PDA

View Full Version : Which of the 2nd year RBs will have the most rushing yards?

iloxygenil
07-04-2007, 04:54 PM
I know it's a copy of the other thread, but I think these are the better backs than that crew.

Moses
07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Maroney. Bush, Jones-Drew, Williams, and Norwood will all be splitting carries.

iloxygenil
07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I know most of the nut huggers are going to pick Reggie Bush, I shouldn't have even put him on here, he's not going to get enough carries to have the most yards in this group...not rushing yards...total yards MAYBE...but he's going to be seeing a lot of time in the slot.

Norwood is going to get a VAST majority of the carries in Atlanta it seems, because he can run powerfully where Dunn can't, Drew-Jones will split carries, but I'd imagine he's going to be getting most of the carries towards the end. Williams is not going to have his carries divided too much, Foster can't stay healthy to save his life, and Williams is a FAR better back. Only reason I say it's going to be Williams over Maroney is because I think NE is going to air it out this season.

d34ng3l021
07-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Either Deangelo Williams or Jerious Norwood.

fenikz
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Where is Joesph Addai?

because he will be the leading all of em

Geo
07-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Joseph Addai will have the most rushing yards, I think. The Colts will still have a second back to spell him, likely DeDe Dorsey, but I think we'll see his carries increase slightly (but certainly not break 300 like some are projecting); if for no other reason than he looks to be the best short-yardage runner on the roster. Addai has been working on his route running such that the team is enticed to move him around the field more this season, so that might transfer some carries into receptions however.

Reggie Bush will probably have the most yards from scrimmage, esepcially with Joe Horn gone. People expecting Meachem to repeat Colston's performance last year will be disappointed, Colston was the exception instead of the rule, really.

Laurence Maroney could rush the most, but I'm not sold enough to take him over Addai. The Patriots offense won't be better than that of the Colts imo, and while Maroney will likely have more carries than Addai, I don't think it's enough to bridge the gap yardage-wise. Having similar FieldTurf from day one is a plus for Maroney, compared to last year.

Maurice Drew won't get enough carries, especially with man-beast Greg Jones healthy and back on the active roster. The Jags offense has changed its offensive coordinators this off-season in hopes of upgrading its passing game, that doesn't help Drew rushing-wise. He does have an easier schedule than Addai because he gets to play the Colts twice a year instead of the Jags defense twice a year, though Mo Drew lost his favorite player in Cato June, and because the Jags play teams from other divisions who finished in the same place the previous season.

Deangelo Williams won't get enough carries, and is a better receiving back than rushing back if anything right now.

Norwood is easily the best back on the Falcons roster, Dunn's legs aren't what they once were unfortunately, but it's unconceivable to say he'll do better than the rest. One could also wonder how well his slashing style will fit with a more power running-geared offense.

d34ng3l021
07-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Joseph Addai will have the most rushing yards, I think. The Colts will still have a second back to spell him, likely DeDe Dorsey, but I think we'll see his carries increase slightly (but certainly not break 300 like some are projecting); if for no other reason than he looks to be the best short-yardage runner on the roster. Addai has been working on his route running such that the team is enticed to move him around the field more this season, so that might transfer some carries into receptions however.

Reggie Bush will probably have the most yards from scrimmage, esepcially with Joe Horn gone. People expecting Meachem to repeat Colston's performance last year will be disappointed, Colston was the exception instead of the rule, really.

Laurence Maroney could rush the most, but I'm not sold enough to take him over Addai. The Patriots offense won't be better than that of the Colts imo, and while Maroney will likely have more carries than Addai, I don't think it's enough to bridge the gap yardage-wise. Having similar FieldTurf from day one is a plus for Maroney, compared to last year.

Maurice Drew won't get enough carries, especially with man-beast Greg Jones healthy and back on the active roster. The Jags offense has changed its offensive coordinators this off-season in hopes of upgrading its passing game, that doesn't help Drew rushing-wise. He does have an easier schedule than Addai because he gets to play the Colts twice a year instead of the Jags defense twice a year, though Mo Drew lost his favorite player in Cato June, and because the Jags play teams from other divisions who finished in the same place the previous season.

Deangelo Williams won't get enough carries, and is a better receiving back than rushing back if anything right now.

Norwood is easily the best back on the Falcons roster, Dunn's legs aren't what they once were unfortunately, but it's unconceivable to say he'll do better than the rest. One could also wonder how well his slashing style will fit with a more power running-geared offense.

Damn. Completely forgot about Addai.

Great analysis on all situations though.

Komp
07-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm gonna go with Maroney, but I think all of these backs are going to have a great 2nd year.

America
07-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Maroney should have the most rushing yards, since he is really the only one who is the primary runner for the team. Total yards is a different story, but Maroney should get the most yards soley due to the fact that he will get the bulk of his team's carries.

07-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Reggie Bush.

ks_perfection
07-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Maroney by a mile, he's the only starter of the entire group.

Vikes99ej
07-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Laurence Maroney. Just my opinion, but I think the acquisitions of Moss and Stallworth will benifit Maroney. I think defenses will pay so much attention to the passing game, that the defense won't be as tuned to the run. Just my thoughts.

The Dynasty
07-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I think it will end up Boney Maroney, Deangelo Williams, Reggie Bush, Joesph Addai, Maurice Jones Drew, and then Norwood.

KCJ58
07-04-2007, 08:28 PM
im might say Reggie Bush but he's sharing with McAlister so i would say Laurence Maroney over Addai and Bush

the dude
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Laurence Maroney is a stud

Shiver
07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
In order based solely on rushing proficiency:

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. DeAngelo Williams
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Jerious Norwood
6. Reggie Bush

Geo
07-04-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't see Maroney carrying the ball 300 times or close to that in 2007, truth be told.

Even if he could carry that workload, why would the Patriots wear him down in the regular season? Their goal isn't to make the playoffs, it's to advance in the playoffs, and that means being able to count on Maroney then.

I saw the exact thing in 2006 with Addai, he was the best back on the roster and his yards per carry average (4.8) handsomely bested that of Dom Rhodes (3.4), but Rhodes nonetheless started every game in the regular season and carried the ball 187 times to Addai's 226 carries (54.7% of the pair's total carries). Come the playoffs, both RBs had reasonably fresh legs - something that can't be stressed enough imo - and Addai went on to set NFL post-season rookie records for receptions (22) and yards from scrimmage (412) (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=bio&player_id=381). A numbers comparison:

2006 Joseph Addai
Season G RuAtt RuAtt/G RuYds RuYds/G Rec Rec/G RecYds RecYds/G
Reg 16 226 14.1 1081 67.6 40 2.5 325 20.3
Post 4 76 19 294 73.5 22 5.5 118 29.5

Don't overlook that, amidst all of the wide receiver acquisitions the Patriots made this off-season, the team wisely signed Sammy Morris who I think is a very good back to spell Maroney. And Kevin Faulk is still on the roster, a shifty back who excels on draw plays and passing situations.

