PDA

View Full Version : RB vs WR

12-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I was having a debate with a friend about which position is more important in a teams sucess. I said WR is more important, because you look at a team like Atlanta and how they can run on anybody but, there receivers can't get open. Which leads to Mike Vick playing poorly, which leads to alot of 8 in the box. Thats just my arguement, I'd like to hear from what you guys think.

Staubach12
12-16-2006, 11:46 AM
RB. He touches the ball more, he drives the team. Look at Arizona last year. Great WRs, but they failed beasue they couldn't run. At least ATL is still in the playoff hunt...

12-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, is look how much harder it is too find an elite WR. Then look at how many RB's have sucess early on in the nfl.

12-16-2006, 11:50 AM
RB's are more important, but they're also much, much easier to find.

Dillen
12-16-2006, 11:53 AM
RB. He touches the ball more, he drives the team. Look at Arizona last year. Great WRs, but they failed beasue they couldn't run. At least ATL is still in the playoff hunt...
...It has nothing to do with the RB. You would think you'd notice since they have Edgerrin James and still can't run.

Elite WRs are way harder to find. They can produce regardless of poor QB play or a poor line.

soybean
12-16-2006, 12:00 PM
i think it really depends on the system. If it is the WCO then you need the run to set up the pass. But if you are in a pass happy offense, saints, colts... then of course you're gonna need good receivers.

I will say though, i think the quarterback makes the receivers. Put Troy Williamson and Mike Williams on Colts with peyton and they'll be who they were suppose to be.

12-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I played WR I am just being predjuice

The Unseen
12-16-2006, 12:07 PM
RBs get the ball more, but are "easier to find".

WRs get the ball less, but are "harder to find".

The question is "more important to a team's success." If RBs get the ball more, then they are more important.

draftguru151
12-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Left tackle.

12-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Also, you can have a great running back and still have a terrible run game but if you have a great reciever, your passing game will at least be decent.

TCU
12-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Running Back, just look at Arkansas

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Left tackle.

QFT

Eaglez.Fan
12-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Definitley a RB. A very good RB touches it around 25-30 times a game. A very good WR touches the ball around 7-12 times a game.

But it's very hard to compare the too. And you could make a case for a very good WR makes the TE more open, other WR's more open and opens up holes in the running game.

draftguru151
12-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Definitley a RB. A very good RB touches it around 25-30 times a game. A very good WR touches the ball around 7-12 times a game.

But it's very hard to compare the too. And you could make a case for a very good WR makes the TE more open, other WR's more open and opens up holes in the running game.

No, a very good RB touches it 20 times a game, only four players have ever touched the ball 25 times a game. WR is 6-7.

ny10804
12-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Left tackle.

How many starting lefty QBs are there in the NFL? I know Vick is one...

The Unseen
12-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Left tackle.

Hm? Right tackle is more important for lefty QBs, not left tackles. :?

PACKmanN
12-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Left tackle.

How many starting lefty QBs are there in the NFL? I know Vick is one...I know one too, Matt Lienart

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Left tackle.

How many starting lefty QBs are there in the NFL? I know Vick is one...I know one too, Matt Lienart

Mark Brunell...

Oh wait.

marks01234
12-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, is look how much harder it is too find an elite WR. Then look at how many RB's have sucess early on in the nfl.

This is interesting. I wouldn't say it is hard to find an elite WR.

Steve Smith
Chad Johnson
Torry Holt

TO and Randy Moss used to be in that category.

Now on RB's, my elite category.

LT

with Larry Johnson being on the verge and Shaun Alexander being a guy who used to be in that category.

I guess it is your definition of elite.

12-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I think he means it is much easier to find a running back in the draft than a reciever. WR is the most bustprone position there is.

jkpigskin
12-16-2006, 02:49 PM
definatly RB.... there are plenty of elite teams that get by with mediocre WR's, but all have good-great runningbacks...

Splat
12-16-2006, 02:57 PM
RB's they control the clock.

ny10804
12-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Left tackle.

Hm? Right tackle is more important for lefty QBs, not left tackles. :?

No I know, I was just wondering how many starting lefty QBs there were and thus how many blindside-RTs there were compared to LTs.

BlindSite
12-16-2006, 04:18 PM
It's a silly argument, look what steve smith did for carolina, alternatively look what LJ and LT do for their teams.

bigbluedefense
12-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Left tackle.

