PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think are the chances of the Giants drafting a QB next year?

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
07-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Just wondering what you guys thought?

I think there is absolutely no chance we go QB in round 1 or 2, but what do you guys think of the chances of the Giants possibly drafting a QB after then?

Eli may just do enough to be the starter again in '08, but Jerry Reese said recently that right now Eli is not where he wanted him to be, and while the Giants keep Eli on the field due to trying to keep faith in him due to all the draft picks we spent on him, I think we may well draft a QB next year and groom him while Eli tries to prove he is worth the starting position and maybe it would be a message from the front office to tell him that we drafted this guy with the future in mind and to alert you your position is not safeas you've cost this franchise a lot of draft pick over the years and underachieved so if you don't play upto expectations,we need to have someone ready to take over should he fail.

What do you guys think? Also what QBs could you possibly see going around the 3rd and 4th round next year?

You could maybe compare it to Buffalo drafting Trent Edwards, but more critical!

princefielder28
07-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Sam Keller could be a 3rd round QB that could develop into a solid NFL QB

bored of education
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Losman is GODLY compared to Eli.

OhioState
07-02-2007, 11:53 AM
i think that if Eli doesn't do something this year that shows he can make good decisions and be consistent then they may look for a project late day one.

tEk
07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Eli is perfectly capable of being an NFL QB. We have seen him lead his team to 2:00 minute drill comebacks this shows he has the mental edge and all of the physical skills to get the job done. Though at other times he look lost out there and throws for less than 50yds total and 3 ints. I'm not saying hes great or anything but he certainly has the makings of what it takes. All he really needs is Fassel back as a QB coach or hell anybody other than the old coot that we've got now.

Now if he doesn't preform this year they will definitely be looking QB. Not in the First 2-3 rounds though because that would show the lack of thought for trading away 2 drafts for a lousy player, not to mention a great one(p. rivers). So look for a guy that falls out of the mix and the g-men will probably take a stab in to the proverbial pot again.

Shiver
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
The Giants have made too big of an investment to give up on Eli Manning. Quite frankly they are stuck with him, for better or for worse.

Damix
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Eli has shown he has the skill to make it. Consistency is his only problem right now, which is a problem with a lot of QBs in this league. BBD will tell you he won't flourish unless TC changes his downfield game plan. I agree to a point, he'll never have a high QB rating in his current system because too many throws are not exactly high%. If he starts dumping it off more, I'm not exactly sure if the coaches will be happy with him.

I'd expect more of the same of last year, with a little more improvement. A small raise of his completion % and TD totals, with a small drop in INTs.

To answer your question 0% they take any QB unless your looking at a 6-7th round project.

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
He's here for another 2 years at least. If he has a bad year, the coaching staff goes. If he has another bad year with a new coaching staff, He's gone.

Eli is a different player in the begining of the year than he is at the end. The past two seasons he has started out strong, then faded. I used to think that it's because he's a southern boy and can't handle the cold, but that would be too simple. The blaim has to be spread around. Eli deserves some, But no all the blaim. Bad reciever play, injuries, playcalling had a lot to do with Eli's downfall towards the end of last year.

reese
07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
i thnk eli will be fine. do they still have lorenzen?

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
i thnk eli will be fine. do they still have lorenzen?
Yessir. And we have an opening at fullback. I hope our coaches can put two and two together. :)

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Eli is a huge investment. He has a huge contract, was the goal of a risky trade, and the hopes of that franchise for at least another 2 or 3 years rests with him.

He'd have to have an awful year both on and off the field for them to flat out ditch him. A late 1st quarterback wouldn't out of the question, but I don't think the Giants want to damage that kid's confidence anymore than it already has been.

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Eli is a huge investment. He has a huge contract, was the goal of a risky trade, and the hopes of that franchise for at least another 2 or 3 years rests with him.

He'd have to have an awful year both on and off the field for them to flat out ditch him. A late 1st quarterback wouldn't out of the question, but I don't think the Giants want to damage that kid's confidence anymore than it already has been.
I believe he's on the 50 highest paid athletes list.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I believe he's on the 50 highest paid athletes list.

And it goes deeper than that. If the Giants dump him, they are probably prematurely admitting massive failure. There's pride among NFL general managers, and I can't see them dumping Eli Manning this soon.

Look at how long teams typically hold onto first round quarterbacks, and most of those players weren't as sought after hard as the Giants sought after Eli.

Acreboy
07-02-2007, 04:03 PM
And it goes deeper than that. If the Giants dump him, they are probably prematurely admitting massive failure. There's pride among NFL general managers, and I can't see them dumping Eli Manning this soon.

Look at how long teams typically hold onto first round quarterbacks, and most of those players weren't as sought after hard as the Giants sought after Eli.JP Lossman comes to mind..

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
JP Lossman comes to mind..

How so? Losman didn't play his first year, showed flashes in his second, and had a damn fine year in his third.

