PDA

View Full Version : UCSC Banana Slugs vs. Texas State Bobcats

draftguru151
12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
This is a college draft. Which team has the better college talent. Nothing to do with NFL talent but how well they play at the college level. Any player that was injured in the first two games are not in this.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/05.29.02/gifs/nuz-0222.gif

QB - Colt McCoy
RB - Kenny Irons
WR - Jeff Samardizja
WR - Desean Jackson
WR - Steve Smith
WR - Percy Harvin
LT - Joe Thomas
OG - Manuel Ramirez
C - Ryan Kalil
OG - Steve Rehring
RT - Levi Brown

DE - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Harrell
DT - Brandon Mebane
DE - Tim Crowder
OLB - Paul Posluzsny
MLB - Ray Maualuga
OLB - Phillip Wheeler
CB - Marcus McCauley
S - Myron Rolle
S - John Wendling
CB - Tarell Brown

http://www.clubbaseball.org/files/texas_state_bobcat.jpg

QB Drew Stanton, Michigan State
WB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
FB Brian Leonard, Rutgers
WB Ian Johnson, Boise State
TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota
SE Chansi Stuckey, Clemson
LT Alex Boone, Ohio State
LG Kasey Studdard, Texas
C Dan Mozes, West Virginia
RG Corey Hilliard, Oklahoma State
RT Chris Messner, Oklahoma

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1121/bd1bj2.gif

RE Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan
NT Amobi Okoye, Louisville
UT Marcus Thomas, ex-Florida
LE Brian Robison, Texas
WLB Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech
ILB Justin Warren, Texas A&M
SLB Keith Rivers, Southern Cal
CB Aaron Ross, Texas
CB Fred Bennett, South Carolina
S Kenny Phillips, Miami
S Tom Zbikowski, Notre Dame

Head Coach: Gene Chizik
http://static.flickr.com/33/51728551_071d42b545_m.jpg

In case it's not obvious, Texas State will be running the triple-option out of the wishbone formation. Drew Stanton is a tough runner who can take a pounding, so I am confident with him as my quarterback. His first option will be to give it to the fullback, Brian Leonard. He can fake that instead and keep it himself. Depending on which side he goes to, he will have the option of pitching it to Adrian Peterson or Ian Johnson. Both are tough, touchdown machines. Matt Spaeth is a great blocker, as well as being very productive catching the ball and won the best tight end award this season. Chansi Stuckey is a burner who will be used to stretch the field occasionally to keep defenses honest, as well as on reverses. My offensive line has 3 of the Big XII's finest as well as a damn good LT in Alex Boone, and the best center in college football Dan Mozes. My defense is led by Justin Warren, a physical specimen and force against the run. He's flanked by Keith Rivers and Xavier Adibi, two physical FREAKS who are always around the ball. My line is perfectly balanced with a great 4-3 nose in Okoye and THE best 4-3 under tackle in Thomas. Bazuin is an elite pass rusher, while Robison is an underrated and well-rounded end in his own right. Aaron Ross is the most polished player out of a talented Texas secondary, and Fred Bennett is often overlooked because of the lack of talent on his defense. Kenny Phillips and Zbi are absolutely killers. Zbi will stay more in the box, but both are flexible enough that I don't need either to be a true free or strong safety.

duckseason
12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I'll take McCoy with that ridiculous 4 receiver set. That team just has better overall talent. I like the secondary of Texas St. though.

Ward
12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
I'll take McCoy with that ridiculous 4 receiver set. That team just has better overall talent. I like the secondary of Texas St. though.

Yeah so he has an advantage with a 4 receiver set, but I have no advantage from running the option? Get over your bias.

duckseason
12-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Yeah so he has an advantage with a 4 receiver set, but I have no advantage from running the option? Get over your bias.

Bias? Just stating my opinion. The other team just looks to have more talent. With that offensive line, and those WR's, the passing game is nearly unstoppable. I like your secondary/overall defense though. I just think his offense outshines yours by more than your defense outshines his. Just a simple opinion on something completely trivial.

Ward
12-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Bias? Just stating my opinion. The other team just looks to have more talent. With that offensive line, and those WR's, the passing game is nearly unstoppable. I like your secondary/overall defense though. I just think his offense outshines yours by more than your defense outshines his. Just a simple opinion on something completely trivial.

