PDA

View Full Version : Battle for starting G spots

Ravens1991
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Here is a article about it http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=13006

It sounds like starting out the season Brown and Chester will be the guards, I hope one of the can move to C so Grubbs can get some playing time this year.

America
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah, if either Chester or Brown became comfortable at C, we'd be in good shape. Our G depth is crazy right now, so it'd be good if one became primarily a C, preferably Chester because Brown has already settled into the LG spot.

What do yall think will happen with Vincent. With Grubbs, Chester, Brown, Vincent, Rimpf and Yanda, one probably will have to go. Vincent has got a sizable contract, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him who left.

Ravens1991
07-02-2007, 03:17 PM
we might cut him but from the sound of the article he is working hard so we may not cut him, but from his past 2 seasons of play we couldnt get anything for him w/ a trade. I think we will keep him around for competition.

jkpigskin
07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
i woulda tried to trade vincent on draft day for a low pick...
dont see him being a factor after this season and this season is doubtful

EdReedUnstoppable
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Why does everyone keep saying Vincent has a sizeable contract, he really doesn't.

ccB
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
If we have 2 young guards both expected to start why on earth did we draft Ben Grubbs.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
If we have 2 young guards both expected to start why on earth did we draft Ben Grubbs.

Interesting question indeed. Answer is that they expect Chester to move to C, and because Grubbs was our BPA at the time, although I don't know how we could have him rated higher than Alan Branch, Chris Houston, Paul Posluszny, Justin Blalock, Tony Ugoh, and other guys who went just after Grubbbs.

Ravens1991
07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

yea I am wondering the same thing, and what pissed me off was when the reason Vincent was bad these past 2 years was because of injuries and he decides to work his ass of after we spend a 1st on a RG. I guess Chester is our C of the future, it sounds like he bulked up but still has his great athletic ability which is great. I all along was expecting Grubbs to start from day 1.

Ravens1991
07-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Interesting question indeed. Answer is that they expect Chester to move to C, and because Grubbs was our BPA at the time, although I don't know how we could have him rated higher than Alan Branch, Chris Houston, Paul Posluszny, Justin Blalock, Tony Ugoh, and other guys who went just after Grubbbs.

Grubbs >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blaylock IMO.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Grubbs >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blaylock IMO.

Well thats ok every argument needs someone who is wrong. :)

I look at some of the players taken right after him and there are so many other players I would have rather had.

mikehop05
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
hahah you said g-spot

ah man

thats grand.

ccB
07-02-2007, 06:59 PM
We shoulda took Chris Houston.

Ravens1991
07-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt have minded Chris Houston because it sounds like our 1st round pick is gonna be 3rd string at seasons start and Houston probably at least would have been nickel back. Possibly Billick is just trying to push Grubbs to work his ass off.

America
07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I wish we would have traded down and picked up some dlineman. Although two of my favorites, Tank Tyler and Charles Johnson weren't picked till the 3rd.

BigDawg819
07-03-2007, 12:06 AM
We shoulda took Chris Houston.

Amen to that. But hey shoring up the o line is never a bad thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Opening Day line was JO, Brown, Flynn, Vincent, and Terry, with Chester and Grubbs taking over later or just rotated.

BigDawg819
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I wouldnt have minded Chris Houston because it sounds like our 1st round pick is gonna be 3rd string at seasons start and Houston probably at least would have been nickel back. Possibly Billick is just trying to push Grubbs to work his ass off.

First of all, a first round pick shouldn't need the head coach to push him to work his ass off and secondly, Corey Ivy pretty much is locked into that nickel spot and rightfully so based on his play last year. Although I would like to see Pittman give him a run for his money in training camp.

Ravens1991
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
true about 1st round picks, either way Houston would get more playing time then Grubbs, I think Grubbs will be a good player in the long run, either him or Houston wouldnt have been a bad pick up

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Have you guys hit the G Spot yet???

America
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
still wish we had traded down.

on another note, does anyone think that Yanda can start at RT down the line.

America
07-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Have you guys hit the G Spot yet???

Actually, in Houston, we call Galveston the G Spot, and I have been there this summer.

Ravens1991
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM

I think we drafted him for that role not sure though.

BigDawg819
07-03-2007, 02:34 PM

I think so, Terry will be the RT this year and possibly next but as soon as JO retires Terry moves back to LT and I think then Yanda moves in as the RT. Unless we draft a RT in the next draft in a high round but I wouldn't see it happening but then again I thought we were going to nab Houston or Kalil so who knows.

America
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, he's listed as a guard/tackle. Scott doesn't think he should play T in the pro's, although I think he can pull it off. He's pretty athletic, but needs to get stronger. I think he's got the pass pro skills to stay outside.

America
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I think so, Terry will be the RT this year and possibly next but as soon as JO retires Terry moves back to LT and I think then Yanda moves in as the RT. Unless we draft a RT in the next draft in a high round but I wouldn't see it happening but then again I thought we were going to nab Houston or Kalil so who knows.

If we do intend to keep him at RT, that almost nearly eliminates any chance of getting Jared Gaither. But there still is a possibility if we're looking into the way way future, which he would fit well into.

LT - Terry/Gaither
LG - Brown/Yanda/Rimpf
C - Chester/Brown
RG - Grubbs/Yanda/Rimpf
RT - Yanda/Gaither

Down the road, Ogden and Flynn will retire, and Vincent's contract will be up. If we get Gaither, he can develop till then, be the swing tackle and then if we loose one of the guys to FA he can step in. Say we loose Terry, he is replaced. Same with Yanda. If we loose Brown, Yanda takes his spot, Gaither goes to RT. If we loose Chester, Brown goes to C, Yanda to LG and Gaither to RT. I kinda did a complete 180 during this post. Whatever, it'd be sweet to get Gaither.