I think both Maroney and Addai carry the ball around 260 times, which averages out to a healthy 16.25 carries per game, this season.

Moses
07-04-2007, 09:10 PM

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. DeAngelo Williams
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Jerious Norwood
6. Reggie Bush

You actually think Reggie Bush is the worst runner of that group?

ricky bobby
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. Maurice Jones Drew
4. Reggie Bush
5. Jerious Norwood
6. DeAngelo Williams

Shiver
07-04-2007, 09:21 PM
You actually think Reggie Bush is the worst runner of that group?

I do. He was the least productive runner out of that group last year. I think he'll continue to be the most oft-used RB/WR weapon in the passing game. I just don't imagine he is going to steal any more carries away from Deuce McAllister than he did last year. He may improve as a runner, but I don't see producing more on the ground than any of those other 'Backs.

nvot9
07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I think it's hard NOT to say Maroney, especially the way he played last year.

Bush, well he's got another top RB to share time with, plus he will be used in many more ways, not solely as an RB like the others. MJD, well the Jaguars certainly aren't boasting the kinda OL that NE is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. Norwood, I honestly don't see him being a big, #1 back, call me crazy..and Deangelo is good, no doubt, I just don't see him better than Maroney. I mean Maroney's got a top offense and it's gunna be extremely tough for D's to focus in on him with such a versatile offense, like they can the other guys, plus, Maroney's a big time back, when he gets the ball, regardless of how often it is, it's gunna be a big run, he's always a threat to take it to the house..

JF4
1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. Reggie Bush
4. Maurice Jones Drew
5. DeAngelo Williams
6. Jerious Norwood

Geo
I do. He was the least productive runner out of that group last year. I think he'll continue to be the most oft-used RB/WR weapon in the passing game. I just don't imagine he is going to steal any more carries away from Deuce McAllister than he did last year. He may improve as a runner, but I don't see producing more on the ground than any of those other 'Backs.
If we're just limiting this to rushing yards (which isn't the ideal imo, but let's go on):

Jerious Norwood 99-633-2
Reggie Bush 154-558-6
DeAngelo Williams 121-501-1

Bush certainly wasn't the least productive rusher of the backs mentioned, the touchdowns more than eclipse the yards per carry average if you want to nit-pick.

Personally, I love Bush. What a spectacular talent. I really think we're looking at one of the next great backs in him, there are guys who are bigger and badder but it's the combination of playmaking ability and innate desire to succeed that the special ones have. I see that in Bush.

Shiver
07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Of those "rushing" touchdowns, half of them were accumulated by end around runs from the WR position. He's a great hybrid player, but I don't see his role changing. I think they will continue using him as a WR first, RB second. Why would they give Reggie Bush any more carries? Norwood and Williams will have an increased role in their respective rushing attacks. Deuce McAllister is a top flight RB when healthy, whereas Warrick Dunn and DeShaun Foster are not.

Geo
07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't see what's wrong with using Bush as a receiver: he averaged over 8.4 yards per reception in 2006, catching 89 receptions for 748 yards, as a rookie. Why hold it against him that he can do what other backs can't?

Heck, Nick Goings and "He Hate Me" could pound the rock inside for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Wowzers. But very few can line up behind a fullback, in a two-back set, in a one-back set, out wide, or in the slot, and do it all with his sub-4.4 speed on the field, vision/awareness, and hands.

P-L
07-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think DeAngelo Williams will be getting as many carries taken away from him as some think. Not only is he the best back on Carolina's roster, but DeShaun Foster is always injured. Not to mention Carolina is going to use the same ZBS that Williams played in at Memphis.

Shiver
07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't see what's wrong with using Bush as a receiver: he averaged over 8.4 yards per reception in 2006, catching 89 receptions for 748 yards, as a rookie. Why hold it against him that he can do what other backs can't?

How am I 'holding that against him'? I clearly prefaced my comments as rushing only. No where in my comments was I saying anything negative about him. He is what he is. He was used as a receiver more than any other "RB" in the entire NFL, as a rookie. I have no reason to believe that his role will change. He will continue to be used as a WR/RB hybrid, he just won't be given any more carries because of the presence of Deuce McAllister. New Orleans would be stupid to make Reggie Bush into something he isn't, an inside runner.

Shiver
07-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't think DeAngelo Williams will be getting as many carries taken away from him as some think. Not only is he the best back on Carolina's roster, but DeShaun Foster is always injured. Not to mention Carolina is going to use the same ZBS that Williams played in at Memphis.

John Fox needs to give up on DeShaun Foster. He isn't productive enough to be used as much as he has been. It would be an act of idiocy to not use DeAngelo Williams as the primary back.

draftguru151
07-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Even if he does only get 150 carries, it's not very likely he averages 3.6 ypc again. Do I think he will be higher than Maroney or Williams? No, but higher than the other backs splitting carries, definitely.

Shiver
07-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think he will get any more carries than that, barring injury to McAllister. All the backs I put ahead of him will get more carries.

Moses
07-04-2007, 11:28 PM
How am I 'holding that against him'? I clearly prefaced my comments as rushing only. No where in my comments was I saying anything negative about him. He is what he is. He was used as a receiver more than any other "RB" in the entire NFL, as a rookie. I have no reason to believe that his role will change. He will continue to be used as a WR/RB hybrid, he just won't be given any more carries because of the presence of Deuce McAllister. New Orleans would be stupid to make Reggie Bush into something he isn't, an inside runner.

I think the point is that even if Bush doesn't put up the statistics because he's sharing carries and being used in other roles, it doesn't make him any less of a threat to rush the football. I think most people would agree that Reggie Bush is not the worst runner in that group of runningbacks.

iloxygenil
07-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Sorry for leaving off Addai, I forgot about him. But as far as the list goes, I can't wait to see how it pans out and how many Bush huggers are defending him when he comes up dead last in rushing yards. Cause he's not a runningback.

Shiver
07-05-2007, 12:47 AM
I think the point is that even if Bush doesn't put up the statistics because he's sharing carries and being used in other roles, it doesn't make him any less of a threat to rush the football. I think most people would agree that Reggie Bush is not the worst runner in that group of runningbacks.

