PDA

View Full Version : The Official Harry Potter Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

badgerbacker
07-05-2007, 07:13 PM
With the new movie and the final book both coming out pretty soon, I thought it was appropriate to begin a Harry Potter thread. Don't try to pretend like you aren't into this teenaged magician...

You can use this to post predictions as to what you think will happen in the last book, or just to talk about how pumped you are for both the movie and last book to finally be released.

scottyboy
07-05-2007, 07:15 PM
i gotta read book 5 again before the movie, it was soo long ago i barely remember it...

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I was going to make a thread about book 7, but I was never a fan of the movies. Probably because it's impossible to live up to the books awesomeness. Anyways, does anyone here disagree that R.A.B is Regulus Black?

M.O.T.H.
07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
I have never read a Harry Potter book...never got into it...

Cashmoney
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Harry Potter is the shizzle dizzle

badgerbacker
07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Snape kills Dumbledore..
Wait...no, that's old.
Voldemort kills Hermione.
I agree that Hermione will be killed. You know that one of the big three has to die, and I don't think JK has the stones to make it be Harry. Ron is the other possibility, but plays a much larger role in Harry's life than Hermione.

What I would like to see happen...although highly doubt it will: Harry must die in order for Voldemort to die because their lives are so interconnected. I also thought it would be pretty sweet if the last horcrux was Harry's scar. As I stated before though, I don't think JK Rowling has the guts to kill Harry and so I don't think this will happen.

HoopsDemon12
07-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I agree that Hermione will be killed. You know that one of the big three has to die, and I don't think JK has the stones to make it be Harry. Ron is the other possibility, but plays a much larger role in Harry's life than Hermione.

What I would like to see happen...although highly doubt it will: Harry must die in order for Voldemort to die because their lives are so interconnected. I also thought it would be pretty sweet if the last horcrux was Harry's scar. As I stated before though, I don't think JK Rowling has the guts to kill Harry and so I don't think this will happen.

is the better way to end a series? kill the main character

wiscbadgerfootball
07-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I should re-read the 6th..

HoopsDemon12
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I should re-read the 6th..

don't feel bad i quit half way through the 4th

wiscbadgerfootball
07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
don't feel bad i quit half way through the 4th

I just feel bad about not remember enough of the 6th

HoopsDemon12
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I just feel bad about not remember enough of the 6th

i used to be into it rank... then i dont know it jsut kind of lost interest to me .. i tried to get back into them but i just could not do it

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't mind much if Ron died, he has always been my least favorite main character. Who do you think R.A.B is btw? And do you know that "a heavy locket" was mentioned as being at Grimmauld place? That kind of confirms that RAB is Regulus because that is probably the horcrux.

comahan
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Just a warning. Posting spoilers for things like this results in being suspended and or banned. So dont go there.. I dont care if the 'internet knows about it' or not.

badgerbacker
07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't mind much if Ron died, he has always been my least favorite main character. Who do you think R.A.B is btw? And do you know that "a heavy locket" was mentioned as being at Grimmauld place? That kind of confirms that RAB is Regulus because that is probably the horcrux.
I agree with you about Ron, I never really cared for him that much. I just think he is too important in Rowling's eyes to kill off. As for the R.A.B. thing, I never really could figure out who it would be, I'm not sure if it is Regulus because wouldn't Hermione have uncovered his name when she was looking for anyone with those initials? The heavy locket thing could have simply been something pointless that was included to throw people off. My best guess is that it will be a woman who was married and so her initials were changed away from RAB. Anywho, I'm looking forward to reading and finding out!

badgerbacker
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Just a warning. Posting spoilers for things like this results in being suspended and or banned. So dont go there.. I dont care if the 'internet knows about it' or not.Thank you, I didn't think it was really my place to say anything, but I thought it was a bad move to post that. I believe the publishers have said that the spoiler was fake anyway.

ncstateviking
07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
hermione is by far a better character than ron. ron may die in my opinion. my tradition is reading all the previous books in order before i read the new one. so its fresh on my mind. ive been at it a month or so and im starting the 5th now. ill be ready for the final one when i get it.

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree with you about Ron, I never really cared for him that much. I just think he is too important in Rowling's eyes to kill off. As for the R.A.B. thing, I never really could figure out who it would be, I'm not sure if it is Regulus because wouldn't Hermione have uncovered his name when she was looking for anyone with those initials? The heavy locket thing could have simply been something pointless that was included to throw people off. My best guess is that it will be a woman who was married and so her initials were changed away from RAB. Anywho, I'm looking forward to reading and finding out!

About the locket, I think the barman of the Hog's Head has it. When Harry cornered Mundungus Fletcher about stealing Sirius's stuff, it said the barman walked away pulling his cloak tightly around his neck, or something like that. Mundungus probably sold it to him IMO.

Another guess at who RAB may be, when Voldemort took those 2 kids into the cave, one of their names was Amy Benson. Amy could've been her middle name.

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
hermione is by far a better character than ron. ron may die in my opinion. my tradition is reading all the previous books in order before i read the new one. so its fresh on my mind. ive been at it a month or so and im starting the 5th now. ill be ready for the final one when i get it.

I used to do that, but I stopped enjoying the first couple books. I'm mad now though because I just finished rereading the 6th book tonight and HPDH is still 15 days away... I don't want to read any of the others though because that would probably throw me off.

Philliez01
07-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I just glimpsed a bit of the 6th book. I started last year, my mom got like the first 3 when I was young and never bothered to read it until last year. Then I became a HP fiend unfortunately. It is just interesting to me, it's the only non-sports books that I have in my room.

I think R.A.B. is Regulus just for the point that there is no other logical character that it could be. Sirius said that he was killed because he betrayed Voldemort which makes sense when you think of the Horcrux. It ties in.

I also think that it's pretty obvious that Hermione, Ron and Harry don't go back to Hogwarts judging by the British book cover. See for yourself on Wikipedia.

Acreboy
07-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Always wondered why I liked DBZ and never Harry Potter...

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I just glimpsed a bit of the 6th book. I started last year, my mom got like the first 3 when I was young and never bothered to read it until last year. Then I became a HP fiend unfortunately. It is just interesting to me, it's the only non-sports books that I have in my room.

I think R.A.B. is Regulus just for the point that there is no other logical character that it could be. Sirius said that he was killed because he betrayed Voldemort which makes sense when you think of the Horcrux. It ties in.

I also think that it's pretty obvious that Hermione, Ron and Harry don't go back to Hogwarts judging by the British book cover. See for yourself on Wikipedia.

Hey I gave you a 5th green bar! And it's not unfortunate to be a HP fiend...

The only knock on RAB being Regulus is that it's too obvious, I think.

Philliez01
07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Well considering I mocked HP fiends in the past, it does seem to be a bit of a unfortunate thing. I remember when I first read it, it was when Book 5 premiered (so it was 3 years ago instead of last year upon further review) and I was pretty much jacked to re-read everything else even though I knew what happened.

Canadian_kid16
07-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I need to find a friend to borrow the sixth book from! GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

There was my informative post for the day...

Cashmoney
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Anyone know how long this book will be? im too lazy to look it up. I hope its pretty long. i finished the last one in like 2 days.

keylime_5
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Voldemort and Malfoy die in book 7 and Harry almost dies but lives to please the kids. My prediction anyway.

simms2clayton
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I read the first 3 books and I was done. That fourth book was like 2000 pages long and I didnt like the first 150 pages so I said **** this.

simms2clayton
07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Voldemort and Malfoy die in book 7 and Harry almost dies but lives to please the kids. My prediction anyway.

I hope Harry Potter dies. That would be awesome.

princefielder28
07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I read the first 3 books and I was done. That fourth book was like 2000 pages long and I didnt like the first 150 pages so I said **** this.

yeah once the 4th book came along the books were just way too long and by then I hated to read anyways

keylime_5
07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone know how long this book will be? im too lazy to look it up. I hope its pretty long. i finished the last one in like 2 days.

This long:

l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
The end.:)

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I want to say 784 pages... but I'm not positive, although I know it's the 2nd longest book next to the 5th.

S2C, Harry Potter would **** you up.

ncstateviking
07-05-2007, 10:25 PM
im going to be kinda sad if they dont return from hogwarts

BlindSite
07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big three is killed off by one of the malfoys.

**SPOILERS FROM PREVIOUS BOOKS BELOW

They've got to play a huge part since Draco was meant to frag dumbledore but didn't have cajones to do it. Hence snape did so.

IMO, Dumbledore's death is going to make him force like so he can help harry and co. I think Harry will hunt down RAB who's turned good after sirius got pwned and they'll work together. They'll track down snape who'll die and then they'll move on and break the horcruxes before finally battling voldemort for the end of the book.

If I had to pick one of the big three to die, I'd probably say Ron, Rowling said Ginnie is powerful and will play a big part. Think about it, Harry is off trying to find RAB, Ron goes to fight malfoy, dies and ginnie gets all emo and goes off for revenge with Hermoine.

Just my opinion.

RoyHall#1
07-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I think RAB is definitely dead... and you really think Snape is evil? I don't think he is...

Windy
07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
readings for squares....if i want to read something, ill buy a playboy, they got some good readin in there

thank you for your contribution. it is greatly appreciated.

bantx
07-05-2007, 11:21 PM
harry will die, just expecting a huge ending

jayceheathman
07-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Daniel Radcliff is getting 50 million to film the last two movies. What a lucky little kid. He is only a teenager and he is already one of Europe's richest people.

bearfan
07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
It wont be the last book in the series. He is stopping school to chase after those wierd named fragments of Voldemort, which I cant imagine it all being in one 700-1000 page book. On top of that Harry wants to become an Auror, which requires extra schooling. So I dont think this will be the end of the series w/ this last book.

