9.Oakland $12.5 million
10.Philadelphia $11.5 million
11.St. Louis $11.5 million
12.New Orleans $11.2 million
13.Seattle $10.5 million
14.N.Y. Jets $10 million

cdf2108
06-30-2007, 10:29 AM
well yeah, but you forget to add that a lot of these teams have rookies who will most likely command large signing bonuses, especially cleveland.

BroadwayJoe10
06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
well they said somethin like the average for rookie cap hits is 4.7 mill roughly. So even with that these teams still have quite the amount of cap space, which is unfortunately gonna lead to a bunch of 2nd tier players gettin huge money next year, which then upsets the top tier players who aren't gettin that money. wait, that sounds familiar...did that happen this year already?

remix 6
06-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Patriots are at over 8 mill. Only Meriweather to sign and Brown as first day guys.

OzTitan
06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Gotta say, even though the Jaguars have only really been middle to upper middle of the pack for a while now, they're cap management is superb. I believe their motto is "backloading is a naughty word", which means their team salary stays even and doesn't jump up one year all of a sudden. That and they are usually very quiet FA players. I guess it puts a stress on drafting well so it's only a good cap system if you're good at that really, which they generally have been, being a playoff contender lately.

Anyway, that's enough of my divisional rival love, just don't think they get enough credit for their cap management.

Jvig43
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Patriots are at over 8 mill. Only Meriweather to sign and Brown as first day guys.

Really? i thought they were around one or two. If thats the case why arent they paying Samuel?

Acreboy
06-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Saints only have Meachem left to sign too.

OzTitan
06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Really? i thought they were around one or two. If thats the case why arent they paying Samuel?

Nothing to do with this year's cap really - more to do with the long term. If they were to get him inked to a new long term deal, it would count a LOT less in 07 than the franchise tag does, so yeah, not a current year cap issue.

So far, the Pats have proven they can do well with mid range DB's at some pretty crucial times, so I guess they don't feel they need to put aside a chunk of their future cap health for a CB.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
06-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Man, San Francisco really used up all of their cap this offseason, huh?

Splat
06-30-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not a fan of the Chiefs GM Carl Peterson but I have to give it to him he really improved our cap this year it was a mess at the end of the season.

Jvig43
06-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Nothing to do with this year's cap really - more to do with the long term. If they were to get him inked to a new long term deal, it would count a LOT less in 07 than the franchise tag does, so yeah, not a current year cap issue.

So far, the Pats have proven they can do well with mid range DB's at some pretty crucial times, so I guess they don't feel they need to put aside a chunk of their future cap health for a CB.

Thanks for the clarrification, i was woundering about that

remix 6
06-30-2007, 12:14 PM

if u have a million dollars in life..do u just go out and spend it all?

he wants more than we've offered..he doesnt even want the franchise tag which is a guranteed $7.9 or w.e mill contract.

u dont overpay at a store because u have more money than the average joe.

plus ASante's franchise tag already counts towards that list so if hes traded..we'll have over $10 million like that article stated.

CC.SD
06-30-2007, 12:36 PM

he wants more than we've offered..he doesnt even want the franchise tag which is a guranteed $7.9 or w.e mill contract.

plus ASante's franchise tag already counts towards that list so if hes traded..we'll have over $10 million like that article stated.

But what else would you rather pay for than a pro bowl caliber corner? I think the Pats front office is trying not to acknowledge the huge jump in contract sizes that Clements has put out there.

keylime_5
06-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Cleveland has a 1st round QB and a #3 overall pick to dish out signing bonuses too. Not to mention a 2nd rounder who will be commanding better money than his slot usually gets since he's got leverage with the whole "should've been a top 15 pick" and the fact that he is a starting CB.

