PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft Predictions Thread

LarryJohnson27
06-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Paul Olver: Kansas City Chiefs - They're the team that needs him most, out of the teams he's been said to be visiting with.

Jared Gaither: Baltimore Ravens - Just a gut feeling.

Chris Patrick: Minnestoa Vikings - Could end up being the final piece on that interior OL.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-29-2007, 03:16 PM
If Gaither is drafted by us, I will be doing backflips of joy for about 3 weeks strait!!!

BigDawg819
06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
If Gaither is drafted by us, I will be doing backflips of joy for about 3 weeks strait!!!

That pick would excite me as well.

Scout49
06-29-2007, 03:50 PM
OT Jared Gaither Maryland
(3rd round) By Miami Dolphins

CB Paul Oliver Geogia
(5th Round) By Washington Redskins

OG Chris Patrick Nebraska
(7th Round) by Seattle Seahawks

What do you guys think?

remix 6
06-29-2007, 04:02 PM
OT Jared Gaither Maryland
(3rd round) By Miami Dolphins

CB Paul Oliver Geogia
(5th Round) By Washington Redskins

OG Chris Patrick Nebraska
(7th Round) by Seattle Seahawks

What do you guys think?
Gaither 4th
Oliver 5th

Patrick undrafted

fenikz
06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Jared Gaither - Arizona Cardinals - 4th round
Paul Oliver - San Diego Chargers - 3rd round
Patrick Undrafted

LarryJohnson27
06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't see Gaither going before Olvier.

LarryJohnson27
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Jared Gaither - Arizona Cardinals - 4th round
Paul Oliver - San Diego Chargers - 3rd round
Patrick Undrafted

I don't think the Chargers have a 3rd rounder.

fenikz
06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't see Gaither going before Olvier.

4th isnt before 3rd and i dont know what the chargers have i just picked a team that i thought he would fit on

LarryJohnson27
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
4th isnt before 3rd and i dont know what the chargers have i just picked a team that i thought he would fit on

That first reply wasn't to you, it was to the two posts above yours.

ricky bobby
06-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Paul Olver: Detriot Lions 5th round

Jared Gaither: New York Jets 5th round

Chris Patrick: New York Giants 7th round

LarryJohnson27
06-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I can't see Oliver making it to the 5th round. The Chiefs should end up with another 4th from the Green trade, so I think they'll at the least bid a 4th on him.

ricky bobby
06-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't see Oliver making it to the 5th round. The Chiefs should end up with another 4th from the Green trade, so I think they'll at the least bid a 4th on him.
Oh please. He's extremely overrated. He held CJ to a couple yards, great. Did you see who was throwing to CJ? Oliver didn't shut down CJ, Reggie Ball did. His recent workout was far from spectacular with a 4.5 - 4.6 forty. There are linebackers that run faster than him. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he went undrafted.

LarryJohnson27
06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh please. He's extremely overrated. He held CJ to a couple yards, great. Did you see who was throwing to CJ? Oliver didn't shut down CJ, Reggie Ball did. His recent workout was far from spectacular with a 4.5 - 4.6 forty. There are linebackers that run faster than him. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he went undrafted.

Maybe he is a bit overrated, but the Chiefs seem to have alot of interest, a huge need for a youth and depth at CB, and 10 draft picks for 2007, and while he might be a little overrated by others, you are underrating him IMO. He had a legit shot at the 1st round had he stayed in school.

kmartin575
06-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Most other draft picks had several months to prepare for their workouts and the draft. If Oliver had that much time I'm sure his 40 time would have been in the 4.4's. However, I am glad his time wasn't that fast so some teams are scared off. There is a difference between timed speed and game speed. Oliver has good game speed.

kmartin575
06-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Paul Oliver- 3rd round, Kansas City Chiefs
Jared Gaither- 3rd round, Minnesota Vikings
Chris Patrick- 6th round, Seattle Seahawks

EdReedUnstoppable
06-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Gaither-Ravens in the 2nd

I figure we would have taken Staley in rd 1 this year, we're gonna have to go OT in rd 1 next year why not get a guy who would have been a top 3 OT prospect in next years draft for a 2nd rder now.

Green Bay Scat
06-29-2007, 07:23 PM
u know...........i hate mondays

SuperKevin
06-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I think Robert Armstrong could warrant a 7th round selection. I heard he had a solid workout

Crazy_Chris
06-30-2007, 12:43 AM
I think there is a good chance that the vikings will come out of the Supp. draft with either Jared Gaither or Chris Patrick

Jonny
06-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Gaither - 3rd to Ravens
Patrick - 5th somewhere
Oliver - 5th somewhere

EdReedUnstoppable
06-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Gaither - 3rd to Ravens
Patrick - 5th somewhere
Oliver - 5th somewhere

We don't have a 3rd.........thanks Willis :(

-black
06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I wouldnt be suprised to see Gaither go undrafted

ricky bobby
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I wouldnt be suprised to see Gaither go undrafted
I would be a little surprised, but not shocked. I have him in the 5-7 round range. Some people have him as a day one pick. That's shocking.