*reading a post below

I dont think that Ron, Hoermine (sp), or Ginney (sp) will die. They are characters that you relate to, and you cant kill them off w/o losing readers. Say that Ron does die, and someone who hasnt read the series decides to read. They read the 1st few books, and hear that Ron dies. What would be the good in killing off a character that people relate to? It would turn away readers

BlindSite
07-06-2007, 12:27 AM
I think RAB is definitely dead... and you really think Snape is evil? I don't think he is...

I think he's a double agent, but I still think he hates harry. So I wouldn't be surprised if he let some good people get killed so he could fight the good fight.

I think he's very much in a gray area and as such will piss a lot of people off on both sides which good lead to him copping a wand in the head.

thule
07-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Answer these questions...

Question 1: Who Will Live? Who Will Die?

Question 2: Is Snape Good or Evil?

Question 3: Will Hogwarts Reopen?

Question 4: Who Winds Up With Whom?

Question 5: What/Where are the Horcruxes?

Question 6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated?

Question 7: What are the Deathly Hallows?

thule
07-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Pretty tough to say. Voldemort will die. Snape and Harry will live. People like luna are hard to place. Neville might be someone who dies. I think Ginny lives because of what JK has came out and said about her. Hagrid will live I don't think harry can talk many more close deaths to him. Ron and Hermoine are toss ups at this point to me.

It's clear that Harry is going to need some help for someone who was/is close to Voldemort. Hermoine is smart but still doesn't have that type of knowledge that dumbledore did persay. After all Snape did make an unbreakable trust with draco's mom...and don't forget the warewolf getting pissed at draco. Snape basically had 3 choices. Let the warewolf/other deatheaters get draco/let volde get draco/or kill dumbledore...It's not like he had the choice...snap has always been a selfish person so he chose himself over dumbledore. I think it's quite obvious that he is good...the catch is how will he gain some of harry's trust.

Yes, Harry is going to have to get information from there. Hermoine will have to be able to access the library. Harry is going to need to get into the room of requirements because of the tiera and the potions book.

Harry and Ginny should happen imo but I have a feeling it's inevitable.
Ron and Hermoine will be together...something tells me they can't withstand it tho due to some problem that comes up.
Neville and Luna might be a fun one to see happen.

Question 5: /What/Where are the Horcruxes?
1. Tom Riddle's diary - COS
2. Marvolo Gaunt's ring - Gaunt shack
3. Salazar Slytherin's locket - grimauld place
This one seems to be a dead lock to me. It might have went out with mundungus but the locket in grimauld place was this one.
4. Helga Hufflepuff's cup - location is hard for me on this one...i'm going to go with where voldemort first started working...lots of old relics...plus harry has been there before...only logical place i can think of.
5. Rowena Ravenclaw Tiera - gringrotts
This one is a bit of a reach...but this is the mystery. The bill weasley is getting married and mrs. weasley talks about this tiera that they have at grigrotts.
6. Nagini - murder of Frank Bryce in GoF....along with Voldemort.
7. Voldemort - Battle will be at deathly hollows imo.

Yes, the question is how...I think it's obvious that it has to be harry. But Harry is not powerful enough to pull it off by himself. Voldemort will be weaked from the horcrux's being destroyed so it'll be interesting.

The grounds at which harry's parents were killed.

comahan
07-06-2007, 01:58 AM

Question 5: Where are the Horcruxes?

1: Well, not all of the Weasleys can live, so lets kill off Fred and George. Nevilles been built up, he'll stand up to someone, finally, and get killed for it. Lupin dies for no other reason than all of his friends are dead, so why not him. Living, um. How about Ginny, she wont die. Shes been slowly pushed forward as someone who will matter, and should make an impact one way or the other. Snape wont die, methinks.. For all I know he could be setting up both sides to where he can gain control of everything, build his own empire, and take in Harry as his padawan learner.

2: Both.

3: Yes. I cant imagine a Harry Potter book without the school. I mean, without the school its just another 'chase down artifacts to kill the dark lord that trying to rule the world' fantasy book. It'll reopen and harry will spend some time there, not as a student, but researching and/or finding horcruxes.

4: Um. Not Harry/Hermione. Not happening. probably Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny, unless some die, which is possible.

5: (Complete guesses) One will be in Number 4 Grimmauld Place (Slytherins Locket), One will be at Godrics Hollow, One will be at Hogwarts, One will be in Olivanders shop. Then theres the ring which is gone, the diary which is gone. Guesses at the items... Slytherins Locket that Kreacher has. The Tiara, which would be at the Weasleys. Hufflepuffs cup, no idea where it is. Ravenclaws wand, which I would think would be at Olivanders, Harry himself perhaps. Hogwarts as a whole would be a ***** of a horcrux to destroy. Somehow dementors will be involved. Perhaps to suck the part of Voldemorts soul from Harry by 'kissing' the scar. But really, no idea. Just guesswork. I actually used to discuss this stuff, but i have long since forgotten most of it. I think im missing something big even as im typing this. sigh, oh well.

6: Yep.

7: Again, no idea. The place behind the veil maybe. Godrics Hollow maybe. Something not introduced, Something in Hogwarts, No clue.

VY10
07-06-2007, 02:36 AM
I started this series in 4th grade.... 8 years later.. I just have to finish.

diabsoule
07-06-2007, 04:16 AM
It's a very good series. I thought it was a kid's book when they first came out. I kept hearing a lot about it and then decided to pick up the first one to see what all the buzz was about. Every since then I haven't been able to put it down.

*Spoiler*

I've heard that Hagrid and Hermione die but I don't see how both of their deaths are relevant to the continuation of the story, unless she was talking about two deaths besides the one's we are considering like Harry and Voldermort.

Notredameleo
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Am i the only one who gets emotionally involved when i read these books.. I probably sound like an idiot, but i was pissed when Harry broke up with Ginny at the end of book 6. lol. I cant wait for the book to come out, but im not too sure about the movie, they always seem to botch it because, well it never is as good as the book, plus i already know what is going to happen.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
It wont be the last book in the series. He is stopping school to chase after those wierd named fragments of Voldemort, which I cant imagine it all being in one 700-1000 page book. On top of that Harry wants to become an Auror, which requires extra schooling. So I dont think this will be the end of the series w/ this last book.

*reading a post below

I dont think that Ron, Hoermine (sp), or Ginney (sp) will die. They are characters that you relate to, and you cant kill them off w/o losing readers. Say that Ron does die, and someone who hasnt read the series decides to read. They read the 1st few books, and hear that Ron dies. What would be the good in killing off a character that people relate to? It would turn away readers

I thought she said this is the last book..

anyway, Harry can't become an auror right? he didn't get an O in Potions

Scar
07-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I only wish the movies were only lagging one book behind, it'd make for a nice, quick refresher going into the next chapter of the story. I actually remember reading year 5 and almost wanting to give up though. So much circling and setup in the first half of that book. Took a long time to get moving, the reviews I've heard of its movie though have all been really good. This might be one of the few movies this summer I'm not going to wait to see on DVD.

RoyHall#1
07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I thought she said this is the last book..

anyway, Harry can't become an auror right? he didn't get an O in Potions

Yeah, she definitely said this is the last book period. And yes, Harry can become an auror because Slughorn only required an E in the Potions O.W.L., which is why Harry continued taking it.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah, she definitely said this is the last book period. And yes, Harry can become an auror because Slughorn only required an E in the Potions O.W.L., which is why Harry continued taking it.

yeah I forgot about that.. just rereading it now lol

RoyHall#1
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Question 1: Who Will Live? Who Will Die?Voldemort will die, I think either Bill or Charlie along with 1 or both of the twins will die, and maybe Hermione. And Grawp will probably be killed by his giant friends.

Question 2: Is Snape Good or Evil? This is obvious to me, Snape is 100% good. Dumbledore wasn't wrong in trusting Snape, but Snape does hate Harry. Dumbledore, I think, was arguing with Snape about killing him. Snape didn't want to, but I think Dumbledore made him for reasons unknown... although personally I think Fawkes is Dumbledore's horcrux. It did say on his chocolate frog card that he defeated the dark wizard Grindelwald.

Question 3: Will Hogwarts Reopen? Yes, I think Mcgonnagal will be headmistress. Like someone else said, they're not going to have an 800 page book without the school playing a significant role.

Question 4: Who Winds Up With Whom? Luna and Neville, Ron and Hermione, Tonks and Lupin, and Umbridge with Malfoy.

Question 5: What/Where are the Horcruxes? Basically what others said, although I think the barman has the locket because I think Mundungus sold it to him.

Question 6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated? These are kid's books we're talking about. Bad guy's not going to win.

Question 7: What are the Deathly Hallows? Harry's parent's cemetery

comahan
07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Question 1: Who Will Live? Who Will Die?Voldemort will die, I think either Bill or Charlie along with 1 or both of the twins will die, and maybe Hermione. And Grawp will probably be killed by his giant friends.
Question 2: Is Snape Good or Evil? This is obvious to me, Snape is 100% good. Dumbledore wasn't wrong in trusting Snape, but Snape does hate Harry. Dumbledore, I think, was arguing with Snape about killing him. Snape didn't want to, but I think Dumbledore made him for reasons unknown... although personally I think Fawkes is Dumbledore's horcrux. It did say on his chocolate frog card that he defeated the dark wizard Grindelwald.
Question 3: Will Hogwarts Reopen? Yes, I think Mcgonnagal will be headmistress. Like someone else said, they're not going to have an 800 page book without the school playing a significant role.
Question 4: Who Winds Up With Whom? Luna and Neville, Ron and Hermione, Tonks and Lupin, and Umbridge with Malfoy.
Question 5: What/Where are the Horcruxes? Basically what others said, although I think the barman has the locket because I think Mundungus sold it to him.
Question 6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated? These are kid's books we're talking about. Bad guy's not going to win.
Question 7: What are the Deathly Hallows? Harry's parent's cemetery

Ah thats right, Aberforth did buy something from Mundungas didnt he

Hines
07-06-2007, 07:48 PM
my cousin looks exactly like harry potter...its funny...but bout the books and movies,dont really enjoy them

Philliez01
07-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I actually think Voldemort could win the battle. I mean, Voldemort is one of the greatest villains of all-time in terms of power. A powerful wizard isn't going to die to the "Chosen One", if Harry survives it would be cliche'. Though at the same time, if Voldemert lives it's a cop - out to (well you could consider it). I think Rowling will want to establish how evil he is and even without the horcrux; he's far too powerful. I mean, Voldemort living would be like the Sopranos. When there is a black screen, it could be interpreted that he was living and just continued. I feel, Rowling will show how bad the guy is.