What evidence is there to say that he is any better than Addai, Maroney, Jones-Drew, Norwood and Williams, as a rusher? Because I must have missed it. Since all of the aforementioned players outdid him last year, as a runner, and will only see their roles increase. It's my opinion that Bush won't see his role change. It isn't like I am saying that Wali Lundy or Leon Washington will outdo him next year, or anything like that.

iloxygenil
07-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Bush imo is easily the worst PURE RB in that group. He's an exceptional talent, but as a RB to carry the load he's the last one I would pick...and I can't stand Addai, but he's doing it on the field. I know everyone around LOVES Reggie Bush and he can do no wrong, but I do see him averaging 3.6 again, because, he can't run up the middle and he dances too much, he's got too much improvement to make as a PURE RB...as a threat out of the backfield, he was great, and as a WR he was very good, but as a pound the rock RB he isn't good at all, and I love when he is lined up back there against the Falcons, cause we know he's not going to get anything on the ground.

Shiver
07-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Bush imo is easily the worst PURE RB in that group. He's an exceptional talent, but as a RB to carry the load he's the last one I would pick...and I can't stand Addai, but he's doing it on the field. I know everyone around LOVES Reggie Bush and he can do no wrong, but I do see him averaging 3.6 again, because, he can't run up the middle and he dances too much, he's got too much improvement to make as a PURE RB...as a threat out of the backfield, he was great, and as a WR he was very good, but as a pound the rock RB he isn't good at all, and I love when he is lined up back there against the Falcons, cause we know he's not going to get anything on the ground.

Yeah, for as "dangerous" as he supposedly is, he didn't notch a single 20+ yard run. That is rather pathetic, especially for someone with his speed, acceleration, good O-Line and 155 opportunities to do so.

I am taking a wait and see approach. Maybe Reggie Bush will drastically improve, maybe he won't. I won't anoint him as a great player until he shows me something. I have yet to be impressed. Taking into context the aura of hype that surrounds him, that is. If he doesn't become the player he was at USC, the player he's been billed as, then I suspect people will turn on him rather quickly. Same with Vince Young, for that matter.

Flyboy
07-05-2007, 01:02 AM
I went with MJD.

LonghornsLegend
07-05-2007, 02:02 AM
first name i looked for was addai...he's a beast, and showed me alot his rookie year...has the best passing game to take pressure off him, and probably runs the hardest...id say he has the most out of the group...

youd have to be sick to think bush will have more RUSHING yds then some of those other backs, he will be better then last yr, but i wouldnt expect him to blow anyone away with deuce healthy and pounding it still

iloxygenil
07-05-2007, 02:07 AM
Again, sorry for leaving off Addai...was a total brain fart =/

LonghornsLegend
07-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah, for as "dangerous" as he supposedly is, he didn't notch a single 20+ yard run. That is rather pathetic, especially for someone with his speed, acceleration, good O-Line and 155 opportunities to do so.

I am taking a wait and see approach. Maybe Reggie Bush will drastically improve, maybe he won't. I won't anoint him as a great player until he shows me something. I have yet to be impressed. Taking into context the aura of hype that surrounds him, that is. If he doesn't become the player he was at USC, the player he's been billed as, then I suspect people will turn on him rather quickly. Same with Vince Young, for that matter.

im confused, you said if Bush doesnt turn into the player he was at USC people will turn on him...but you said the same goes for vince young as if what he did his rookie year wasnt reminiscent of what he did at Texas...actually his rookie season in the NFL was better then his sophmore year in college...

just seems like the two are in two different situations, and played differently during the season

Sniper
07-05-2007, 03:48 AM

He didn't have any 20+ runs, but you better damn well believe he's dangerous. You're telling me when he gets the ball in his hands you don't say "Oh ****!"? How about his GW punt return vs. TB? How about his 80 some odd yard reception vs. the Bears? For years we have talked down about the Saints line and all of a sudden after one good offensive year they're good? Didn't have anything to do with the new type of offensive gameplans not to mention a QB who may have the quickest decision making in football?

Give the guy a break. He played one season and people are saying he's a crappy runner now? Please.... Reggie simply wasn't used to not being able to dance behind the line of scrimmage. He played with the best O-line in his conference in college and had all day because there were gaping holes to run through and they didn't close nearly as quickly as they do in the NFL. Reggie will average something in the low 4's this year and continually make progress. What's nice for him as well is he doesn't have to be "the man" yet, so he can afford to take a little longer to learn to run the ball inside better. He's working with one of the best in the business at it, he'll be fine.

To answer the original question, I like Addai this year. Not because I think he's the best runner, but because I expect him to get the most carries out of anyone in that group.

draftguru151
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM
im confused, you said if Bush doesnt turn into the player he was at USC people will turn on him...but you said the same goes for vince young as if what he did his rookie year wasnt reminiscent of what he did at Texas...actually his rookie season in the NFL was better then his sophmore year in college...

just seems like the two are in two different situations, and played differently during the season

And after his sophomore season people thought he was going to be a WR. Not hard to be better than that. If Vince doesn't throw the ball much better he will be a disappointment.

As for the Reggie Bush stuff, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say he doesn't having the running talent or isn't the RB that these other guys are. Did he struggle last year? Yes, but he had to adjust, and towards the end of the season we saw an improvement in his interior running. His struggles last year were not because of his physical abilities but because of his vision and trying to bounce it outside too much. I don't see who how you can try and play off all the rushing abilities he's shown before just because he had a rough rookie year.

BaLLiN
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I think Maroney will have the most rushing yards and then Addai, but as far as receiving yards its got to be Bush then Maurice Jones-Drew.

LonghornsLegend
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
And after his sophomore season people thought he was going to be a WR. Not hard to be better than that. If Vince doesn't throw the ball much better he will be a disappointment.

As for the Reggie Bush stuff, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say he doesn't having the running talent or isn't the RB that these other guys are. Did he struggle last year? Yes, but he had to adjust, and towards the end of the season we saw an improvement in his interior running. His struggles last year were not because of his physical abilities but because of his vision and trying to bounce it outside too much. I don't see who how you can try and play off all the rushing abilities he's shown before just because he had a rough rookie year.

what im saying is, vince probably exceeded expectations of about everyone on this board, seeing as how people had him pegged as being a bench player 2 years before he could understand an offense and be effective, and even though everyone is saying he needs to throw the ball better, he made brandon jones look like a stud out there, and somehow got all the playmakers involved alot better then kerry collins did, a guy who played in the super bowl...

not saying he doesnt need to improve, but it was his rookie year at qb for goodness sakes, of course he made lots of mistakes every game, but he was alot better at decision making as the season wore on in not forcing throws to turn the ball over, and did wonders with the weapons around him...not like he had boldin and fitz on both sides of him

Shiver
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
This is extremely irritating to me. Why is it so blasphemous for me to say that Reggie Bush doesn't have "it" like other great runners? Why is it blasphemous for me to say that he won't be forced into a situation where he will carry the ball more than ten times per game, with a lot of those "rushes" coming from the WR position.