Ravens1991
07-03-2007, 11:48 PM
that is a beastly young line. What do you all think the chances are that we keep Terry at RT, use Yanda for depth and get a high round LT? I am not saying it should happen but how would everybody feel if that does happen?

America
07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I personally wouldn't like it that much. Terry is a pure LT, and he can really shine there. He was a 2nd rounder, but we gave even more than that up for him(trade with Pats), so for the cost, I think he should stay at LT. We have so much youth on the line, it is time we invest some premier picks on other areas(defensive line, secondary). Plus we spent a 3rd on Yanda, and gave up every non compensatory day 2 pick in the draft to get that pick. He needs to be given the chance to start.

scar988
07-04-2007, 12:03 AM
this topic title makes me giggle.

Ravens1991
07-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I didnt try to put it up like that I was just using abbreviations :) lol

mikedoobie
07-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Terry is the future at LT and will be there after next season and as america said he is much better suited ther no matter where he was drafted or what we gave up, he is a natural LT. Brown has the LG spot locked up, Chesters Future is at C as Ozzie, Billick and DeCosta have countlessly stated, that leaves LG for Grubbs who will take it over with time as Chester will prolly start there this year and while both he and Grubbs mature and learn the offense he will be able to take over the important spot at C while at this time Grubbs should be ready to step in at LG..at RT we have a possibility in Yanda he has all the qualities and is a technician but his arms are short and he may have difficulties with speed rushers and keeping seperation at T,,but the coaching staff will see if they are comfortable with him there in the upcoming years...needless to say we are set for the next decade on the line

BigDawg819
07-04-2007, 12:52 PM
If Grubbs is going to get any playing time its going to be at RG and not at LG, barring injuries of course.

Ravens1991
07-04-2007, 12:58 PM
yea I think mikedoobie had a typo there. I think it sounds like he starts on second or 3rd string and when Chester is comfortable enough to play C Grubbs will play RG.

Does anybody know how much longer Vincent is under contract?

America
07-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought Vincent was locked up for 4 or 5 years but I'm not really sure.

Here's an article on Gaither, http://www.bigblueview.com/story/2007/7/3/235526/9489. It doesn't support him at all.

cunningham06
07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Very key position, you need some great players to work the G Spot.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-04-2007, 03:18 PM
yea I think mikedoobie had a typo there. I think it sounds like he starts on second or 3rd string and when Chester is comfortable enough to play C Grubbs will play RG.

Does anybody know how much longer Vincent is under contract?

I thought he signed a 3 year deal which would mean this is his last year.

mikedoobie
07-04-2007, 03:58 PM
ya this is the last year of vincents contract.

Obviously the guy who wrote that isnt the biggest of gaither fans but i agree that if someone takes that first day pick it is a huge risk as his work ethic and technique make his potential seem somewhat unreachable..but id still want us to get him.

and yes i meant RG not LG

BroadwayJoe10
08-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey, i saw that you guys released Keydrick Vincent and from what i've heard it was because he was more of a classic mauler and didn't fit with the more athletic scheme you guys had; i was wondering if that is the case or if that is more of a sugarcoating of he just sucks.

dcarey20
08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey, i saw that you guys released Keydrick Vincent and from what i've heard it was because he was more of a classic mauler and didn't fit with the more athletic scheme you guys had; i was wondering if that is the case or if that is more of a sugarcoating of he just sucks.

He just sucks.

jkpigskin
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM

he had 1 real good year and that was his contract year so he got a big contract

ChefMike
09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
I see Yanda being the all purpose back up in multiple spots. I think Gaither and Terry are the future of the OT spots for the Ravens, we would have the biggest RT and LT in the league with that line up and they are both more athletic then they come across Gaither might suit better at LT though being he is slightly more agile then Terry.

Overall though... we have nothing to worry about on the OL for many years to come we have some of the best young depth in the league at that spot and 2 years ago that was the scariest part of the team was not having that OL depth and talent once you moved past the left side with Edwin and JO.

BigDawg819
09-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I see Yanda being the all purpose back up in multiple spots. I think Gaither and Terry are the future of the OT spots for the Ravens, we would have the biggest RT and LT in the league with that line up and they are both more athletic then they come across Gaither might suit better at LT though being he is slightly more agile then Terry.

Overall though... we have nothing to worry about on the OL for many years to come we have some of the best young depth in the league at that spot and 2 years ago that was the scariest part of the team was not having that OL depth and talent once you moved past the left side with Edwin and JO.

I think there is some cause for concern with the lines inability to run block in the preseason.........

ChefMike
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I think there is some cause for concern with the lines inability to run block in the preseason.........

I have seen that too, but I think thats mostly due to the fact we have started different people at tackle and JO not being in there, gaither is not a pro bowler yet not is Terry but they are learning and gaining experience. We have not performed well running the ball but I think once we get in and really are playing the 1st team series after series we will be a very pleased fan base when Willis rushes for 1200-1400yds this year...

BigDawg819
09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I have seen that too, but I think thats mostly due to the fact we have started different people at tackle and JO not being in there, gaither is not a pro bowler yet not is Terry but they are learning and gaining experience. We have not performed well running the ball but I think once we get in and really are playing the 1st team series after series we will be a very pleased fan base when Willis rushes for 1200-1400yds this year...

We haven't run blocked well in the last 2 years, its not like a switch you just throw on. We're becoming a more pass happy team so running the ball is still important hence the cause for concern.