I think the final part, will be at Harry's parents grave. THIS IS TOTAL ESTIMATION but it has been foreshadowed to a degree. Harry said at the end of HBP that he would visit his parents grave. I think he destroys the horcruxes and goes to his old parents home and gravesite and as he's mourning; Voldemort comes in.

comahan
07-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Philliez, the thing you posted about Wormtail isnt spoilers, its speculation, so you can post it if you want.

EDIT: if its something foreshadowed in other books, be my guest. If its some internet 'leak' rumor on results, thats what I care about not being posted.

Paul
07-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Cage Match: Frodo vs. Potter. who comes out alive

comahan
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Cage Match: Frodo vs. Potter. who comes out alive

Neither, the supporting characters interfere and cause a DQ. The fans go wild because the supporting characters are the people they come to see.

(Ive always been a fan of the supporting characters over the Main characters in those two series.)

draftguru151
07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Neither, the supporting characters interfere and cause a DQ. The fans go wild because the supporting characters are the people they come to see.

(Ive always been a fan of the supporting characters over the Main characters in those two series.)

Which is why you've taken every supporting character from both shows in the draft. :p

comahan
07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Which is why you've taken every supporting character from both shows in the draft. :p

Not even close, my friend.

Philliez01
07-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Philliez, the thing you posted about Wormtail isnt spoilers, its speculation, so you can post it if you want.

EDIT: if its something foreshadowed in other books, be my guest. If its some internet 'leak' rumor on results, thats what I care about not being posted.

Alright thanks, I just didn't want to risk it.

Well the thing I though of is the Wormtail "life debt" factor. I mean, Wormtail still owes Harry so maybe Voldemort's first attempt at Harry (whilst he's destroying Horcruxes) goes awry due to Wormtail. It was noted towards the end of Azkaban about what happened, and I feel that it's too major of a saying by Dumbledore to not show itself. He owes Harry and I think he's literally BOUND to help him. He'll be dead, my guess.

I assume there will be deaths of non-Major characters as well. I can't see them killing Bill just because he's just a character. I say, Percy will be killed. I could picture the Weasleys mourning about how they treated him (even though dude's a juueee n00b) and that will put a huge damper on the wedding.

bantx
07-06-2007, 11:07 PM
i cant wait to see the movie the last one was real good

Hines
07-06-2007, 11:09 PM
anyone thinks harry will die

Namy
07-07-2007, 05:59 AM
ahhh... i hate the long intervals between books... and I don't have the 6th book on me as I'm away from home for a couple weeks. Could someone please refresh me on the major poitns of book 6....

Specifically:

What is a horcrux:
What is an O.W.L.

and other things that are important...

RoyHall#1
07-07-2007, 09:19 AM
ahhh... i hate the long intervals between books... and I don't have the 6th book on me as I'm away from home for a couple weeks. Could someone please refresh me on the major poitns of book 6....

Specifically:

What is a horcrux:
What is an O.W.L.

and other things that are important...

A horcrux is an object which a wizard has split his soul into and put part of it into this object. Voldemort is believed to have 6 horcruxes. He can make a horcrux whenever he kills someone. Harry has to hunt down these horcruxes and destroy them before he can kill the real Voldemort.

An OWL means Ordinary Wizarding Level. When you hear "O.W.L.'s" it means the exams students take after there 5th year.

As for everything else... Snape killed Dumbledore, it's up in the air whether Snape is evil or not though. Harry has to destroy the remaining horcruxes (3-4 more) and have a final showdown with Voldemort. I guess that's about it for the major points.

Staubach12
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I think Mr.Weasley will die. He'll sacrifice himself for Ron. As far as who R.A.B. is, it's Regulus Black.

thule
07-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Whoever said Fawkes is Dumbledore's horcrux, that is incorrect. Dumbledore looked so down upon Tom for splitting his soul. Plus JKR already told us Dumbledore will not come back.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Whoever said Fawkes is Dumbledore's horcrux, that is incorrect. Dumbledore looked so down upon Tom for splitting his soul. Plus JKR already told us Dumbledore will not come back.

yeah I highly doubt a Wizard like Dumbledore would engage in dark magic like horocruxes

RoyHall#1
07-07-2007, 04:19 PM

I thought that Dumbledore might've done it for the greater good in his master plan. But if JK said he's not coming back, then I guess that is out of the question. But I'm pretty sure she's never said anything about Sirius.... although I would much rather have Albus back.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I thought that Dumbledore might've done it for the greater good in his master plan. But if JK said he's not coming back, then I guess that is out of the question. But I'm pretty sure she's never said anything about Sirius.... although I would much rather have Albus back.

idk.. we'll just have to wait and see.. the anticipation is killing me

RonnieRun23
07-07-2007, 05:56 PM
you know how they mention that something of gryffindor's could have been a horcrux? Maybe it's Harry's parents house, Godric's hollow, named after Godric Gryffindor. i don't know, just a thought.

Hines
07-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I think Mr.Weasley will die. He'll sacrifice himself for Ron. As far as who R.A.B. is, it's Regulus Black.

my mom thinks that ron will sacrifice himself for harry...i dont read the books nor do i watch the movies but my mom and gma talk about them all the time so i guess i gain knowledge on them

RoyHall#1
07-07-2007, 08:35 PM
you know how they mention that something of gryffindor's could have been a horcrux? Maybe it's Harry's parents house, Godric's hollow, named after Godric Gryffindor. i don't know, just a thought.

That's Harry's parent's house? I don't think so... although I never thought of something from Gryffindor being at Godric's Hollow although it makes sense. But I think we can trust Dumbledore when he said that the sword is the only artifact remaining that was in possesion of Godric. And if Nagini really is a horcrux, that only leaves one left. If it is something from Gryffindor, then that leaves Ravenclaw out which doesn't seem right IMO.

thule
07-08-2007, 12:42 AM
I'm 90% sure that the tiara is the Ravenclaw artifact turned horcrux.

thule
07-08-2007, 12:50 AM
To elaborate on it...

Ravenclaw's Tiara
?~? Where is it?
*Room of Requirement?
"perched a dusty old wig and a tarnished tiaraon the statues head..." HBP pg. 527
?~? A recent quote by JKR that Hogwarts houses were representative of the 4 elements: earth (Hufflepuff), air (Ravenclaw), fire (Gryffindor), and water (Slytherin). Point out that these elements also correspond to the tarot suits, as in cups (water), swords (fire), air (wands), and pentacles (earth). We were unable, however, to make these symbols correspond to the Horcrux symbols (though Gryffindor's sword is certainly a fire symbol)
?~? Then tarot found a reference in mythology that tied these two theories together. The raven, like all birds, is traditionally considered an air symbol (i.e."Raven"-claw). It is also a symbol of the Morrigan, an ancient Celtic goddess of whom the following verse was written:

Deep in the shadowed forest, far from trodden paths
Morrigan reverently strolls through a sacred oak grove.
Completely engrossed by her thoughts, lost to the beauty
Of this tranquil wildwood alcove.

The Goddess, beautifully tall, muscular, statuesque,
Copper tresses confined by a simple silver tiara, designed for a Queen.

There was also a lot of evidence we found in the house ghosts representations in the movies and PS2 game.
The ravenclaw ghost is wearing a Tiara, and the hufflepuff ghost always has a cup in hand, even in PS2 game where it showed the founding members.

Boston
07-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Wow. Watching The Sorcerors Stone movie really shows you how long it's been since the first movie/book came out.

thule
07-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Ya SS and COS can be hard to sit through if your not a true fan. I mean watching 12 year olds run around makes you really concentrate on the overall plot but outside of that it's much easier to just stick to the books. Anyone else wanna break down the ravenclaw artifact...I'd like to see some other strong backed up opinions....I'll give someone a good start....Wand.

thule
07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Harry Potter and the OotP comes out 33 hours...can't wait.

DLS42
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Is there truth to the rumor that deathly hallows is printed in the dark so the workers dont know the end?

BuckNaked
07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Did anybody else see the contestant at the Hot Dog Eating Contest that gave away the ending of the Harry Potter book?

DChess
07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I need to find a friend to borrow the sixth book from! GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

There was my informative post for the day...

just search the title of the 6th and pdf after it

RoyHall#1
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Is there truth to the rumor that deathly hallows is printed in the dark so the workers dont know the end?

I wouldn't doubt it...

and to Bucknaked, yes I saw it but I think that rumor is false anyway.

BuckNaked
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't doubt it...

and to Bucknaked, yes I saw it but I think that rumor is false anyway.

I just thought the way he did it was hysterical.

Bills2083
07-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I read the first 3 books and half of the 4th. Should I read the 5th/6th/7th, or should I just read the final book?

Philliez01
07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I read the first 3 books and half of the 4th. Should I read the 5th/6th/7th, or should I just read the final book?