He doesn't have the prerequisite natural instincts to be great. He has speed, agility and acceleration. Those alone do not make you a great runner. If anything, history has shown that great runners excel early in their careers. Unless being held back by horrible talent around them, while being the focal point of the defense; neither of which apply to Bush's situation.

Here we have two camps, both are assuming. I just think it is safer to assume that he won't completely change his 'game.' He will have to if he is going to be a "great" RB like he's been hyped to be. Running end around runs, sweeps and absurd reverse field runs won't cut it in the NFL. He's the only "dangerous" RB I've ever heard of that hasn't made a single big play as an actual Running Back. He's the only RB I've heard of who isn't productive in the spell 'face every defense when they are worn down' role.

I cannot believe anyone can tell me, with a straight face, that Reggie Bush will have more opportunities as a true Running Back than any of the aforementioned players. Thus, even if he improves, he won't outproduce Drew, Addai, Maroney, Williams or Norwood. Because they will all carry the ball more than he will.

LonghornsLegend
07-05-2007, 02:29 PM
This is extremely irritating to me. Why is it so blasphemous for me to say that Reggie Bush doesn't have "it" like other great runners? Why is it blasphemous for me to say that he won't be forced into a situation where he will carry the ball more than ten times per game, with a lot of those "rushes" coming from the WR position.

He doesn't have the prerequisite natural instincts to be great. He has speed, agility and acceleration. Those alone do not make you a great runner. If anything, history has shown that great runners excel early in their careers. Unless being held back by horrible talent around them, while being the focal point of the defense; neither of which apply to Bush's situation.

Here we have two camps, both are assuming. I just think it is safer to assume that he won't completely change his 'game.' He will have to if he is going to be a "great" RB like he's been hyped to be. Running end around runs, sweeps and absurd reverse field runs won't cut it in the NFL. He's the only "dangerous" RB I've ever heard of that hasn't made a single big play as an actual Running Back. He's the only RB I've heard of who isn't productive in the spell 'face every defense when they are worn down' role.

I cannot believe anyone can tell me, with a straight face, that Reggie Bush will have more opportunities as a true Running Back than any of the aforementioned players. Thus, even if he improves, he won't outproduce Drew, Addai, Maroney, Williams or Norwood. Because they will all carry the ball more than he will.

i think alot has to do with potential, and people can see bush with more "potential" to do great things on the ground then all of the other players, maybe his situation is different, maybe he will develop like a WR, 2-3 years before he is the stud everyone expected, maybe he never does, maybe he stays a hybrid and does what he did last year, his whole career, that wouldnt be a bad thing...

I really dont even recall the Eagles pounding the ball, or playing smashmouth football with brian westbrook, granted yes he runs up the middle, and will hit the hole with one cut instead of dancing around to the outside, but Bush is not addai, they will not be used the same, all RB's are different...all those other RB's probably wont ever come close to 100 receptions either, so its not as if he doesnt make up for it with offensive production somewhere...

Im no hugh Bush fan by any means, but I dont think it should be a knock on him that he's not a pounding, Larry Johnson type RB...I dont think that its written anywhere that you have to be that type of back or else your a failure in the league..I agree he wont have as many carries as ALL the other backs, thats true as of next season, none of the other backs have a young former pro bowl RB who is a bruiser in front of them either, if that was the case, norwood would see as many carries as bush if he was in NO, so would drew or any other back...

I think the gimmick end arounds, tosses, or whatever else NO runs with bush can cut it in the NFL, I dont see why he has to be a certain type of runner to be perceived as a guy who's accomplished, last year he showed improvement week to week, there's no reason to believe he wont continue to improve his vision and downfield rushing ability

ricky bobby
07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Reggie Bush isn't an every down back and I doubt he will ever be. He is in the perfect situation in which his athleticism is utilized properly. I still think he is a better runner than Williams and Norwood.

keylime_5
07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Maroney will probably get about 1300 rushing yards this year. I think Mo Drew will have a good year too splitting time, maybe get 1000 yards and about 15 TDs. Bush will probably get about 80 or 90 catches though, but only about 500 or 600 yards on the ground. Bush isn't that great between the tackles, all his yards are on outside runs and catches where he is lethal. Addai is a solid back, and he'll probably get about 1200 yards or so. He can do it all though....run, block, catch. DeAngelo should be starting over Foster by midseason, but in Carolina's offense he probably won't get to the 1000 yard mark. Norwood is great, but is splitting time with a very good back in Dunn. Heck of a RB class last year, huh.

Shiver
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Maroney will probably get about 1300 rushing yards this year. I think Mo Drew will have a good year too splitting time, maybe get 1000 yards and about 15 TDs. Bush will probably get about 80 or 90 catches though, but only about 500 or 600 yards on the ground. Bush isn't that great between the tackles, all his yards are on outside runs and catches where he is lethal. Addai is a solid back, and he'll probably get about 1200 yards or so. He can do it all though....run, block, catch. DeAngelo should be starting over Foster by midseason, but in Carolina's offense he probably won't get to the 1000 yard mark. Norwood is great, but is splitting time with a very good back in Dunn. Heck of a RB class last year, huh.

I said the same thing and was lambasted for it.:rolleyes:

Yung Flippa
07-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll go with Laurence Maroney since Corey Dillion isnt there anymore.
Laurence will be getting more carries probably more then anyone else on the list.

iloxygenil
07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah see, that's what I think too, I have been getting blasted for a year because I don't think Reggie will ever be a great PURE RB. He might be a wonderful weapon, but he's not got what I like to see in a RB. But oh well, what are you going to do? He's a hype baby and yeah, I saw his Punt return, yeah I saw his reception, I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing him in the backfield against Atlanta, because I know we aren't going to give up a run, and I know we have Demorrio Williams on the field who can run with him. (I know I'll get blasted for that, but anyone who can run stride for stride with Jerious Norwood for 50 yards before he pulls away, they can run with Reggie Bush) But I just love it, I know he's going to dance around, and I know he's not Barry Sanders so I'm not worried about him breaking one and taking it the distance.

remix 6
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah see, that's what I think too, I have been getting blasted for a year because I don't think Reggie will ever be a great PURE RB. He might be a wonderful weapon, but he's not got what I like to see in a RB. But oh well, what are you going to do? He's a hype baby and yeah, I saw his Punt return, yeah I saw his reception, I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing him in the backfield against Atlanta, because I know we aren't going to give up a run, and I know we have Demorrio Williams on the field who can run with him. (I know I'll get blasted for that, but anyone who can run stride for stride with Jerious Norwood for 50 yards before he pulls away, they can run with Reggie Bush) But I just love it, I know he's going to dance around, and I know he's not Barry Sanders so I'm not worried about him breaking one and taking it the distance.

i cant wait till Reggie drops 3 TDs against Falcons. :\

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM

Unconcievable? Why is that? He is a better runner than Reggie Bush and up there with the rest of them. I would say Maroney is a better pure runner, but he is on par with DeAngelo Williams and Addai as far as running capabilities. True, he would be better in a zone blocking scheme and I doubt we see his gaudy 6.4 yard per carry average again, but he should do fine.