There are dozens of teams that run the spread, it's not that big a deal. Teams see it all the time. His offensive line is WASTED by not having a running game to speak of, and McCoy would be a JOKE going against any defense in this competition. Very few teams are prepared for the triple-option, and I have the perfect personnel to run it.

duckseason
12-15-2006, 03:02 PM

There are dozens of teams that run the spread, it's not that big a deal. Teams see it all the time. His offensive line is WASTED by not having a running game to speak of, and McCoy would be a JOKE going against any defense in this competition. Very few teams are prepared for the triple-option, and I have the perfect personnel to run it.

Good for you. So when's the big game? I'm intersested to see if that triple option can keep up with the 50+ points that other team would put up on a weekly basis. How are his tackles being wasted when they're giving McCoy all day to choose which of his 4 stud WR's to throw to? A better question is- why do they need a running game? Oh, and you don't think Irons could gash through a spread out defense? Just chill out man. Are you going to jump all over every person who likes the other team better?

bigrick0016
12-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Ward, yelling at a guy for having an opinion is a dick move. (and yes, I would argue this even if he voted for your team.)

Secondly, you can delete my vote for my team. I'm tired, I clicked on the wrong thread. (that is, unless Ward boted for his team.

Ward
12-15-2006, 03:06 PM

Good for you. So when's the big game? I'm intersested to see if that triple option can keep up with the 50+ points that other team would put up on a weekly basis. How are his tackles being wasted when they're giving McCoy all day to choose which of his 4 stud WR's to throw to? A better question is- why do they need a running game? Oh, and you don't think Irons could gash through a spread out defense? Just chill out man. Are you going to jump all over every person who likes the other team better?

I apologize for defending my team and attempting to persuade people to vote for me. Clearly, that's not what this is about. :roll:

McCoy is garbage compared to any other QB in this league. Stanton isn't the best, but he won't be throwing as much as he does in real life. If you don't understand that we didn't get to draft backups, then I can't help you and every spread team will win. None of us have 3rd or 4th corners. You're giving a spread team an arbitrary advantage because you live in Texas and probably like McCoy.

Ward
12-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Ward, yelling at a guy for having an opinion is a dick move.

Secondly, you can delete my vote for my team. I'm tired, I clicked on the wrong thread. (that is, unless Ward boted for his team.

Can't delete/add votes to polls. It's not an admin/mod power.

bigrick0016
12-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Ward, yelling at a guy for having an opinion is a dick move.

Can't delete/add votes to polls. It's not an admin/mod power.

assume I have 1 less vote then. If we end tied, you can have it. If I win by 1, we're tied. Or, you can just vote for your team and it'll be even

duckseason
12-15-2006, 03:13 PM

I apologize for defending my team and attempting to persuade people to vote for me. Clearly, that's not what this is about. :roll:

McCoy is garbage compared to any other QB in this league. Stanton isn't the best, but he won't be throwing as much as he does in real life. If you don't understand that we didn't get to draft backups, then I can't help you and every spread team will win. None of us have 3rd or 4th corners. You're giving a spread team an arbitrary advantage because you live in Texas and probably like McCoy.

Well, I thought you were the one who lived in Texas, but that is irrelevant. It's cool that you're defending your team, it just kinda seems a bit too fierce. You sounded like you were responding to somebody who was attacking the quality of your team, when in fact I complimented both squads in my initial post. There are things I like about your team, but I just think the other squad would be a tougher matchup for the average college team. My opinion wasn't based on the fact that they run the spread either. It's based on the personnel involved. I just think that team is more talented.

Shane P. Hallam
12-15-2006, 03:51 PM
It is tight, definitely a close game. With Adrian Peterson, Brian Leonard AND Ian Johnson though, that is pretty crazy. It would be really hard to defend all three, and I'm not exactly sure about the Slugs upfront. That being said, the O-lines for the Slugs is really good in comparison to Texas State. Both defenses are pretty good, and Texas State definitely has the secondary to keep up, and the DTs to keep Irons in definite check. I give a slight slight edge to texas State based on the running talent (combined with Spaeth,) as well as me thinking that the Slugs would be a bit one dimensional passing the football. I'm not a huge Irons fan, so that may have swayed me. It's tight, I like Ward and Rick/Sarf a lot though, both had good drafts.