The Browns held onto Couch for 5 years, as did the Texans with Carr. The Bengals held onto Smith for 4 years, and those 4 years were absolutely putrid.

Unless Manning goes out and does something terrible off the field or regresses majorly on the field, I think he's safe for at least another 2 seasons. He may never be awesome, but he'll probably be above average.

Acreboy
07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
How so? Losman didn't play his first year, showed flashes in his second, and had a damn fine year in his third.

The Browns held onto Couch for 5 years, as did the Texans with Carr. The Bengals held onto Smith for 4 years, and those 4 years were absolutely putrid.

Unless Manning goes out and does something terrible off the field or regresses majorly on the field, I think he's safe for at least another 2 seasons. He may never be awesome, but he'll probably be above average.Losman just seems like a career backup and Evans helped bail him out last year.

Carr is a decent QB when he's not on his back.

I agree though, Manning isn't going anywhere.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Losman just seems like a career backup and Evans helped bail him out last year.

I'm interested in how you reached this conclusion. Evans definitely helped Losman, but all good quarterbacks are helped by their wideouts. The guy had his first full season last year and was nothing short of very impressive. Certainly more so than Eli has ever been.

BufFan71
07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
acre boy, u mean to say that the great plays losman made last year were b/c of Evans?

they've always had good chemistry together

Losman (with an improved o-line will only get better and build off the pretty good season he had)

as for Eli

i dont think their ready to give up yet,but they actually might want to, only thing stopping them is their pride, and not wanting to admit they made a bad move to take Eli

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm interested in how you reached this conclusion. Evans definitely helped Losman, but all good quarterbacks are helped by their wideouts. The guy had his first full season last year and was nothing short of very impressive. Certainly more so than Eli has ever been.
In Losman's defense. He had Evans, but nobody beyond that.

Acreboy
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm interested in how you reached this conclusion. Evans definitely helped Losman, but all good quarterbacks are helped by their wideouts. The guy had his first full season last year and was nothing short of very impressive. Certainly more so than Eli has ever been.I'm not going to argue that.

TD/INT

19/14

A little less than impressive..

Don't get me wrong, he's from Tulane, i'm from Louisiana. I always want to see someone from my house succeed. I hope he does but he's just been average at best these past few years.

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Eli went 24/18 last year with 3200 yards.

Acreboy
07-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Eli went 24/18 last year with 3200 yards.Again, not that good.

Yards are overrated. Kitna had over 4k.

BufFan71
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
since we are going by stats.....

losman-3,051 yds 19td 14int 63%completion 84.9 rating 7.11 ypa
Manning- 3,2244yds 24 td 18int 58%completion 77.0 rating 6.21 ypa

losman had 429 attempts
Manning- 522.....

losman= no running game, horrible offensive line, AFC
Mannig= Tiki Barber,solid run game, decent o-line, NCF

yeah..losman has more potential, and has showed more promise then eli
Buffalo also had the hardest schedule in the NFL

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Eli went 24/18 last year with 3200 yards.

Considering the talent he had around him and what we've invested in him hes under achieved badly.

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, Eli has underachieved, but don't be fooled into thinking that he has tons of talent around him. We had no depth at WR last year and once Toomer went down, so did Eli. I expect it to be different this year. He will have more options this year in Sinorice Moss, Steve Smith and possibly Kevin Boss. If Eli does stink it up again, I might jump off the bandwagon. But, I'm predicting a good year for him in '07, and possibly a probowl selection.

Moses
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes, Eli has underachieved, but don't be fooled into thinking that he has tons of talent around him. We had no depth at WR last year and once Toomer went down, so did Eli. I expect it to be different this year. He will have more options this year in Sinorice Moss, Steve Smith and possibly Kevin Boss. If Eli does stink it up again, I might jump off the bandwagon. But, I'm predicting a good year for him in '07, and possibly a probowl selection.

Nothing like hanging all your hopes on two unproven wide receivers.

ricky bobby
07-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Nothing like hanging all your hopes on two unproven wide receivers.
Here are the stats of Tim Carter, our #3 and later our #2 WR when Toomer went down...

For the 2006 season - 22 Receptions 253 yards 2 TDs.

If one of those two guys beat those stats, which will be extremely simple, Eli will be much better off.

BufFan71
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Price: 49 402yds 3td
Reed:34 410yds 2td
Parrish: 23 320yds 2td

stats of our number 2....
and our 3...(reed got hurt)

Jonny
07-03-2007, 12:26 AM
The Giants won't do anything. Manning will put it together. He's underrated at this point.

bored of education
07-03-2007, 06:38 AM
BufFan71 is killing it!.!.!

Complaints about injuries and guys not stepping up is a sign that something else maybe wrong.

BufFan71
07-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Here are the stats of Tim Carter, our #3 and later our #2 WR when Toomer went down...

For the 2006 season - 22 Receptions 253 yards 2 TDs.