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 10:48 AM

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. DeAngelo Williams
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Jerious Norwood
6. Reggie Bush

I would agree, with 3-5 being very close in rushing yardage. I expect all three to hover right around the 1,000 yard mark.

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 10:51 AM
If we're just limiting this to rushing yards (which isn't the ideal imo, but let's go on):

Jerious Norwood 99-633-2
Reggie Bush 154-558-6
DeAngelo Williams 121-501-1

Bush certainly wasn't the least productive rusher of the backs mentioned, the touchdowns more than eclipse the yards per carry average if you want to nit-pick.

Personally, I love Bush. What a spectacular talent. I really think we're looking at one of the next great backs in him, there are guys who are bigger and badder but it's the combination of playmaking ability and innate desire to succeed that the special ones have. I see that in Bush.

We are talking strictly rushing yards, not touchdowns. And we almost never used Norwood on the goalline, not only that but our whole offense had redzone problems last year. Norwood's only touchdowns last year came from over 65 yards.

Oh, and Norwood has better straight line speed than Bush. Bush has better agility, but Norwood has better speed.

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
JMO-

1. Laurence Maroney, RB New England Patriots
(15) 280/ 1,232/ 4.4/ 12 rushing TD

2. Joseph Addai, RB Indianapolis Colts
(13) 255/ 1,147/ 4.5/ 9 rushing touchdowns

3a. DeAngelo Williams, RB Carolina Panthers
(16) 256/ 1,101/ 4.3/ 5 rushing touchdowns

3b. Jerious Norwood, RB Atlanta Falcons
(14) 210/ 1,029/ 4.9/ 6 rushing touchdowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwbA4c2vdvg

3c. Maurice Jones Drew, RB Jacksonville Jaguars
(16) 208/ 1,040/ 5.0/ 9 rushing touchdowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3g5lLEqgA

6. Reggie Bush, RB New Orleans Saints
(15) 165/ 743/ 4.5/ 5 rushing touchdowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iRLtoiCRlQ8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U12Ndr-j9UQ

Ewing
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I see Maroney having the most rushing yards but Bush having the most total yards.

Shiver
07-06-2007, 01:44 PM
By the way; it should be noted that neither I or Oxy were high on Bush prior to the draft, let alone this year. I was one of the few posters who was adamant that picking Reggie Bush, for the Texans, would have been a mistake. If he could only put up pedestrian rushing numbers in the Saints offense, he would have been abysmal in the Texans' offense. As for Oxy, he's been on the Reggie Bush "hater" bandwagon since the run up to the '06 draft. So this has nothing to do with the fact that he is on the Saints, or revisionist history based on his mediocre rookie season.

Moses
07-06-2007, 01:50 PM
By the way; it should be noted that neither I or Oxy were high on Bush prior to the draft, let alone this year. I was one of the few posters who was adamant that picking Reggie Bush, for the Texans, would have been a mistake. If he could only put up pedestrian rushing numbers in the Saints offense, he would have been abysmal in the Texans' offense. As for Oxy, he's been on the Reggie Bush "hater" bandwagon since the run up to the '06 draft. So this has nothing to do with the fact that he is on the Saints, or revisionist history based on his mediocre rookie season.

Mediocre rookie season? He had like 1300+ yards from scrimmage didn't he? In a high-powered offence with tons of weapons. He was outstanding and will only get better. Plus, he's playing behind a great RB in McAllister.

Shiver
07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Mediocre rookie season? He had like 1300+ yards from scrimmage didn't he? In a high-powered offence with tons of weapons. He was outstanding and will only get better. Plus, he's playing behind a great RB in McAllister.

As an anointed 'once in a generation athlete' he shouldn't be out-classed by a 5'7", 2nd rounder, like he was. It was decidedly mediocre for what he was hyped to be; i.e the next Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders.

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
By the way; it should be noted that neither I or Oxy were high on Bush prior to the draft. I was one of the few posters who was adamant that picking Reggie Bush, for the Texans, would have been a mistake. If he could only put up pedestrian rushing numbers in the Saints offense, he would have been abysmal in the Texans' offense. As for Oxy, he's been on the Reggie Bush "hater" bandwagon since the run up to the '06 draft. So this has nothing to do with the fact that he is on the Saints, or revisionist history based on his mediocre rookie season.

Ditto here. My favorite backs (for the Falcons) were (in order) Laurence Maroney, Joseph Addai, DeAngelo Williams Maurice Jones Drew, and then Reggie Bush. Maroney and Addai were my top two, easily. Hell, I didn't know a thing about Jerious Norwood prior to the draft (it was my first year following it). Funny that the top two backs (seemingly) for next year were my top choices.

I said almost immediately I would take Mario WIlliams due to their horrible defense, both pass and rush. I said Reggie Bush was, and still believe, a more explosive Brian Westbrook.

I liked Maroney because of his great blend of power and athleticism, and he fit our zone blocking scheme great. Was easily my favorite runner, followed by DeAngelo Williams.

I loved Addai, especially as we got closer to the draft. I wanted to trade up to the top of round 2 or bottum of round one to grab him. Loved the versatility and blend of skills. Good size (5'11/ 215), speed (4.45?), and great blocking and recieving skills for a young back. Loved the pick of him by Indianapolis.

They, and Tamba Hali and Jimmy Williams, were the only things that gave me second thoughts on the Abraham trade. I now regret it a lot, giving that much for a injury prone DE near 30.

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 02:00 PM
As an anointed 'once in a generation athlete' he shouldn't be out-performed by a 5'7", 2nd rounder, like he was. It was decidedly mediocre for what he was hyped to be; i.e the next Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders.

Yeah, but he is a 5'7, 220 pound 2nd rounder who ran a late 4.3. Beasty.

eacantdraft
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I say Maurice Drew-Jones Smith. His team has issues at QB, but has a very good defense so he will see the ball alot.