Acreboy
06-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Oliver-2nd Saints...

Oh wait...

Damn dream again...

23trufant
06-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Paul Oliver- 4rd round, 49ers
Jared Gaither- 5th round, Cowboys
Chris Patrick- 7th round, Seahawks

mikedoobie
06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Oliver - 4th Chiefs
Gaither - 5th Ravens (dreaming) or 5th Falcons
Patrick - Undrafted

EdReedUnstoppable
06-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I would be a little surprised, but not shocked. I have him in the 5-7 round range. Some people have him as a day one pick. That's shocking.

If he would have played this year and been what he has been for 2 years he would have been a 1st day pick in next year's draft easily.

Primetime21
06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Paul Oliver-4th Chargers
Jared Gaither-6th Ravens

nobodyinparticular
07-01-2007, 12:30 AM
I could see the Raiders trying to bring Patrick into Oakland. That may be with a late round choice or undrafted as a free agent. He fits the scheme very well and he has a bit of upside.

Mr. Stiller
07-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Paul Oliver ~ 4th Round ~ Green Bay. Oliver has shut down Calvin Johnson, and with an aging CB group in Woodson/Harris. He starts at Nickel and hopeful gives GB the youth and a future #1.

Jared Gaither ~ 4th Round ~ Baltimore. They've seen this kid for 2 years now and they have to be impressed with his athleticism. Gaither is harboring more on potential than production at this point. However, with a solid core on defense, and a solid draft, adding Gaither in round 4 is perfect for Baltimore. They added Ben Grubbs this past season as well as Marshal Yanda. Add Gaither as another future up and comer. Even if he doesn't pan out and becomes a behemoth at RT... you can slide Yanda to RG, Terry to LT(which could happen regardless), Grubbs to LG, and Chester to Center. Terry would be the oldest player, and it would be a formidable group for years to come. Downside? Baltimore's FO gets bored between rounds 2 and 5 next year.

Chris Patrick ~ 7th round ~ Pittsburgh. With Alan Faneca leaving, it would be very nice to bring in a guy that can play LT/LG as a swingman and learn behind him for a season.

Mark Washington, DE/OLB, Texas State ~ UDFA ~ New England. I want to give this kid a shot in Pittsburgh, but alas, I have a feeling that NE, if he is a steal, will sign him. A 6'3 250lb DE/OLB thats capable of playing WLB/SLB in a 4-3.. a rare athlete, but doesn't have production at a high level. With NE being weak on the outsides.. could use some depth.

Robert Armstrong, NT, Morgan state ~ UDFA ~ Cincinnati. An Athletic guy with some size at 6'4 315lbs. He would be an interesting addition to a team weak in the trenches.

P-L
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
You didn't watch that Georgia/Georgia Tech game did you? Because, Paul Oliver did handle Calvin Johnson. People assume that because Calvin was such a good prospect that whenever he didn't have a monster game, it was Reggie Ball's fault. That was simply not the case if you were to re-watch the game. Calvin was only open on a few plays the whole game.

Secondly, you have to take the mid-4.5 he ran with a grain of salt, as most NFL GMs will probably do. Oliver only had a few weeks to prepare for his workout. All NFL prospects going to the combine usually train for almost a two months, if not more, for it. Not only that, but he most likely wasn't in football shape when he started training for the workout.

Predictions
Paul Oliver - 4th Round
Jared Gaither - 6th Round
Chris Patrick - 7th Round

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 01:24 PM
You didn't watch that Georgia/Georgia Tech game did you? Because, Paul Oliver did handle Calvin Johnson. People assume that because Calvin was such a good prospect that whenever he didn't have a monster game, it was Reggie Ball's fault. That was simply not the case if you were to re-watch the game. Calvin was only open on a few plays the whole game.
I didn't see the game, but if Jamarcus Russell or Quinn were throwing to CJ, I garauntee you that we wouldn't be hyping Oliver like we are right now.
Secondly, you have to take the mid-4.5 he ran with a grain of salt, as most NFL GMs will probably do. Oliver only had a few weeks to prepare for his workout. All NFL prospects going to the combine usually train for almost a two months, if not more, for it. Not only that, but he most likely wasn't in football shape when he started training for the workout.

He was originally advertised as a 6'0" 205 pound CB with sub 4.4 speed. Turns out he's not even 5'11" and not even 200 pounds. Add on top of that his mid 4.5 40 speed, and he's just not that impressive. I haven't following him all, but it seems only claim to fame was shutting down CJ, which isn't that big of a deal considering who was throwing to him.

