PDA

View Full Version : Spread Option vs. Pro Style in CFB.

Jericho@SC
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
If you had a choice between your school running a Spread Option offense by Urban Meyer, or a pro style offense by Norm Chow, which would you rather have?

Vince Young, Urban Meyer and West Virginia have certainly changed college football the last couple years. Personally I think the Spread Option is a work of genius, and would be scared if USC ever had to face a real good team with it.

But the greatest offense of all time still was a Pro Style Offense with a drop back QB. For my tastes, I'd take a Pro Style Offense because it's easier to run out of (no shotgun running) and the QB isn't at risk to get hurt. It's also more aesthetically pleasing to me to have a Peyton Manning-esque pocket passer than a Michael Vick type QB.

Post your reasons why.

Acreboy
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Pro style O

reese
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
spread option

mqtirishfan
07-01-2007, 07:23 PM
At the college level, I'd choose the spread offense. The option is dangerous in college football and easier to run, IMO. A QB does not have to deal with as many reads and can focus more on the play. A lot of the best teams in college football history have been option teams and Urban Meyer is showing how it can dominate college football today.

Also, I don't think VY, Meyer and WVU have changed college football. Tommy Frazier and the Cornhuskers were better at the option than WVU is. The option has been around as long as the game has. The oldest offenses in football are built around the person getting the snap being able to run the ball or hand it to another back. The single wing for instance is similar to the current day spread offense in that sense.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-01-2007, 07:27 PM
As good as a spread option is, it has it's flaws if the running game starts getting stuffed. The QB isn't as polished of a passer most of the time, so if you can stop the run game(which is very hard though), the offense suffers. I'll take the Pro-Style offense, and Norm Chow(who I think is an offensive Genius only behind CW). Although it's a little harder to run, there are more options than just a bootleg on 1st down and stuff.

Jericho@SC
07-01-2007, 07:40 PM
At the college level, I'd choose the spread offense. The option is dangerous in college football and easier to run, IMO. A QB does not have to deal with as many reads and can focus more on the play. A lot of the best teams in college football history have been option teams and Urban Meyer is showing how it can dominate college football today.

Also, I don't think VY, Meyer and WVU have changed college football. Tommy Frazier and the Cornhuskers were better at the option than WVU is. The option has been around as long as the game has. The oldest offenses in football are built around the person getting the snap being able to run the ball or hand it to another back. The single wing for instance is similar to the current day spread offense in that sense.

I know that Nebraska was a great option team, but the spread option is a little different. I combines the option with a wide open shotgun formation with 4-5 WR sets. I don't recall the Huskers going into 4 wide sets. Anyway, I think it's a big difference as it's even more dangerous as an offense because of the passing element. The way Florida's recruiting WR's these days, how would you defend Tim Tebow and say, Darrell Scott in the backfield while trying to cover Percy Harvin, Deonte Thompson, Dallas Baker, Andre Caldwell and Aaron Hernandez?

scottyboy
07-01-2007, 07:42 PM
psssh i'd much rather have a D by Greg Schiano

YAYareaRB
07-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I like the spread option. It spreads out the defense but throws them off guard when you hit them with the option. Doesn't produce much pro QBs but it does produce wins.

Sniper
07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
As good as a spread option is, it has it's flaws if the running game starts getting stuffed. The QB isn't as polished of a passer most of the time, so if you can stop the run game(which is very hard though), the offense suffers. I'll take the Pro-Style offense, and Norm Chow(who I think is an offensive Genius only behind CW). Although it's a little harder to run, there are more options than just a bootleg on 1st down and stuff.

Come on bud. Norm Chow SMOKES Charlie Weis as an offensive mind. Weis and the Irish looked like Pop Warner players vs. the only decent teams they played both offensively and defensively. USC was dropping 40-50 points on everyone they played with Chow there.

In response to the actual question, Pro Style is the way I like to go. I prefer less gimmicks in my offense (though some are nice). I prefer smashmouth football and twin TE sets and such over the spread just because for me, it's easier to fool someone with playaction and I find it's better for the running game.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Come on bud. Norm Chow SMOKES Charlie Weis as an offensive mind. Weis and the Irish looked like Pop Warner players vs. the only decent teams they played both offensively and defensively. USC was dropping 40-50 points on everyone they played with Chow there.

In response to the actual question, Pro Style is the way I like to go. I prefer less gimmicks in my offense (though some are nice). I prefer smashmouth football and twin TE sets and such over the spread just because for me, it's easier to fool someone with playaction and I find it's better for the running game.

Hey man, I'm biased.

Sniper
07-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey man, I'm biased.

Homerism is not a crime. I just felt compelled to defend Chow who is probably one of the greatest offensive minds in recent years.

Jericho@SC
07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Is defending a play action really harder to read than say, a Vince Young zone-read play?

That's where I think the Spread Option gets really tricky. You have the option for all these fake handoffs after which you can run with the ball yourself and if you're about to get tackled, you can pitch it.

Jericho@SC
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Charlie Weiss:

Tom Brady
Brady Quinn

Norm Chow:

Steve Young
Ty Detmer
Jim McMahon
Carson Palmer
Matt Leinart

Sniper
07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Is defending a play action really harder to read than say, a Vince Young zone-read play?