Jvig43
06-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Oh i agree, i dont think that just because we have the money, we should throw it at any player who demands more. i think that if we have a pro bowl caliber player, who hasnt made any real money in his previous contact, wants more money and a longer contract we should give it to him. Hes still young and a little more money and a longer contract would only make the team better

Smooth Criminal
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Steelers have almost no room because they have alot of contracts in their final years like Faneca, Polamalu, Simmons, Starks, Haggans and Colcoulgh. We're supposed to have something like 43 million next year so hopefully we'll use that to get guys like Troy and Ben signed.

Vikes99ej
06-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Vikings= BIG SPENDERS!!!

nvot9
06-30-2007, 01:47 PM
It's amazing how far the Jets have come regarding the cap situation within the last two years.

remix 6
06-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh i agree, i dont think that just because we have the money, we should throw it at any player who demands more. i think that if we have a pro bowl caliber player, who hasnt made any real money in his previous contact, wants more money and a longer contract we should give it to him. Hes still young and a little more money and a longer contract would only make the team better

Law didnt get it. why should Asante?

Asante was our nickel in training camp last year..he started as the #2 CB and didnt play #1 till 9 games into the season.

he did play great and he shines in playoffs but its too early for him wanting to get a 10 mill per year contract

we offered him the average of the top 5 salaries but hes angry. and that tattoo get paid worries me

if we pay him what HE WANTS..then everyone that becomes an FA from Patriots can say..you gave Asante what HE WANTED when you had cap room so why not me?

Xonraider
06-30-2007, 02:37 PM
da Raidaz!!!

Flyboy
06-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Saints only have Meachem left to sign too.

Extremely scary thought.

benchod
06-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Asante wants Clements type money, so there's no way NE will budge and give him anywhere near that much. Supposedly, the signing of Vasher hurts Asante because of comparing market deals, but Asante wants a deal that puts him into the upper tier of CB money.

remix 6
06-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Asante wants Clements type money, so there's no way NE will budge and give him anywhere near that much. Supposedly, the signing of Vasher hurts Asante because of comparing market deals, but Asante wants a deal that puts him into the upper tier of CB money.

Asante's agent says it makes no different what Vasher got :\

what a tard

JT Jag
06-30-2007, 06:10 PM
The Jaguars have a great cap figure, and they only have 4 of their 11 draft picks unsigned.

Considering that 3 of those 4 are the first-day guys, that'll still be a decent amount of bonus money. But the Jaguars have always been prudent with their funds under Shack Harris.

If they ever fall in love with a free-agent, they'll always be able to cash in and acquire him without any real cap ramifications. That's the upside you get when you have a young, deep team with enough talent to consistantly make playoff runs as is.

High Roller
06-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Man, San Francisco really used up all of their cap this offseason, huh?

They just missed the cut off with $9.8 million. Hey, they resigned their franchise back for 4 years I believe and a stud CB. Not to mention two 1st round picks, one being a LT/RT. I'm satisfied.

T-RICH49
06-30-2007, 07:45 PM
ok we have 16 million in cap space but won't use some to sign LJ long term??

BlindSite
06-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Asante's agent says it makes no different what Vasher got :\

what a tard

imo, it doesnt really, Asante's a more complete player.

The Unseen
06-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Gotta say, even though the Jaguars have only really been middle to upper middle of the pack for a while now, they're cap management is superb. I believe their motto is "backloading is a naughty word", which means their team salary stays even and doesn't jump up one year all of a sudden. That and they are usually very quiet FA players. I guess it puts a stress on drafting well so it's only a good cap system if you're good at that really, which they generally have been, being a playoff contender lately.

Anyway, that's enough of my divisional rival love, just don't think they get enough credit for their cap management.

Why thank you.

Backloading is what screwed the Jags' cap in the early 00's, so there's precedent for such a strategy.

drmoyer421
06-30-2007, 09:08 PM
The Bills have a team consistant of 1, thats ONE starter that is over the age of 30. (Peerless Price who will be turning 31 in October) They have a franchise QB and WR whos contract is up in the next two years.