I know he may not be in football shape, but if mid 4.5 is his real speed, that's far from impressive. Daymieon Hughes had 8 INTs his senior year and he dropped into round 4? due to his speed.

draftguru151
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
So you're pretty much judging him off of his height and weight and offseason 40 time? How can you guarantee something that you saw none of?

asmitty45
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Id say the lions would probably give up a forth for Oliver and maybe evena 3rd, CB is our biggest area of need and he was supposed to be an elite CB this year.

Gaither will warrant at least a 5th

BufFan71
07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
i wouldnt be surprised to see Buffalo possibly use a 3rd on Paul Oliver seeing we need some CB help

-black
07-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Predictions
Paul Oliver - 4th Round
Jared Gaither - 6th Round
Chris Patrick - 7th Round

I have that game on tape, and watched it twice during the off-season. While Oliver played a great game, he did not "handle" CJ throuout. Ball did have a terrible game, wobbly passes, inaccurate, injuries, bad OL play....alot went into why CJ was held in check....and it was not all Paul Oliver....diff QB and CJ would have had 3-4 more catches for about 50-60 yards...still wouldnt have been a "great game"...but his numbers should have been more respectable than that

Hines
07-02-2007, 02:39 PM
i hope the steelers make a splash in this

id like oliver or gaither maybe even patrick

when is the draft again

Hermstheman83
07-02-2007, 02:51 PM
KC runs a cover two, the benefit is that you don't need big time, fast Cornerbacks. Paul Oliver would be a fantastic fit for KC. Same for Gaither, if you guys are right, KC should be in the running also, since we have like 11 picks next year.

BufFan71
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Oliver would be a perfect fit in Buffalo too... (cover 2)

Smokey Joe
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Gaither to the Bears for a 4th rounder would be nice.

I think the Chargers are going to make a bid for Oliver, but it would likely cost at least a 2nd rounder for them since they don't have a 3rd and I don't think their low 4th would be good enough.

kmartin575
07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
KC runs a cover two, the benefit is that you don't need big time, fast Cornerbacks. Paul Oliver would be a fantastic fit for KC. Same for Gaither, if you guys are right, KC should be in the running also, since we have like 11 picks next year.

So far we could have 10 picks for next year but that number could go up to 11 if we are able to trade Greg Wesley.

MNRunLeft
07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I think the Vikings would be considering a 4th or 5th for Gaither considering the teams need at RT. Childress places a high value on offensive lineman as we saw with the signing of Steve Hutchinson. The Vikings also have an extra first day pick (2nd Round) next season and may feel like gambling on a talented guy with a 2nd day pick.

WarOnTheShore
07-02-2007, 09:17 PM
What, no love for Clifton Dickson or Aaron Turner?

simms2clayton
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Gaither is gonna be a 3rd round pick by Kansas City.

Oliver is going in the 5th round to the Green Bay Packers.

Patrick in 7th to Houston Texans.

kmartin575
07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Gaither is gonna be a 3rd round pick by Kansas City.

Oliver is going in the 5th round to the Green Bay Packers.

Patrick in 7th to Houston Texans.

I would be ecstatic if we got either Gaither or Oliver. Gaither could be our left tackle or right tackle of the future. Will Svitek could man the spot opposite of Gaither.

However, right now I think I would rather Oliver. Surtain and Law are great starters but until Marcus Maxey or Michael Bragg prove themselves we have absolutely no depth. If Oliver proves himself enough this year he could give us the luxury of cutting Law next year to clear some cap room.

Hermstheman83
07-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I would be ecstatic if we got either Gaither or Oliver. Gaither could be our left tackle or right tackle of the future. Will Svitek could man the spot opposite of Gaither.

However, right now I think I would rather Oliver. Surtain and Law are great starters but until Marcus Maxey or Michael Bragg prove themselves we have absolutely no depth. If Oliver proves himself enough this year he could give us the luxury of cutting Law next year to clear some cap room.

That would be sick, we already have like 10 million dollars in cap space. I really like what Herm and CP are doing with the franchise. Next Step: Sign LJ

Hermstheman83
07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
So far we could have 10 picks for next year but that number could go up to 11 if we are able to trade Greg Wesley.

Sorry, I read somewhere that they already agreed to draft compensation with the Broncos...can't find the article though. Thanks for the heads up.

kmartin575
07-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Sorry, I read somewhere that they already agreed to draft compensation with the Broncos...can't find the article though. Thanks for the heads up.