I'd read the 6th probably. Rowling said that it would seem that 6/7 were two halves of the same novel.

RoyHall#1
07-09-2007, 10:07 PM

I would read the second half of the fourth, the fifth, the sixth, and then the first 6 books again, and then the 7th, and then all 7 books. But that's just me.

comahan
07-09-2007, 10:08 PM

The ending of the Fourth book is amazing. Youd miss out if you skipped it.

BlindSite
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
So everyone knows, JK Rowling has come out and said that, none of the internet rumors are even close to being true.

To be honest buy the new book and read it from start to finish before you even touch the internet.

The 6th book was ruined for me by some fuckwit just posting X kills X, for no reason. another person had it as their MSN handle. Its disappointing people can't just **** off.

thule
07-10-2007, 12:07 AM
My NFLDC harry potter fans disappoint me :(

Hurricane Ditka
07-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Because of the Snape Killed Dumbledore fiasco, I'm not going near a computer when the 7th book comes out.

thule
07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll be locked in a room from midnight when i get a copy at wal-mart till i finish it...

jballa838
07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Because of the Snape Killed Dumbledore fiasco, I'm not going near a computer when the 7th book comes out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU

scottyboy
07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
so the popular concensus is that Regulus Black is R.A.B? i was trying to think of other possibilites, but really cant think of any...

comahan
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
so the popular concensus is that Regulus Black is R.A.B? i was trying to think of other possibilites, but really cant think of any...

That is indeed the popular consensus.

Hurricane Ditka
07-10-2007, 02:38 PM
That is indeed the popular consensus.Yeah, Rowling said that's a very good guess as well.

Hurricane Ditka
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikUThat's the equilivent of the Vader is Luke Skywalkers father walking out of the Empire Strikes Back for this gernation.

RoyHall#1
07-10-2007, 04:17 PM
That is indeed the popular consensus.

Don't rule out Amy Benson! (one of the kids Voldemort took into the cave, Amy could be her middle name...)

RoyHall#1
07-10-2007, 04:18 PM
My NFLDC harry potter fans disappoint me :(

Because of the Ravenclaw horcrux thing? You kind of lost me on that.... sorry.

bantx
07-10-2007, 05:25 PM
im thnking all the main characters will die, harry hermoine ron

Hurricane Ditka
07-10-2007, 05:56 PM
So who's going to a midnight showing? I might just for the hell of it.

RoyHall#1
07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
So who's going to a midnight showing? I might just for the hell of it.

I'm refraining from watching Order of the Pheonix movie until after I've read the 7th book. I hate having the character's in the movies voices in my head constantly when I'm reading...

Hines
07-10-2007, 11:52 PM
my mom and gma r goin tonite

Boston
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
I'll be locked in a room from midnight when i get a copy at wal-mart till i finish it...

And this time, you'll have a book to read.

Staubach12
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM

That's me, as well.

scottyboy
07-12-2007, 11:05 AM
i saw the 5th movie last night, and didnt think too highly of it. It had some good scenes and some were greatly depicted, but they left alot out, and changed it around. i know they're pressed for time and such, but leaving out Quidditch as a whole? like no mention of it at all?? ron made the team, harry and the twins got thrown off, yet no mention of it. also, they didnt even throw Hermione and Ron became prefects... and Cho didnt tell Umbridge about D.A., it was her friend, whom, after telling, had her face covered in zits spelling out SNITCH.

also, when did Dean become black? he was white in the last 4 movies.(I'm not racist, but thats a big change)

wiscbadgerfootball
07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
i saw the 5th movie last night, and didnt think too highly of it. It had some good scenes and some were greatly depicted, but they left alot out, and changed it around. i know they're pressed for time and such, but leaving out Quidditch as a whole? like no mention of it at all?? ron made the team, harry and the twins got thrown off, yet no mention of it. also, they didnt even throw Hermione and Ron became prefects... and Cho didnt tell Umbridge about D.A., it was her friend, whom, after telling, had her face covered in zits spelling out SNITCH.

also, when did Dean become black? he was white in the last 4 movies.(I'm not racist, but thats a big change)

yeah.. it had quite a few issues and left a lot out, also making the longest book the shortest movie didn't equate.. that being said.. it was still a good movie

ny10804
07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I quit 10 pages into the first book. Something about a street during the night, with a witch or something.

The_Dude
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
I really enjoyed the movie as well. I haven't read the books past #2, but my girlfriend is a Harry Potter fanatic (she re-reads all of the novels every summer), so i've heard about a lot that has been left out.

She liked the movie, but also agrees that they left out a lot of important information.

Just my humble and mostly un-informed opinion.

comahan
07-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Dean has always been black in the films. In GoF hes the one at the table when Moody walks in that asks what an Auror is.

JF4
07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I saw the movie last night and it was pretty good but not amazing. The Order of The Pheonix wasn't the best book in the series to convert to a movie because it lacked action at times. The 4th movie was godly though. The last 2 should be pretty good considering the events that take place in the respective books.

comahan
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I havent seen Order of the Phoenix yet, but I accepted a long time ago that they had to water down the plots and leave out some of the fun moments of the books to fit everything into their 2~ hour movie. They were able to pretty much get 1 and 2 right plotwise (too bad the kids sucked at acting then), but thats because of the shortness of the length of the book and lack of 10,000 subplots floating around like you have in the rest of them.

EDIT: To the post above. I too enjoyed GoF as a movie, though they had to cut half of the storylines, which ruined one of the best book endings ever. Still, good movie in itself.

scottyboy
07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Dean has always been black in the films. In GoF hes the one at the table when Moody walks in that asks what an Auror is.

ohh ok. i was confusing Dean and Seamus. my bad

Boston
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM

I guess it was a good idea not to reread the book before the movie came out...

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
07-12-2007, 02:00 PM
My friend said Daniel Radcliffe was on "The Today Show" and he said he was quitting the movies or something???

Hurricane Ditka
07-12-2007, 02:04 PM
They should bring back the director who did PoA, best movie so fat.

Boston
07-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I love the part where the Ministry came to Dumbledore and said they were going to take him to Azkaban. And, well, Dumbledore said no thanks.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I love the part where the Ministry came to Dumbledore and said they were going to take him to Azkaban. And, well, Dumbledore said no thanks.

Kingsley Shacklebolt is an O.G.

BlindSite
07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
My friend said Daniel Radcliffe was on "The Today Show" and he said he was quitting the movies or something???

I did hear that this one was the last one being made because he didn't want to continue. IMO, they should've made this one and the 6th book at the same time LOTR style and jumped straight into production of the 7th the moment the book came out.

Its kind of stupid and arrogant on his part if he wants to leave the series before its complete. Realistically he's standing to lose a buttload of money for a career that might not lead to anything. IMO the only decent actor in the harry potter movies is Alan Rickman as Snape and the dude who played Mad Eye Moody. Hermoine and Ron aren't too bad and Lucius' actor plays a good part but really the acting is pretty sub par from the main characters.

Cashmoney
07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I did hear that this one was the last one being made because he didn't want to continue. IMO, they should've made this one and the 6th book at the same time LOTR style and jumped straight into production of the 7th the moment the book came out.

Its kind of stupid and arrogant on his part if he wants to leave the series before its complete. Realistically he's standing to lose a buttload of money for a career that might not lead to anything. IMO the only decent actor in the harry potter movies is Alan Rickman as Snape and the dude who played Mad Eye Moody. Hermoine and Ron aren't too bad and Lucius' actor plays a good part but really the acting is pretty sub par from the main characters.

pretty sure thats a false rumor. the last two books already have pages on imdb

comahan
07-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Im pretty sure the only one of the 3 main characters that there were questions about was Emma Watson as Hermione, but she ended up signing on for the last 2, i believe,

keylime_5
07-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Classic line by Shacklebolt:
"You may not like him, but you gotta admit.....Dumbledore's got style."

Vikes99ej
07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
I liked the movie pretty good.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I just reread the 6th book today so now I am pumped for the 7th! Hopefully NCAA 08 will hold me over until the 7th book comes out. I am just wondering, are we certain that the Ravenclaw tiara is a horcrux or is this just people assuming?

BlindSite
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
I wish that they had of cast christopher lee as dumbledore, he would've been ******* bad ass.

comahan
07-14-2007, 02:20 AM
I just reread the 6th book today so now I am pumped for the 7th! Hopefully NCAA 08 will hold me over until the 7th book comes out. I am just wondering, are we certain that the Ravenclaw tiara is a horcrux or is this just people assuming?

just assumption

Namy
07-14-2007, 05:36 AM
i saw the movie and they seriuosly should have seriuosly added like 30 minutes to the movie (still would be under 3 hrs).... A lot were missing and the acting was pretty subpar. Sirius' death was horribly done... Dumbledore's talk with Harry at the end of the book was epic.. in the movie it was prtty lame. As someone mentioned.. where was quidditch ..There was so much drama regarding quidditch w/Ron joining and harry/the brothers getting off the team... also, hermoine and ron being prefects adds to the drama... it had to be mentioned ... at least a little

I do give credit to the dumbledore/voldemort scene. That was pretty cooool i liked it. I also liked it when the Order came.

BlindSite
07-14-2007, 06:21 AM
You know re-reading the 5th and 6th book, I think JK Rowling really missed some stuff with the power of the death eaters and Aurors, they get beaten by teenagers too easily and aurors for supposedly highly trained elite force seem to get their ass kicked a lot.

Hurricane Ditka
07-14-2007, 11:07 AM
It's the only known artifact of Ravenclaw, so it's just an assumption.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-14-2007, 12:25 PM
You know re-reading the 5th and 6th book, I think JK Rowling really missed some stuff with the power of the death eaters and Aurors, they get beaten by teenagers too easily and aurors for supposedly highly trained elite force seem to get their ass kicked a lot.
you forget these books were made for kids.