San Diego Chicken
07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Bush's upside is easily the highest out of all the backs in that draft. When he becomes the primary back in the offense, look out. It took him a while to adjust, learning lots of different positions in a complicated playbook, but by the end of the season and playoffs teams were not really stopping him. The Saints offensive line isn't the greatest run blocking unit either.

Shiver
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Bush's upside is easily the highest out of all the backs in that draft. When he becomes the primary back in the offense, look out. It took him a while to adjust, learning lots of different positions in a complicated playbook, but by the end of the season and playoffs teams were not really stopping him.

As a receiver, no he was awesome at the end of the year. He only had one good rushing performance all year, though. Against the Giants. In fact, it accounts for more than 1/5 of his TOTAL rushing production.

The Saints offensive line isn't the greatest run blocking unit either.

That didn't hurt Deuce McAllister, unless you're inferring that they decided to block for Deuce and not for Reggie.

JagHombre22
07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I love how no one is giving MJD any props...the guy finished second in the rookie of the year voting...only to the over-hyped mike vick duplicate, vince young...

Maurice Jones-Drew finished with a hair under 1000 yards rushing, while splitting time...he had 13 touchdowns...I say again, while splitting time...with Fred Taylor getting older and MJD's production and carries increasing as the season goes on...the guy could literally end up with 1300+ yards, and 15+ TD's...

Go_Eagles77
07-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Out of this list I'd say Maroney, he's the only one taking the bulk of the carries. I would've voted Addai though

BamaFalcon59
07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I love how no one is giving MJD any props...the guy finished second in the rookie of the year voting...only to the over-hyped mike vick duplicate, vince young...

Maurice Jones-Drew finished with a hair under 1000 yards rushing, while splitting time...he had 13 touchdowns...I say again, while splitting time...with Fred Taylor getting older and MJD's production and carries increasing as the season goes on...the guy could literally end up with 1300+ yards, and 15+ TD's...

I think he does that in year 3 or 4. Very good player, though. Should have won rookie of the year.

Although the Vick/ Young comparison is horrible. Fast and black. That's it.

JT Jag
07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai (These two are the only ones not splitting carries)
3. Jerious Norwood (The only other besides Williams who might not split carries)
4. Maurice Jones-Drew (If you don't count his first two games in which he essentially didn't play, then he would have gone for 185 attempts for 1062 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns in 16 games, based on the average of his last 14 games. That's about the pace the Jaguars will play him this year--- maybe even more then that, because that's just 11 carries a game)
5. DeAngelo Williams (Could go higher, depending on when--- and it is when--- Foster gets hurt.)
6. Reggie Bush (He's an X-factor, not a rusher.)

Sniper
07-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Uh didn't Maroney, Addai, Bush, Williams and Norwood all split time as well? If you're gonna make an argument make sure you can't make it for all the other players in this category.

Sniper
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
6. Reggie Bush (He's an X-factor, not a rusher.)

Yes, but my God, what an X-factor.

San Diego Chicken
07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
As a receiver, no he was awesome at the end of the year. He only had one good rushing performance all year, though. Against the Giants. In fact, it accounts for more than 1/5 of his TOTAL rushing production.

That didn't hurt Deuce McAllister, unless you're inferring that they decided to block for Deuce and not for Reggie.

Deuce hit for 4.3 yards per carry, right at his career average. The Saints as a team, 3.7, which was 26th in the NFL. It may not have hurt him but it didn't help him really. They had three new starters (including a rookie) if I remember correctly, and offensive lines are often predicated on continuity.

I don't think Bush can be judged as a running back until he becomes the primary. As he is presently used, you won't get much rushing production out of 9 carries per game and its foolish to expect it. Can't get into much of a rhythm like that.

JagHombre22
07-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Uh didn't Maroney, Addai, Bush, Williams and Norwood all split time as well? If you're gonna make an argument make sure you can't make it for all the other players in this category.

yes, but none of them had the impact that Maurice Jones-Drew had...I was merely making the statement in reference to what he may be able to do when he doesn't have to split time...

Geo
07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
The sound of the homer alert is deafening.

Flyboy
07-07-2007, 05:20 PM
The Saints' offensive line isn't that great at run blocking -- but still solid.

ChampBailey24
07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
It's between Addai or Maroney, obviously. Unless Taylor gets hurt (wouldn't be a huge surprise), then Jones-Drew could be in there, too...

I'm going to go with Addai, though. The Indy offense is better than what I see the Pats offense being, and that's why I give him the edge.

Shiver
07-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I don't think Bush can be judged as a running back IF he becomes the primary. As he is presently used, you won't get much rushing production out of 9 carries per game and its foolish to expect it. Can't get into much of a rhythm like that.

"If" he becomes the primary. If I'm New Orleans, why would I force Reggie Bush, a 5'10" 200-lbs back, who excels at receiving, into a between the tackles runner?

Seasonticketholder
07-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I think it is a tad bit premature and even shortsighted to suggest that Reggie Bush can neither be a prolific runner nor can he run in between the tackles. What evidence is there to suggest that Bush cannot run in between tackles?

Last year, Bush's running problems came more down to his own refusal to take what the defenses were giving him and instead opting to try and make the big play. I have repeatedly argued that the 44 yard run in the preseason against the Titans actually slowed Bush's development and transition to the pros. I know it was only a preseason game, but Bush came out in that game running between the tackle with nice 5 and 6 yard runs. Then, he breaks the play for 44 yards by reversing field and he seemed to rely on trying to bounce everything outside at the start of the regular season. When he did run between the tackles, he was successful. But he rarely did this and defenses knew to stretch the play out because Bush was likely to go out-of-bounds. There were a number of plays that Bush could have easily scored on if he had just made a cutback inside because opposing defenses were so committed to stopping Bush from getting outside.

Sean Payton pointed this out to him. So did Marshall Faulk. Starting in the game, Bush begin to take what defenses were giving him. Shiver, you state that Bush only had one solid game against New York but that was the only game that he had a significant number of carries. In fact, that was the only game he carried the ball 20 times. But in the second half of the season, Bush averaged over 5 yards per carry. And you even saw a change in the way defenses had to play him. No longer could they force the action to the outside because they had to respect the fact that Bush would actually run inside. The result was Bush was now able to make some of those reverse-across-the-field runs that we had become accustomed to. For emphasis, against Philadelphia in the playoffs, he ran to the right, got bottled up and was able to cut back to the left and gain about 25 yards on the play. He was able to do the same for a touchdown run later in the game.

Bush had a solid running day against New York. He was on his way to a solid running day against Carolina but only received 3 carries. But those carries went for 12, 7 and a touchdown run of 1 yard. All three carries were in between the tackles.