That was the Adam Teicher article. It states that the two teams have agreed on a potential trade but the Chiefs have yet to pull the trigger.

fenikz
07-03-2007, 05:01 AM
I really hope the Cardinals get a offer in for Gaither he is a perfect fit for the power running game Wise is trying to run, start him at RT & Brown at LT with Lutui & Wells at G and Johnson at C and we might actually have a above average line for once

bored of education
07-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Gaither and Brown would be very solid.

burdman
07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I didn't see the game, but

stop RIGHT there. if you didn't see the game then need to shut up. everybody here in georgia knows that PO shutdown CJ and weve been watching both since high school. demario minter shut him down last year too. I don't understand the idiotic mindset. how can a you blame the qb when the receiver is being thrown to and the db is making plays? ill tell u why. people nowawdays are too dumb to come up with their own conclusions so the just say what everyone else is saying.

SuperKevin
07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I really hope the Cardinals get a offer in for Gaither he is a perfect fit for the power running game Wise is trying to run, start him at RT & Brown at LT with Lutui & Wells at G and Johnson at C and we might actually have a above average line for once

With Leinart being left handed Brown should start at RT and Gaither at LT

ricky bobby
07-04-2007, 11:56 AM
To all those who thing Gaither is worth a first day pick....

http://www.bigblueview.com/story/2007/7/3/235526/9489

"I covered Jared for two seasons as a beat writer and while he is massive, he is also lazy and knows little football. He flunked off the team despite repeated chances because he just didn't want to go to class. Everyone told him he'd be an NFL star, but not with that work ethic. I'd say he's a sixth-rounder at best in the supplemental draft and maybe you can work him on the practice squad for a year. He can't come right in and start."

- Rick Snider

WarOnTheShore
07-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Paul Oliver: 3rd
Gaither: 5th
Chris Patrick 5th
Mark Washington: 7th
Robert Armstrong: undrafted
Aaron Turner: undrafted
Clifton Dickson: undrafted

fenikz
07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
id still be fine with taking Gaither with a 3rd, Grimm can teach him and he can become a beast

ricky bobby
07-04-2007, 06:22 PM
id still be fine with taking Gaither with a 3rd, Grimm can teach him and he can become a beast
He's a great physical speciman, but he seems to have character issues. He's a fat guy that is lazy. That's never a good combination. He doesn't seem to have a lot of passion for the game either. With some of the OTs available in next year's draft, i'd pass on this guy until the 5th or 6th.

akvikefan89
07-05-2007, 01:08 PM
The Vikings also have an extra first day pick (2nd Round) next season and may feel like gambling on a talented guy with a 2nd day pick.

3rd round, not second. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/akvikefan89/Viking.gif

D-Unit
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Dallas should use a 3rd rounder on him. You can't teach size.

PACKmanN
07-07-2007, 01:03 AM
He's a great physical speciman, but he seems to have character issues. He's a fat guy that is lazy. That's never a good combination. He doesn't seem to have a lot of passion for the game either. With some of the OTs available in next year's draft, i'd pass on this guy until the 5th or 6th.

where were you when Lendale White went in the second round? I hope the Packers can get Oilver. I have a gut feeling that Gaither will be a 49er.

Mr. Stiller
07-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Not to downplay Grimm.. But Frankly, I don't know if Grimm can really teach anyone..

He always got his guys... Look at Trai Essex or Max Starks... Essex doesn't do anything but get fatter and Starks was horrid last year.

Good Luck with Him, I don't know if he was a bad coach, but when I saw teams drafting day 2 OL and they became good players.. yet our whole Oline had to be of day 1 players and they still weren't that great...

Scout49
07-07-2007, 06:17 AM
where were you when Lendale White went in the second round? I hope the Packers can get Oilver. I have a gut feeling that Gaither will be a 49er.

You think the 9ers are going to go after a lazy, bad work ethic guy? You must not know Mike Nolan's thought process of those type of players.

ricky bobby
07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah, and then the next year they took Chris Henry in the second round. White was a wasted pick. Hopefully the Titans have learned their lesson.

PACKmanN
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, and then the next year they took Chris Henry in the second round. White was a wasted pick. Hopefully the Titans have learned their lesson.

Yeah but theres other teams that might take a chance with a 3rd because if you can get this guy to stay right your getting a top 10 tackle.

ricky bobby
07-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah but theres other teams that might take a chance with a 3rd because if you can get this guy to stay right your getting a top 10 tackle.
That would be a waste of a pick. He is not going to start or play at all this year, and next year's draft is packed with very good OTs.

"He is lazy and knows little about football"

That's all I need to hear.

Smooth Criminal
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd like the Steelers to go after Gaither but not before the 4th round.