Ward
12-15-2006, 08:01 PM
With Adrian Peterson, Brian Leonard AND Ian Johnson though, that is pretty crazy. It would be really hard to defend all three

Technically 4 since Stanton is the second option to run. The progression is this:

1: Stanton decides to keep or give to Leonard
2: If he keeps, he runs it himself
3: Depending on which side he goes to he'll have the third option to pitch it to either 24 TD Ian Johnson or "All Day" Adrian Peterson.

That is the basic play that our offense would use. Now of course you have the occasional option pass to Spaeth or Stuckey, reverse to Stuckey, etc. But that is basically what we're running all the time. It's why Navy is still competitive, because most teams have no clue how to defend it.

draftguru151
12-15-2006, 08:59 PM
With Adrian Peterson, Brian Leonard AND Ian Johnson though, that is pretty crazy. It would be really hard to defend all three

Technically 4 since Stanton is the second option to run. The progression is this:

1: Stanton decides to keep or give to Leonard
2: If he keeps, he runs it himself
3: Depending on which side he goes to he'll have the third option to pitch it to either 24 TD Ian Johnson or "All Day" Adrian Peterson.

That is the basic play that our offense would use. Now of course you have the occasional option pass to Spaeth or Stuckey, reverse to Stuckey, etc. But that is basically what we're running all the time. It's why Navy is still competitive, because most teams have no clue how to defend it.

I'm bamboozled just thinking about it.

Dave
12-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Edge To Ward -

Ward's defense has enough power to keep that offense in check, honestly lemme guess, you're gonna pass it; i'm right aren't I ? One dimensional offenses get destroied by phoenominal defenses (for phoenominal defenses see above defense of Ward). Ward has two of the premier safety's at the collegiate level, and the best corner also. Not that Slug's o-line is bad, but if they're going to be seeing aggressive blitzes from smart football players, it's not going to be an easy game. Not to down Slug's D, it's decent, but the only bright spot is his secondary, and I don't see him being able to stop the triple-option, at all. Brian Leonard + Adrian Peterson = headache.

draftguru151
12-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Edge To Ward -

Ward's defense has enough power to keep that offense in check, honestly lemme guess, you're gonna pass it; i'm right aren't I ? One dimensional offenses get destroied by phoenominal defenses (for phoenominal defenses see above defense of Ward). Ward has two of the premier safety's at the collegiate level, and the best corner also. Not that Slug's o-line is bad, but if they're going to be seeing aggressive blitzes from smart football players, it's not going to be an easy game. Not to down Slug's D, it's decent, but the only bright spot is his secondary, and I don't see him being able to stop the triple-option, at all. Brian Leonard + Adrian Peterson = headache.

No bias though. :lol:

Nerv
12-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Stanton is an ok runner, I wouldnt have picked him to be the main guy in a heavy run oriented offense, he is more of a spread offense gun slinger type QB who has enough athleticism to make plays on a spread field, better passer than rusher for sure. I think he would fit in better with the Slugs offense to be honest.

Shane P. Hallam
12-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Stanton is an ok runner, I wouldnt have picked him to be the main guy in a heavy run oriented offense, he is more of a spread offense gun slinger type QB who has enough athleticism to make plays on a spread field, better passer than rusher for sure. I think he would fit in better with the Slugs offense to be honest.

The problem is finding a QB that can hold up against the option nowadays...

draftguru151
12-16-2006, 12:26 PM

IMO Pat White might have made more sense, but he is more of a finesse runner than a power guy that would work in this offense.

Shane P. Hallam
12-16-2006, 12:28 PM

IMO Pat White might have made more sense, but he is more of a finesse runner than a power guy that would work in this offense.

White would DIE in an option offense, too small.

snuff
12-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin vs Tom Z? Ill take the WRs 110% of the time...

That O-line would give them tons of time vs that D-line.

I would like to hear about the IQ of Marcus Thomas also, how is he so smart when he can't even stay on a team?

Ward
12-16-2006, 01:54 PM

White would DIE in an option offense, too small.

Exactly. You'd be wrong if you think I didn't consider White. The problem is that White is a tiny man. Stanton has a much thicker frame. In a triple option, the QB is the second option on every single play, so he's gotta be able to take a beating. I'm not so sure White could.

draftguru151
12-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Texas State wins!

bigrick0016
12-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Edge To Ward -

It's incredible that you felt the need to do that

Ward
12-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Edge To Ward -

It's incredible that you felt the need to do that

He's a good brother.