Against Chicago, the Saints got away from the run very early. But the longest run of the day against the Bears came from Bush. It was only 12 yards but early on when he got carries, he had a couple of good, tough runs running inside against the Bears and actually was doing a better job than Deuce.

I think you will see vast improvement from Bush. He raised his per play rushing average by almost 1.5 yard in the second half of the season. I think if Bush was not trying so hard to make a big play on each play and, instead, would have allowed the game to just come to him, he would have probably average close to 5 yards a carry the entire season.

Finally, I think he will see an increase in carries. The local sports personalities in New Orleans have suggested that. In fact, one such personality--Kenny Wilkerson (who happens to work directly for the team) has even suggested that Saints fans should not be surprised if Bush ends up with more carries by season's end than Deuce. They will continue to try and split the carries but the word is that Bush's role as a runner will be significantly increased. Also, Bush has been doing a lot of running inside and having a lot more plays called for him in that regard. A lot of the plays called for him last year, particularly in the first half of the season, were tosses. Expect to see more runs inside and I could easily see him posting big numbers.

It is difficult to say who will have the most rushing yards amongst second year backs. So many of the guys on the list, sans Maroney and Addai, have to share carries. Still, so many things (i.e. injuries, second year slumps) can happen in a season that might have an effect on who is able to produce the most yards at season's end. It could be Maroney or Addai but it just as easily could be Jones-Drew or Bush or Williams or, heck, Leon Washington (if, say, Thomas Jones was to go down and Washington was to step up in a major way). Personally, I am expecting a big year Bush that will silence a lot of the critics.

yo123
07-08-2007, 12:05 AM
1. Joseph Addai
2. Maroney
3. Norwood- sorry but your done Warrick
4. Deangelo Williams
5. MJD
6. Bush

LonghornsLegend
07-08-2007, 12:17 AM
I think it is a tad bit premature and even shortsighted to suggest that Reggie Bush can neither be a prolific runner nor can he run in between the tackles. What evidence is there to suggest that Bush cannot run in between tackles?

Last year, Bush's running problems came more down to his own refusal to take what the defenses were giving him and instead opting to try and make the big play. I have repeatedly argued that the 44 yard run in the preseason against the Titans actually slowed Bush's development and transition to the pros. I know it was only a preseason game, but Bush came out in that game running between the tackle with nice 5 and 6 yard runs. Then, he breaks the play for 44 yards by reversing field and he seemed to rely on trying to bounce everything outside at the start of the regular season. When he did run between the tackles, he was successful. But he rarely did this and defenses knew to stretch the play out because Bush was likely to go out-of-bounds. There were a number of plays that Bush could have easily scored on if he had just made a cutback inside because opposing defenses were so committed to stopping Bush from getting outside.

Sean Payton pointed this out to him. So did Marshall Faulk. Starting in the game, Bush begin to take what defenses were giving him. Shiver, you state that Bush only had one solid game against New York but that was the only game that he had a significant number of carries. In fact, that was the only game he carried the ball 20 times. But in the second half of the season, Bush averaged over 5 yards per carry. And you even saw a change in the way defenses had to play him. No longer could they force the action to the outside because they had to respect the fact that Bush would actually run inside. The result was Bush was now able to make some of those reverse-across-the-field runs that we had become accustomed to. For emphasis, against Philadelphia in the playoffs, he ran to the right, got bottled up and was able to cut back to the left and gain about 25 yards on the play. He was able to do the same for a touchdown run later in the game.

Bush had a solid running day against New York. He was on his way to a solid running day against Carolina but only received 3 carries. But those carries went for 12, 7 and a touchdown run of 1 yard. All three carries were in between the tackles.

Against Chicago, the Saints got away from the run very early. But the longest run of the day against the Bears came from Bush. It was only 12 yards but early on when he got carries, he had a couple of good, tough runs running inside against the Bears and actually was doing a better job than Deuce.

I think you will see vast improvement from Bush. He raised his per play rushing average by almost 1.5 yard in the second half of the season. I think if Bush was not trying so hard to make a big play on each play and, instead, would have allowed the game to just come to him, he would have probably average close to 5 yards a carry the entire season.

Finally, I think he will see an increase in carries. The local sports personalities in New Orleans have suggested that. In fact, one such personality--Kenny Wilkerson (who happens to work directly for the team) has even suggested that Saints fans should not be surprised if Bush ends up with more carries by season's end than Deuce. They will continue to try and split the carries but the word is that Bush's role as a runner will be significantly increased. Also, Bush has been doing a lot of running inside and having a lot more plays called for him in that regard. A lot of the plays called for him last year, particularly in the first half of the season, were tosses. Expect to see more runs inside and I could easily see him posting big numbers.

It is difficult to say who will have the most rushing yards amongst second year backs. So many of the guys on the list, sans Maroney and Addai, have to share carries. Still, so many things (i.e. injuries, second year slumps) can happen in a season that might have an effect on who is able to produce the most yards at season's end. It could be Maroney or Addai but it just as easily could be Jones-Drew or Bush or Williams or, heck, Leon Washington (if, say, Thomas Jones was to go down and Washington was to step up in a major way). Personally, I am expecting a big year Bush that will silence a lot of the critics.

good post *10 char*

iloxygenil
07-08-2007, 12:24 AM
STH you have points about Bush, but he cannot run between the tackles, at least he hasn't done it to this point. I'm not at all afraid of him as an RB, the reason his YPC went up the 2nd half of the season was him getting to hit defenses when Deuce had worn them out, and they had to start adjusting to attempt to stop Colston from beating them over the top. The defenses weren't playing Bush anymore, they were playing Colston. Payton is a brilliant offensive mind and he knows he has to use Bush in a way that he can be effective, and that's not as a between the tackles runner, he's not going to force him to be that. Bush will never be a 'Primary' back, the NFL is switching away from that and it's going to a split back system, so that's what he'll always be in as far as I can tell.

As far as the other backs, I had Maroney and Jones-Drew high on my list but I think I had Williams as the top back as my desire for the Falcons, eventhough I know normally after that many carries a RB doesn't last too long, he just seems like a special talent to me. When we picked Norwood I was upset at first to be honest, but now that I've seen him play I couldn't be happier. He runs so much stronger than it appears, and all I can think of is OJ Simpson running all over the field when I see his highlights. Which, I'll take that =) His injuries bothered me, but it was just a re-aggravating of an injury so I'm not too worried.

Even with Addai on the list I really think it's going to be Maroney that tops the list of backs with Addai #2.