That's where I think the Spread Option gets really tricky. You have the option for all these fake handoffs after which you can run with the ball yourself and if you're about to get tackled, you can pitch it.

You're right, but how many QBs are 6'5 230 pounds and can run around a 4.5 and have like 4.3 game speed? For example, I'd take Michigan's O this year over WVU because you're going to have to respect Mike Hart, one of the best RB in the country AND respect Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington and Chad Henne who both rank at the top of their respective positions, not to mention the best lineman in America in Jake Long. While WVU may have the sickest triple option in the history of NCAA with White, Slaton and Devine, if you stop the run, who do they have to throw it to? Darius Reynaud? No offense but he's not Manningham. The problem with the spread is that at times it can get too one-dimensional. Texas had a perfect situation though with Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, Limas Sweed, Billy Pittman and Ramonce Taylor. That's one of the reason they averaged the most points in the country. Sure, VY is a dynamic runner but he was also able to have targets like Sweed, Pittman and TE David Thomas. That's about as perfect as you can ask for in that style of offense. Then again, you could make a case for USC's more traditional offense with Leinart, Bush, White, Jarrett, Smith, Byrd etc... So there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to college, it's whatever you like.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
You're right, but how many QBs are 6'5 230 pounds and can run around a 4.5 and have like 4.3 game speed? For example, I'd take Michigan's O this year over WVU because you're going to have to respect Mike Hart, one of the best RB in the country AND respect Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington and Chad Henne who both rank at the top of their respective positions, not to mention the best lineman in America in Jake Long. While WVU may have the sickest triple option in the history of NCAA with White, Slaton and Devine, if you stop the run, who do they have to throw it to? Darius Reynaud? No offense but he's not Manningham. The problem with the spread is that at times it can get too one-dimensional. Texas had a perfect situation though with Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, Limas Sweed, Billy Pittman and Ramonce Taylor. That's one of the reason they averaged the most points in the country. Sure, VY is a dynamic runner but he was also able to have targets like Sweed, Pittman and TE David Thomas. That's about as perfect as you can ask for in that style of offense. Then again, you could make a case for USC's more traditional offense with Leinart, Bush, White, Jarrett, Smith, Byrd etc... So there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to college, it's whatever you like.

Ya, that was my point exactly.

OhioState
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
i took the spread because i think that it is easier to run and understand at the college level. I think that the spread allows an offense more options and can confuse the D more because of the QB's better ability to run while still being able to pass.

kwilk103
07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
spread o--it can be a running offense like wvu has now, but rodriguez has made it fit his qb--at tulane it was a passing o and at clemson it was 50-50

Zyro_1014
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Why do you guys think that Chris Leak didnt do well in Meyers offense? if u think about it he seemed like a perfect fit for that. Could run, and was an excellent passer.

draftguru151
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Leak really isn't that good of a runner. He could move, but he was a pro style QB in a gimmicky offense.

Jericho@SC
07-02-2007, 02:59 PM
So I take it that Meyer is gonna have Newton be the "bulldozing" QB this year? What happens if Newton goes down, does Tebow do both the running and the passing? Pretty risky IMO. But they're both big boys on the other hand.

Race for the Heisman
07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
So I take it that Meyer is gonna have Newton be the "bulldozing" QB this year? What happens if Newton goes down, does Tebow do both the running and the passing? Pretty risky IMO. But they're both big boys on the other hand.

They'd still have John Brantley.

Michigan
07-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Pro Style hands down.

jbeans187
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Spread Option is my favorite offense to watch

07-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Pro style easy. It gets you're Superstar Players ready for the Pros and plus the Pro Offense is just better.

princefielder28
07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I went Pro Style

TouchdownUSC
07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
i think it depends on what players you are working with too but if i had to chose one for my team i would pick Pro style offense. i think the option can be more fun to watch in college football but i trust a good pro style offense more

VY10
07-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Spread Option for college. It is more fun to watch and with a good quarterback it can be really hard to stop.

LonghornsLegend
07-05-2007, 12:27 AM
i really think its a pick your poison type thing, both offenses ive seen run well in past years, USC and Texas are good examples...pro style tends to have players(not only the QB) more NFL ready, where as it seems the spread always has to have its players adjust...

But I guess id say Spread is more dangerous with the right weapons, then pro style with the right weapons...its been proven its almost impossible to defend a qb who can run and throw well, especially if the offense is confusing leaving the defense flat footed...pro style has the play action yes, but not many gimmicks, when its a pass its a pass, in the spread plays start like runs then turn into passes, or vice versa, and i feel like with lesser talent you can do wonders with the spread, ala Utah (alex smith, urban meyer)

I feel like you cannot have a decent team, let them run the pro style offense and have a great year, where as you can have them run the spread and regardless of talent id say the chances would be greater for them to win more games

TigerBait45
07-05-2007, 12:35 AM
The Spread is way more fun to watch, but I have to go Norm Chow style pro offense here. Look at the numbers those USC teams he had recently put up. I was hoping the Titans drafted Lineart just to see him back in that offense.

If I were running a spread, though..Randy Walker's would be hard to say no to, God rest his soul.