RaiderDude
07-09-2007, 11:16 PM
If Gaither falls to the 4th, the Raiders will have the 1st pick in rd 4 and will take him

Nobody has mentioned Oakland considering they lost their RT in Langston Walker who they blew a 2nd rd pick on and the guy basically sucks major monkey jewels

Gaither at RT will be a dominate tackle

RT gets overlooked alot from the regular NFL fans

But its a very important part of any OL

Considering the shambles of the Raiders OL, I wouldnt be surprised to see Al Davis jump on him with a 2nd

Raiders wont finish last in the NFL, they'll win 6-8 games this year and will pick somewhere around 15 or

You dont pass up a guy with that much size and strength and footwork, especially if you can get him for a mid 2nd rd pick

Raiders will take their DT in rd 1 next year and will have filled out most of their roster with promising prospects

Dont be surprised to see Oakland pay the price of a 2nd rd pick for Gaither

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 01:29 AM
I think Gaither and Oliver both have day 1 picks used on them and I expect one or both of them will have 2nd rounders used on them. These guys are major talents and I think a lot of teams are gonna want to get their hands on them.

KCJ58
07-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Paul Oliver - 2nd St Louis Rams

eacantdraft
07-10-2007, 07:48 AM
I think Gaither and Oliver both have day 1 picks used on them and I expect one or both of them will have 2nd rounders used on them. These guys are major talents and I think a lot of teams are gonna want to get their hands on them.

No team is going to waste a 2nd round pick on Gaither. The guy is a 4th round pick at best with all his baggage and rawness.

Scout49
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
No team is going to waste a 2nd round pick on Gaither. The guy is a 4th round pick at best with all his baggage and rawness.

No, I acually think some one might put a tab on Gaither in the 2nd or 3rd round because his potential. Oliver might be a 4th rounder though.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 02:18 PM

look whos speaking up, he was being talked about as a potential 1st round pick if he came out, although I dont think he actually would have gone that high. All his excess baggage? He was academically ineligible, its a concern but he doesnt have major baggage. Hes been an underachiever, but he has the talent of a top 10 pick. Without having time to prepare for his workout, he put up impressive numbers which were better than many of the OL picked in the first day...OT is a premium position and a lot of teams are in need there, standouts are especially hard to find. 4th round pick at best? Ill admit theres a slim possibility he slides that far, but its highly unlikely and no way would he ever make it past the 4th round. Do you just make dumb posts all day long or do you occasionally actually attempt to understand what you are talking about instead of just spouting off about it?

eacantdraft
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
look whos speaking up, he was being talked about as a potential 1st round pick if he came out, although I dont think he actually would have gone that high. All his excess baggage? He was academically ineligible, its a concern but he doesnt have major baggage. Hes been an underachiever, but he has the talent of a top 10 pick. Without having time to prepare for his workout, he put up impressive numbers which were better than many of the OL picked in the first day...OT is a premium position and a lot of teams are in need there, standouts are especially hard to find. 4th round pick at best? Ill admit theres a slim possibility he slides that far, but its highly unlikely and no way would he ever make it past the 4th round. Do you just make dumb posts all day long or do you occasionally actually attempt to understand what you are talking about instead of just spouting off about it?

Here is an article that agrees with me that Gaither probably a 4th round pick.
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/09/after-workout-jared-gaither-looking-like-mid-round-supplemental/

I guess we will see where he goes in two more days. A guy who was declared academically ineligable and is coming off a down year is not going in the first two rounds in most cases.

SuperKevin
07-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Here is an article that agrees with me that Gaither probably a 4th round pick.
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/09/after-workout-jared-gaither-looking-like-mid-round-supplemental/

I guess we will see where he goes in two more days. A guy who was declared academically ineligable and is coming off a down year is not going in the first two rounds in most cases.

He's better than a certain guy who was taken in the 3rd round last year that was kicked off his team for drugs and academics.

Scout49
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I bet the Ravens, Jags or Dolphins take him in the 3rd round

draftguru151
07-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Some other numbers that weren't posted.

a broad jump of 9 feet, 3 inches, a short shuttle of 4.49-4.53 seconds and a cone drill of 7.12-7.25 seconds.

Those are better than Joe Thomas and very comparable to Joe Staley numbers.

EA, that's one guy saying Gaither should be available in the 4th, you're saying at best he's a 4th rounder. Last year Ahmad Brooks got kicked off the team for drugs as well as academics, had injury issues, had weight issues, and did not play well his last year. He went in the third rounder because the year before he was the best LB in college. Gaither is in great shape, and is in the draft because of academics and that's it. He didn't play great last year but did extremely well the year before. Is Gaither a lock for the first 3 rounds? No, but to say he's a 4th rounder at best is ridiculous and really has nothing to back it up.

kmartin575
07-10-2007, 10:35 PM

EA, that's one guy saying Gaither should be available in the 4th, you're saying at best he's a 4th rounder. Last year Ahmad Brooks got kicked off the team for drugs as well as academics, had injury issues, had weight issues, and did not play well his last year. He went in the third rounder because the year before he was the best LB in college. Gaither is in great shape, and is in the draft because of academics and that's it. He didn't play great last year but did extremely well the year before. Is Gaither a lock for the first 3 rounds? No, but to say he's a 4th rounder at best is ridiculous and really has nothing to back it up.