Seasonticketholder
07-08-2007, 12:40 AM
STH you have points about Bush, but he cannot run between the tackles, at least he hasn't done it to this point. I'm not at all afraid of him as an RB, the reason his YPC went up the 2nd half of the season was him getting to hit defenses when Deuce had worn them out, and they had to start adjusting to attempt to stop Colston from beating them over the top. The defenses weren't playing Bush anymore, they were playing Colston. Payton is a brilliant offensive mind and he knows he has to use Bush in a way that he can be effective, and that's not as a between the tackles runner, he's not going to force him to be that. Bush will never be a 'Primary' back, the NFL is switching away from that and it's going to a split back system, so that's what he'll always be in as far as I can tell.

This is simply not the case. The light for Bush seemed to come on in the Pittsburgh game. Bush started to do a much better job in that game of running with the football. Also, defenses were not concentrating on Colston because Colston missed three (and four if you consider the fact that he only played in one drive against the Bengals) games during the second half. His first game back was against Dallas, a game in which he was hardly utilized sans a few plays here and there. If anything, there was more attention placed on Reggie given that his responsibilities in the passing game begin ot increase more as he was one of the individuals that Payton used to compensate for the loss of both Marques Colston and Joe Horn.

I disagree with the notion that Deuce was wearing defenses down for Reggie. If anything, most of Deuce's yards came in the second half, during the late third and fourth quarters as the Saints would look to milk the clock. For instance, look at that Dallas game. Deuce's yards came in the fourth quarter as the Saints were attempting to run out the clock. But in the second half of the season, Reggie was, more and more, getting carries at the beginning of the game.

Also, I still do not know where the notion that Reggie cannot run inside comes from? Please point me in the direction of a game where Reggie was gobbled up while trying to run inside. You will find no such games. What you will find is Reggie early on in the season looking to make a big play on every touch. HE WAS PRESSING! Heck, he even admitted that he was pressing, looking to make the big play and justify all the hype surrounding him. Couple that with a 44 yard run against the Titans that had him believing he could do the same things that he did at USC and it is easily to see why he struggled early and took a while to adjust. I can remember games in which Reggie would not even get touched by the defense but would end up running out of bounds because the play had been stretched so far outside since defenses knew exactly where he was headed on each play. Again, on those few times that he did decide to turn it up inside, he saw positive yards. But early in the season, he had a lot of runs for negative yards and his average was about 2.2 per carry. But over the second half, again, it was over 5 yards a carry and his final per carry average went up nearly 1.5 yards. And most of that came ONCE HE STARTED RUNNING MORE INSIDE and not looking to take each play outside. Again, go back and look at some of those games in the second half. Check out the Giants game. Most of his running in that game came in between the tackles. It's funny...in the two games where Reggie saw his most carries during the regular season--20 for 126 yards against the Giants and 15 carries for 67 yards against Cleveland--he averaged 6.3 and 4.5 yards, respectively. It seems to me that as he gets more carries, he is easily capable of showing himself to be a solid runner. I think the NFL will see a lot of what you saw from Reggie over the second half of the season during a full season. He is reportedly stronger and faster and has been looking much more explosive than he looked last season, even at season's end. You can have your opinion on Bush, one way or the other. That's fine because everyone has a right to his or her opinions. However, do not be surprised when Reggie is posting big numbers not just in the passing game but in the running game as well.

Almost forgot, I can remember when people said that Tiki Barber and your own Warrick Dunn were not primary backs. Hmm, the nerve of some people!

Flyboy
07-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Plus, Bush is doing Fre Flo Do this offseason!

Yeah, didn't have much to add.

draftguru151
07-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Plus, Bush is doing Fre Flo Do this offseason!

Yeah, didn't have much to add.

Yea I think he's pretty much got this under control.

Fantastic post btw, if only we had more members like this.

iloxygenil
07-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh, That's fine and all, I'm glad you are excited about a player on your team, there's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing I can say to burst your bubble, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm leaning towards Bush just isn't going to change the NFL like everyone is saying he will, he might get credit for it, but there are people who paved the way for him. Just like Magic and Bird paved the way for Jordan, but Jordan gets all the credit, could be looking at the same thing here.

I hope not, but I can still be honest and say I love seeing him lined up in the backfield against Atlanta, I've said it three times now, and I mean it. I'm sorry that you feel differently, but he can't outrun Atlanta's defense to the corners or around the edges, and I know he can't run up the middle so it really doesn't bother me. You can call me a homer and whatever you want, but Demorrio Williams can run with Reggie and cover him out of the backfield, but when he lines up in the slot is when I am most scared of Reggie Bush, other than that I'm not too worried about it.

Seasonticketholder
07-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh, That's fine and all, I'm glad you are excited about a player on your team, there's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing I can say to burst your bubble, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm leaning towards Bush just isn't going to change the NFL like everyone is saying he will, he might get credit for it, but there are people who paved the way for him. Just like Magic and Bird paved the way for Jordan, but Jordan gets all the credit, could be looking at the same thing here.

I hope not, but I can still be honest and say I love seeing him lined up in the backfield against Atlanta, I've said it three times now, and I mean it. I'm sorry that you feel differently, but he can't outrun Atlanta's defense to the corners or around the edges, and I know he can't run up the middle so it really doesn't bother me. You can call me a homer and whatever you want, but Demorrio Williams can run with Reggie and cover him out of the backfield, but when he lines up in the slot is when I am most scared of Reggie Bush, other than that I'm not too worried about it.

I am not simply excited about Bush because he plays for my favorite team. I try to be objective, even though I am able to recognize the difficulties of being objective when we have such a subjective mind. I am not going to say that Bush will change the league like some have proposed because I do not think that such things can be predicted. I do, however, think that he can be a major force in the NFL and a top-flight player for many years, barring injury.

I am quite sure that you would not want to see him succeed. If you look at the second game against the Falcons last season, Bush did a much better job of running the football against you guys. In fact, there was one play where he was one more broken tackle from the endzone. I disagree with your assessment that Demorrio Williams can cover Bush but I do not think either one of us will change the other person's mind on it.

Good luck with your team's season.

LonghornsLegend
07-08-2007, 07:11 PM
The defenses weren't playing Bush anymore, they were playing Colston.

i highly disagree with that...what facts do you have to back up this statement?

why would a defense focus more on colston then bush makes no sense at all, colston is a rookie WR, yes a very good one, but he's not steve smith...i cant see any way when bush lines up on the field, the defense is focused more on stopping colston then figuring out where bush is lining up

Staubach12
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
How can Adaii not be on this list!?!? With 51..8% of the Colts carries last year, he got 1081 yards and 7 TDs. Now, Rhodes is gone. Even with only 75% of the carries this year, you can expect 1500 yards and 11 TDs!