PDA

View Full Version : UMass considering the jump to 1A football

SuperKevin
07-03-2007, 07:41 PM
http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062707aaa.html

They are currently looking into the possibility of a jump to 1A in the next 3-5 years. I'd like it because it'd put another 1A program in New England which is pretty much just BC and UConn right now.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062707aaa.html

They are currently looking into the possibility of a jump to 1A in the next 3-5 years. I'd like it because it'd put another 1A program in New England which is pretty much just BC and UConn right now.

Would the Big East be willing to accept them?

What other options are viable as a conference choice?

Also, I think I heard a rumor before that Illinois State was thinking about a possible move to the 1A level in the next few years.

draftguru151
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Nice, I know 2 guys that are going there next year.

Jonny
07-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Would the Big East be willing to accept them?

What other options are viable as a conference choice?

Also, I think I heard a rumor before that Illinois State was thinking about a possible move to the 1A level in the next few years.

The Big East won't take them. The MAC would have to be their only option.

Western Kentucky is actually moving up in 2009. There have been other rumored moves - South Alabama, Montana, Villanova, Texas State are a few.

Don Vito
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow, first I've heard of this. They certainly are an improving team, but I think we will have a better idea if they can make it in D1A after a relatively tough schedule this year with a few D1A oppponents. I love UMASS, almost went there but I decided on Ole Miss. UMASS definitely has the look and feel of a D1A program.

bored of education
07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
They need more money and a bigger stadium. The stadium now is on a wetland.

'cuse-213
07-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Is it a hard school to get into?

Brent
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Texas State is supposed to move up as is Portland State.

SuperKevin
07-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I guarentee by 2012 there will be at least 4 new D1 teams and we might even see the formation of a new conference

fryman
07-04-2007, 03:06 PM

It will be a while, but yeah it sounds like they are starting to make plans to eventually move up. New turf this year, plans to improve the stadium, and they are trying to boost fund raising.

bored of education
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
UMASS is gettign increasingly more difficult to get into. It needs a new stadium badly if it gets bumped to D1A. the Current stadium doesn't hold 15,000. Maybe fill that place up get somedecent teams in their playing against them then build a new stadium.

Brent
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I guarentee by 2012 there will be at least 4 new D1 teams and we might even see the formation of a new conference
I wouldnt be surprised to see more teams move up, too. Schools know there is a lot of money to be made with D-1A teams (alumni donations, ticket sales, TV deals, etc.).

someone447
07-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Texas State is supposed to move up as is Portland State.

Texas State will not move up anytime soon. Their stadium isn't even large enough to accomodate the number of people you need to average a game to be able to move up. Plus, I've talked numerous times to one of the men on the board of regents, and he said it won't happen for years, if it ever even happens.

I would love for Portland State to move up, but it won't be until after I am done playing :-( .

Don Vito
07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Is it a hard school to get into?

It was relatively easy before, but it is getting difficult. I got in with a 2.8 GPA and an 1900 SAT and my guidance counselor told me it was a pretty big reach.

The stadium definitely needs to be upgraded, as already said. It is very small and I believe old as well.

Brent
07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Texas State will not move up anytime soon. Their stadium isn't even large enough to accommodate the number of people you need to average a game to be able to move up. Plus, I've talked numerous times to one of the men on the board of regents, and he said it won't happen for years, if it ever even happens.

I would love for Portland State to move up, but it won't be until after I am done playing :-( .
I have a bunch of friends at TX State and I was just basing that off what I have heard, my bad if that isn't true.

Brent
07-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Western Kentucky is actually moving up in 2009. There have been other rumored moves - South Alabama, Montana, Villanova, Texas State are a few.
I would like to see Montana move up. Seems like there aren't any D-1A teams in that part of the US.

Damix
07-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Speaking of moving up, JMU is building a new stadium and will be moving up soon aswell.

someone447
07-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I have a bunch of friends at TX State and I was just basing that off what I have heard, my bad if that isn't true.

All the students there think it is going to move up, especially after the '05 season when I was there. But the students usually have no idea what is going on.

Where did you hear portland state was supposed to? Unfortunately it couldn't happen within the 3 years I am there.

Brent
07-05-2007, 07:11 PM
All the students there think it is going to move up, especially after the '05 season when I was there. But the students usually have no idea what is going on.

Where did you hear portland state was supposed to? Unfortunately it couldn't happen within the 3 years I am there.
there was a story on SportsCenter with Jerry Glanville, their new coach, and he was talking about how he wants to move up to D-1A with Portland State and compete with the other Oregon schools.

I think they have the stadium and facilities but not complete monetary backing.

someone447
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
there was a story on SportsCenter with Jerry Glanville, their new coach, and he was talking about how he wants to move up to D-1A with Portland State and compete with the other Oregon schools.

I think they have the stadium and facilities but not complete monetary backing.

Ya, that was supposed to be on 2 times before, both times it got pre-empted, then I didn't get to see it when it actually finally aired.

I am guessing that is the case, because they have one of the biggest 1aa stadiums in the nation.

Brent
07-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Ya, that was supposed to be on 2 times before, both times it got pre-empted, then I didn't get to see it when it actually finally aired.

I am guessing that is the case, because they have one of the biggest 1aa stadiums in the nation.
Yeah, I think their stadium is slightly over 20k people but rather nice. And they made is seem like the entire town turns out for their home games. It was interesting to see that since Glanville showed up he has called as many as 20 D1A coaches about playing a game this next year and on. He was talking about playing them for exposure and money to help build up to a move to D-1A.

I wonder what conference would take them? I'd like to think WAC or Sun Belt.

SuperKevin
07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I think their stadium is slightly over 20k people but rather nice. And they made is seem like the entire town turns out for their home games. It was interesting to see that since Glanville showed up he has called as many as 20 D1A coaches about playing a game this next year and on. He was talking about playing them for exposure and money to help build up to a move to D-1A.

I wonder what conference would take them? I'd like to think WAC or Sun Belt.

They'd be an independent for a few years but they could get a WAC invite or even a MWC invite. They are out of Sun Belt territory

Brent
07-05-2007, 09:03 PM
They'd be an independent for a few years but they could get a WAC invite or even a MWC invite. They are out of Sun Belt territory
Idaho is in the Sun Belt, I don't see why Portland State cannot be.

SuperKevin
07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Idaho is in the Sun Belt, I don't see why Portland State cannot be.

Good point. The Sun Belt will likely add Western Kentucky though since they are a member in all other sports