I have a feeling that the Bills are saving wisely because they know that a bunch of thier team will be up for contracts sooner than later. And they like to keep the core nucleus of Levy type guys together for the next 5 years or so.

benchod
06-30-2007, 10:14 PM
ok we have 16 million in cap space but won't use some to sign LJ long term??

He's a 27 going on 28 year old RB who just came off of 400 carries in a season. At 28, its generally said that RB's only have ~3 years of solid production left and for the 4 RB's who had a 400 carry season, their following season and careers were injury plagued. It makes sense from a business standpoint to be weary of giving him a new contract.

But Larry's a unique case because he essentially sat behind Priest for a couple years, so I don't buy much into the age argument. The carries argument kinda works with the age and I think his body will hold up, so there go the major reasons for KC not wanting to give LJ a new contract. The major problem is money, which is always the case, he wants more guaranteed money than LT, and that's the hold up.

They'll get the deal done before the season starts, but there probably will be a holdout that'll affect training camp.

skinzzfan25
06-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Cap? What's a cap?

With Snyder at the helm, the one thing he can do is squeeze under the cap.

Dam8610
07-01-2007, 12:42 AM
well yeah, but you forget to add that a lot of these teams have rookies who will most likely command large signing bonuses, especially cleveland.

Cash over cap and signing bonus amortization are great concepts.

Chief49er
07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
The San Francisco 49ers, who already have locked up starting running back Frank Gore to a contract extension and spent heavily on free-agent cornerback Nate Clements, just missed the $10-million club at $9.8 million.

Man_Of_Steel
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Steelers have almost no room because they have alot of contracts in their final years like Faneca, Polamalu, Simmons, Starks, Haggans and Colcoulgh. We're supposed to have something like 43 million next year so hopefully we'll use that to get guys like Troy and Ben signed.

Troy and Ben are musts.

BlindSite
07-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Am I the only one who wonders if at times an owner with less than scrupulous practices would possibly offer a Free Agent a **** load of money under the table to sign with the team?

Cashmoney
07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
im pretty sure the titans have yet to sign a draft pick which endears me to reinfeldt even more after this strong offseason. (sarcasm)

VY10
07-09-2007, 11:11 PM
haha houston should be on there but we have $30 million in "dead money". WooHOO! charley casserly!

art vandelay
07-09-2007, 11:21 PM
The $21 mil for the Bills is misleading. The Bills have only signed their 7th rounder (CJ Ah You) so far. Plus, they are going to have to shell out big money to extend Lee Evans and JP Losman after this year. It's really good that we are in a good cap situation right now, because in a few years it's going to get tight again.

bearsfan_51
07-09-2007, 11:41 PM
While I don't disagree with the premise of the article, most of those teams will continue to not spend money.

Either way, any GM with a brain knows to lock up as many players as you can with a year or two left on their contracts. I'm not in love with the 5 year-28 million dollar deal that Nathan Vasher got, but it's probably about 2/3 or maybe even half of what he could have commanded in the ridiculous market that will be next offseason.

bearsfan_51
07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
The Bills have a team consistant of 1, thats ONE starter that is over the age of 30. (Peerless Price who will be turning 31 in October) They have a franchise QB and WR whos contract is up in the next two years.

I have a feeling that the Bills are saving wisely because they know that a bunch of thier team will be up for contracts sooner than later. And they like to keep the core nucleus of Levy type guys together for the next 5 years or so.

Plus they are relatively poor. They are one of the lowest revenue generating teams in arguably the smallest (with only New Orleans and Jacksonville in competing) markets, media and otherwise, in the NFL.

The Bills will never be a team that hands out big signing bonuses on a regular basis unless the team moves to Los Angeles, is sold, or both.

Which makes the giant contract given to Derrick Dockery all the more puzzling.

Mr. Stiller
07-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Word has it Pittsburgh should have 34M open after this season.

Could it be destiny to add T-Sizzle?