QFT

Give me oline, the rest will take care of itself. Skill position players are overrated anyway.

scar988
12-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Left tackle.I woudl say blind side tackle... but yeah it is mroe improtant. I would rank the top 6 most important spots on a football team liek this:

QB
MLB
LT
CB
RB
DE

bigbluedefense
12-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Left tackle.I woudl say blind side tackle... but yeah it is mroe improtant. I would rank the top 6 most important spots on a football team liek this:

QB
MLB
LT
CB
RB
DE

Depends on the system you run. If youre a run heavy team built with a strong defense, then qb is not the most important, contrarily if youre a WCO team, qb is very important.

Its tough to put a price on which position is more important then the next, but Id say that the oline and dline are the most important aspects of a team.

Ravens1991
12-16-2006, 04:30 PM

QB
MLB
LT
CB
RB
DE

Depends on the system you run. If youre a run heavy team built with a strong defense, then qb is not the most important, contrarily if youre a WCO team, qb is very important.

Its tough to put a price on which position is more important then the next, but Id say that the oline and dline are the most important aspects of a team.

QFT

dRaFtDoRk
12-16-2006, 05:18 PM
The RB is the more important position because if you have at least a decent QB with no talented Wide Receiver then the RB is the back up option. The RB is also vital in the confusing the opposing defense because if he is having a stellar game, then the PA Fake is suprising.

Splat
12-16-2006, 05:50 PM
To me the most important position on D is by far a DT a great DT frees up the DE's which gives the QB less time to throw which means the CB's don't have to cover as long it all starts in the middle of the line on D.

draftguru151
12-16-2006, 06:12 PM
To me the most important position on D is by far a DT a great DT frees up the DE's which gives the QB less time to throw which means the CB's don't have to cover as long it all starts in the middle of the line on D.

I completely disagree. You don't have to game plan around a DT. You have to gameplan around a dominant DE.

Splat
12-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Well the Chiefs have great DE in Jared Allen put he gets double teamed on every play because our DT's suck so bad If we had a great DT to free him up he would be just unreal. The Chiefs have not had a great D since the mid to late 90's when they had great DT's freeing up the DE's and LB's I would take a great DT over a great DE. To me you got a beast in the middle it just makes everyone around him and behind him that much better.

2drama
12-16-2006, 07:20 PM
a good oline :lol: :lol: is important

JT Jag
12-16-2006, 07:25 PM
To me the most important position on D is by far a DT a great DT frees up the DE's which gives the QB less time to throw which means the CB's don't have to cover as long it all starts in the middle of the line on D.I completely disagree. You don't have to game plan around a DT. You have to gameplan around a dominant DE.Tell that to teams that play the Jaguars.

bmoreravens5289
12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
To me the most important position on D is by far a DT a great DT frees up the DE's which gives the QB less time to throw which means the CB's don't have to cover as long it all starts in the middle of the line on D.I completely disagree. You don't have to game plan around a DT. You have to gameplan around a dominant DE.Tell that to teams that play the Jaguars.

Niiice, yea the Jags have an awesome Dline.

JT Jag
12-16-2006, 08:41 PM
To me the most important position on D is by far a DT a great DT frees up the DE's which gives the QB less time to throw which means the CB's don't have to cover as long it all starts in the middle of the line on D.I completely disagree. You don't have to game plan around a DT. You have to gameplan around a dominant DE.Tell that to teams that play the Jaguars.Niiice, yea the Jags have an awesome Dline."Ok, now how many players do we have to dedicate to double teaming Henderson and Stroud... an extra guard and a blocking running back? No, then we put Bobby McCray in one-on-one, and he's been eating that up... argh!"

Henderson could be described as a "4-3 Nose Tackle"--- He's 6'7 330+. His main job is to clog running lanes, but he gets pressure on the QB just as easially.

Stroud has slimmed down to 6'6 305. He's one-gap penetrator who holds up against the run excellently.

Together they give defensive co-ordinators nightmares, and indirectly are the reason the team gets at least 1/3rd of the sacks they have.

CM4
12-16-2006, 09:20 PM
simple RB, look at Chargers, how many recievres they have that are an impact...

duckseason
12-17-2006, 06:35 AM
The RB position is easily more important. But, the person who plays it for you isn't. I would trade my top RB for a bona fide #1 WR without flinching. As others have said, RB's are the most bountiful of any other position in the league. And there are tons of them in college right now who could easily start for an NFL team. Can't say the same for WR's. Terry Glenn is infinitely more valuable to the Cowboys than Julius Jones is. But, the play of the RB position is more important to the overall success of the team. It's a misleading question.