PDA

View Full Version : 08 2nd Tier Tackles

America
06-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Everyone knows that Sam Baker and Jake Long are clearly the top tackles in next years draft and look to be top 10 picks(although that can easily change).

Where do you see guys like Barry Richardson, Kirk Barton, Gosder Cherilus and Tony Hills Jr. going. Are they mid 1st guys or more 2nd-3rd rounders. For me, Hills Jr. reminds me a lot of Ugoh and is a 2nd-3rd round prospect. Barry Richardson reminds me a little of Marcus McNiel and is a 1st rounder. I don't have a comparison for Barton, but he's a fringe first to me. Cherlius is incredibly solid but I don't know if he has the upside to go round 1. Are there any other possible late risers that could go round 1?

simms2clayton
06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Um, we really have to see next season play out before we see who the 2nd tier guys are.

I like Ryan Clady if he commits out of Boise State. Also (sr.) Chris Williams out of Vanderbilt.

marks01234
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Everyone knows that Sam Baker and Jake Long are clearly the top tackles in next years draft and look to be top 10 picks(although that can easily change).

Where do you see guys like Barry Richardson, Kirk Barton, Gosder Cherilus and Tony Hills Jr. going. Are they mid 1st guys or more 2nd-3rd rounders. For me, Hills Jr. reminds me a lot of Ugoh and is a 2nd-3rd round prospect. Barry Richardson reminds me a little of Marcus McNiel and is a 1st rounder. I don't have a comparison for Barton, but he's a fringe first to me. Cherlius is incredibly solid but I don't know if he has the upside to go round 1. Are there any other possible late risers that could go round 1?

I think Tony Hills ends up being the #1 OT in this class. He's got unreal athleticism and feet for an offensive tackle. I certainly don't think Baker or Jake Long has secured that top spot.

I like Richardson too. Barton and Cherlius are a step down to me.

SuperKevin
06-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I think there could be as many as 4 OTs that go in the 1st round in 2008. Long, Baker, Richardson, and Hillis all seem like locks to me

Green Bay Scat
06-29-2007, 08:33 PM
i think Williams of Vandy can. 6'7" 315 LT that didnt allow a sack after the first game in the tough SEC, if he can do it again, i think he has a good chance, as he was 240lbs(i believe) comin out with great quickness, and he still has it. He was recognized as a 3rd team All-american, so u know he can ball. dark horse first rounder

ricky bobby
06-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Michael Oher and Ryan Clady could make next year's OT class spectacular. That's good for teams like the Giants who may be drafting an OT on day one next year.

So for next year these are the guys we have that are possible first day selections:

Jake Long
Sam Baker
Barry Richardson
Michael Oher*
Gosder Cherilus
Ryan Clady*
Tony Hills
Chris Williams
Kirk Barton

HoopsDemon12
06-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Michael Oher and Ryan Clady could make next year's OT class spectacular. That's good for teams like the Giants who may be drafting an OT on day one next year.

So for next year these are the guys we have that are possible first day selections:

Jake Long
Sam Baker
Barry Richardson
Michael Oher*
Gosder Cherilus
Ryan Clady*
Tony Hills
Chris Williams
Kirk Barton

i thought i heard that oher may have to move inside in the pros because of his size or something though

ricky bobby
06-29-2007, 09:42 PM
i thought i heard that oher may have to move inside in the pros because of his size or something though
That's still up in the air. He would make a great OG too.

Green Bay Scat
06-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Chris Williams needs more love, hes a possible 1st round LT, hes quick enough to be in the NFL.

-black
06-29-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm in love with Barry Richardson from Clemson. Big guy, but has good feet....and i've been vouching for Tony Hills for a long time now

one of my personal favorite tackles and one I think will eventually be a top 5 pick is Ciron Black from LSU.....no relation

ricky bobby
06-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm in love with Barry Richardson from Clemson. Big guy, but has good feet....and i've been vouching for Tony Hills for a long time now

one of my personal favorite tackles and one I think will eventually be a top 5 pick is Ciron Black from LSU.....no relation
I like the OG from LSU. Herman Johnson I think? 6'8" and looks like he's a legit 360 pounds.