BlindSite
07-14-2007, 08:16 PM
you forget these books were made for kids.

IMO, the first book is separate from the series. According to JK the 2-7 are all the same story just different parts of it. I think she started out making a kids book but later shifted to a book more aimed at all ages, hence there's now childrens books and adult versions.

I honestly believe she decided half way through the series to make them more mature in themes. Yeah they're targetted at young adults, but not at the expense of making them enjoyable for all ages.

Cashmoney
07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
just saw the movie and like always it just doesnt compare to the book. but i must say the battle scenes at the end were awesome.

bearfan
07-14-2007, 11:36 PM
IMO, the first book is separate from the series. According to JK the 2-7 are all the same story just different parts of it. I think she started out making a kids book but later shifted to a book more aimed at all ages, hence there's now childrens books and adult versions.

I honestly believe she decided half way through the series to make them more mature in themes. Yeah they're targetted at young adults, but not at the expense of making them enjoyable for all ages.

yeah, but look at it like this:
I started reading the books around when I was in 4th grade (11), which is when Harry Potter starts. As I am getting older, so is Harry. I think that may have some play into it, cause as you get older, and more mature, the book and characters do too. **just wanted to point that out**

thule
07-15-2007, 03:37 PM
The only other possible ravenclaw artifact that even seems to be on the map is the wand on the purple pillow in the first book in Olivanders shop. People think that Olivander was taken by the DeathEaters to make wands for them. And also keep the alliance from being able to get new ones. This would also make place for where Voldy would put a horcrux..because it is and important moment for him...gaining his wand. The only thing that doesn't make sense is...why would voldy put a horcrux where anyone had access to it. That right there is enough for me to not buy into it.

BlindSite
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Well we know there's 6 horcruxes.

1. Is the ring of morfin's. (destroyed)
2. Is the Cup from Hufflepuff
3. Is the snake Ngini
4. Is the diary (destroyed)
5. Is slytherin's locket (unknown)
6. Is either an artifact of Griffindor's or Ravenclaw's

So it could be anything of Ravenclaw's or Griffindors.

Jvig43
07-15-2007, 09:12 PM
just saw the movie and like always it just doesnt compare to the book. but i must say the battle scenes at the end were awesome.

Agreed, the battles at the end were sweet, serious and harry detroying Malifoy was awesome, however i wish the fight between voldermourt and Dumbledore was more like the book, with the statues coming to life and protecting harry, but regardless, great end to a sub par movie.

PalmerToCJ
07-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, so I read books 1-4 in like a 2 month span when I was in middle school then randomly went and saw the movie today because I was bored and women were involved but I had no idea what was going on lol.

comahan
07-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Well we know there's 6 horcruxes.

1. Is the ring of morfin's. (destroyed)
2. Is the Cup from Hufflepuff
3. Is the snake Ngini
4. Is the diary (destroyed)
5. Is slytherin's locket (unknown)
6. Is either an artifact of Griffindor's or Ravenclaw's

So it could be anything of Ravenclaw's or Griffindors.

Well, those are Dumbledore's opinion of which items are horcruxes. I still dont see Nagini as one, personally. The other i basically agree with. #6 is mostly assumed to be the Tiara because of what Thule has said throughout this thread.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I hated the movie. It was way too rushed. Now people who haven't read the book probably thought it was a decent movie, but if you read the book, they skipped so much. They didn't use the coins for Dumbledore's army, as others have said Quiditch was left out, I felt they didn't put nearly as much importance on the Order of the Phoenix, and Ron said like 5 long lines throughout the movie. I just think they needed to make it longer and add in some of the minor details that made the book so great. I liked the battle scenes but that was it.

Xiomera
07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Saw the movie last night . . . it was a worthless piece of crap.

The books, however, are genius.

Boston
07-15-2007, 10:14 PM
How would you rank the six Harry Potter books that have come out thus far?

For me, it'd probably be something like this...

1. Half Blood Prince
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Sorceror's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix

comahan
07-15-2007, 10:22 PM

1. Half Blood Prince
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Sorceror's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix

My opinion on which books are better change every time I read through them. atm, id say...

1. Goblet of Fire
2. Half Blood Prince
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Order of the Phoenix
5. Sorcerers/Philosophers Stone
6. Chamber of Secrets

badgerbacker
07-15-2007, 10:23 PM

1. Half Blood Prince
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Sorceror's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix

That's almost exactly how I'd put them except I think I'd switch Sorcerer's Stone with Order of the Phoenix.

Xiomera
07-15-2007, 10:24 PM

1. Half Blood Prince
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Sorceror's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix

For me, it looks like this:

1) Prisoner of Azkaban (why, I am not entirely sure)
2) Order of the Phoenix
3) Goblet of Fire
4) Chamber of Secrets
5) Half Blood Prince
6) Sorceror's Stone

shavedaeyebrow2
07-15-2007, 10:48 PM
For me, it looks like this:

1) Prisoner of Azkaban (why, I am not entirely sure)
2) Order of the Phoenix
3) Goblet of Fire
4) Chamber of Secrets
5) Half Blood Prince
6) Sorceror's Stone

Really? Half Blood Prince was definitely my favorite. Why do you have it ranked so low (I know people have different opinions but I just want to know)?

Canadian_kid16
07-15-2007, 11:04 PM
hmm, I don't want to read through all 8 pages...but has anyone realized that some fine looking girls have been picked out for the movies??

Even Luna is above average

BuffaloDraftGeek
07-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Actually, you're a bit off. As her audience grew up, so did her books. Instead of changing her target audience, she allowed her writing to evolve as their reading skills did. Those who read and found the first book interested, despite being much older, can still read and find the last one interesting.

BuffaloDraftGeek
07-15-2007, 11:45 PM
As far as ranking the books. First let me say, the first 3 and the last 3 I view as completely different. So, for the first 3, I'd have to say 3, 1, then 2. I wasn't a big fan of COS. As far as the last, more involved 3.

Half-blood Prince: Just simply the best, most involved book, IMO.
Goblet of Fire: Absolutely loved it. First really deep and involved book. Plus, had a unique story outline.
Order of the Pheonix: Never liked this one, because the first half of the book is just harry going through depression, got boring.

Boston
07-16-2007, 01:02 AM
It's amazing how hopeless the seventh book looks, after re-reading the sixth book. What with Dumbledore gone, Bill injured, etc., and the seemingly insurmountable task at hand at finding, and destroying the remaining horcruxes. Not to mention the fact that they have to find someway to kill Voldemort after the horcruxes are destroyed.

BlindSite
07-16-2007, 06:49 AM
It's amazing how hopeless the seventh book looks, after re-reading the sixth book. What with Dumbledore gone, Bill injured, etc., and the seemingly insurmountable task at hand at finding, and destroying the remaining horcruxes. Not to mention the fact that they have to find someway to kill Voldemort after the horcruxes are destroyed.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a few horcruxes went boom Voldemort came looking for a blue.

Boston
07-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if after a few horcruxes went boom Voldemort came looking for a blue.

Voldemort can't feel the Horcruxes being destroyed.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-16-2007, 01:46 PM
It doesnt mean that Voldemort wont check up on his Horcruxes.And didnt Snape have to cure Dumbledore after he got Marvolos ring?Any chance he knew what was going on?

thule
07-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes Snape did cure DD. The thing is I can't seem to remember if DD had to tell snape how it happened in order for Snape to cure it. I'm reading a book 7 fanfict and it appears that Snape did know about the horcrux's but I don't buy it. Because DD said to Harry in HBP that they were the only two that knew about the Horcrux's.

Speaking of which...is there anyone in here who does infact think Snape is on the dark side? I'd like to see opinions of people who think he is.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Yes Snape did cure DD. The thing is I can't seem to remember if DD had to tell snape how it happened in order for Snape to cure it. I'm reading a book 7 fanfict and it appears that Snape did know about the horcrux's but I don't buy it. Because DD said to Harry in HBP that they were the only two that knew about the Horcrux's.

Speaking of which...is there anyone in here who does infact think Snape is on the dark side? I'd like to see opinions of people who think he is.
I just don't like the guy so I just hope he is evil so he can get his ass kicked. Based on what I've seen people saying, he is probably good, but I hope not.

thule
07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Another topic that goes overlooked as commie pointed out a few posts back. What if DD was wrong. What if Nagini isn't a horcrux. Wouldn't that put a twist in things. If Nagini isn't a Horcrux I'm going to go with Harry is one. Harry Potter dying would clinch the series for me of being untouchable.

Xiomera
07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Really? Half Blood Prince was definitely my favorite. Why do you have it ranked so low (I know people have different opinions but I just want to know)?

I don't know really, I just didn't find HBP to be quite as interesting as some of the other books.

I have a hard time ranking them at all. They should be viewed as a whole, IMO.

BlindSite
07-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Another topic that goes overlooked as commie pointed out a few posts back. What if DD was wrong. What if Nagini isn't a horcrux. Wouldn't that put a twist in things. If Nagini isn't a Horcrux I'm going to go with Harry is one. Harry Potter dying would clinch the series for me of being untouchable.

Not a bad theory, but then again the prohecy the old bird spat out was "neither can live while the other survives" which says to me, only one of them is going to croak it. Voldemort only performed a ritual on him once and that was the 4th book to bring him back to life. From all accounts he just blasted harry in the initial encounter and then from books 2-4 he didn't face voldemort until book 5 when he wouldn't have had time either.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM

I just can't find Harry being a horocrux likely. Seeing as Voldemort's soul would be part of him. Idk though it would explain why they are similiar, it's all speculation at this point

BuffaloDraftGeek
07-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Unlogical though. That would mean harry has to kill himself then have someone else kill voldy.