Keep in mind it is the Bengals who drafted him. They are the ones who also drafted guys like Frostee Rucker, A.J. Nicholson, Odell Thurman, and Chris Henry who have all had trouble with the law.

Mr. Stiller
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Keep in mind it is the Bengals who drafted him. They are the ones who also drafted guys like Frostee Rucker, A.J. Nicholson, Odell Thurman, and Chris Henry who have all had trouble with the law.

Lets not forget either... that Ahmad Brooks, was considered a top 5 pick and best LB in the draft.

Gaither isn't even a lock for best OT, or a top 15 pick... especially with the ridiculous amount of LT talent available next year.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-11-2007, 01:35 AM

While I agree with you, I think 4th might be the most likely destination for Gaither. There's no way the Maryland coaching staff gives him a particularly positive report, and, unlike Brooks, Gaither hasn't really produced at a top level outside a few good performances his freshman year.

edit - Then again, if some team is sold on Gaither as a legitimate left tackle, the 3rd suddenly becomes a great option.

Mr. Stiller
07-11-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm still hoping for Pittsburgh to grab him with a 3rd or 4th.

We're losing our LG next year and LT the year after.

we only have 3 big issues.. LT, LG and ROLB.

Adding Gaither in round 3 or 4 in the Supp Draft will give him a year head start. Then add Grimes/Kraus next season as well as a top DE/OLB.

I think we'd be set in a season or two.

Gaither ~ Grimes ~ Colon ~ Kemo ~ 2008 Rookie RT/Capizzi.

bored of education
07-11-2007, 07:29 AM
I really hope the Chiefs go for Oliver.

draftguru151
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
While I agree with you, I think 4th might be the most likely destination for Gaither. There's no way the Maryland coaching staff gives him a particularly positive report, and, unlike Brooks, Gaither hasn't really produced at a top level outside a few good performances his freshman year.

edit - Then again, if some team is sold on Gaither as a legitimate left tackle, the 3rd suddenly becomes a great option.

I disagree with a few good games. Was he as dominate as Brooks? No, few are, but he had a fantastic freshman year. Add to that he has fantastic measurables, he can play LT, and that he's in great shape right now, I definitely see someone taking a shot on him in the 3rd round. Is the 4th round a possibility? Yes, but to say it's the 4th round at best is ridiculous.

neko4
07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
What was Gaither's 40 if anyone knows? And will the Supp be on NFLN?

Hines
07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
i think the steelers would use a 5th or 6th for patrick

and sign an undrafted free agent

draftguru151
07-11-2007, 11:52 AM
What was Gaither's 40 if anyone knows? And will the Supp be on NFLN?

4.98-5.14.

eacantdraft
07-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I disagree with a few good games. Was he as dominate as Brooks? No, few are, but he had a fantastic freshman year. Add to that he has fantastic measurables, he can play LT, and that he's in great shape right now, I definitely see someone taking a shot on him in the 3rd round. Is the 4th round a possibility? Yes, but to say it's the 4th round at best is ridiculous.

No it isn't. Gaithers has a huge bust potential. Yes he may be great, but he may be a big time bust as well. And there appears little space for an OK career. It's either boom or bust. His fragile psyche, non aggresive demenior, lack of intelligence for a position that requires intelligence scares me away from spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on this guy.

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Whats the chances of the Lions trying to get Oliver?

coCANES17
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
One will go in the third and the other in the 4th. I think Gaither goes 3rd to either Atlanta or Baltimore. Oliver goes in the 4th to the Lions.

draftguru151
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I posted it in the Falcons thread the other day, rotoworld had something about then not participating in the supplemental draft, not sure if it's true or not though.

Scout49
07-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Washington is interested in someone and going to participate in the Supp draft. I think it's most likley Paul Oliver, that makes most sense to me because of there need for a corner.

Yung Flippa
07-12-2007, 12:21 AM
One will go in the third and the other in the 4th. I think Gaither goes 3rd to either Atlanta or Baltimore. Oliver goes in the 4th to the Lions.

Ravens don't a 3rd though. but i would love him in the 4th or 5th.

kmartin575
07-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Washington is interested in someone and going to participate in the Supp draft. I think it's most likley Paul Oliver, that makes most sense to me because of there need for a corner.

Why would Washington need a corner?

They already had Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers. Then they signed three free agent cornerbacks in the offseason with Fred Smoot, Jerametrius Butler, and David Macklin. All three have started in the NFL and offer good depth. IMO the Redskins have pretty damn good depth at cornerback.