Jonny
06-29-2007, 10:01 PM
How about Pedro Sosa? He's really went under the radar but was all-conference last year and is on a couple pre-season AA teams. He was a big-time recruit out of HS that has quietly lived up to the hype.

gator3guy
06-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Don't forget Jeremy Zuttah, his partner anchoring the right side. I think he'll go higher. Possible first day pick. Rutgers whole OLine in general looks very promising this year with the addition of blue chip prospect Anthony Davis.

And you always have to watch out for those high profile recruits. This is often the year they break out. Among those not mentioned: Eugene Monroe from UVA and Reggie Youngblood from Miami.

CC.SD
06-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Who are the tackle prospects projected for late in the first, at RT? I get a feeling SD could pick one up and kick Olivea inside where he belongs once Goff becomes a free agent.

Sniper
06-30-2007, 03:06 AM
I certainly don't think Baker or Jake Long has secured that top spot.

What games you been watching?

Jonny
06-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Zuttah's size will probably make him go inside, unless he lands with a zone-blocking team. He's the better player in college, but Sosa's frame gives him more long-term potential.

Davis has incredible athleticism, but with his conditioning he could really use a RS. He'll have to have a strong camp to earn a starting spot. Most likely scenario is no RS and backing up RG/RT.

marks01234
06-30-2007, 05:39 PM
What games you been watching?

Baker was beaten pretty bad by UCLA DE's. Jake Long could have been more dominant against OSU too. My main complaint with Long is whether he can be a left tackle.

Besides it is almost a year from the draft. At this point last year, Brady Quinn was the top QB, Max-Jean Giles was the top OG, Alan Branch was the top DT and we were debating between Gaines Adams and Quinton Moses as the top DE. Two years ago, Rod Wright was our top DT on the board.

Woody56
06-30-2007, 07:28 PM
a guy that really impressed me last season was Purdue RT Sean Sester

Sniper
06-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Baker was beaten pretty bad by UCLA DE's. Jake Long could have been more dominant against OSU too. My main complaint with Long is whether he can be a left tackle.

Besides it is almost a year from the draft. At this point last year, Brady Quinn was the top QB, Max-Jean Giles was the top OG, Alan Branch was the top DT and we were debating between Gaines Adams and Quinton Moses as the top DE. Two years ago, Rod Wright was our top DT on the board.

Alan Branch still is the best DT in the draft. His stats may not be pretty but if you watched any Michigan games you would see how Harris, Woodley, Crable and Co. were so nasty. Yeah Jake didn't do well against OSU. Not like they scored 39 points or anything. Jean-Giles was two years ago.

Gchu83
07-01-2007, 10:18 AM
For me, Hills Jr. reminds me a lot of Ugoh and is a 2nd-3rd round prospect.

Hills is a 1st Rounder and will be one of the Top 3 OL taken, no way he falls into the 3rd.

Mr. Stiller
07-02-2007, 01:37 AM
I would just like to throw out...

John Greco, Toledo
Heath Benedict, Newberry
King Dunlap, Auburn
Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

Vikes99ej
07-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Look out for King Dunlap of Auburn. He big.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Just because Baker and Long were almost going to enter the 2007 draft doesn't mean they are locks for anything next year. Richardson probably has just as much potential as Long (and might even have better feet). Cherilus might be more reliable than Baker.

simms2clayton
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I think we all remember the preseason hype given to Jonathan Scott.

No one is a first round lock yet.

Jonny
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Cherilus and a teammate were involved in a bar fight.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/07/06/bc_players_probed_for_alleged_role_in_bar_scuffle

SuperKevin
07-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Cherilus and a teammate were involved in a bar fight.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/07/06/bc_players_probed_for_alleged_role_in_bar_scuffle

Probably not an issue come draft time

SuperKevin
07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Another name that needs to be thrown out is Heath Benedict of Newberry. He may be a D2 OT but scouts are raving about him and its been said he could have been a Day 1 pick last year if he declared early

America
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Another name that needs to be thrown out is Heath Benedict of Newberry. He may be a D2 OT but scouts are raving about him and its been said he could have been a Day 1 pick last year if he declared early

For some reason, that name is so familiar, but I don't think I've ever heard of/seen him.

SuperKevin
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
For some reason, that name is so familiar, but I don't think I've ever heard of/seen him.

He's being touted as the #1 Small school prospect in football right now. A ton of scouts are raving about the guy. Started his career at Tennessee but left after one year

draftguru151
07-06-2007, 09:45 AM
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/EggsBenedict.jpg

Eggs Benedict perhaps?