I do however believe the snake is not a horcrux. I think that instead of either ravenclaw or gryph, there will be one of each. For some reason, as odd as it seems, I think the sword or gryph might be one.

BuffaloDraftGeek
07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Not a bad theory, but then again the prohecy the old bird spat out was "neither can live while the other survives" which says to me, only one of them is going to croak it. Voldemort only performed a ritual on him once and that was the 4th book to bring him back to life. From all accounts he just blasted harry in the initial encounter and then from books 2-4 he didn't face voldemort until book 5 when he wouldn't have had time either.

He faced voldamort in book 4.

Cashmoney
07-16-2007, 10:32 PM
since no one else seems to think harry is a horcrux, im gonna go ahead and call that he is a horcrux.

Beans
07-16-2007, 10:41 PM
There's no way Harry's a Horcrux. Voldemort split his soul in seven, and planted the Horcruxes long before he went after James & Lily. To make something a Horcrux, it takes difficult magic, and he would have had to had Harry for a good period of time, not to mention that Harry had no significant meaning to him, because he figured he would be dead in a few seconds the moment he met him.

Javzz
07-16-2007, 10:57 PM
There's no way Harry's a Horcrux. Voldemort split his soul in seven, and planted the Horcruxes long before he went after James & Lily. To make something a Horcrux, it takes difficult magic, and he would have had to had Harry for a good period of time, not to mention that Harry had no significant meaning to him, because he figured he would be dead in a few seconds the moment he met him.

If I'm remebering right, didn't Dumbledore say he thought Voldemort was going to make his 7th horcux the night in which he killed Harry? Something a long the line of Voldemort only created horcux's over significant murders. Again, if I'm remembering right, him failing in killing Harry was the reason in Dumbledore's speculation in why his snake was made into one.

Hurricane Ditka
07-16-2007, 11:05 PM
He faced voldamort in book 4.
And Tom Riddle and the Basilk in Book 2

Beans
07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
If I'm remebering right, didn't Dumbledore say he thought Voldemort was going to make his 7th horcux the night in which he killed Harry? Something a long the line of Voldemort only created horcux's over significant murders. Again, if I'm remembering right, him failing in killing Harry was the reason in Dumbledore's speculation in why his snake was made into one.

Yeah, but he wouldn't have been able to do so as just 1/7th of a soul, which is what he was after he attacked Harry.

thule
07-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Another point of speculation that I found kinda interesting. Voldy really wanted to get a peice of all 4 of the founders. Knowing that the Sword and Hat were unattainable he decided to turn Goderic's tomb into a horcrux...maybe not the tomb but a statue or something...I don't find this likely..s.ince once again a horcrux open to the public could be very stupid..but it definately would make sense from the founder standpoint. It would also make sense how the killing spell backfired and accidentally turned harry into a horcrux. I'm not ubying this topic either but i just thought i would throw it out there.

BlindSite
07-17-2007, 12:27 AM
He keeps trying to kill harry and tried again in book 5, in book 6 he said it had to be him to kill him when snape fragged dumbledore and was running away.

He wouldn't make him into a horcrux just to kill him later, otherwise he'd be trying to keep him alive.

Namy
07-17-2007, 01:22 AM
supposedly the harry potter 7th book is up online. Yes... all of it. An employee must've stole it. A picture of every page has been taken (grand total of 754). I haven't downloaded it myself so i cant tell you if i think it's authentic or not. Reading online hurts my eyes and it's a grip load to dl. But if any of you guys are interested, it's on Piratebay (download torrent file) uploaded by a guy named Yamathan. Cheers.

BlindSite
07-17-2007, 05:27 AM
From what I've "heard" it is real, apparently, from what I've "heard" it is difficult to read.

Namy
07-17-2007, 05:56 AM
my friend who is reading it says it's "TOO GOOD TO STOP NOW". He was on page 180 before he went to sleep. He didn't tell me any spoilers tho, but w/the online leakage, im sure there will be plenty of spoilers floating around before the book comes out...

...hell, I hated how I knew about Snape's murder of Dumbledore before I got to that part.

BlindSite
07-17-2007, 06:32 AM
If you're posting spoilers, as per warned you will get your ass kicked.

Dam8610
07-17-2007, 06:38 AM
That's probably just speculation on his part.

BlindSite
07-17-2007, 07:06 AM
All I know is there's a copy now circulating the internets.

Cashmoney
07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Another point of speculation that I found kinda interesting. Voldy really wanted to get a peice of all 4 of the founders. Knowing that the Sword and Hat were unattainable he decided to turn Goderic's tomb into a horcrux...maybe not the tomb but a statue or something...I don't find this likely..s.ince once again a horcrux open to the public could be very stupid..but it definately would make sense from the founder standpoint. It would also make sense how the killing spell backfired and accidentally turned harry into a horcrux. I'm not ubying this topic either but i just thought i would throw it out there.

thats what i was going for.

Philliez01
07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Well if anyone watched the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, I think that's what Ewing may have been referring too.

There's a gentleman's agreement here of course, that no spoilers should be leaked about 7.

I have it pre-ordered on Amazon but now I just found out that UPS does not ship on weekends. That's a shot to the balls.

Cashmoney
07-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Well if anyone watched the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, I think that's what Ewing may have been referring too.

There's a gentleman's agreement here of course, that no spoilers should be leaked about 7.

I have it pre-ordered on Amazon but now I just found out that UPS does not ship on weekends. That's a shot to the balls.

dude that sucks and i feel for you. i got mine pre-ordered at barnes & noble but i am definitely not going to get it at midnight. ill prob wait till sometime midday on saturday.

Philliez01
07-17-2007, 01:39 PM
dude that sucks and i feel for you. i got mine pre-ordered at barnes & noble but i am definitely not going to get it at midnight. ill prob wait till sometime midday on saturday.

Yeah I know. Is it me or is that a scam almost? I paid extra money for 1-Day Delivery (or its free) and the shipping thing doesn't do weekends? To quote Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe on Frasier, "THIS STINKS. THIS IS TOTAL BS"

thule
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I would like to find the person who leaked that book and murder them. Because anyone who takes the time to do that you would think would make it so it is f'n readable...wat a joke.

RoyHall#1
07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't know really, I just didn't find HBP to be quite as interesting as some of the other books.

I have a hard time ranking them at all. They should be viewed as a whole, IMO.

1. Order of the Phoenix (I see a lot of people have this last. But this has the best ending by far outside of #4, and I think it is the best book in the series overall)

2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Chamber of Secret's

4 days left, wow this has snuck up. But the next 4 days will feel like a month...

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I would like to find the person who leaked that book and murder them. Because anyone who takes the time to do that you would think would make it so it is f'n readable...wat a joke.
yeah especially if what Ewing said is true.

Ward
07-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Haha I found the spoilers online and read them. I know who dies fools!

wiscbadgerfootball
07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Haha I found the spoilers online and read them. I know who dies fools!

why would you though.. I would never want to ruin the book for myself

comahan
07-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Just to re-enforce my previous warning. Spoilers of any kind, deaths, plot endings, and so on, will not be tolerated in this thread. You can talk about what you think might happen as much as you want, but you cannot post rumored spoilers to book 7.

BamaFalcon59
07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Is this the last book coming up or what?? I'm thinking about starting the series. Should I start with number 1?

wiscbadgerfootball
07-17-2007, 07:57 PM
yeah this is the last.. I would definitely read them in order

Cashmoney
07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
damnit i think i found out what happens....

Philliez01
07-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I personally hated the Chamber of Secrets.

1)-Order of the Pheonix
It really showed Harry's growth as a person. He was pretty "Tickle me Emo" for a majority but all of the problems that went down pretty much made the story. I liked the Ministry's hatred, etc. Though I'm glad it was just for one book.

2)-Sorcerer's Stone
Looking back and reading it, it's just a better back. Everything is much more relaxed and it seems more fun.

3)-Goblet of Fire
Great book.

4)-Prisoner of Azkaban
I love this one but it's taken a hit as the books keep getting better.

5)-HBP
Seems more of a "setup" book so it's downgraded until DH comes out.

6)-Chamber of Secrets

They are all great though.

comahan
07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Just finished Deathly Hallows. I'm contemplating a Deathly Hallows Discussion thread, as it comes out like, tomorrow night, i believe. Id like to have separate areas for discussion for people who haven't, and have read the last book, so as to avoid ruining anything for anyone.

Philliez01
07-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Well I haven't yet read DH, waiting for the preorder to hopefully come.

But I do believe that a seperate discussion thread is worthy. I don't want to come online at say, 12 noon on Saturday and see a thread titled:

"______ DIES"

Notredameleo
07-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Just finished Deathly Hallows. I'm contemplating a Deathly Hallows Discussion thread, as it comes out like, tomorrow night, i believe. Id like to have separate areas for discussion for people who haven't, and have read the last book, so as to avoid ruining anything for anyone.

How? it doesnt come out until saturday...! How long did it take you to finish it?

BrownsTown
07-19-2007, 10:54 PM
GOD DAMNIT! I was just on youtube listening to music (I do that, I just look up the videos for the songs and listen to them), and one of the comments was some asshole who listed off every person who died in the book. Man, I have an 8 hour car ride about 2 days after the book came out and I was planning on reading it but now I'm seriously disheartened.

BrownsTown
07-19-2007, 10:55 PM
How? it doesnt come out until saturday...! How long did it take you to finish it?

Someone got an advance copy and scanned all the pages, tons of file sharing websites have it.

comahan
07-19-2007, 11:06 PM

Being an NFLDC mod has its privileges. Muhaha.