With how many draft picks the Redskins have given up over the years I don't see them giving one up now.

Caddy
07-12-2007, 06:09 AM
With how many draft picks the Redskins have given up over the years I don't see them giving one up now.

It's not like it's being used in tandem with another pick to grab a player, it is in effect the same as drafting a player.

Finsfan79
07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Gaither to Miami in the 3rd

We will be in the top group (since 6 wins or less group) so have a good shot to get him since it is random there :)

remix 6
07-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Patriots still might take Oliver

supposivly, Oliver or his agent said Patriots-Chargers are 2 teams interested in giving up a 2nd :o

were both in the end group i think but if we go third, Patriots are in the first group since we have Raider's pick

scottyboy
07-12-2007, 09:59 AM
i think Patrick to the Giants for a 6th or 7th...

Iamcanadian
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM

I agree, in fact with 32 teams bidding on his services, he could go round 2 because if your a late drafting round 3 team, the temptation might be too great to not draft him in round 2. People have to remember that a player drafted next year won't catch up to a player drafted this year for at least another 3 years if both become starters.
I for one was really impressed by the fact he was in such great playing shape at his workout. Lazy players rarely are prepared for their workouts especially on such short notice like Gaither had. He had obviously put in the time in the off season to prepare for the coming college season. I'm sure the pro scouts were impressed.

PackerMang
07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
when does the supplemental draft start/end??

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
when does the supplemental draft start/end??

It started 12 minutes ago. Its a fairly quick process, we'll know within the hour.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
i really think the steelers will get patrick with a 6th

then we can sign a free agent

BaLLiN
07-12-2007, 11:35 AM
do you really think paul oliver would've been a 1st rounder if he could've stayed at Georgia?

Man_Of_Steel
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
do you really think paul oliver would've been a 1st rounder if he could've stayed at Georgia?

Not a first rounder. His speed (4.57 and 4.58) is way to slow to warrent a first.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Not a first rounder. His speed (4.57 and 4.58) is way to slow to warrent a first.

ya but he didnt have enough time to prepare for workouts like other prospects do

remix 6
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

he had to lose 15 pounds for workouts. he was trying to get his grades up and i guess wasnt lifting or staying in shape while doing so. so he lost 15 pounds within weeks of his pro day.

Man_Of_Steel
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
he had to lose 15 pounds for workouts. he was trying to get his grades up and i guess wasnt lifting or staying in shape while doing so. so he lost 15 pounds within weeks of his pro day.

He has only himself to blame, he dosent need to be a rocket scientist or even smart, just hand in assignments.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
this is from rotoworld

A "league source" tells Profootballtalk.com that Maryland OT Jared Gaither will likely go in the fifth round of Thursday's Supplemental Draft.

The source says Gaither would've been a first-day selection had he entered April's draft. The Chargers and Ravens appear to be most interested in him. Also, Georgia CB Paul Oliver could reportedly fall as low as Round Seven.

Man_Of_Steel
07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
this is from rotoworld

A "league source" tells Profootballtalk.com that Maryland OT Jared Gaither will likely go in the fifth round of Thursday's Supplemental Draft.

The source says Gaither would've been a first-day selection had he entered April's draft. The Chargers and Ravens appear to be most interested in him. Also, Georgia CB Paul Oliver could reportedly fall as low as Round Seven.

I would take those guys in those rounds real fast.

Id give a forth for each actually.

If this is true I really hope the Steelers are active.

Mr. Stiller
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I would take those guys in those rounds real fast.

Id give a forth for each actually.

If this is true I really hope the Steelers are active.

We're supposed to be.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
We're supposed to be.

for who?????

Mr. Stiller
07-12-2007, 11:58 AM

It's very possible.

a 10th of a second could have been just his takeoff style.. he didn't have 4 months to train with pro-style workout centers working on his 40' take off technique.

Mr. Stiller
07-12-2007, 11:59 AM
for who?????

Patrick supposedly, but who knows what Tombert are thinking.

Larry
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
I think the Niners put in bid for Gaither if he falls to the 5th round.

ccB
07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Man if the Ravens take Jared I will mess myself.

Hines
07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Man if the Ravens take Jared I will mess myself.

they will have one beastly line...if they do pick him would he take terrys job or will he sit behind ogden for a year

ccB
07-12-2007, 12:10 PM
they will have one beastly line...if they do pick him would he take terrys job or will he sit behind ogden for a year

He'd sit until Ogden retired. A future line of LT Gaither LG Ben Grubbs C Chris Chester RG Jason Brown RT Adam Terry would be unstoppable.

Jughead10
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
i think Patrick to the Giants for a 6th or 7th...

