rounder, but it's not like a rookie can come into the league more accomplished than having a Heisman in their closet.

Shane P. Hallam
06-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I think it was a good thing for Troy, it showed leadership ability. His follow-up question was priceless and I'm sure that will gain him some respect for sticking to his guns at least.

DeathbyStat
06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I think he should be concentrating more on making an NFL roster then calling out the commish. I think the may be better suited for a career in investigative journalism then a that of an NFL QB.

Ravens1991
06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I think he should be concentrating more on making an NFL roster then calling out the commish. I think the may be better suited for a career in investigative journalism then a that of an NFL QB.

He will make the Ravens.

Ward
06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I can't believe some of you actually think Troy is in the wrong on this one. If the commish is going to publicly represent the league as much as he has chosen to do thus far, then he might think about some positive reinforcement. Goodell is acting right now like the league has a discipline problem. It doesn't. Instead, it has a few dozen knuckleheads ruining it for over a thousand other guys and Goodell hasn't done much to highlight that. The NFL and it's players do so much for charities it's ridiculous to think that these criminals in any significant way represent the league. Consider New Orleans exhibit "A".

Ward
07-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Small update (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/30/troy-smith-jordan-palmer-garrett-wolfe-questioned-roger-goodel/), apparently not only Troy Smith had questions, Garrett Wolfe did too. Although to be fair, Wolfe's was completely puerile.

BuckNaked
07-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Small update (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/30/troy-smith-jordan-palmer-garrett-wolfe-questioned-roger-goodel/), apparently not only Troy Smith had questions, Garrett Wolfe did too. Although to be fair, Wolfe's was completely puerile.

Yeah, that was a pretty immature question to ask the commissioner.

Sniper
07-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Troy already has turned, he had problems at the start of his college career but he really turned it around being a model citizen last year, and he has great maturity, and poise. At worst a reliable backup with possibility for more. His pick was straight robbery, you can't teach winning, mobility, and heart. Smith has it all, I hate OSU but was happy when he won Heisman.

But but but but....don't you know he's only 6 feet tall???????? I mean, come on, you can't be a good QB unless you're 6'5. ;)

On a more serious note, I couldn't have said it any better. I hate Ohio State with a passion, but I must admit, it's a damn good story from the way he started his career to the way he turned it around and won the Heisman. I'm stunned he fell to the fifth round and I think when it's all said and done, the guy will be the steal of the draft.

*Realizes what he just typed* I will now wander into oncoming traffic.

stephenson86
07-05-2007, 06:21 AM

maybe this is why u have negative rep

Dam8610
07-05-2007, 07:12 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

bout 1/3 way down

Expect a suspension in his near future.

P-L
07-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I can't believe some of you actually think Troy is in the wrong on this one. If the commish is going to publicly represent the league as much as he has chosen to do thus far, then he might think about some positive reinforcement. Goodell is acting right now like the league has a discipline problem. It doesn't. Instead, it has a few dozen knuckleheads ruining it for over a thousand other guys and Goodell hasn't done much to highlight that. The NFL and it's players do so much for charities it's ridiculous to think that these criminals in any significant way represent the league. Consider New Orleans exhibit "A".
Unfortunately, the bad things those few dozen have done have severely outweighed the the good things that the thousands have done when is comes to media and public perception. When Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Michael Vick, and Chris Henry do something wrong, it's usually one of the top stories on ESPN. When NFL players donated money to the Katrina relief fund, we might have gotten a 30 second mention in the final minute on Sports Center. And when the sports networks finally show the "good stories," it's usually only a few times a year. You are right, the NFL doesn't have the discipline problem that one would think by looking at all of Goodell's suspensions. However, the media makes it seem like it does to the general public and the "casual" NFL fans.

Ward
07-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Unfortunately, the bad things those few dozen have done have severely outweighed the the good things that the thousands have done when is comes to media and public perception. When Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Michael Vick, and Chris Henry do something wrong, it's usually one of the top stories on ESPN. When NFL players donated money to the Katrina relief fund, we might have gotten a 30 second mention in the final minute on Sports Center. And when the sports networks finally show the "good stories," it's usually only a few times a year. You are right, the NFL doesn't have the discipline problem that one would think by looking at all of Goodell's suspensions. However, the media makes it seem like it does to the general public and the "casual" NFL fans.

Thus is the nature of the media. Why would Goodell feed into that, which he has done so far? I realize he is not the head of the NFLPA, he's the NFL Commissioner, but as far as I know he and the players need eachother on each party's side. He would do well to represent the league as if it was not waiting for every little thing the media has to say about it. Currently the NFL seems to be reacting to the media, and ideally it should be the other way around. I see what you're saying, but I hope you see what I (and Troy Smith) are saying.

ShutDwn
07-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Exactly. Pac Man has his own segment, yet the Men of the Year, Brees and Tomlinson get a rarely played commercial.

locseti
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Exactly. Pac Man has his own segment, yet the Men of the Year, Brees and Tomlinson get a rarely played commercial.

Every other commercial on NFLN is a united way one.

bantx
07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
troy smith will be a great qb imo

someone447
07-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Gotta love the media catering to idiots(eacantdraft, rickybobby, im looking at you.) If you look, every story on the nightly news is bad. Even though the amount of non-bad news far outweighs the bad. But, sensationalism sells, so they will continue to do that.