And it took me 3 days of off and on reading, i think. Reading anytime im free.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Being an NFLDC mod has its privileges. Muhaha.

And it took me 3 days of off and on reading, i think. Reading anytime im free.
How did it rank among all of the books for you? Was it your favorite or was it just alright? Don't say like 'The ending disappointed me' just say where it would rank. I don't want even the slightest bit of spoiler!

comahan
07-19-2007, 11:32 PM
How did it rank among all of the books for you? Was it your favorite or was it just alright? Don't say like 'The ending disappointed me' just say where it would rank. I don't want even the slightest bit of spoiler!

Honestly I dont know. I did think it was very good. If I had to rank it, id say... 2nd behind GoF, but I hold a special fondness for that book that I cant explain.

Boston
07-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, I suppose that makes this my last visit to this thread for a few days, or the internet for that matter... :)

Beans
07-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, I suppose that makes this my last visit to this thread for a few days, or the internet for that matter... :)

quoted for truth

comahan
07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Yea, as of tomorrow, I would suggest anyone not having read the book yet stay out of this thread, as I cant do anything about it, because its no longer a spoiler.

Boston
07-19-2007, 11:50 PM
One thread should be good. There was months for speculation.

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Yea, as of tomorrow, I would suggest anyone not having read the book yet stay out of this thread, as I cant do anything about it, because its no longer a spoiler.

Good point. I probably will not go on the computer tomorrow at all. For the first person to do a spoiler, comahan could you like add a blurb that says "Book 7 Details on Page 7?"

comahan
07-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Good point. I probably will not go on the computer tomorrow at all. For the first person to do a spoiler, comahan could you like add a blurb that says "Book 7 Details on Page 7?"

Yep. Will do.

BlindSite
07-20-2007, 06:43 AM

His spoilers make no sense, I've completed the 7th book.

This goes for everyone, most of the spoilers I've found online, are somewhat inaccurate, some aren't some are. MY advice read the book and enjoy it really is a great read.

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Yep. Will do.

Alright, thanks a lot!

How many pages is DH by the way?

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I think its over 700.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I heard like 740

comahan
07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
It is 784.

comahan
07-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, the book has been released in the UK, and will be released in a bit more than 5 hours in the US. I suppose that we can now start discussing the actual book and what happens.

I tagged the thread as Book 7 Discussion with Results, hopefully that'll keep people out who want to read the book before seeing what happens.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I will make sure not to look in this thread again then

SubNoize
07-20-2007, 06:40 PM
so are all the internet rumors of ron, lupin, percy, snape and voldemort dying true??? i don't really read the books and i don't want to wait to see the damn movie in 09, my g/f is reading the book now and will give the details i'm just wondering if these "spoilers" are correct.

comahan
07-20-2007, 06:42 PM
so are all the internet rumors of ron, lupin, percy, snape and voldemort dying true??? i don't really read the books and i don't want to wait to see the damn movie in 09, my g/f is reading the book now and will give the details i'm just wondering if these "spoilers" are correct.

They are not completely accurate, no. One reason for this, was there were a few extremely well written fan fictions, where people wrote their own versions of book 7, and people got ahold of them and posted them everywhere online saying it was the real book.

SubNoize
07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
looks like i will be reading my first harry potter then, i hate people who make stuff up. i guess the only for sure thing is voldemort and ron, i'm almost positive they're both gone.

BlindSite
07-20-2007, 08:34 PM

SPOILER BELOW IN WHITE

Lupin and Tonks die, Ron survives, Fred gets killed by a giant I think Snape gets killed by voldemort if you want more, Percy comes back and fights well PM me.

comahan
07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Book 7 talk in white;

[ What did you think of the actual Hallows? They turned out to be quite the opposite of what I expected them to be. ]

BlindSite
07-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I was a little surprised but I thought it fit in nicely with the story, pretty cool infact how if you think about it Harry and Voldemort are like cousins a few times removed. I liked what they did with dumbledore and snape's characters especially. I really thought the epilogue was wishy washy and a bit over done, like she rushed to get it finished. The fight in the castle was cool as **** though

comahan
07-20-2007, 09:26 PM
I was a little surprised but I thought it fit in nicely with the story, pretty cool infact how if you think about it Harry and Voldemort are like cousins a few times removed. I liked what they did with dumbledore and snape's characters especially. I really thought the epilogue was wishy washy and a bit over done, like she rushed to get it finished. The fight in the castle was cool as **** though

Response below;

[ I give the epilogue a pass for being wishy washy and kiddish, its a chapter (kinda) about kids going to Hogwarts for the first time, the kids conversations, and the parents talking to the kids, so its naturally going to be a bit wishy washy, though, the name 'Albus Severus Potter" will never sound right, no matter how much I hear it.

I liked the Dumbledore's past subplot, and loved the Grindelwald part of it. Going into the book, I really hadnt considered how much new stuff she'd add, as opposed to simply tying up loose ends, finding horcruxes, and having a final battle.

Im always a huge fan for storylines like the Hallows one, legendary items and what not, no matter how many times its used, usually draws me in. I loved Ron's almost sarcastic lust of the Elder Wand, and Hermione just flat out refusing the existence of the items. it fits their characters perfectly.

Snape's character as a whole is great, and though I had an idea that he was probably good, I didnt think of him one bit when I was thinking of who the Doe Patronus belonged to.

One of my only complaints is lack of people like Ginny and Malfoy, I understand why they couldnt be in a large portion, but they were built up as important characters and really didnt do that much. To my knowledge all Ginny did was almost get killed, causing Mrs. Weasley to go crazy on Bella, which was awesome btw. And all Malfoy did was lose his wand, which turned out to be the Elder Wand. But all in all, oh well. Neville got a shining moment, which i was hoping for. He was like, the leader of the schools rebellion, and he killed Nagini, which was another great moment. ]

Hines
07-21-2007, 01:42 AM
i should tell my mom abuot this hahaha..just to piss her off

comahan
07-21-2007, 05:06 AM
i should tell my mom abuot this hahaha..just to piss her off

Yes, because thats hilarious.

Caddy
07-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Just finished the book then and thoroughly enjoyed it. A fitting ending in my opinion.

scottyboy
07-21-2007, 11:42 AM
any possibility i could find a copy in stores today? i'd bet they're all sold out in all book stores but any non-book stores that may carry them that people wouldnt look for them? im soo pi$$ed i didnt reserve one.

SubNoize
07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
go to target, they had tons and didn't stay open till midnite.

comahan
07-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Just got my copy from Amazon. I suppose i could re-read it...

rainbeaukid2
07-21-2007, 03:47 PM
is the book good? i just picked it up and will probably have it finished tonight

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-21-2007, 04:25 PM
How can you guys read so much in so little time? Anyway I think it woulda been really cool if Harry died in some awesome gruesome way and then they showed it when the movie came out. That woulda been sweet.

josh07039
07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
how long did it take everyone who finished? it took me about 10-11 hours of reading.

Scotty D
07-21-2007, 09:56 PM
A little after 2 until 10 30 tonight. With bathroom breaks and dinner.

BrownsTown
07-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Just finished. Spoilers below in white

When Mrs. Weasley killed Bellatrix, that might have been my favorite moment in a book ever. It was like something out of ******* Jerry Springer.

I kinda liked the ending, but I wish at least one of the main characters could've died. It was cool what they did with Snape, but instead of kill off an annoying main character (Hermione), they kill off my favorite character (Fred) and I liked Lupin and Tonks too, which sucks. Why couldn't she kill off Wormtail? Noone likes him.

Javzz
07-22-2007, 02:30 AM
Finished reading it a little while ago. I couldn't haved asked for more, really. The Dumbledore-Grindelwald sideplot was probably my favorite part of the book, sans possibly the "The Prince's Tale", or something of that sort, chapter. The blemish on the what looked like perfect mentor in Dumbledore was wonderfully done. It left me really wishing we had gotten a pensieve memory or something of the sort describing the duel between the two.

Caddy
07-22-2007, 04:45 AM

When Mrs. Weasley killed Bellatrix, that might have been my favorite moment in a book ever. It was like something out of ******* Jerry Springer.

I kinda liked the ending, but I wish at least one of the main characters could've died. It was cool what they did with Snape, but instead of kill off an annoying main character (Hermione), they kill off my favorite character (Fred) and I liked Lupin and Tonks too, which sucks. Why couldn't she kill off Wormtail? Noone likes him.

You don't consider Voldemort a main character?

BlindSite
07-22-2007, 05:25 AM

yeah Lupin and Tonks getting killed was kind of WTF?

Caddy
07-22-2007, 05:55 AM
yeah Lupin and Tonks getting killed was kind of WTF?

I was really surprised by it. It kind of just came out of nowhere.

Beans
07-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I finished it at 3 last night, so here's my words to say.

To start off, Neville is a ******* badass. Goddamn, he got awesome. Oh, and Mrs. Weasly vs. Bellatrix was pretty kickass too.

I hadn't even realized Lupin and Tonks had died, until Harry turned the stone, I had to go back in check. The way she phrased it, it sounded like they were just asleep. I also hadn't realized that Ginny didn't even do anything until you guys mentioned it just now, which sucks, I think everyone expected more of her.

I was really dissapointed though, in the last chapter of the book. I was hoping to see what happened to everyone, not just the four of them and small glimpses of Neville and Malfoy. What happened to Luna? She was one of my favorite characters, I was under the assumption that she and Neville would end up together. Did George continue WWW? Did Harry end up and Auror? Etc? Etc? She gave us nada though. Also, I wanted a list of those who died in the battle, or at least of those who died who we've heard of before.

Still, Neville's totally badass.

Also: How did Hermione survive, while unconscious, a ******* falling chadellier?