I heard the Giants were more interested in two lesser known guys. Whether that means they take one of those guys in the 7th I dunno. They might just try to sign the afterwards. One was a DE from a small Texas school.

Jughead10
07-12-2007, 12:29 PM
He'd sit until Ogden retired. A future line of LT Gaither LG Ben Grubbs C Chris Chester RG Jason Brown RT Adam Terry would be unstoppable.

Only if all 5 of them turned out the way you want them to, which is very unlikely.

BaLLiN
07-12-2007, 12:29 PM
any news on a selection yet?

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
any news on a selection yet?

I haven't seen anything yet. A bit suprising since Ahmad Brooks announcement came pretty quick.

scottyboy
07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I heard the Giants were more interested in two lesser known guys. Whether that means they take one of those guys in the 7th I dunno. They might just try to sign the afterwards. One was a DE from a small Texas school.

yes, we're interested in DE/LB Mark Washington from Texas State and DT Robert Armstrong from Morgan state.

Jonny
07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
The Giants are just looking at them as UDFAs.

We're not going to draft Gaither because Sosa and Zuttah will be lining up in Blue next year :)

ccB
07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Only if all 5 of them turned out the way you want them to, which is very unlikely.

Well 3 of them are already pretty good (Terry, Chester, and Brown)

akvikefan89
07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
POSTED 1:34 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2007
NO PICKS THROUGH FIRST THREE ROUNDS
A league source tells us that, through three rounds of the supplemental draft, no players have been picked.
The process began at 1:00 p.m. EDT. Teams send in an e-mail each round indicating whether they intend to use a pick or pass. Priority was determined via a weighted lottery.
Stay tuned for more updates.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I think it ends up:

Gaither 4th (Falcons)

Oliver 6th (Titans)

Patrick 7th (Steelers)

Anyways, profootballtalk is saying no player was picked in the first 3 rounds. (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Well 3 of them are already pretty good (Terry, Chester, and Brown)

What about Yanda Charm? I imagine he'd start at guard or OT (if you don't get Gaither)

Hines
07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I think it ends up:

Gaither 4th (Falcons)

Oliver 6th (Titans)

Patrick 7th (Steelers)

Anyways, profootballtalk is saying no player was picked in the first 3 rounds. (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

i would no at all be mad if we got patrick..as stiller been telling us he can and will play guard and will be a good starter to replace fanaca with...

ccB
07-12-2007, 12:47 PM
What about Yanda Charm? I imagine he'd start at guard or OT (if you don't get Gaither)

Yeah I think thats the plan, Yanda at RT, Terry at LT.

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
apparently PFT is saying Oliver in the 4th to San Diego?

EdReedUnstoppable
07-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah I think thats the plan, Yanda at RT, Terry at LT.

If we get Gaither then I think the future would be LT=Terry, RT= Gaither, Yanda would be the main backup at OG and OT.

bored of education
07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Shartttttt

neko4
07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I think the supp draft would be fun to do, its almost like a guessing game, cuz after the 3 or 4th round everyone starts looking around to see if someone makes a move. And if you start getting scared you could make a move on a guy too early, or if you are to relaxed, you could end up allowing the player you wanted to slip through your hands

Hines
07-12-2007, 01:06 PM
damn gaither to ravens
and oliver to chargers

eacantdraft
07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I think the supp draft would be fun to do, its almost like a guessing game, cuz after the 3 or 4th round everyone starts looking around to see if someone makes a move. And if you start getting scared you could make a move on a guy too early, or if you are to relaxed, you could end up allowing the player you wanted to slip through your hands

None of these player warranted a high draft pick. They went exactly where many people thought they would go. Gaithers was not a 1st or 2nd round draft pick despite what the homers and fangirls thought.

scottyboy
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
glad the Giants havent given up a 4th or 5th, even on Gaither. i still have nightmares of a certain supp. draft pick of the Giants...

neko4
07-12-2007, 01:12 PM
None of these player warranted a high draft pick. They went exactly where many people thought they would go. Gaithers was not a 1st or 2nd round draft pick despite what the homers and fangirls thought.
I wasnt talking about the value of the players, Im just expressing what it might be like in a supp draft

Mr. Stiller
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Supp Draft is over... only Gaither and Oliver were selected.

The rest are likely to be signed now.

bored of education
07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
IF, big if, Oliver played and have a solid season and the same numbers at the combine would he be considered the Hughes of the draft by some. I think Oliver would have been a top 3-4 CB, but didn't have the same esteem for Hughes

badgerbacker
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I wasnt talking about the value of the players, Im just expressing what it might be like in a supp draft
Unless I'm mistaken, all the teams bid beforehand on which round they would select a player, so it's not like all the GM's and coaches would be in a room asking if anyone wanted a player each round.