If one of those two guys beat those stats, which will be extremely simple, Eli will be much better off.

reread that....
looks like someone else is talking abot injuries too
and about people not stepping up.

cardsalltheway
07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
since we are going by stats.....

losman-3,051 yds 19td 14int 63%completion 84.9 rating 7.11 ypa
Manning- 3,2244yds 24 td 18int 58%completion 77.0 rating 6.21 ypa

losman had 429 attempts
Manning- 522.....

losman= no running game, horrible offensive line, AFC
Mannig= Tiki Barber,solid run game, decent o-line, NCF

yeah..losman has more potential, and has showed more promise then eli
Buffalo also had the hardest schedule in the NFL

Losman definitely has played better than Eli so far, but he doesn't have more potential. Eli Manning has everything you look for in your quarterback, including the last name. He just has yet to put it all together.

BufFan71
07-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Losman has a cannon for an arm...... eli's is nowhere near as strong
hes got mobility- immobility is another word for Manning
hes a fireiry leader- eli manning always has that sad face on during games

so wat does Manning have over Losman besides the last name????

BufFan71
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/11/21/mailbag/p1_manning_eli_si.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/12/20/losman.jpg

Geo
07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I still like Eli a grand deal. What's key for him is who the head coach, offensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach will be in 2008: Jerry Reese will be doing the future of the Giants franchise a disservice if he doesn't part ways with Coughlin, his pitiful lack of composure, and his staff after this season.

You can't stress the value of consistent, quality coaching in this league enough imo.

Edit: Look at Losman, the Bills dumped Mike "My offense and decision-making is" Mularkey and replaced him with head coach Dick Jauron and offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. Lo and behold, the franchise improved, the offense improved, and the young franchise quarterback looks the part.

PS. Losman's arm is ridiculous, btw. What a cannon.

BufFan71
07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
i think Coughlin needs to go.......and many people will agree with that

HoopsDemon12
07-05-2007, 03:28 PM
the giants gave up to much to get that guy... they wont give up on him this early... maybe the year after

cardsalltheway
07-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Losman has a cannon for an arm...... eli's is nowhere near as strong
hes got mobility- immobility is another word for Manning
hes a fireiry leader- eli manning always has that sad face on during games

so wat does Manning have over Losman besides the last name????

As far as a prospect, which is where I'm drawing the whole potential thing from, Eli has/had everything. He is a very good leader, great size, puts a good touch on the ball, evades pressure well and even though his arm isn't in the same league as Losman's, he has pretty good arm strength. He has flashed all of these skills during his NFL days, he just needs to become more consistent (a point that has been beaten to death in Eli threads) and he could be great.

CC.SD
07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
As far as a prospect, which is where I'm drawing the whole potential thing from, Eli has/had everything. He is a very good leader, great size, puts a good touch on the ball, evades pressure well and even though his arm isn't in the same league as Losman's, he has pretty good arm strength. He has flashed all of these skills during his NFL days, he just needs to become more consistent (a point that has been beaten to death in Eli threads) and he could be great.

He's not a prospect anymore, this is year 4 coming up. Eli's on the hot seat; I read on another board that because Eli was picked number 1, and the Giants only had the rookie pool money of the 4th pick, a choice about whether or not to do a deal or let him go might have to come a bit sooner than usual. Makes sense to me.

cardsalltheway
07-05-2007, 04:18 PM
He's not a prospect anymore, this is year 4 coming up. Eli's on the hot seat; I read on another board that because Eli was picked number 1, and the Giants only had the rookie pool money of the 4th pick, a choice about whether or not to do a deal or let him go might have to come a bit sooner than usual. Makes sense to me.

I'm not saying he is, nor am I saying that he doesn't have a lot of pressure on him this year. But Eli was known to have a ton of potential entering the draft and he has definitely shown that potential at quite a few points in his career. The question is whether he can finally become more consistent; we shall see if he does.

simms2clayton
07-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Fact of the matter is the Giants are going to lose more than 9 games next season. They don't have the OL to push back the LOS.

Shiver
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Fact of the matter is the Giants are going to lose more than 9 games next season. They don't have the OL to push back the LOS.

I can't wait until Ricky Bobby adds this to his ever growing sig quotes.

scottyboy
07-05-2007, 04:47 PM

have fun with Luke's false starts and back issues!! :)

especially if you play in Seattle, thats his favorite...

ricky bobby
07-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I can't wait until Ricky Bobby adds this to his ever growing sig quotes.
I'm not even going to bother at this point.

SuperKevin
07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I think the Giants would be dumb not to take a QB somewhere in Day 1 next year. I think their Day 1 should be two OL and a QB

Geo
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm surprised at some of those quotes Ricky Bobby has in his sig: not sniffing .500? Top 5 pick? I don't agree at all with either of those predictions.

HoopsDemon12
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised at some of those quotes Ricky Bobby has in his sig: not sniffing .500? Top 5 pick? I don't agree at all with either of those predictions.

top 3 pick?;)