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Same, I finished at 3 in the AM as well.

I am pretty pissed at the epilogue. I expected like a paragraph or a snippet of information on what happened to everyone. Luna, did she continue the Quibbler? Did Oliver Wood continue his Quidditch career? What happened with Bill, Fleur, Charlie, etc.? Did Pansy Parkinson marry Draco? I would've liked more info on Neville. I kinda hated killing off Hedwig.

Also, great book. They seemed to rush things early on with the Ministry, they finally mentioned in a paragraph that they were spying on them. I was getting a bit lost in the beginning portion.

Didn't exactly like the battle. I hated Voldemort going down like that. Probably the greatest, or one of the greatest, villains ever went down really quick. I expected something like "The streak of green light came hurtling towards him. It seemed everything was lost in translation. Then, he fell." or something else.

Also, after seeing the beginning. I kinda want to know if Harry ever caught up with Dudley? The epilogue left too many holes.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I really am dissapointed that Fred died.The twins were one of my favorite characters.
Im glad Draco wasnt killed which is what I heard before I read the book.He always needs to be there.
neville was awesome.Its good to see his Gran proud of him.
Its all cleared up with the Snape issue.Shame he had to die.
I agree with what someone else said id like a more detailed epilouge.
I also like the role that Grindelwald played.

Caddy
07-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I think the fact that important characters who everyone liked such as Fred Weasley is what makes the book better. It plays on everyones emotions and can actually make us feel disappointed. Not many other books do that.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-22-2007, 04:32 PM
I realized that Ive been reading these books for almost 10 years now.Kinda weird how their now over.

badgerbacker
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Well looking back, my early prediction wasn't too far off with the last horcrux and Harry almost having to die. All in all, I really enjoyed the ending although I would have liked to see a little Harry/Ginny action before the epilogue. I didn't have too big of a problem with the short epilogue because, while I would have liked to have seen what happened to some of the other characters, I can understand that she wanted to keep it short and not have to start a spin-off series about their adult lives.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 06:28 PM
I realized that Ive been reading these books for almost 10 years now.Kinda weird how their now over.

Yeah, I know. Usually after I read the latest installment of the series, I would go back and read 1-whatever. Now, it's like a sense of closure.

Cashmoney
07-22-2007, 09:11 PM
since no one else seems to think harry is a horcrux, im gonna go ahead and call that he is a horcrux.

I called it.

07-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I called it.

To a certain extent.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
It's over :(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, I didn't want this series to end :(

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 10:36 PM
It's over :(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, I didn't want this series to end :(

Don't worry, it's only a matter of time before "Albus Potter and the Phoenix's Feather is out

RoyHall#1
07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Main feeling after finishing is sadness that it's all over...

shavedaeyebrow2
07-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Don't worry, it's only a matter of time before "Albus Potter and the Phoenix's Feather is out

Of course he will be fighting Malfoy's son Scorpius (who will end up killing Lucius for ditching Voldemort)

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Of course he will be fighting Malfoy's son Scorpius (who will end up killing Lucius for ditching Voldemort)

lol. It would be odd though, because since Ron and Hermione got married, there would be no "3rd friend". I just am mad that I finished it, as I really won't read any of the books again probably. It just feels like, everything was just great but unrepeatable. I will probably read the 1st book again, it's an enjoyable book IMO, but 5 and 6 would just serve no purpose. I might as well jump from Goblet of Fire to Deathly Hallows.

I really wish there would be another book she would make. It was fun hypothesizing for a FEW years, what would happen in the next book then reading it finally.

Also, what are your "unanswered questions". JK said that there wouldn't be, but I have a few.

-What happened to Luna?
-What was Dudley's "worst moments" that he experienced with the dementor in Book 5?
-What exactly happened to Fudge, Umbridge, the rest?
-Was Harry publicized after defeating Voldemort? IMO, they should've ended the last chapter with a Daily Prophet article then went to the epilogue.
-Did Weasley's Wizard Wheezes (or whatever) keep running without Fred? Or did Percy take over?

shavedaeyebrow2
07-22-2007, 11:06 PM
I CAN't BELIEVE IT'S OVER! I'll get over soon enough, but for now, it's just sad to think that the series I've been reading for so long is finally over.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Just a question, a lot of u have finished the book in under 24 hours? And it is 785 pages long. I haven't read 785 pages in my 18 years on earth....so it must be a really good book....

Took me about 15 hours. I was watching Beckham, the Phillies and the NASCAR race in about one swing so I kinda multi-tasked and probably forgot what happened in a few pages.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-22-2007, 11:36 PM
-What happened to Luna?
-What was Dudley's "worst moments" that he experienced with the dementor in Book 5?
-What exactly happened to Fudge, Umbridge, the rest?
-Was Harry publicized after defeating Voldemort? IMO, they should've ended the last chapter with a Daily Prophet article then went to the epilogue.
-Did Weasley's Wizard Wheezes (or whatever) keep running without Fred? Or did Percy take over?

yah Id like to know what happened to the Dursleys afterwards.Obviously what Dudley said and the fact that Petunia wanted to be a witch.
I also heard that someone late in life would be able to do magic.Like a squib.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-22-2007, 11:43 PM
What if JK didnt answer those questions and instead left us a cliff hanger.It would be lame if she did that.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah, she did say that doingthisinsteadofwork. There are still some questions I have, so I think she will probably do a "Where are they now" thing or something, on her site that says what happened.

JT Jag
07-23-2007, 02:14 AM
The book was good. The ending could have been fleshed out.

Overall, I'm content.

kwilk103
07-23-2007, 03:38 AM
I didnít like the epilogue; there were too many loose ends; the main one I wanted to know was did Harry end up being an Auror? I know thatís what he wanted to be when he grew up.

Scar
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Spent all day Saturday reading it. Definitely one of the best books in the series. Most of the things everyone was speculating about ahead of time turned out to be painfully obvious. No real twists or surprises in terms of things such as the horcruxes, etc. Only real new ground was covered in the Dumbledore and Snape flashblacks, the explanation given to their motivations was good to learn, even if, again, no real surprises. Loved the pace of the book, starting out with a bang and moving along quickly through the end. Personally, I could've done without the epilogue, would've rather Rowling had just left the future to our imaginations instead of hastily sewing up a few loose ends like that, but did appreciate the humor of her writing there that she'd had to abandon for almost the entire book in order to maintain it's dark and perilous feel.

thule
07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Pretty tough to say. Voldemort will die. Snape and Harry will live. People like luna are hard to place. Neville might be someone who dies. I think Ginny lives because of what JK has came out and said about her. Hagrid will live I don't think harry can talk many more close deaths to him. Ron and Hermoine are toss ups at this point to me.

It's clear that Harry is going to need some help for someone who was/is close to Voldemort. Hermoine is smart but still doesn't have that type of knowledge that dumbledore did persay. After all Snape did make an unbreakable trust with draco's mom...and don't forget the warewolf getting pissed at draco. Snape basically had 3 choices. Let the warewolf/other deatheaters get draco/let volde get draco/or kill dumbledore...It's not like he had the choice...snap has always been a selfish person so he chose himself over dumbledore. I think it's quite obvious that he is good...the catch is how will he gain some of harry's trust.

Yes, Harry is going to have to get information from there. Hermoine will have to be able to access the library. Harry is going to need to get into the room of requirements because of the tiera and the potions book.

Harry and Ginny should happen imo but I have a feeling it's inevitable.
Ron and Hermoine will be together...something tells me they can't withstand it tho due to some problem that comes up.
Neville and Luna might be a fun one to see happen.

Question 5: /What/Where are the Horcruxes?
1. Tom Riddle's diary - COS
2. Marvolo Gaunt's ring - Gaunt shack
3. Salazar Slytherin's locket - grimauld place
This one seems to be a dead lock to me. It might have went out with mundungus but the locket in grimauld place was this one.
4. Helga Hufflepuff's cup - location is hard for me on this one...i'm going to go with where voldemort first started working...lots of old relics...plus harry has been there before...only logical place i can think of.
5. Rowena Ravenclaw Tiera - gringrotts
This one is a bit of a reach...but this is the mystery. The bill weasley is getting married and mrs. weasley talks about this tiera that they have at grigrotts.
6. Nagini - murder of Frank Bryce in GoF....along with Voldemort.
7. Voldemort - Battle will be at deathly hollows imo.

Yes, the question is how...I think it's obvious that it has to be harry. But Harry is not powerful enough to pull it off by himself. Voldemort will be weaked from the horcrux's being destroyed so it'll be interesting.

The grounds at which harry's parents were killed.

Looking back at this I was fairly close. Hit the horcrux locations. For some reason I didn't think Voldy would instill another horcrux iwth a death eater. That one really got me...I guessed wrong on the tiara but i was really on the edge of the one in the RoR anyways. Harry being a horcrux was my initial speculation but I didn't think you could be removed of a horcrux and still live...but I think I was fairly on about that one.

I had absolutely no ideas about the hallows disappointed...but don't think i could have gotten it anyways.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Looking back at this I was fairly close. Hit the horcrux locations. For some reason I didn't think Voldy would instill another horcrux iwth a death eater. That one really got me...I guessed wrong on the tiara but i was really on the edge of the one in the RoR anyways. Harry being a horcrux was my initial speculation but I didn't think you could be removed of a horcrux and still live...but I think I was fairly on about that one.

I had absolutely no ideas about the hallows disappointed...but don't think i could have gotten it anyways.
I'll still write in white.
It would make sense that he put it in the Lestranges vault.After all it was an old very well protected.And Bellatrix was Voldy's most loyal follower.Even then he still wanted it highly protected if he had known that they were hunting down his Horcruxes it would have been near impossible to steal Hufflepuffs cup.